Author Topic: MATA and PATA ( Parental Leave )  (Read 101855 times)

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: MATA and PATA ( Parental Leave )
« Reply #225 on: February 06, 2018, 21:47:12 »
It would be silly for you CoC to prioritize your course over your family.  Yes, it is per the instructions but there are chances it'd break you or your family.  The implications for the CAF would be greater than defering a career course for a couple of months...

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
« Reply #226 on: February 06, 2018, 22:34:06 »
Do you mind posting the ref for that...Id like to add that to my bookmarks of useful mil refs

Interesting to see what military considers imparative...and really I dont think any of those are worthy of denying parental (besides a legal summons but thats kind of a interesting one). I would argue that there isn't one example of where a person isn't replaceable. Lets be honest, there is always someone else that can replace us, and career courses are run regularly.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 22:38:13 by sidemount »
Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #227 on: February 07, 2018, 05:34:01 »
I always thought “imperative” meant that it was only something you and you only could do.

If the Op/Mission/task would fail without your presence, then I’d say that’s imperative (IMHO).

I’ve never seen a career course trump parental leave.

You can be recalled off parental leave for stuff (courts martial, posting, etc..).

Offline Nuggs

• Rate Post
« Reply #228 on: February 07, 2018, 07:34:25 »
Do you mind posting the ref for that...Id like to add that to my bookmarks of useful mil refs

Interesting to see what military considers imparative...and really I dont think any of those are worthy of denying parental (besides a legal summons but thats kind of a interesting one). I would argue that there isn't one example of where a person isn't replaceable. Lets be honest, there is always someone else that can replace us, and career courses are run regularly.

Leave Policy Manual

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash."
Attributed to, and denied by, Winston Churchill

Offline Nuggs

• Rate Post
« Reply #229 on: February 07, 2018, 07:58:04 »
Agreed.

In past experience with subordinates I've never seen it be an issue for either CMs or COs. Especially if it was a Killick / Corporal.

I have seen two times in the past... One was a Senior NCM that needed the course for an OUTCAN that would have followed parental leave. And the other one was a Junior NCM involving a career course thats run rarely (every 18 months or so).

I have had one CO that attempted to block my own parental (70 days), for a forcegen sail.

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash."
Attributed to, and denied by, Winston Churchill

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #230 on: February 07, 2018, 08:01:54 »
Keep in mind the OP is brand new to the CAF and is waiting for a QL3 course for AVS tech. If that course is not run very often and the OP was not planning on taking the full year, I can definitely see where the imperative military requirement could be used. This is not deferring a QL5 or PLQ, its to get the member to OFP.

Let's make sure we have the whole story before anyone starts claiming decisively that it's not IMR.

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
« Reply #231 on: February 07, 2018, 08:56:11 »
Leave Policy Manual

And right at the very first of it....thanks, I obviously skipped right over that part.

Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #232 on: February 07, 2018, 11:56:16 »
What would you do, say for an individual working on a sponsored Masters programme, where the courses required are only run the winter semester, and is scheduled to finish at the end of the school year? Allowing the member to take time away from their studies could mean the individual now needs to wait until Jan 2019 to complete their training.

Offline Rheostatic

• Rate Post
  • Don't shoot the messenger
« Reply #233 on: May 31, 2018, 15:24:53 »
Have there been any changes to CAF parental leave periods and benefits since the 2017 introduction of "Extended parental benefits" to the federal employment insurance program? Or, is it still limited to 37 weeks within the first year?

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #234 on: May 31, 2018, 16:44:09 »
There was a CANFORGEN late last year. Short version: top up is still one year total MATA PATA combined,  but EI can be extended.

There are pension implications.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Rheostatic

• Rate Post
« Reply #235 on: June 01, 2018, 08:26:46 »
There was a CANFORGEN late last year. Short version: top up is still one year total MATA PATA combined,  but EI can be extended.

There are pension implications.
Thanks. Basically the CANFORGEN says, no change until the policies are updated. QR&O 16.27 still reads "(4) (Period of Leave) The period of parental leave is up to... a period of 37 weeks", and for Class A reserve members, QR&O 9.10 reads "(3) (Period of Exemption) The period of exemption from duty and training for parental purposes is up to... a period of 37 weeks"

I understand that EI can be extended, but you'd need to be on leave to get EI. Are members being allowed to take some other non-parental LWOP after their 37 weeks, to extend their leave up to 61 weeks? (I'm not concerned with allowances, just leave.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 08:59:57 by Rheostatic »

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #236 on: June 01, 2018, 08:33:04 »
In the LWOP table in the leave manual, the final item in the table includes leave for other purposes; if it's over 30 days, DGMC is the approving authority.

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

Offline Rheostatic

• Rate Post
« Reply #237 on: June 01, 2018, 08:51:08 »
OK, in practice, is that how extended parental leave is currently being handled, using "leave for other purposes"?

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #238 on: June 01, 2018, 09:12:41 »
That's my understanding.