Author Topic: The Canadian Rangers Merged Thread  (Read 66623 times)

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
Re: What do you really know about the Canadian Rangers?
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2006, 15:28:51 »
Hey fredranger any comments on this story from Armymatters?

Re: Is Iqaluit the best choice for a deep water port???
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 23:06:20 » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: geo on Yesterday at 20:26:26
Iqualuit (aka Frobisher Bay) as a deep water port sounds all nice and pretty but, it's not a port that is accessible 12 months of the year... sounds good during politickin' but nor real practical.
Lived there for a while - sealift only comes in august (aka; can't get a big boat in there before that time of year)

Then again, with Global warming - who says we're going to need an icebreaker?

Agreed with the last point. In 10 or so years, we can send a CPF up there almost year round. One of my profs went up there with the CF on a winter exercise with the Rangers to photograph what the CF did up there. Saw his presentation, and it looked very interesting. Even heard of a anecdotal story of a Ranger encountering a French nuclear sub that surfaced in some pack ice, and the Ranger took out his Lee-Enfield and popped off some shots at the French submarine, until the French realized they were being shot at.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline fredranger

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2006, 16:46:09 »
I truly believe that Canada has to take a stronger, more noticeable, and recognized stance on her sovereignty. If we, as a nation, claim the arctic as ours, by all means, we had better defend that claim. I think a permanent military presence in the north could very well be that answer. The Canadian Rangers are just some of the tools Ottawa has available for such a task. Shooting a sub with a .303 is going to produce very limited results. I believe more is, and will be needed. Is a deep water harbour port the answer? No, but I think it should be a good start to much more. Are armed icebreakers going to be the answer? No, once again, it's a step in the right direction. Planting a flag in an icecube doesn't make it yours, it says you been there. The trick is, preventing somebody else from taking your flag down. So far, the only real threat in the north to foreigners has been polar bears.

Near the North Pole (Apr. 27, 2003) -- During Exercise ICEX 2003, the Seawolf-class attack submarine USS Connecticut (SSN 22) surfaced and broke through the ice. This polar bear, attracted by the hole which can be used to find food, was seen through the sub's periscope and these photos were captured as the image was projected on a flat-panel display. After investigating the Connecticut for approximately 40 minutes, the bear left the area, with no damage to the sub or to the bear. http://www.ecophotoexplorers.com/miscgallery.asp
Canada needs to seriously think about what is going to be the most beneficial, cost effective, and practical means to, either defend her arctic sovereignty claim, or produce a visible and effective deterrent to would be foreign tresspassers, in that area.

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2006, 17:36:36 »
My question though was did this event happen?
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid

Offline fredranger

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2006, 17:48:00 »
Here are a few sources to collaborate the story:
http://www.csp.navy.mil/asl/Icex03.htm
http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/articles/bear_sub1.asp
http://navysite.de/ssn/ssn22.htm
Most of the stories have the same phrase "near the North Pole", which does make one wonder, just how close or how far were they.
http://www.islamonline.net/English/Science/2003/05/article17.shtml This one has the interesting line "Should Polar Bear File Suit Against US?"

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2006, 17:51:59 »
LOL no I mean read my reply#20...did a Canadian Ranger fire on a French submarine.....

Offline fredranger

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2006, 17:56:15 »
You know, I have no idea, but makes you wonder, just what, if anything, they were hoping to accomplish, if this incident really happened.

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2006, 17:57:57 »
I think there would have been documentation and from my searching there has been none

Offline fredranger

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2006, 18:28:53 »
You think something like that would be brought to the publics attention? I could see, if it did happen, it being buried on a rug.

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2006, 18:32:11 »
Why not? Other things more serious has been brought before the public eye.

Offline fredranger

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2006, 18:34:57 »
Good point.

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2006, 18:40:51 »
Besides the French would lodged a complaint with the Canadian Ambassador to France and that would have been all over the news. The peace groups would have decreed the threat of anything nuclear in the Arctic because we know how a .303 would set off the SSNs reactor ::)

Offline fredranger

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2006, 18:46:51 »
I could just hear it now;
*translated from french*
"Up periscope."
"Periscope up."
"What do you see?"
"I see an Eskimo with a bright red sweater and a rifle of some kind."
"What are they doing?"
"He is aiming at us."
THUNK
"He has fired on us! What should we do?"
"Down periscope, dive, dive, dive."
"Say this to no one."

