Author Topic: The CFS Alert Merged Thread  (Read 129362 times)

Offline Sundborg

• Rate Post
  • AB
Re: Required kit for CFS Alert
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2005, 12:51:13 »
Bring a good camera!  My father was stationed up there for 4 months a while back and there are a lot of cool sites up there.  There's also a lot of caribou, foxes and other little critters running around.
Don't look back; stay out of the mud.

Offline used-to-be-EGS

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2005, 10:27:02 »
Never been there, but i heard that it's pretty dry there (heating on 24/7). A small humidifier is a must for your room (it's from a medic on base who went there twice)!!!

Hope it helps a bit
They have humidifiers in each room, so don't bother taking one.  As far as a camera goes, it would be a good idea, but there are many things you can't take pictures of.....you'll find out on you in-brief.  As far as wildlife goes, expect foxes and hares, maybe the occasional wolf or even a polar bear, but it's too far north for most creatures, including caribbou.
Chipper is a good job up there, hell, any job is a good job up there.  I can't really think of anything special to take up, if you want something afterwards, have it sent up CMTT.  The extra liver idea was a good one....and get used to drinking out of cans (no beer bottles up there).

Offline BernDawg

• Wood Butcher
  • Rate Post
  • Retired... workin' harder than ever!
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2005, 21:53:15 »
Roger that.  Thanks so far guys!
"We can't all be heroes... because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."  Will Rogers
Someone has to be last.  At least if it's me I know where all the assholes are.

Offline Bert

• Rate Post
  • Military
Re: CFS Alert - Work Up
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2005, 23:48:49 »
I might be going up in a few weeks.  It was explained to me an LTA of 3 weeks separates
two 3 month terms of a 6 month tour.

Offline Spartan

• Prairie Type
  • Rate Post
  • They're watching.
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2005, 13:55:04 »
is Alert open to just reg force / comms or can a reservist (armoured recce) apply for general duty slots?
BMQ MCpl:
"Being in the army is like being a mushroom - kept in the dark, fed crap and keep coming back for more."

Offline TFC Tech

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2005, 21:17:02 »
Anyone know if there is any positions for a traffic tech?

Offline used-to-be-EGS

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2005, 15:21:18 »
I know they have at least one Cpl/MCpl loadie position.  The traffic tech when I was up there requested a 3 month extension (I guess life was good for him up there), and got it. 

:cdn:

Offline HFXCrow

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2005, 20:41:43 »
when I was in Eureka (OP Hurricane 99) we had two traffic techs.
Enjoying the ride and doesn't want to get off

Offline Radop

• VVV
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2005, 11:01:27 »
is Alert open to just reg force / comms or can a reservist (armoured recce) apply for general duty slots?

More and more reserve pers are getting it from all trades.
Radop
VVV
-----------------------
The Cnd soldier loves to *****, it is the leaders responsibility to determine whether that bitching is good natured fun or a serious problem that needs dwelving into.

Offline used-to-be-EGS

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2005, 11:16:36 »
More and more reserve pers are getting it from all trades.
That's because the reg force guys are sick of doing up 5 tours up there, the numbers just aren't there.

:cdn:

Offline BernDawg

• Wood Butcher
  • Rate Post
  • Retired... workin' harder than ever!
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2005, 09:12:40 »
I'm off.  Pray for my mortal soul.
"We can't all be heroes... because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."  Will Rogers
Someone has to be last.  At least if it's me I know where all the assholes are.

Offline GypsyPronto

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2005, 10:30:38 »
Good Luck!

Offline Sundborg

• Rate Post
  • AB
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2005, 11:08:37 »
I'm off.   Pray for my mortal soul.

Have a good time, make sure to go bowling while you are there :)
Don't look back; stay out of the mud.

Offline BYT Driver

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2006, 23:01:22 »
Anyone know if there is any positions for a traffic tech?
Coyote and Roadrunner positions.  Loading and unloading A/C on plane day.  Tfc techs usually come from Trenton though.....

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2006, 23:33:19 »
Alert 98. And our GD people had a blast too (2 Cpls out of 2 RCHA - one's now an ammo tech, and a PPCLI Cpl).

