Author Topic: QUESTIONS about JOINING THE RESERVES  (Read 156884 times)

Offline jackmomma

• Rate Post
Re: QUESTIONS about JOINING THE RESERVES
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2012, 22:23:52 »
I'm beyond confused I understand you need to be 17 to enlist but I have different people telling me all different things so I'm just going to have to wait till next week when I am able to go in to the recruiting centre to see what they have to say.

Offline Brasidas

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2012, 23:10:18 »
I'm beyond confused I understand you need to be 17 to enlist but I have different people telling me all different things so I'm just going to have to wait till next week when I am able to go in to the recruiting centre to see what they have to say.

Sounds like a plan. Let us know what CFRC's latest take is.

Offline Stevenhh

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2012, 23:25:48 »
Well you can look at my situation.

Currently I am still 16 (turn 17 in May) and I already started my application at an artillery reserve unit in Vancouver (dropped it off on Feb. 28th). I was told by the recruiter that all my testing and interview can be finished right now, but I have wait till my 17th birthday to actually be sworn in. (And for the trade to open up April 1st)

Steven H.

Offline jackmomma

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2012, 10:32:36 »
I talked to them today and they said there is no way of joining at 16, 17 is the legal age and they recommended I go to the cadets.

Offline Greenr

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2012, 20:07:32 »
I talked to them today and they said there is no way of joining at 16, 17 is the legal age and they recommended I go to the cadets.

You are incorrect. Went to the CFRC the other day and was told at 16 I'm fine. I asked about the entry plan and he asked, "Are you in high school?" I of course answered yes. He told me that's it! So if you're 16, in high school and have parental consent you are in fact ale to join to reserves.

Offline Brasidas

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2012, 21:09:44 »
You are incorrect. Went to the CFRC the other day and was told at 16 I'm fine. I asked about the entry plan and he asked, "Are you in high school?" I of course answered yes. He told me that's it! So if you're 16, in high school and have parental consent you are in fact ale to join to reserves.

You might try PM'ing the name and contact info of that recruiter to the poster who was told otherwise.

Trying to trump a local CFRC recruiter's knowledge with "this guy on the internet told me you're wrong" might be less than productive.

A name@forces.gc.ca e-mail address should be sufficient.

Offline Greenr

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2012, 21:15:59 »
To be quite honest, I forget his name - if I saw it I would remember but there's no staff list for me to look up online. I'm surprised two different recruiters are saying two completely different things though.

He was from the Toronto CFRC and I believe it was polish (ended in ski) and started with a K.

MikeL

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2012, 21:19:52 »
Greenr, you are 16 years old right now correct?  Will you be turning 17 in this year? 

To enlist in the PRes you do have to be 17, this changed last year?  If you are currently 16 but will be turning 17 soon you can probably start the application process. Perhaps that is why your recruiter said it wasn't a problem.

Offline jackmomma

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2012, 21:22:42 »
Wow I am really getting fed up with this, everyone keeps saying 16 which i know is true but when I talk to somebody they tell me to go join the cadets.

MikeL

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2012, 21:26:28 »
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/howtoapply-106

To be eligible to apply to the Canadian Forces, you must meet the following three minimum requirements:

1. Be a Canadian Citizen

2. Be 17 years of age (with parental or guardian consent) or older, except: • Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applicants, who must be 16 years of age or older

3. Meet the minimum education requirements for your desired military occupation: • Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Quebec, and additional educational prerequisites as specified by the occupation

Online Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2012, 21:27:34 »
Wow I am really getting fed up with this, everyone keeps saying 16 which i know is true but when I talk to somebody they tell me to go join the cadets.

Trust me, it's 17.

Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline jackmomma

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2012, 21:27:52 »
But what about this also off the website
would like to join the Canadian Forces. What are the basic requirements?

You must meet the following minimal conditions: be a Canadian citizen; be at least 17 years of age (16 for the Reserves and Military College) with parental/guardian consent for minors; have successfully completed Grade 10 (Sec III in Quebec); some entry programs have additional academic prerequisites.

Online Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2012, 21:31:10 »
There was a message some time ago that stated the age for the Reserves is 17.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

MikeL

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2012, 21:32:48 »
jackmomma,  not all parts of that site are up to date;  trust us it is 17.  I believe the official message that states the change was posted on the forums aswell.

Offline jackmomma

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2012, 21:34:03 »
Yeah ill just wait, i'm just confused that some people were able to enlist at 16.

Offline Greenr

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2012, 21:37:52 »
Skeletor, yes I am 16. I've talked to him twice. I turned 16 last august and right after that I went into the CFRC to clear up the same issue this thread is about. I wanted to know what the training plan was. I was told it basically means that you're in school. He told me I would be fine to join up, but there weren't any openings.

For the thread poster, I suggest going into the CFRC again and talk to a different recruiter. But don't go for cadets, especially at this age - it's not worth it.

Offline jackmomma

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2012, 21:52:36 »
Well i'll go once more in the spring break to see again.

