Author Topic: DND DM Comings & Goings (merged)  (Read 32203 times)

Offline Casing

• Rate Post
  • Gimme Farnham every day
DND DM Comings & Goings (merged)
« on: August 10, 2004, 17:03:25 »
Prime Minister Paul Martin today announced the appointment of Ward P.D. Elcock as Deputy Minister of National Defence.

Does it matter who fills this position?   Does the Deputy Minister actually do anything?   This is a legit question, I am not trying to be sarcastic.

http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news.asp?id=244

Edit: This probably could have gone in News instead, I guess.

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
Re: Deputy Minister of National Defence
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 17:45:11 »
Actually yes he does. The Deputy minister is actually the CDS's boss.
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline Freight

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 18:14:48 »
The DM runs the department.  If the Minister changes, typically the DM stays, sometime through a change of party.  So yes it does matter, this person will have a lot of say in what happens with the CF over the next several years.  I think that because he comes from CSIS, we should see a clearer focus for the CF.  I hope anyway.
Greg
Life is not a dress rehearsal. Decide, then do.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 20:00:17 »
>The Deputy minister is actually the CDS's boss.

Not quite.  Peers.

http://www.vcds.forces.gc.ca/dgsp/00native/tools/NDHQ_Org_Chart_e.doc
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline Ex-fusilier

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 23:50:45 »
The role of the DM is essentially that he/she is chief of staff of the civilian workforce of DND and is the senior civilian advisor to the MND.  The CDS does not answer to the DM, but more to the MND.  All regulations and orders pertaining to the CF are issued by the CDS or by the MND through the CDS.

Offline Casing

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 02:57:05 »
Thanks for the replies!

So, since it is agreed that the DM makes a difference, what are the opinions on Elcock as the new DM?

Offline Sundborg

• Rate Post
  • AB
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 11:48:25 »
He's still a liberal - I think that says most of it there.  The Liberals have already done enough damage to the CF; but, I can't just base my opinion on the history of the party, but that usually is how it is.  We'll have to wait and find out.
Don't look back; stay out of the mud.

Offline Casing

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 12:34:32 »
Requesting input from Infanteer.  Always has good insight on this sort of thing....  And anyone else of course.

Offline clasper

• Rate Post
  • former int weenie
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 12:39:00 »
Several opinions have been voiced already...

http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,18069.0.html
E Tenebris Lux

Offline Casing

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 12:41:00 »
Ahh, thank you!   Must have missed that thread somehow.  I think I thought that thread had to do with the new director for the CIA so I just skipped it.  My bad.

Could a moderator close this thread, please?   Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 12:44:58 by Casing »

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
DND Gets New DM, Current DM Moves to PCO
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 09:07:57 »
Mod Squad:  Torn between this and Cdn Politics - happy with your call....

PRIME MINISTER ANNOUNCES CHANGES IN THE SENIOR RANKS OF THE PUBLIC SERVICE
Prime Minister's Office, 18 September 2007
Statement link

Prime Minister Stephen Harper today announced the following changes in the senior ranks of the Public Service. These appointments are effective October 1, 2007:

Ward Elcock, currently Deputy Minister of National Defence, becomes Senior Advisor to the Privy Council Office, pending his next assignment.

Robert Fonberg, currently Senior Associate Secretary of the Treasury Board, becomes Deputy Minister of National Defence.

(....)

ROBERT FONBERG

Date of Birth:
January 1955

Education:
Master of Arts, Economics, Queen's University
Bachelor of Arts (Honours), Economics, University of Toronto

Professional Experience

Since May 2006
Senior Associate Secretary of the Treasury Board
2004 - 2006
Deputy Minister for International Trade and Associate Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs
2002 - 2004
Deputy Secretary to the Cabinet (Operations), Privy Council Office
2000 - 2002
Deputy Secretary to the Cabinet (Plans and Consultations), Privy Council Office
1998 - 2000
Assistant Secretary to the Cabinet, Liaison Secretariat for Macroeconomic Policy, Privy Council Office
1997 - 1998
Senior Vice-President, Corporate Planning and Technology, Business Development Bank of Canada
1995 - 1997
Principal, Public Sector/Strategy Practice, Ernst & Young Management Consultants
1993 - 1995
Director, Policy Division, Economic Development Policy Branch, Finance Canada
1991 - 1993
Director, Canadian Unity Coordinating Secretariat, Deputy Minister's Office, Finance Canada

