Author Topic: French Foreign Legion  (Read 83956 times)

Offline I, Citizen

• Rate Post
Re: re: French Foreign Legion
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2004, 16:00:01 »
Distinguished does not necessarily mean won, however, Camerone was on my mind while I wrote my first post, I was hoping for more recent exploits which there isn't easily accessible literature about.. ie, any involvements after the "Humanitarian Mission in Rwanda"
 in regards to your statement that only "8" survived, well,

"L'assaut final est donne. Bientot il ne reste autour de Maudet que cinq hommes: le caporal Maine, les legionnaires Catteau, Wensel, Constantin, Leonhard. Chacun garde encore une cartouche; ils ont la baïonnette au canon et, refugies dans un coin de la cour, le dos au mur, ils font face; a un signal, ils dechargent leurs fusils a bout portant sur l'ennemi et se pre- cipitent sur lui a la baionnette. Le souslieutenant Maudet et deux legionnaires tombent, frappes a mort. Maine et ses deux camarades vont être massacres quand un officier mexicain se precipite sur eux et les sauve; il leur crie:  «Rendez-vous! » -
 «Nous nous rendrons si vous nous promettez de relever et de soigner nos blesses et si vous nous laissez nos armes ». Leurs baïonnettes restent menaçantes.
 «On ne refuse rien a des hommes comme vous!  » repond l'officier. "
 I do believe that there were only 3 survivors, as the above text illustrates.....

If I had something important to say, rest assured, it would be here.

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: re: French Foreign Legion
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2004, 16:19:25 »
I do believe that there were only 3 survivors, as the above text illustrates.....

You may be right... There are many versions to that story. Here is another one: http://www.herodote.net/histoire04301.htm
While I was on a course with the FFL, some Legionnaires told me 2 men had survived... choose the version you prefer, I think there is a lot of romance around that battle...
In the mean time, I will close down this topic. Use the search engine with your question, then if you still have questions, come back and ask them.
Have fun...
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."
- John G. Diefenbaker. July 1, 1960. From the Canadian Bill of Rights.

Offline legionnaire

• Banned
  • Rate Post
off to france-and from army.ca-good riddance!
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2004, 01:36:30 »
hey,
   after spending 6 years sitting on my *** in the canadian army wasting my time ive decided to go out and join a real fighting unit. im off to try out for the french foreign legion to see what it is like to be in a real army.
   my question is, after 5 years away will i have to redo my basic and QL3 again ? the only reason i would rejoin the CF is because im not going to spend my whole life in the FFL and the army is the one thing im really good at, so might as well come back here and live the easy life and get a big paycheck while im at it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 17:19:04 by Bruce Monkhouse »

Offline canuck101

• Rate Post
Re: off to france
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2004, 02:35:55 »
Watch your wallet and stay alive. They pay you in cash and if you leave it alone it has been know to walk away. Why not try the royal marines if you want to get into hair area's of the world.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2004, 10:19:22 »
Your going to the REAL army? Hell I thought that line was just for people talking about the reserves when in the  reg force. 
If you spent 6 years "sitting on your *** and wasting your time"theres probably a good reason for it.  Maybe your one of the soldiers who gets tasked with being a barracks NCO for 4 years, because your battalion wants you back oh so bad.
There are no wolves on Fenris

NavyGrunt

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2004, 10:23:40 »
See you in 3mos when we make you eat your words. >:D

Offline legionnaire

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2004, 14:13:51 »
   well first off i said a real fighting force, i never said canada isnt a real army. 2nd off there was a reason i spent those 6 years on my ***, i was dumb enough to join a unit where the type of soldier you are depended on how good the stories you tell are. tell you what, you go into work tomorrow and you look around, whatever unit you are in, whether it be 3 PPCLI, 4 ESR, RCDs' or the 432nd worchesire, glockshire, and whiltshire crazy hats, take a look around. look at the people you work with and ask yourself how hard it is for the average joe to get to where you are. its not hard, especially if you are a *****, faggot or ethnic minority who walks in when the CF has one of their quotas to fill.
   ive served with people who had so much potential it pissed me off to no end to see them not getting the challenges they wanted. these same people getting passed over for promotion because they dont lick enough bag. i was one of those guys,  and after enough time i decided to go out and get the challenge i deserved.
   you can knock what im saying all you want, but look around and it will hit you, there are plenty of great soldiers in the CF, some of the best in the world, but there is so many things holding them back from being what they really can be.
  but anyways, i didnt write the post to get into a debate about the canadian army, ive done that enough and ive heard all sides of the story. to the MEN in the canadian army who try to be more than the army will let them i have nothing but respect for you. i know what its like to have to do pt at lunch and after work because you have to run at a slow pace in the morning because of all the fat asses who know that as long as they show up they will move up the ranks.
   so if anyone can answer my question about whether or not i will have to do basic and QL3 again i would appreciate it. thanks, and keep up the good work.
  oh yeah, and no you wont see me in 3 months, sorry but im not going to fail this like you did your mighty mo QL3 course buddy.

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2004, 14:19:23 »
Have fun......they are going to eat you ALIVE

Then you can come back....and do your basic courses all over again, because they will become obsolete   >:D

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

NavyGrunt

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2004, 14:23:01 »
       oh yeah, and no you wont see me in 3 months, sorry but im not going to fail this like you did your mighty mo QL3 course buddy.

Seems to me like you've already failed life. Congrats on choosing the french army. You'll help the long standing tradition of providing material for jokes around the world. Well YOU won't because YOU wont get in.

