Author Topic: French Foreign Legion  (Read 81520 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: foreign legion
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2005, 01:38:15 »
Its harder to get into the French Foreign Legion than the CF. I think its strength is around 8000 men. Once you sign the contract you are on the hook for 5 years. You cannot get out of the contract - unless you desert. But if they catch you, then you will have an even harder time. They are a hard lot. Very tough training. Dont plan on much freedom during your first 5 years.

Offline noreaga808

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2005, 01:55:22 »
My co-worker was in the French Foreign Legion, he said they have as much freedom as any other military. He managed to come back to Canada when he was allotted enough time while still serving. From his stories and pictures I get the impression he recieved some good hard training and loved it even though he had some discipline that wouldn't be allowed here in Canada. One thing he also said, most of the legends that are out there about the Legion are myths. It's worth joining if you're up for the challenge and the major lifestyle change, heck he almost sold me on going.

There's alot of info available about the French Foreign Legion on this site, just got to do a search. Plus you can google it and find a bunch of stuff on it also on the net.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 01:58:16 by noreaga808 »
"Victory is Mine!"- Stewie Griffin

Offline noreaga808

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2005, 02:04:42 »
Oh yeah, some NCO's and commissioned officers tend to be harder on Anglo members(English) compared to any other members from different countries for some reason.

Offline Torlyn

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2005, 02:56:53 »
And don't forget to sew the Ninja-Sniper badge on your uniform.  I hear it goes over quite well.   ::)

Anyway, a simple google search (was this too much for ya???) gives you all the info you need at:
http://www.foreignlegionlife.com/

Bonne chance!

T

Offline big bad john (John Hill)

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I am a poser
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2005, 03:14:32 »
And don't forget to sew the Ninja-Sniper badge on your uniform.   I hear it goes over quite well.     ::)

Anyway, a simple google search (was this too much for ya???) gives you all the info you need at:
http://www.foreignlegionlife.com/

Bonne chance!

T

Try this URLt is the French Foreign Legion link from the French Embassy in the US.

http://www.info-france-usa.org/atoz/legion/index.asp

I have worked with a few of them, they are tough.  Take French lessons before you go, they do believe in corporal punishment.

Offline noreaga808

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2005, 03:55:15 »
Yeah, they do have creative ways of helping you learn the language quickly. ;) My buddy from work didn't say what but stressed to me to take some courses before going if I did decide to join. On the note of punishment one of his NCO's knocked him out cold for getting into a fight in town the night before. Plus in his words he was "sent to the hole". I thought he got locked up but it just meant he was stuck with garrison duties for a few days but also missed out on a huge exercise with all the military branches that was put on for some higher up and lost out in parading for Bastille Day. Bastille Day is huge in France, foreigners come from all over for it especially to see the French Foreign Legion on parade. Plus the lovely ladies just love them up, especially over the reg force guys. Must be the mystic of the Legion. If you do join don't screw up before Bastille day, huge party. He did say towards the end of his 5 years service in regards to corporal punishment that overall they did back off a little in it's use throughout the Legion.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 04:30:41 by noreaga808 »

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2005, 05:31:15 »
BTW this was discussed before please do a search.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline JohnnySav

• Rate Post
French Foreign Legion
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2006, 17:59:24 »
Has anyone ever looked into this or given it a go, or even thought about it? :warstory:
Perceive. Believe. Achieve.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
Re: French Foreign Legion
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2006, 18:01:32 »
Searching on "French Foreign Legion" will result in three pages of thread links, some of which may provide you some of the information you're seeking:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search

Offline swollen_collen

• Ring Ting
  • Banned
  • Rate Post
French Foreign Legion Q & A
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2006, 10:14:01 »
Does anyone here have personal experience in the french foreign legion? I am thinking of going to France to join because ill most likley be denied entry into the Canadian forces because of my weapons ban.. any insight??
Choda.

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
Re: French Foreign Legion Q & A
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2006, 10:17:29 »
Unfortunately this is arm.ca, not armee.fr

But the computer is a Magical item

dileas

tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline paracowboy

• I keep sayin' it...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Make The Voices Stop!
Re: French Foreign Legion Q & A
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2006, 10:20:57 »
well, if I were interested in joining a specific unit belonging to the military of a foreign government, I would look for websites devoted to that military, and specifically, that unit.

