Author Topic: QUESTIONS about JOINING THE RESERVES  (Read 202306 times)

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services pai
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
Re: QUESTIONS about JOINING THE RESERVES
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2012, 22:58:59 »
If you have a situation where you wouldn't be chewing gum, don't use your chew.

There's bigger things to worry about.
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Offline PJGary

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2012, 03:50:10 »
I have never seen anyone take any issue to/for chewing, minus 3 very obvious inappropriate times contrary to common courtesy.

-Someone in a class who spat so loud it sounded like a movie sound effect.
-Someone who left a nice present in a sink for the CSM on his walkaround of the lines (no chewing in building for a month).
-Someone on battle school who got caught with a lipper in during a drill class (I don't know his logic, I'm not a doctor).

I find it hard to imagine why someone who one was working with would have that big of a grievance with it if it was done discreetly and cleanly, but then again I'm kind of part of the problem on this issue ;) *ptew*

:2c:
Cù-Chaorach

The 3 rules of the army:

Rule #1: Always look cool.
Rule #2: Always know what you're doing.
Rule #3: If you don't know what you're doing...always look cool.

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2012, 04:04:32 »
We used to have a policy on the airbus not to allow passengers to chew after one to many Flight Attendants reached into a seat back to clean it out and found either a water bottle half full of spit, or even worse, one of the paper cups leaking over the place.

I know some Scandinavian officers who use this brand of spitless chewing tobacco, more of a dip they keep tucked  into their cheek/lip area. They only spit it out when they are done.

Offline fireman1867

• Rate Post
  • Chuck Norris sleeps with a pillow under his gun
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2012, 05:58:33 »
1CAD Vol3

.  Use of Tobacco Products 

5. The use of tobacco products is forbidden on all 1 Cdn Air Div aircraft.  Use of tobacco includes the act of lighting, chewing, expectorating, or smoking a product containing tobacco.     

Offline shuban

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2012, 20:57:00 »
The harms of chewing tobacco is greater than smoking.

Offline Snaketnk

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2012, 22:19:35 »
Some units do have restrictions on chewing tobacco, unless its changed, 2 RCR isn't allowed chewing except in designated smoking areas.

In my section we had a policy of NO CLEAR SPITOONS because it's friggin gross to look at.
-------
Pro Patria

Offline Redeye

Living The Afghan National Army Dream...

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Hope Is Not A Method
    • The Unofficial Website of the Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2012, 22:23:00 »
We used to have a policy on the airbus not to allow passengers to chew after one to many Flight Attendants reached into a seat back to clean it out and found either a water bottle half full of spit, or even worse, one of the paper cups leaking over the place.

I know some Scandinavian officers who use this brand of spitless chewing tobacco, more of a dip they keep tucked  into their cheek/lip area. They only spit it out when they are done.

It's called Snus. You can't get it in Canada per se, but you can get it by mail order. I switched to it when I was quitting smoking. Interestingly, because of the way it's processed (steam curing) it's being studied with great interest by harm reduction types as it doesn't contain significant quantities of tobacco-specific nitrosamines that are generally fingered as the main carcinogenic agent in tobacco. It doesn't require spitting, as it doesn't generate hypersalivation like North American chewing tobaccos. I got it from a Swedish website, and in small orders never once did I get customs hassles.

Better, however, to just use one of the mainly aids available to break the nicotine addiction. It's better in the long run.
Palma Non Sine Pulvere - Nothing Worth Having Comes Easily!

Offline VIChris

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2012, 00:23:45 »
Going to try some of this stuff soon:
http://www.dipstop.com/

I'll pass on a review when I get it.
Aspera Juvant!

Offline Redeye

Living The Afghan National Army Dream...

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Hope Is Not A Method
    • The Unofficial Website of the Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2012, 11:44:06 »
Going to try some of this stuff soon:
http://www.dipstop.com/

I'll pass on a review when I get it.

It's good. I used a mint "snuff" of a different type to wean myself off snus (sort of a three step process). It wasn't that kind but same idea.

Don't bother with the "Smokey Mountain" brand stuff you might see around. It's a sticky mess, not a good substitute.
Palma Non Sine Pulvere - Nothing Worth Having Comes Easily!

Offline Larry Strong

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • 546 days from 0 to being King of the Castle
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2012, 12:39:57 »
It's good. I used a mint "snuff" of a different type to wean myself off snus (sort of a three step process). It wasn't that kind but same idea.

Very similar to you, I used Copenhagen's Winter Green for a week and a half to quit smoking. I believe it kept the nicotine in my system yet broke my hands of the habit of lighting up. I was on a rig at the time and threw my tin out the window a mile from home, being a randy youngish buck at the time I knew SWMBO would not be receptive to a lip full...if you catch my drift ;D
Proud sponsor of the Maple Leaf Legacy Project. http://www.mapleleaflegacy.ca

Offline HollywoodCowboy

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2012, 04:23:08 »
What is your unit policy on chewing tobacco? I'm getting rode hard over me chewing. Can't do it in the garage...nor the smoking area. And I use a bottle to spit. Civvies cried foul to the Sgt over me. And this my way of getting my fix without smoking.  Seems to me that if you are unionized in DND, you get to go on a whining campaign. I hate garrison!

Sorry for the vent,
It pisses me off even now.. pills or not.