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2006, 18:49:59 »
Added to the above:

"should we not surrender?" ;)

Offline fredranger

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2006, 19:13:42 »
I found this, but for the most part, I am coming up empty on the aforementioned incident.
"It has been common knowledge for more than a decade that nuclear submarines from the United States, Russia, China, France, and Great Britain pass through our territory without necessarily seeking permission from the government of Canada." quoted in part, Paul Martin, December 19, 2005. http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20051216/ELXN_arctic_051219?s_name=&no_ads=

Offline Armymatters

• The Armchair General
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2006, 22:23:55 »
I will try to find out the specifics of that incident from that prof, as he heard it up there, and see when it happened. And yes, the reason why the story is memorable for me is because someone in the class cracked a joke about the French and surrendering, and the entire class broke into laughter. That class (of which I took a year ago) had quite a few CF members in that class; of the 200 students, a good quarter of them were from the CF.

Offline fredranger

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2006, 02:14:41 »
Well, looks like I am going to CFB Esquimalt. Our Patrol Sergeant and one of our Section Leaders will be taking a Leadership Course, while I and two other Rangers get a watered down version of BMQ. I understand our accommodations at the Alberthead barracks have been used by the Cadets. Should prove interesting. Funny thing though, I am being kept out of the loop on just what is going to happen down there. All I know, at some point, our Patrol Sergeant is going to be leading some of us around in the dark, and no white light is allowed. That little bit of information wasn't too easy to come by. Not much to build many expectations on, that's for sure. I am sure of at least one thing, should prove "educational". I am not leaving until this Saturday, so I guess packing and blogging will be my time killers till then.

Offline FoverF

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2006, 03:05:28 »
When I was a little un, most of my Cubs and Boy Scout leaders (and neighbors, hockey coaches, guys you can borrow a boat from) were Rangers.
And when the 'official' boy scout organization packed it in, we just hung out with local Rangers, and all 4 or 5 of us got to go do 'Ranger stuff'. It was pretty sweet.
So some of us have a pretty good idea of what the Rangers do.
And really, Rangers are not all native guys with red hoodies on skidoos/trikes/quads with old-school guns.  There is actually a pretty high percentage of white guys in red hoodies on skidoos/quads, toting around Lee Enfields (still my favorite gun).

Excellent organization, and I definitely plan on joining when I retire and return to my bushy roots.
Plan B is just to keep on givin' er

Offline fredranger

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2006, 11:36:51 »
If asked, I am sure I just might be able to dig up a list of some of the Ranger patrols located within 4CRPG, if some of you want to check it out for yourselves. Bare in mind, my list will be somewhat incomplete, and the locations of some of these patrols might just been more than a little inconvenient, but I am not working from PROTECTED information either. Using our patrol as an example, I would expect most patrols would welcome visitors, just to experience things first hand. The first time I was brought out to the range, the (then) Patrol Sergeant was friendly enough, asking me if I was interested in joining. Sadly, I was about to move to Edmonton, and had to decline his offer, but I reassured him, if and when I came back this way on a more permanent basis, I would. 3 years later, I did. My attendance of late hasn't been too good, personal problems and family issues, but I am hoping to turn that around. And, I will.

Offline fredranger

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2006, 16:29:56 »
Well, I will be leaving for CFB Esquimalt tomorrow, and I won't be back untill February 12th. When I get back, I might be able to share news/rumours of any changes I hear that might be going on, and share a few highlights of what ever they are going to put me through. Untill then, I hope this thread added to by other members of this forum, and by some of the Rangers, whom I thinking are lurking around. For some more information, I have been working on the Wikipedia entry for the Canadian Rangers as well, if interested, check it out here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_rangers. Until then, "Vigilans".