And the last time this sort of thing was discussed here (last post - 02 Jul 07)
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,40460.0/all.html
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: DND Gets New DM, Current DM Moves to PCO
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 09:25:24 »
It may be that:

1. Clerk of the Privy Council Kevin Lynch/Prime Minister Harper (they are, generally one in the same when these sorts of decisions are taken, I think) are worried about the management of DND, perhaps including some of the recent controversy about the stresses of operations in Afghanistan derailing Gen. Hillier's much ballyhood transformation project.

2. Elcock is wanted elsewhere for his expertize in the intelligence business.

3. Elcock is tired and needs a change. DND is a very big, very 'rich' and very complex department - more of challenge than any other line department, maybe more of a challenge than any other two line departments, combined. Working with O'Connor must have been a strain; shifting to MacKay may have been too much for Elcock.

4. The civilian side of DND may be restless. Rumour had it (a month or so ago) that many senior civil servants chaffed at the "undue emphasis" accorded to military operational requirements at the expense of established, bureaucratic procedures - especially in contracting and financial management. Elcock may not have succeeded in damping the flames of discontent.

It's probably something else entirely. Maybe Elcock's slovenly dress and deportment finally upset the ultra-fastidious Harper/Lynch team.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 10:02:06 »
I note Mr. Fornber's stops in pretty major places (Finance, Treasury Board, Foreign Affairs, Ops & Plans in PCO) -- all the biggies now that he's in DND.

Any sense of being groomed for bigger and better things, or luck of the political draw in postings?

- edit to fix punctuation -
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 14:15:30 by milnewstbay »

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 12:07:11 »
I don't think there is ever any luck of the draw when DM assignments are concerned.

He does, indeed have an excellent CV.

DND needs a lot more money; more (by 50%) than is currently projected. Fonberg looks like the sort of fellow who might be able to make the case (to Lynch and Rob Wright at Finance) that DND is able to plan and manage well enough to be able to use more money effectively.

My personal sense remains that DND is mistrusted in the political centre in Ottawa because, ever since (highly umpopular but very respected) Bob Fowler left, planning and management, of the whole Department (including the CF), has been something less than excellent - probably less than adequate.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline retiredgrunt45

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 13:17:01 »
The civilian side of DND may be restless. Rumour had it (a month or so ago) that many senior civil servants chaffed at the "undue emphasis" accorded to military operational requirements at the expense of established, bureaucratic procedures - especially in contracting and financial management. Elcock may not have succeeded in damping the flames of discontent.

This hit a nerve :rage: If senior CV feel so upset about the new procurement process, they have only themselves to blame for the less than adequate process that was in place before Harper sped things up. I think they should go back to pushing pencils and shut the F***hell up, or better yet don a uniform and go help our lads in Afghanistan, maybe then we'll see how fast they get new equipment in place, when it's their a**** on the line. Bureaucrats, waste of oxygen.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 13:19:35 by retiredgrunt45 »
The first goal of any political party is to stay in power by whatever means possible. Their second goal is to fool us into believing that we should keep them in power.

A politician is like a used car saleman, he'll promise you a "peach" and then turn around and sell you a "lemon"

"Politicians are like diapers, they have to be changed often because their usually full of crap.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 18:06:47 »
I'd look to a collection of indicators:

(1) A new MND.

(2) No destination specified for Mr Elcock.

(3) Ongoing head butting between PCO and DND that has been documented in a number of places (were I keen, I'd find the Army.ca thread).