I wouldn't go to a website devoted to the military of a seperate nation altogether. If I did, though, I would certainly search through any forum on that website for info.

But, I'm crazy like that.
...time to cull the herd.

Offline big bad john (John Hill)

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I am a poser
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2006, 10:55:16 »
Searching on "French Foreign Legion" will result in three pages of thread links, some of which may provide you some of the information you're seeking:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search
Try Mike's suggestion.  It has been discussed here before.  Be warned that they are pretty selective.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2007, 10:49:25 »
Unfortunately this is arm.ca, not armee.fr

But the computer is a Magical item

dileas

tess

Once again the questions are being asked.....Why?........Times have changed, so has the Legion.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2007, 11:56:49 »

Offline Benny

• Rate Post
  • Trooper Sergeant Major 4/19 PWLH
Re: Education Requirements *FFL*
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2007, 21:16:01 »
knowledge of the French language is not necessary because it will be acquired during the contract.

That's a laugh! An old mate of mine joined the legion about 6 years ago (after having some pretty severe things go wrong in his life and getting a bit screwed up). He didn't know french, and what the instructors would do to 'encourage' its use, would be to have the troops singing french songs when moving. They would move from troop to troop and listen to each person singing. Anyone whose french wasn't perfect was punished. Not really how I'd like to learn a language.

Offline wildman0101

• Scoty Brandt
  • Fallen Comrade
  • bold and swift
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2007, 21:36:22 »
curios whats hte maximum age requirement???
just curios as im 54ish
                     best regards,,,
                              scoty b...
anyone laughing ill be the last man standing
or maybe ill just go for a beer and do some wishful thinking
or better yet some serious drinkin..
dems the rules..
                                scoty b
scoty b (aka the brat)
so my sister say's
she would know as she
pointed out ,,,, quote
my lil brother is one bad "mo-fo"
dont f*** with him you'll just get hurt.

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm not just disobedient, I'm careful
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2007, 21:44:45 »
From    http://www.ambafrance-us.org/atoz/legion/enlist.asp

To be between the age of 17 and 40 years old (Parental or legal tutor authorization is required for minors),

"Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence" Cpl Jordan Anderson 1981-2007 RIP

When the going gets tough I take a nap...It's easier that way

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2007, 21:48:55 »
To be between the age of 17 and 40 years old (Parental or legal tutor authorization is required for minors),

Does said "minor" have to be going willingly as long as parental permission is provided?

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm not just disobedient, I'm careful
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2007, 21:53:04 »
I would say probably, but it is the Legion after all one never can tell with them ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 22:00:04 by HitorMiss »
"Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence" Cpl Jordan Anderson 1981-2007 RIP

When the going gets tough I take a nap...It's easier that way

Offline SIG_22_QC

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2007, 12:23:43 »
damn it, why enlisting in a foreign army when your army's own standard exceed by far except maybe for that UNICORP beret(which i dislike) in every aspects(pay, equipment, our playstation uniform, social benefits, our military tradition). Plus if you wanted to enlist just for the french immersion, you can ask for a posting to Valcartier. :blotto:

Offline Chain

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2007, 00:07:09 »
I was in the Canadian Armed Reserve forces for about a year and a half May 2005-Dec 2006. Went thorugh the BMQ,SQ and most of BIQ but had to pull out a few weeks before grad because of a family situation. I was completely bored out of my mind when I was in the reserves(also few others told me its not much different in the Reg's) excpet more indept training and preperation. Physically this was the easiest job I had. I dreamed of Joing the French Foreign Legion. I heard about it when I was 15 years old from my cousin on my fathers side who is a Lieutenant in the Polish 1st Special Commando Regiment. He is a para and trained(Currently is in the South eastern side of Afghanistan but iell return home in about six motnhs its his second tour of duty) with the 2REP of the Legion and told me "Some of the finest if not the finest soldiers I have ever served ,seen, heard about and been with". The rumours alone fascinated me and I read books about it. There were stories that when the US Marines trained with the 3rd Infantry Regiment in French Guyana they could only stay for about 15 day's in the jungle with full kit,canteens,clothing,GPS,5 full mags of ammo while legionnaires carried on another 30 days in which they had no food water shelter(in which they had to catch it themselves) nothing but the clothes and 5 rounds for their FAMAS(This proves their toughness). Another report say that the Jungle course in French Guyana is the most Difficult in the world and that one time 5 marines actually NO BULL started to cry during the jungle course while Legionnaries stood on laughing and taunting them. The rumours and stories of these men made me want to join. I have all the requirements so so Freench speaking tongue,In good physcial shape,knowlege of the Military life and full knowledge of what I'am getting myself into. Some other interesting info I found:

-During basic in the Legion you sleep for about 5 hours a week, the basic lasts for about six months, though you sleep more as time passes in the basic training,

-For breakfast you eat only a small bread and drink a half cup of coffee so not only are you sleepy your starving to death(Book Legion of the Lost).