Offline pwlacken

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2006, 22:01:06 »
Just came across this forum today, and I'm glad to see all of this interest in the Rangers. I'm currently writing a history of the force since 1947 (which I have been working on for several years), and another on their predecessors (the Pacific Coast Militia Rangers).  I have an article (rather academic) coming out on 1 CRPG in the next issue of Canadian Military Journal, which assesses them as a "postmodern militia" - I'm anxious to get some feedback when it comes out.  I have a couple more book chapters that are also coming out on the Rangers, about which I will keep readers posted. 
I agree that there are many distortions about the Rangers floating around, and that the non-Aboriginal Rangers who constitute nearly 40% of the total force strength are the real "hidden story" -- my own writing to date perpetuates the obsession with Inuit and First Nation membership in the force.  I am actually heading off to Labrador tomorrow a.m. for a two week trek with 5 CRPG Rangers from Goose Bay to Nain to Saglek Bay -- I'll provide an update upon my return.
I would be very interested in hearing more stories from Rangers and soldiers who have exercised with the Rangers in the north and/or on the coasts.  Please visit my website (www.lackenbauer.ca) to learn more about my research and to share stories directly.  And sorry for the rambling post - I need to get packed for the trip.

Offline ben,newfie

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2006, 12:44:26 »
Canadian Rangers, great bunch of people.I am part of the rangers here in marystown nfld been involved for the past 12 years, also served with the secound PPCLI in winnipeg in the 70`s, we do a lot of field excerizes, rifle training, pretty much a little of what the regular force does. We are supplied with what the regular force does not want or is out of date or worn out, this is a great fellowship orgination for guys that are pass the age of joining the regular force.

Offline fredranger

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2007, 20:29:58 »
Well, after almost a year of little input, I see this topic took off like wildfire. Too bad. I have read a lot of the content of these forums, and know there are other rangers that have thrown in their two cents here and there, but not in relation to this. I have failed to add to this topic because, well, dealing with personal matters. Perhaps the Canadian Rangers are best to be remembered in the company of the Pinetree Line, or the Cold War?

Offline Breacher41

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2007, 21:14:33 »
I dont know much about the Rangers. I would like to know more about them, as I was approached once asking about the Rangers program. I was ashamed to say that I neither knew much about them, nor did I know much about the Bold Eagle program. I must say though I have the utmost respect for those who patrol our Nothern borders.
هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

Offline fredranger

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2007, 11:24:42 »
Well short of going over everything from before, most of the information is on first page, with a copy and paste history, and a few links to sites with additional/extra info. People become Rangers for various reasons, aged out cadets, aged out service members, honourable dischargees, etc. In my area, people who join the Rangers want to be a part of the forces in some capacity, but are limited in there involvement (most have time consuming jobs, or traveling to a base for reserve training would be too cost prohibitive). As it goes for interaction with other CF units, I know of some Rangers on the British Columbia coast have spent some time on HMCS Vancouver, I went to Kamloops for Cougar Salvo '05, while others went to CFB Wainwright for Phoenix Ram '05. North of 60, I understand there is even more interaction. Where there are patrols, Rangers are resonsible for compiling and maintaining an updated local area assessment report, should CF units have come into the area to perform emergency services, etc. Depending where in Canada a certain Ranger Patrol Group is, will dictate what there current taskings are. North of 60, it is still mainly SOV PATS. South of 60, aleast for the area of influence which I am in, between MARPAC HQ and LFWA HQ, Rangers are currently tasked with search and rescue assistance. But, word is coming down that our direction might be changing.

Offline Bill Smy

• Rate Post
  • Recruit
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2007, 11:56:26 »
Back in the 80s there was a story going around NDHQ that a Cdn Ranger had fired at a submarine in Hudson Bay. He reported the incident to the local RCMP who then passed an incident report to Yellowknife.

When asked by the Mountie how he knew it was a sub, and not a whale, the Ranger stated, "When you shoot a whale, it goes 'Thump, Thump', when you shoot a submarine, it goes 'Ping, Ping'".
"I have ate of the King's salt and therefore I conceive it to be my duty to serve with unhesitating zeal and cheerfulness when and where my King or his government may think proper to employ me."