Looks to me like the Clerk rid himself of that meddlesome priest, and installed one of his own disciples instead.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 18:34:49 »
That may be, Dataperson, but Mister Elcock had the intelligence and security desk in the PCO and then ran CSIS. I wonder if there is more to this.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 07:17:02 »
A bit more, shared with the usual disclaimer - highlights mine....

Demoted deputy tapped to head National Defence
Kathryn May, Ottawa Citizen, 20 Sept 07
Article link

A senior bureaucrat earlier sidelined by the Harper government has been appointed to become the civilian head of National Defence, the department many say has become too powerful under charismatic Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Rick Hillier.

The appointment of Robert Fonberg as the deputy minister of National Defence was part of Prime Minister Stephen Harper's latest shakeup of the top ranks of the public service. Mr. Fonberg replaces Ward Elcock, a longtime deputy minister and former head of CSIS, who becomes a special adviser to the Privy Council Office while awaiting another posting.

Some speculate Mr. Elcock would be an ideal candidate for the foreign intelligence agency the Conservatives promised in the 2006 election.

Mr. Fonberg's appointment stunned many senior officials who say his "in-your-face" management style will shake up National Defence, which many argue is largely being directed by Gen. Hillier, whose charisma and highly effective marketing campaign of the military is reshaping the Canadian forces and the mission in Afghanistan.

Mr. Fonberg, the former deputy minister at International Trade, was essentially demoted and sidelined to Treasury Board as a senior associate secretary in April 2006 after the Conservatives undid the painful and botched separation of of the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade.

Observers say his appointment is a "highly risky gamble" for the government and Mr. Fonberg personally. It is very unusual for a senior bureaucrat in the penalty box to be promoted to the top job in the government's most important portfolios without specific marching orders.

Some say he's being put in the job to "toe-the-line," and that the Afghan mission, like all other government priorities, will be managed by the Prime Minister's Office and officials at the Privy Council Office. But the more pervasive view is that Mr. Fonberg is being sent to rein in the power of the military and the popular Gen. Hillier.

One senior official said the Conservatives want a counterweight to Gen. Hillier to at least tone down the media coverage of the Afghanistan mission so it doesn't overshadow all other issues during the pre-election period.

Alan Williams, a former assistant deputy minister of procurement at Defence, said the department has historically run into problems when the power balance between the civilian and military sides of the department gets out of whack.

"There seems to be just one voice coming out of the military right now," he said. "It's critical for running that military and civilian balance that each understand their areas and accountabilities and each ensure they are being adhered to."

The deputy minister of defence is supposed to oversee the budget and policy, procurement and the management of the non-uniformed public servants working in the department. The chief of defence staff is in charge of the military and its operations and is supposed to execute the government's defence policy.

( .... )

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Scoobs

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 15:56:40 »
This is not good news for the military.  The new DM is known to be a "cutter" and I sense the Conservatives distancing themselves from the CF for political gains.  All politicians are the same.  They never support us and stand their ground for morals, ethics, and for what they believe in.  Is power all that it is about?  I feel let down.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 15:59:49 by Scoobs »
Variety is the spice of life...

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 18:03:56 »
...  The new DM is known to be a "cutter" ...

Good.

There is still fat in NDHQ and throughout DND, including in the CF. Even though I've been retired for years and years I feel 100% certain that I can say that without fear of (informed) contradiction. The waste and institutional ineptitude should be cut before it tarnishes the whole oragnization.

DND needs firm policy direction and resources to implement it. Both depend upon Harper and Lynch believing that DND can do the policy and spend the money well. A firm hand at the management tiller will help.
----------

Offline Flip

• Grateful civilian
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2007, 12:53:52 »
Good.

There is still fat in NDHQ and throughout DND, including in the CF. Even though I've been retired for years and years I feel 100% certain that I can say that without fear of (informed) contradiction. The waste and institutional ineptitude should be cut before it tarnishes the whole oragnization.

DND needs firm policy direction and resources to implement it. Both depend upon Harper and Lynch believing that DND can do the policy and spend the money well. A firm hand at the management tiller will help.

I don't think anyone can argue with that Edward.