-Brutality is common in that you get a punched in the chest or have to crawl on gravel until your whole front is covered with blood and deep scar wounds.

-You have a 1 in 10 (Now its 3 in 10) chance of dying during training or comabt.

- On May 12 1978 1978 in Kolwezi,Congo over 2000 Europeans were rescued by the 2REP and lost only 6 Legionnaries and killed some 500 Rebels.

- During the First Gulf War The French Foreign Legion was tasked of protecting NATO and especially American Forces from Iraqi Attack, they were also the first to storm Hueseign Airport and take out key Iraqi ministers.

This is just a sniff of things that happen in the Legion. But after seeing Legionnaires while I was in Paris last summer and hearing the stories about them and that army, this is probably the finest and most tough Army in the world. No other Army or Special Forces can match the Legion except maybe the SAS or SPETZNAZ although I do have my doubts about that.
Anyways Currently I will be going to the University of Alberta, and my major will be Criminology, but the temptation to go over to France and give them my passport is getting stronger and stronger.

To all those leaving and joining the French Foreign Legion good luck and here are some links to go into more indept info about the Legion(Maybe you've seen it before)

Video on The French Foreign Legion
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-6777372516104300363&q=French+Foreign+Legion&total=131&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Video on the Jungle Course in French Guyana part 1
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=6128019645198718700&q=French+Foreign+Legion&total=130&start=20&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=2

Part 2
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=4473457483938531433&q=French+Foreign+Legion&total=130&start=20&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

Old French Foreign Legion Documentary
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=6891712989544727424&q=French+Foreign+Legion&total=131&start=110&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=7

Books:
Legion of The Lost
Making of a Legionnaire
The Naked Soldier(HIGHLY RECOMMEND!)

I'll get more info maybe tommorrow.

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2007, 06:57:06 »
During the First Gulf War The French Foreign Legion was tasked of protecting NATO and especially American Forces from Iraqi Attack, they were also the first to storm Hueseign Airport and take out key Iraqi ministers.

Strange, the Legion took the Al Salman airport. No resistance met by most accounts as well. No ministers either.

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2007, 08:06:54 »
I ate french rations in 1994.

I like them, not only were they neat, but tasty.  My uncle wasn't in the military though, he was a baker.

dileas

tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2007, 08:26:00 »
The rumours alone fascinated me and I read books about it. There were stories that when the US Marines trained with the 3rd Infantry Regiment in French Guyana they could only stay for about 15 day's in the jungle with full kit,canteens,clothing,GPS,5 full mags of ammo while legionnaires carried on another 30 days in which they had no food water shelter(in which they had to catch it themselves) nothing but the clothes and 5 rounds for their FAMAS(This proves their toughness). Another report say that the Jungle course in French Guyana is the most Difficult in the world and that one time 5 marines actually NO BULL started to cry during the jungle course while Legionnaries stood on laughing and taunting them. The rumours and stories of these men made me want to join.

Chain, be careful about the FFL rumours; there are a lot of misconceptions and exagerations about the Legion. They are not some kind of super Soldiers, and they have their problems as an organization.
The account of the jungle trg in Fr Guyana is good; I did the course a few years before they made that video, and at the time we had beat all the records on the obstacle course. The casualty evacuation seen during part 2 of the videos (around 26 min) was one of the hardest parts of the course. The trg is tough, both physically and mentally, but the Legionnaires are not all they are cracked up to be.
Just to clarify: when they go on long-range patrol for 30 days, usually on the Brazilian border, they are resupplied with rations and water by helicopter regularly.
Finally, it is important to know the Legion belongs to the French Army; it is governed by the same rules and regulations, and uses the same kit. The approach to trg is a bit different, but there is a strong "French Army" flavour to it.
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."
- John G. Diefenbaker. July 1, 1960. From the Canadian Bill of Rights.