Excellent tour. Roadrunner was a MCpl Tfc Tech. Coyote was a Cpl Tfc Tech....I was the Zippo.

BYT can you confirm that Roadrunner is a MCpl now? They were talking downgrading it to another Cpl posn when I was there.

Here's a pic of the fun you can have in Alert!!!

And here's another (please ignore the...yikes...blue!!)

Customs:

My butt!!

Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline career_radio-checker

• Hello everyone, my name is CRC and I am an army.ca - aholic.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2006, 23:52:48 »
edit: Ok I'm an idiot. Before you spend 30 minutes writing a lengthy post make sure you check the date of the post you are replying to. Lesson learned
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 00:00:21 by career_radio-checker »
How could anyone not fall in love with Canada's baby seals?... They make really good gloves.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2006, 00:06:00 »
edit: Ok I'm an idiot. Before you spend 30 minutes writing a lengthy post make sure you check the date of the post you are replying to. Lesson learned

That's OK.  ;D Here's a pic of one of those Arctic foxs for you.....It did not take my beer....only my sandwhich!!

Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline BYT Driver

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2006, 00:10:12 »
Alert 2003
Roadrunner was MCPL and Coyote was CPL.  As far as I know they haven't downgraded yet.  Last I heard was that all military were out of there and it's going ASD.  Rumour??!!
Nice pics, Canada Day?  Pic 1, I thought it was foolish to go skinny dipping???  
Pulling hose looks good on ya.  
Umm, pic 3, is that a barf bag???  heehee
Thanks for the memories.....

Offline BYT Driver

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2006, 00:12:12 »
That's OK.  ;D Here's a pic of one of those Arctic foxs for you.....It did not take my beer....only my sandwhich!!

Eureka or Alert???
If it's Alert, that little one had lots of pups when I was up there.  She hid them under the old CE building. Had to dodge pups when doing the garbage run. 

aesop081

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2006, 00:15:04 »
Vern......i wonder if that fox of yours is a distant cousin of this little ******* i met on Shemya island

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2006, 00:20:01 »
Eureka or Alert???
If it's Alert, that little one had lots of pups when I was up there.  She hid them under the old CE building. Had to dodge pups when doing the garbage run. 

That's Alert in July. Dumbell Lake...picnicking, sledding the BVs down the hill, and hiking the ice cave. We also attempt to hook up a sail to the chairs to skate across the lake on.... a very interesting day indeed.

The picture down below of me swimming was 01 July...it was a balmy 4 degrees that day so I couldn't resist!! I got to go in by myself because I was the lifeguard on scene for the rest of them who went in on the annual polar bear dip shortly afterwards... I don't have any of those pics here in my apt....there all at the house in Gagetown, same with my Op Hurricane Eureka pics.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline BYT Driver

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2006, 00:22:44 »
Aaah, Canada Day on Dumbell Lake.  Me and a friend went on a hike around the lakes all day.  Got soaked feet but had a great time.  Actually saw a pair of Canada Geese on the lake.
Later, off to snooze now.....

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2006, 00:23:18 »
Vern......i wonder if that fox of yours is a distant cousin of this little ******* i met on Shemya island

Hey it's possible!! Did you see a massive rabbit too? Holy crap...shorrtly after the fox left an absolutely evil arctic hare showed up walking on it's hind legs....I've got a pic of it somewhere....but I'm a heck of alot further away....cause I ran away!! Those were evil!!
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline career_radio-checker

• Hello everyone, my name is CRC and I am an army.ca - aholic.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2006, 01:02:21 »
Ahhhh, a ware-rabbit

Don't be scared Vern, just use a holly-handgrenade to get rid of it.
How could anyone not fall in love with Canada's baby seals?... They make really good gloves.

Offline Husqurl

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2006, 01:23:16 »

How is Alert for the whole 'contact with the outside world' thing (internet, phones, mail et cetera)...?

Just heard of a possible position up there on GD.... looking at how it'd affect school and such, and kinda considering it at this point...
And the moral of the story is, don't stand exactly where the rocket is going to hit.