+1
The liberal democracy has only one flaw.....There will be liberals.

No user serviceable parts inside.
Warranty void if cover is removed.

Offline Scoobs

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2007, 14:00:24 »
I agree that there is fat to be cut, but what I meant for "cutting" was that there may be a chance that certain items already purchased or planned to be purchased, will not be bought.  Examples are the C-17's, Chinooks, the rest of the order of Leo II's.  I guess we'll just have to see if we have a fall election and what will come out of that for the CF.  Just thought I'd say, there are tonnes of rumours flying around right know.
Variety is the spice of life...

Offline Flip

• Grateful civilian
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 14:08:01 »
Scoobs,

I think Edward is referring to the bureaucracy at DND.
DNDs civilian employees for the most part.

DND cannot be just another civil service department...

The liberal democracy has only one flaw.....There will be liberals.

No user serviceable parts inside.
Warranty void if cover is removed.

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2007, 14:58:10 »
Scoobs,

Purchases that expensive are authorized by Cabinet. There have been no indications that the political leadership is thinking of cancelling them, nor would any DM be so reckless as to defy the central authority by attempting to derail an authorized project. If, on the other hand, the economy was to tank and the government was to put in place a massive austerity program, a DM might mothball or delay the implementation of a program. Most of us have seen that sort of thing happen.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2007, 16:32:00 »
I agree that there is fat to be cut, but what I meant for "cutting" was that there may be a chance that certain items already purchased or planned to be purchased, will not be bought.  Examples are the C-17's, Chinooks, the rest of the order of Leo II's.  I guess we'll just have to see if we have a fall election and what will come out of that for the CF.  Just thought I'd say, there are tonnes of rumours flying around right know.

IF there is a Liberal minority government with Dion as leader which needs NDP/BQ support to govern then I'm sure you're right. Several big ticket items will be cut/cancelled.

I doubt, really doubt, that Harper/Lynch put a squinty eyed economist there to serve BQ/Liberal/NDP interests. My guess remains that Lynch has convinced Harper that DND is, chronically, poorly managed and that it needs shaking up - in part to restore the proper civil-military balance in which the DM is the minister's alter ego and the CDS is responsible for the effective administration and discipline of the CF and for planning and overseeing the military aspects of operations.
----------

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2007, 06:12:14 »
That may be, Dataperson, but Mister Elcock had the intelligence and security desk in the PCO and then ran CSIS. I wonder if there is more to this.

Good eye - as of 11 Oct 07, "Ward P.D. Elcock, Senior Advisor to the Privy Council Office, has been named Coordinator for the 2010 Olympics and G8 Security."

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2007, 08:05:58 »
Suffice it to say that the new position was identified (and perhaps created) after Mr Elcock was replaced.

It was a putsch, not an orderly relief in place.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Deputy Minister Robert Fonberg
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2009, 08:54:02 »
This, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail is gossip (and, in fairness, the author admits that) but it is gossip that has a bit of factual information about DND’s Deputy Minister so it may be of interest:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/meet-ottawas-new-power-couple/article1238490/
Meet Ottawa's new power couple

Robert Fonberg and Yaprak Baltacioglu have a lot of clout, but prefer to shun the spotlight

Jane Taber

Ottawa — From Saturday's Globe and Mail Last updated on Saturday, Aug. 01, 2009 04:19AM EDT

A friend calls them “Bernie and Sylvia Ostry for the iPod generation.” And in some ways Robert Fonberg and Yaprak Baltacioglu are a lot like the famed economist and her cultural bureaucrat husband, who reigned as Ottawa's power couple for years.

They are smart and glamorous and certainly have the clout. Between them, they run two of Ottawa's most important files for the Harper government.

He is the deputy minister of National Defence, overseeing a war and a multibillion-dollar budget. Last month, she took over as deputy minister of Transport, in charge of the critical task of getting out the door billions of dollars in infrastructure stimulus spending.

