Author Topic: AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)  (Read 817952 times)

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)
« Reply #2100 on: December 19, 2018, 21:46:40 »
Whatever your thoughts about iAOR and JSS, this shot across the bows by Chantier/Davie is damn funny!

https://www.facebook.com/CoultishManagement/videos/1172581732876205/

Absolutely brilliant.

I hope that Davie's PR Guy/Girl is getting paid what he/she is worth, plus a huge tip.

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2101 on: December 19, 2018, 22:01:08 »
Considering it's been out for over a year and people here with a keen interest in the issue have just come across it, I think the tip shouldn't be overly large...

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2102 on: December 20, 2018, 06:11:42 »
Considering it's been out for over a year and people here with a keen interest in the issue have just come across it, I think the tip shouldn't be overly large...

I had never seen it before.
But the way its presented it was before the government said that they didn't need another iAOR.

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2103 on: December 20, 2018, 09:58:45 »
I had never seen it before.
But the way its presented it was before the government said that they didn't need another iAOR.

Yes it did make the rounds on social media, Davie does have a good PR machine and the amount of promoting they are doing is evidence they are getting desperate especially as the PM has slammed the door on a second AOR.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2104 on: December 20, 2018, 12:23:20 »
Maybe I'd be happier if somebody in Canada could just tell me the price of an apple.....like the rest of the world can.

For government accounting and budgeting purposes, it's far more important to know the entire cost of the 'apple'.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #2105 on: December 20, 2018, 13:23:46 »
I would take that article on the Asterix with a little grain of salt.

The writer says she was built from a tanker, which is not the case as she was converted from a container ship. Also, they call the cyclone a single-engine helicopter. While the Cyclone are single-rotor helicopters (as opposed to twin-rotor like the Chinook), they are definitely twin-engined, not single.

Considering they know what it is and does, that's better than articles about any green vehicle as a "tank" and an Aurora as a "spy plane".   :nod:
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Baz

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2106 on: December 23, 2018, 18:05:01 »
Davie must really be desperate, think the PM will reverse his decision especially with the Admiral Norman trial going on? I wonder did Davie actually purchase the sister ship and counted on the government buying the second hull and now need the order?

I wouldn't read it that way.  The Asterix is being portrayed as a success story, they have the support of the Conservatives and the Province du Quebec, and their competition is not enjoying positive press right now.  Doesn't matter if what is being portrayed is completely correct or not, as a business they should be pushing and hope that something gives.

I would imagine that's what the shareholders want.

However, nothing is *likely* to give in the next year.

However... *if* Asterix continues to be seen as a success, *and* the province continues to back Davie, *and* the Conservatives make inroads in Quebec, *and* there is a change of government... the landscape would then look very different and Davie keeping the story out there would have a better chance of making something give.

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #2107 on: December 23, 2018, 19:47:25 »
Davie is privately-held, no share trading:

...Davie’s parent company [Inocea–“a privately held group of companies headquartered in Europe (Monte-Carlo)”] [ http://www.inocea.com/ ]...
https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2016/03/11/mark-collins-davie-quebec-wants-to-build-icebreaker-for-unload-other-vessels-on-canadian-coast-guard/

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline Baz

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2108 on: December 23, 2018, 20:02:20 »
Davie is privately-held, no share trading:

Mark
Ottawa

See now I feel dumb... I actually thought that might be the case so I typed TSX Davie into google and came up with https://ca.advfn.com/stock-market/TSX/DAV/stock-price.  I saw it was listed as DAV but didn't notice all the info was blank.

If I had of just looked three results lower
Then I would have seen https://www.newswire.ca/fr/news-releases/tsx-delisting-review---davie-yards-inc-dav-539474831.html and found out it was delisted in 2010.

Lack of google-fu on my part.

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #2109 on: December 23, 2018, 20:39:44 »
Baz: certainly not trying to make you feel dumb, good research. I just love the Monte Carlo angle, "the man who broke the bank at" angle (with a "Lawrence of Arabia" twist at the video!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJymx3UjWLo

Mark
Ottawa

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #2110 on: December 23, 2018, 20:55:27 »
Yes it did make the rounds on social media, Davie does have a good PR machine and the amount of promoting they are doing is evidence they are getting desperate especially as the PM has slammed the door on a second AOR.

I wouldn't say it's 'desperation'. It's an election year and they know it. They also know that the issue is unusually prominent given the ongoing Norman case, which of course will come to trial shortly before the polls. This is basically the only time 'normal' Canadians are likely to notice or care about naval replenishment ships. It also puts the option out there as an alluring election plank for the Conservatives, who probably recognize the benefit of a nice cookie for Quebec. Particularly one a veritable stone's throw from Bernier's riding.

I doubt Davie expects the Liberals to buy another iAOR. I think they hope the Conservatives will be in a position to.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #2111 on: December 23, 2018, 21:11:09 »
Just keep in mind Davie is a Very Big Thing in Quebec, federal election next year and all that (Dec. 7 release from Davie itself but...78 seats in House of Commons):

Quebec's National Assembly unanimously adopted a motion in support of the Federal government's reform or 'refresh' of the National Shipbuilding Strategy.