Your thoughts?

What did your Sgt do?
I have many T-shirts and hats.

Offline jackmomma

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2012, 15:13:00 »
I've been interested in joining the army for a while so i wnt ahead and contacted a recrutiter, he said that you are able to join the reserves at 16 with parental consent but today my mom wanted more information about the reserves so she contacted a recruiter and he told her that you cannot join reserves under the age of 18 so im just wondering if this is true?

Offline Lil r

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2012, 15:16:39 »
I joined the reserves at 16 with parental consent. The rules have changed a bit though since then, someone correct me if I am wrong. I believe it is 17 with parental consent for reserves and 16 with parental consent while applying for RMC

Offline jackmomma

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2012, 15:23:32 »
I joined the reserves at 16 with parental consent. The rules have changed a bit though since then, someone correct me if I am wrong. I believe it is 17 with parental consent for reserves and 16 with parental consent while applying for RMC
   Well that sucks i was really looking forward to enlisting but i've been waiting for 6 years one mores not so bad.

Offline Lil r

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2012, 15:29:12 »
Off forces.ca

Be 17 years of age (with parental or guardian consent) or older, except:

Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applicants, who must be 16 years of age or older

This has also been discussed on the this forum before, remember to use the search function (or google, it works better) before starting a new thread and good luck with your eventual process.

Offline C.G.R

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2012, 16:22:43 »
It is correct that the age is now 17. However I would still reccomend trying, for me they still processed me while I was 16 but I was not able to swear in until I turned 17. I can't guarantee it will happen, but its worth a try.

C.G.R
Don't outsmart your common sense.

Offline jackmomma

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2012, 16:30:27 »
yeah i hope i could get my processing done at least and to be honest i'm not sure if the guy even knew everything because he said there is no possible way to get into the forces until the age of 18 unless i do a high school coop program and i don't think thats true.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2012, 16:49:19 »
Patience, Youngling. The rest of your life before you, you have.

In the meantime, spellcheck, proper grammar, sentence structure, capitalization, and punctuation please use.

Welcome to Army.ca you are.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2012, 16:49:29 »
From CANFORGEN 038/11

3. IN THE RESERVE FORCE, AN APPLICANT MUST BE:

A. AGE 18, IF THE APPLICANT ENROLS IN THE COATS OR CANADIAN RANGERS

B. AGE 16, IF THE APPLICANT IS SELECTED FOR EDUCATION AND TRAINING AT A ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE OR OTHERWISE MAINTAINS FULL-TIME STUDENT STATUS UNTIL AGE 17.

Nothing here says that high school does not count. I know that I enrolled a guy in January who is 16 and who had no trouble going through CFRC. He's still in high school full time. I do not know if explicitly that reasoning was used by CFRC, but there was no hindrance and they certainly knew his age.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline jackmomma

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2012, 19:25:02 »
From CANFORGEN 038/11

3. IN THE RESERVE FORCE, AN APPLICANT MUST BE:

A. AGE 18, IF THE APPLICANT ENROLS IN THE COATS OR CANADIAN RANGERS

B. AGE 16, IF THE APPLICANT IS SELECTED FOR EDUCATION AND TRAINING AT A ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE OR OTHERWISE MAINTAINS FULL-TIME STUDENT STATUS UNTIL AGE 17.

Nothing here says that high school does not count. I know that I enrolled a guy in January who is 16 and who had no trouble going through CFRC. He's still in high school full time. I do not know if explicitly that reasoning was used by CFRC, but there was no hindrance and they certainly knew his age.

Yeah I'm going to head down to the recruiting office sometime next week and see if there's anyway I could at least start my processing now. I have no problem waiting I was just confused because I was told different things.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2012, 19:56:24 »

Yeah I'm going to head down to the recruiting office sometime next week and see if there's anyway I could at least start my processing now. I have no problem waiting I was just confused because I was told different things.

All you can do is get the forms and fill them out.  The CFRC will not process them until such time as you are of age.   The forms in the meantime may become lost or destroyed.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Brasidas

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2012, 20:37:35 »
All you can do is get the forms and fill them out.  The CFRC will not process them until such time as you are of age.   The forms in the meantime may become lost or destroyed.

The previous poster stated he had a member sworn in at 16 this past January. Given that, CFRC would process him at 16.

3b of CANFORGEN 038/11 would appear to apply.

Offline jackmomma

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2012, 22:23:52 »
I'm beyond confused I understand you need to be 17 to enlist but I have different people telling me all different things so I'm just going to have to wait till next week when I am able to go in to the recruiting centre to see what they have to say.

Offline Brasidas

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2012, 23:10:18 »
I'm beyond confused I understand you need to be 17 to enlist but I have different people telling me all different things so I'm just going to have to wait till next week when I am able to go in to the recruiting centre to see what they have to say.

Sounds like a plan. Let us know what CFRC's latest take is.

Offline Stevenhh

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2012, 23:25:48 »
Well you can look at my situation.

Currently I am still 16 (turn 17 in May) and I already started my application at an artillery reserve unit in Vancouver (dropped it off on Feb. 28th). I was told by the recruiter that all my testing and interview can be finished right now, but I have wait till my 17th birthday to actually be sworn in. (And for the trade to open up April 1st)

Steven H.