But where the Ostrys were high-fliers known for entertaining politicians of all stripes and inviting the bureaucratic elite into their home to debate the burning issues of the day, few Canadians know who Mr. Fonberg and Ms. Baltacioglu are. And the two policy wonks who fell in love over social development and macroeconomic issues appear to prefer it that way.

They shun the spotlight, embracing the traditional role of the bureaucrat who remains in the shadows. It's a fitting place to be in Stephen Harper's Ottawa, known for its secrecy and lack of flash.

They refused to be interviewed for this article and asked their friends not to speak. Those who did asked to remain anonymous.

So how did Mr. Fonberg and Ms. Baltacioglu break into the elite echelons of the federal bureaucracy?

The two met in 2002 at the Langevin Building, a staid old stone block across from Parliament Hill that houses the Prime Minister's Office and the bureaucrats in the Privy Council Office.

Both were working in senior positions in PCO – he was the deputy secretary to cabinet, operations; she was assistant secretary to cabinet for social development policy.

At the time, there was corridor chatter about the two, hardly unexpected in the small community that is Parliament Hill.

Both had been married. She has a son; he has a daughter and a son. He is Jewish; she is Muslim. Both are charming and really smart.

They bought a home in a posh Ottawa suburb and got a cat. And last June, in keeping with their public service personas of discretion and invisibility, they were quietly married. It was a very private, family-only affair.

Mr. Fonberg, 54, is a third-generation Ottawan. With an undergraduate degree from the University of Toronto and a master's degree in economics from Queen's University, he has worked both in the private and public sector.

He's addicted to his BlackBerry and to golf. He has been known to have a little putting green in his office and, in the middle of meetings, will hit a few balls to help focus his mind on the problem at hand.

Ms. Baltacioglu, 49, is Turkish. She came to Canada with her first husband when she was 21. She had a law degree from Istanbul University. Not able to use that degree in Canada, she went to Carleton University and earned a master's degree in the School of Public Administration.

Although a cosmopolitan person who knew nothing about farming issues, Ms. Baltacioglu ended up at the Department of Agriculture. There, she worked as chief of staff to former deputy minister Ray Protti, who spotted her talent and told his senior colleagues to watch her because she was going places.

That was in 1994.

“It was virtually immediately obvious to me that this was a person of extraordinary talent,” recalls Mr. Protti.

“She has tremendous amount of common sense, judgment, a very effective communicator and tremendous interpersonal skills.”

Since then, she has been transferred in and out of the department, always returning in a more senior role. Before her appointment to Transport, Ms. Baltacioglu was deputy minister of agriculture – the first female deputy minister in that department.

“She is able to see three steps ahead,” says one of her friends.

In her spare time, she cooks, whipping up huge gourmet meals. She is also learning to golf.

Being noticed and becoming successful in the public service is a combination of experience, smarts, luck and timing in being given a meaty file, and remaining non-partisan. Mr. Fonberg and Ms. Baltacioglu have managed to do all of these – under Liberal and Conservative governments.

But while Ms. Baltacioglu has steadily risen through the ranks, Mr. Fonberg has had his setbacks, the largest of which was his very public demotion from deputy minister of International Trade to senior associate secretary of the Treasury Board.

Tenacious and demanding, he was promoted to deputy minister in 2004 with instructions to make International Trade a stand-alone department from Foreign Affairs.

According to a former colleague, he didn't succeed – and also managed to alienate many in government with his efforts during the two years he was there.

As well, the colleague says, Mr. Fonberg had a falling-out with Kevin Lynch when the two were both deputy ministers. Mr. Lynch, who declined to comment, was appointed clerk of the Privy Council by Stephen Harper when he became Prime Minister.

Mr. Lynch was not about to give Mr. Fonberg a big job in his first shuffle, says the colleague.

And so he was banished to Treasury Board.

But the colleague says that, to his credit, Mr. Fonberg put down his head and worked, delivering on the Harper government's showpiece accountability legislation.

Mr. Lynch had kept an open mind and rewarded Mr. Fonberg for his work: In October, 2007, Mr. Fonberg was back as a deputy minister – this time in the tricky and demanding Defence portfolio.