Offline legionnaire

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2004, 14:28:55 »
well i see you guys are sitting on the internet while you should be at work, or are you all just maggots who pretend to be in the army and come onto a website to talk about how tough you are and how many kills you got on roto 15 in bosnia ?
  so i did say canada isnt a real army, it is true, but there are real soldiers in it.
  and to you mr white, tell you what, you come say this to my face and ill be happy to pluck that feather out of your elephant slipper and make you eat it

Offline Bograt

• Rate Post
  • Dream Big, Work Harder
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2004, 14:30:20 »
     look at the people you work with and ask yourself how hard it is for the average joe to get to where you are. its not hard, especially if you are a *****, faggot or ethnic minority who walks in when the CF has one of their quotas to fill.

Glad to see you leaving.

Before you go, you might want to see a Doctoc and get that chip removed from your shoulder.
Hannah and Robbie's Dad

NavyGrunt

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2004, 14:34:43 »
well i see you guys are sitting on the internet while you should be at work, or are you all just maggots who pretend to be in the army and come onto a website to talk about how tough you are and how many kills you got on roto 15 in bosnia ?
   so i did say canada isnt a real army, it is true, but there are real soldiers in it.
   and to you mr white, tell you what, you come say this to my face and ill be happy to pluck that feather out of your elephant slipper and make you eat it

Internet tough guy alert

And second of all calling yourself a legionaire before even showing up at the castle is nice way to ensure being a failure. A legionaire would have a fit if he heard that. IF you do go that bit of advice will save you a few teeth. It would be a shame to flunk out of the legion and then come back to Canada with a nasty dental infection and not be able to rejoin the fake army for your "fat paycheck"

Offline legionnaire

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2004, 14:37:12 »
you still didnt explaing why you are sitting online when you are supposed to be some bug tough soldier, perhaps you could clear that one up for me.
  and about the name, sorry it was the first thing that came to mind, i guess i could have spent half an hour coming up with something cool like mr mp5 and picking out a photo to show everyone how tough i am, but i just typed the first thing that came to mind

Offline CheersShag

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My mom says I'm cool
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2004, 14:40:01 »
Man, this is going to be fun,
Click -Banned-

Offline TR

• Rate Post
  • Crewman/Recruiter
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2004, 14:41:05 »
you still didnt explaing why you are sitting online when you are supposed to be some bug tough soldier,

Well I hope you don't have much spelling to do tough man.   :salute:

NavyGrunt

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2004, 14:43:12 »
I'm off. If you wanna take a feather from any part of my body take it to private messages.   :-* hugs and kisses Legie

Offline Bograt

• Rate Post
  • Dream Big, Work Harder
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2004, 14:43:46 »
Wonder why he was passed over for promotion? He seems very articulate, apt, capable, shows initiative, etc...

Hannah and Robbie's Dad

Offline TR

• Rate Post
  • Crewman/Recruiter
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2004, 14:45:32 »
Wonder why he was passed over for promotion? He seems very articulate, apt, capable, shows initiative, etc...

LMAO ;D

Offline marshall sl

• Rate Post
  • Retired Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2004, 14:46:14 »
Oh Boy!! They are going to eat you alive!! When I was in Ismailia with UNEF2, we had a battalion of them stay in the transient Quarters. They were being shipped out of Lebanon. Their CO was killed in an ambush on a UN convoy and the rest declared war on both aggressors . The UN had to pull them out.   I met a few of them, very intense men.

Good luck Boy!!!
The land of hills, glens, and heroes; where the ptarmigan thrives and where the red deer finds shelter; as long as mist hangs o'er the mountains and water runs in the glens, may the deeds of its brave be remembered, and health and victory be with the lads of the Cabar Feidh."

Offline CheersShag

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My mom says I'm cool
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2004, 14:48:09 »
Well he won't be able to respond, read or do anything folks, he's out on his *** as far as I'm concerned and can have fun in France. He'll probably be pretty confused at first, seems like the kind of guy who might hit the computer due to an error message popping up, but that's life..perhaps he's the missing link? D'know.

Less then 10 posts and he managed to prove himself a complete tool, so lets all wish him well at the castle.
I thought perhaps a musical sendoff might be appropriate:
REFRAIN
Tiens, voila du boudin, voila du boudin, voila du boudin,
Pour les Alsaciens, les Suisses et les Lorrains,
Pour les Belges, y en a plus, pour les Belges, y en a plus,
Ce sont des tireurs au cul.

I
Au Tonkin, la Legion immortelle
A Tuyen-Quang illustra notre drapeau,
Heros de Camerone et freres modeles
Dormez en paix dans vos tombeaux.

II
Au cours de nos campagnes lointaines,
Affrontant la fievre et le feu,
Oublions avec nos peines,
La mort qui nous oublie si peu,
Nous, la Legion.

Sonnerie A
Nous sommes des degourdis,
Nous sommes des lascars,
Des types pas ordinaires,
Nous avons souvent notre cafard,
Nous sommes des Legionnaires.

Sonnerie B
Nos anciens ont su mourir,
Pour la gloire de la Legion,
Nous saurons bien tous perir,
Suivant la tradition.

Offline DeweyDecimalSystem

• Canda's Least Wanted
  • Rate Post
  • CIC (Air)
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2004, 14:50:34 »
Of course, you know you'll have to learn to speak french ?

NavyGrunt

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2004, 14:52:53 »
I'm sure it will come easy considering his obvious skill with language ::)

Online Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2004, 15:58:25 »
Well, I can see this thread has run its course....
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Military mind

Foreign Legion
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2005, 01:02:21 »
I was wondering if anybody here has been or though about joining the foreign legion?  :threat:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 10:41:53 by George Wallace »

Offline big bad john (John Hill)

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I am a poser
Re: foreign legion
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2005, 01:18:36 »
Which one, French or Spanish?