Offline Tape

• Rate Post
  • Hello
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2012, 20:39:53 »
Me and my friend have been wanting to join the reserves for quite a while now, and we've been looking at information about it, but I still have a few questions to ask. I have searched around the internet before posting, the Forces site itself has been very bleak with information. I plan on visiting a nearby recruitment centre (Moss Park) this weekend, but I figure I'll ask a few questions here first, if anyone can provide any information at all it would be helpful, thank you!

1. Where is the nearest location we can do BMQ? (I have a friend in the reserves, he said the nearest training base is CFB Trenton. This is quite far from where we live and neither of us own a car. I know that there are closer recruiting centres, but can we train at a location closer than Trenton?)

2. Although the minimum age to join is 17, there is something mentioned about a junior member program on the Forces site. The Forces site doesn't give much information about it, does anyone know what that's about? (I am 17 and my friend is 16. He will be 17 in January but we are very excited for this, the sooner we can start the better!)

3. If we were to do our BMQ during the summer, would we have the opportunity to live at the base for the 2 month duration, or would we need to commute daily? (If there isn't a closer training location than Trenton, we will have to do BMQ in the summer.)

Please forgive me if I missed some obvious information online, I have looked around quite a bit and these questions still remain. Like I mentioned earlier, I will be going down to a recruitment centre to ask questions soon. Thanks again!

Edit: The closest recruitment centre to me is Moss Park, if anybody needed an idea of where I live.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 20:46:39 by Tape »

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2012, 20:48:18 »
I will assume you're looking at joining the infantry. If that's wrong, please correct me. I'm a recruiter for a reserve unit (Not in Toronto), so I may have some insight.

1. Reserve units will normally run BMQ locally. I would bet that in January or February a BMQ will probably start part time on weekends running somewhere out of Toronto. There are a ton of reserve units in the city. I wouldn't be surprised if one ran out of Moss Park. This would probably be about two weekends a month for a total of five months or so.

2. If you remain in high school full time you can join the reserves at 16, full stop.

3. There are two courses to get qualified in the infantry. BMQ takes about 20-22 training days, run either full time in a one month stretch (weekends are usually off) or part time as I mentioned above. The Infnatry course is broken into two modules The first mod can be either part time for the same duration, or full time for a month. The second mod is full time for a month. If done full time, the two mods will run back to back. Full time, they are run out of Meaford, Ontario, a particularly deplorable patch of the province near Owen Sound.

For the two of you, I advise you to apply immediately, on hopes that you get a part time BMQ in the winter/spring, then right onto your infantry course full time for two months in Meaford this summer.

Contact a recruiter at a Toronto unit for more solid information. Best of luck.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Tape

• Rate Post
  • Hello
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2012, 20:50:04 »
Just the answer I was looking for, thank you SO much Brihard! We'll be going down to Moss Park this weekend!

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2012, 21:05:42 »
Unless there's a weekend event going on already, the recruiters won't be in on the weekends. 

As the Reserve units recruit specifically for their unit (ie. you ask to join that specific unit rather than the CF in the beginning), you'll have to go to the unit in question on their parade night; Moss Park will have a few units, Fort York Armouries have a few, HMCS YORK has the Naval Reserve, and I think there is a detachment run out of Mississauga, Scarborough and Aurora if memory serves correctly.

All this to say:  Research what type of trade you want, then look into the units that offer them. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 21:09:36 by Dimsum »
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2012, 21:09:04 »
Just the answer I was looking for, thank you SO much Brihard! We'll be going down to Moss Park this weekend!

Best to go in during a week day, talk to whoever's there, and find out what night the Queen's Own Rifles or the 48th Highlanders parade, and visit then. I've worked with guys from both, they're both good units.

Note that they may not have spots. Our budget year froms from 1 Apr - 31 Mar. By this time in the year units often have all the applicants they need. I've already got 8 of my 10 for the year.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Tape

• Rate Post
  • Hello
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2012, 21:09:37 »
Unless there's a weekend event going on already, the recruiters won't be in on the weekends.  If you're looking for Moss Park specifically, look for the training nights for the units there (it's been a while so I can't remember who/when they parade.)

In that case, we'll go down next week. Thank you!

Offline xer0

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2012, 10:39:55 »
I'm sorry could someone clarify something for me? I went about 3 weeks ago to queens own rifles and they told me they were done recruiting for the year.  Was it just a polite way of turning me away or are they really not recruiting for awhile?  I have also contacted another reserve unit and they said they would call me by next april.  I would really also like to be in a reserve unit in the GTA but I am having a difficult time.  I have all my papers filled out, all my transcripts, everything ready to go.

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2012, 10:48:33 »
Note that they may not have spots. Our budget year froms from 1 Apr - 31 Mar. By this time in the year units often have all the applicants they need. I've already got 8 of my 10 for the year.

this quote is from brihard 3 post ago , so it is normal for them to be full.  since the budget year starts on april , they will be more likely to call you up by then !
"Do not pray for an easy life , pray for the strengh to endure a difficult one"   Bruce Lee