“Rob redeemed himself under Kevin,” says the colleague. “After brooding and holding his tail between his legs, he then got up and started to do a job and he redeemed himself.”

Jane Taber is a senior political writer in the Globe's Ottawa bureau.

I know that many people think that the CDS runs the CF; some, less that brilliant, CDSs actually thought that, too. The CDS “administers” the CDS – DND, which includes the CF, is “run” by the DM. It’s important to know about him or her.

----------

Online Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
Re: Deputy Minister Robert Fonberg
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2009, 10:29:34 »
Both Mr. Fonberg, and the Associate DM, William Pentney, are very savvy individuals.  Running a Department is not easy, particularly Defence, which every other Department seems to always have its sights on for making the case for transfers, reductions to DND, increased to them, etc...  I believe that Mr. Fonberg has done a pretty solid job in his post.

Two more cents,
G2G

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2009, 11:33:43 »
Both Mr. Fonberg, and the Associate DM, William Pentney, are very savvy individuals.  Running a Department is not easy, particularly Defence, which every other Department seems to always have its sights on for making the case for transfers, reductions to DND, increased to them, etc...  I believe that Mr. Fonberg has done a pretty solid job in his post.

Two more cents,
G2G

Ditto.

I saw a few DMs "up close" - one or two were probably excellent, a few were OK to good and one or two were probably weak.  More to the point, I think I can correlate "results" - things that happened to DND and the CF - to DMs' tenures. On that basis Mr. Fonberg has done/is doing an excellent job.
----------

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2009, 11:59:15 »
Mr Fonberg has a thankless job.  However, he is perhaps more interested in minutia than is healthy for his position, and is truly a bureaucrat, in both the positive and negative senses of the word.  The military expression of "sense of urgency" is one that today seems to be lacking; the old saw that a poor decision that is timely is better than a perfect decision too late comes to mind...

Online Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2009, 16:11:26 »
dapaterson, that may be for some things, and may be a left-over from his TB days.  I understand that some things that were quite critical go his undivided attention and no minutiae-hunting at all.  As Mr. Campbell say, it can be an absolutely thankless job.  There is no doubt that the Department overall, not just the CF, has done fairly well compared to its sister Departments in the GoC; I am certain that doesn't happen by accident.

Regards
G2G

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2009, 08:53:29 »
Rather than start a new thread ...

This is a small bit, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from the inside pages of today’s Ottawa Citizen, but the subject of the story might have a major impact on Canada’s defence policy:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Harper+names+finance+deputy/1887018/story.html
Harper names new finance deputy

Mark Iype, Canwest News Service
August 13, 2009

Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Wednesday appointed Michael Horgan the new deputy minister of finance, instantly making him a major player in Canada's economic recovery.

Horgan, Canada's representative at the International Monetary Fund and a former deputy minister of the environment, will take over the position on Sept. 8.

The post has been vacant since July 8, when Rob Wright retired after 35 years in the public service.

Deputy ministers are the top un-elected officials in the federal government's hierarchy and answer directly to the ministers in charge of each department.

Horgan will be in charge of nearly 800 employees, and will be responsible for a very challenging portfolio.

"I think the country's finances are in the worst position in some time," said Don Drummond, chief economist with the Toronto Dominion Bank.

"But I think Michael (Horgan) is a fantastic choice for the position."

Drummond spent 23 years with the Finance Department, and has known Horgan since the mid-1980s.

He said he was not surprised Horgan was hired in the midst of the tough economic climate.

According to the Finance Department's numbers for April and May -- the first two months of the 2009-10 fiscal year -- there is a budgetary deficit of $7.5 billion compared to last year's $900-million deficit in the same time period.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

His biography (taken from a 2008 conference programme) is:

Michael Horgan
Deputy Minister, Environment Canada

Michael Horgan is Canada's Deputy Minister of the Envionment. He previously served as deputy minister of Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, G-7 deputy for Canada and senior associate deputy minister of finance.