The motion called upon the federal government to endorse the House of Commons and Senate's recommendations to proceed immediately with the construction at Davie Shipbuilding of a second Resolve-Class Naval Support Ship as well as a new fleet of icebreakers for the Canadian Coast Guard...
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/quebecs-national-assembly-unanimously-adopts-a-motion-in-support-of-the-federal-governments-refresh-of-the-national-shipbuilding-strategy-702203571.html

And so far they have sold one supply ship and three CCG icebreakers (all re-builds) in the face of a negative bureaucracy. How wise to bet against some more work, esp. as Irving and Seaspan are oh so slow?

Mark
Ottawa

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2112 on: December 23, 2018, 21:45:01 »
I wouldn't say it's 'desperation'. It's an election year and they know it. They also know that the issue is unusually prominent given the ongoing Norman case, which of course will come to trial shortly before the polls. This is basically the only time 'normal' Canadians are likely to notice or care about naval replenishment ships. It also puts the option out there as an alluring election plank for the Conservatives, who probably recognize the benefit of a nice cookie for Quebec. Particularly one a veritable stone's throw from Bernier's riding.

I doubt Davie expects the Liberals to buy another iAOR. I think they hope the Conservatives will be in a position to.

From what I have been told they may actually own the second ship and did so with the expectation the government was going to build the second. I would expect they probably want to unload that hull. It is entirely possible they proceed to build a second Asterix type ship and offer it to another Navy.

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline kratz

Laughter drives the sun.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2113 on: December 23, 2018, 22:11:08 »
Quote from: Chief Engineer
From what I have been told they may actually own the second ship and did so with the expectation the government was going to build the second. I would expect they probably want to unload that hull. It is entirely possible they proceed to build a second Asterix type ship and offer it to another Navy.

Isn't that the sweet spot with the intent for the national ship building program?
If our ship yards are running 100% and selling to meet international demands, while meeting our needs...
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #2114 on: December 24, 2018, 07:31:40 »
I have very little faith that ISI will ever be able to sell a warship to anyone other than the RCN - they are not competitive in the world market. 
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2115 on: December 24, 2018, 08:10:10 »
Not particularly competitive in the. Canadian market, for that matter...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #2116 on: December 24, 2018, 11:50:30 »
Not particularly competitive in the. Canadian market, for that matter...
I have very little faith that ISI will ever be able to sell a warship to anyone other than the RCN - they are not competitive in the world market.

I didn't think competitiveness was a requirement in Canadian ship building programs. 
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #2117 on: December 24, 2018, 12:14:10 »
By the time the first JSS enters active service, Astreix is going to need a decent refit, when she is through that, we have 1 AOR for each coast for at least 2 years, then the next JSS comes online and will be bouncing from coast to coast as vessels go in and out of refit, unplanned events, etc.

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2118 on: December 24, 2018, 22:21:11 »
By the time the first JSS enters active service, Astreix is going to need a decent refit, when she is through that, we have 1 AOR for each coast for at least 2 years, then the next JSS comes online and will be bouncing from coast to coast as vessels go in and out of refit, unplanned events, etc.

You are assuming we will keep Asterix past the 5 year lease....

كافر

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2119 on: December 25, 2018, 09:18:41 »
You are assuming we will keep Asterix past the 5 year lease....

Because that would make total sense to get rid of an asset prior to the first JSS reaching IOC let alone FOC.

But then again, thats the Canadian way isn't it?

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #2120 on: December 25, 2018, 09:47:14 »
Because that would make total sense to get rid of an asset prior to the first JSS reaching IOC let alone FOC.

If the Libs are in power I cant seem then extending it or out right buying.  They already tried to kill it, and wont admit we need a second one;  this would be the perfect opportunity from their political standpoint. 

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2121 on: December 25, 2018, 09:47:26 »

I know the civilian crew when hired were told to expect at least 7 years work, between now and then who knows. At the end of 7 years the hull will be reaching 20 years of age with very little downtime I expect.

كافر

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #2122 on: December 25, 2018, 09:48:39 »
I know the civilian crew when hired were told to expect at least 7 years work, between now and then who knows. At the end of 7 years the hull will be reaching 20 years of age with very little downtime I expect.

20 years is nothing for a hull in RCN ;)   You know that as well I do Chief! lol

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2123 on: December 25, 2018, 09:54:26 »
20 years is nothing for a hull in RCN ;)   You know that as well I do Chief! lol

Except its not a RCN hull, its a rental and will be used more than our own AOR's when we had them.

كافر

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #2124 on: December 25, 2018, 10:17:54 »
Except its not a RCN hull, its a rental and will be used more than our own AOR's when we had them.

I dunno our PRO Class did lots of sea time.  It was only the last 5-10 years where they became building with a commission and sea pay.  I did 3 years on PRE, lots of sea days there.

Rental or our own 40 is our 20, just ask the IRO and Cadillac's lol