His experience also includes roles as executive vice-president and associate deputy minister of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA), which later named him president. From 1992 to 1996, Horgan was assistant secretary to the Cabinet (Priorities and Planning), Privy Council Office; he was later appointed deputy secretary to the Cabinet (Intergovernmental Policy and Communications), Privy Council Office.

He began his career in public service as an energy economist for the Department of Finance in 1978. Since that time, he has served in a number of government positions.

Horgan studied economics and political science at Concordia University in Montreal; he completed graduate degrees in economics at both Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, and Princeton University.

Along with the Clerk of the Privy Council, Mr. Horgan is, arguably, a member of a tiny group of really “powerful” officials – elected or otherwise – in Ottawa. His views on spending priorities, reinforced by experience in planning and priorities in the PCO, will have a real, measurable, direct impact on the size of the defence budget and, albeit to a lesser degree, on how it is spent.

And again, see also:P here.

----------

Online Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
ShuffleWatch, Deputy Minister
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2010, 08:04:09 »

PRIME MINISTER ANNOUNCES CHANGES IN THE SENIOR RANKS OF THE PUBLIC SERVICE

Matthew King, currently Associate Deputy Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, becomes Associate Deputy Minister of National Defence, effective October 12.   

Complete article at LINK

Offline ARMY_101

• Banned
  • Rate Post
DND gets new Deputy Minister
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2013, 19:28:30 »
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/04/22/powerful-bureaucrat-leaves-job-in-massive-defence-department-shakeup/

Longtime deputy defence minister leaves job in massive department shakeup

OTTAWA — The senior levels of National Defence were the focus of a massive upheaval Monday as the Conservative government announced longtime deputy minister Robert Fonberg was leaving the job.

One of the most powerful and controversial bureaucrats in Ottawa, Fonberg has quietly — and not so quietly — influenced everything from the war in Afghanistan to the military’s multi-billion-dollar procurement system. He was appointed in 2007.

Regarded as extremely arrogant by some, tough by others, Fonberg famously butted heads with opposition MPs last year after Auditor General Michael Ferguson blasted National Defence’s handling of the $45 billion F-35 stealth fighter jets’ project.

Many had expected Fonberg to be replaced then, but instead he has spent the past year implementing billions of dollars in Defence Department spending cuts — much of which is being done behind closed doors with little explanation or outside input.

That responsibility will now fall to Richard Fadden, who has served for the past four years as director of Canada’s spy agency, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced Monday that Fonberg will become special adviser to Privy Council Clerk Wayne Wouters effective May 13, with Fadden coming over as deputy minister of National Defence.

The Conservative government had only recently appointed Canada’s former ambassador for climate change, Michael Martin, to serve alongside Fonberg, and most had expected him to take over as deputy minister.

Instead, they will get Fadden, who made headlines in June 2010 when he said in an interview that foreign countries were actively engaged in industrial and political spying in Canada, and that they held sway over several unnamed Canadian politicians.

The comments, broadcast days before Canada was to host that year’s G8 and G20 summits, angered Chinese officials, and Fadden wasn’t expected to last the year.

Instead, the government stood by him, and Fadden has remained Canada’s spymaster ever since, warning recently that Canada faces severe cyber-threats, and admitting that dozens of Canadians are believed to be involved in terrorism-related activities overseas.

Fadden’s appointment will be welcome by some within the military given National Defence’s close working relationship with Canada’s spy agency, and Fadden’s own knowledge and understanding of global security issues.

He also comes as the military is seeing its role shift from active combat operations in Afghanistan to supporting the security situation and forces in such regions as Latin America and the Caribbean, as well as the Middle East.

A key question, however, will be whether Fadden will be able to implement billions of dollars in cuts to the Defence Department budget ordered by Harper.

Michael Coulombe, currently a deputy director at CSIS, will fill in as the spy agency’s interim director until a permanent spymaster is appointed.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
DND DM => PM's National Security Advisor ....
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2015, 16:54:37 »
.... as of 19 Jan 2015 according to the PM's Info-machine:
Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced today the following changes in the senior ranks of the Public Service:

Richard Fadden, currently Deputy Minister of National Defence, becomes National Security Advisor to the Prime Minister, effective January 19,  2015 ....

Since I can't see any indication in the statement of a name being picked to take Fadden's place as DND DM, does that mean he's double-hatted as of 19 Jan, or "more to follow"?  Either of the posts sounds busy enough for one person, so I'm guessing the latter.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: DND DM => PM's National Security Advisor ....
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2015, 18:32:36 »
.... as of 19 Jan 2015 according to the PM's Info-machine:
Since I can't see any indication in the statement of a name being picked to take Fadden's place as DND DM, does that mean he's double-hatted as of 19 Jan, or "more to follow"?  Either of the posts sounds busy enough for one person, so I'm guessing the latter.

Ummmmm?

Mr Fantino of Veteran's Affairs fame is now the Associate Minister of Defence and will support the Minister of National Defence in the areas of arctic sovereignty, information technology security and foreign intelligence, thus continuing the Government’s efforts to defend our values and interests at home and around the world .....
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 18:38:46 by George Wallace »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2015, 18:42:16 »
World of difference between Fantino's new/old gig and being a DM or senior advisor.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2015, 18:59:22 »
The DM has more influence.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2015, 19:29:34 »
The DM has more influence.

A lot more ... DM has a direct line to the Clerk and, therefore, the PM, at all times. Most ministers (not Baird and Kenny and one or two others) must go through the PM's Chief of Staff; Clerk does not.
----------

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2015, 19:36:19 »
Moreover, he controls policy and money.  The CDS just provides military advice.
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Online whiskey601

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2015, 23:04:09 »
the idea of Fantino having any connection to CSE at a ministerial level is simply repulsive. 

Offline ArmyDoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2015, 19:57:12 »
DM's replacement has not yet been named, but Mr Fantino will report to him.

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2015, 21:16:27 »
DM's replacement has not yet been named, but Mr Fantino will report to him.

This chart doesn't list an Associate Minister, but it it does list a Senior Associate DM, so I'm assuming that is the person Fantino will report to, not the DM.
Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2015, 21:27:28 »
Cabinet posts do not report to bureaucrats.  It is the other way around.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2015, 22:42:40 »
Cabinet posts do not report to bureaucrats.  It is the other way around.

Well, yes, in theory, sorta  :nod:  ... but remember that 'Yes, Minister' and 'Yes, Prime Minister' were, really, documentaries.
----------

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Re: DND DM Comings & Goings (merged)
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2015, 16:00:58 »
This just in from the PMO:
Prime Minister Stephen Harper today announced the following changes in the senior ranks of the Public Service:

John Forster, currently Chief of Communications Security Establishment Canada, becomes Deputy Minister of National Defence, effective February 2, 2015.

Greta Bossenmaier, currently Senior Associate Deputy Minister for International Development, becomes Chief of Communications Security Establishment Canada, effective February 9, 2015.

( .... )

John Turner, currently Assistant Deputy Minister, Materiel, National Defence, becomes Associate Deputy Minister of National Defence, effective February 2, 2015 ....

Some background:
John Forster

Education
Master of Business Administration, YorkUniversity
Bachelor of Science, University of Toronto

Professional Experience
Since January 2012
Chief of Communications Security Establishment Canada

2009 - 2012
Associate Deputy Minister of Infrastructure

2006 - 2009
Assistant Deputy Minister, Policy and Communications, Infrastructure Canada

2004 - 2006
Associate Assistant Deputy Minister, Safety and Security, Transport Canada

2001 - 2004
Director General, Surface Programs and Divestiture, Transport Canada

1998 - 2001
Director General, Environmental Affairs, Transport Canada

1996 - 1998
Director, Sustainable Development and Environment, Natural Resources Canada

1991 - 1996
Director, Policy, CanadianForest Service, Natural Resources Canada

1984 - 1991
Program Analyst, then Director, Forest Development, Forestry Canada

1982 - 1984
Forestry Statistics Analyst, Canadian Forest Service, Environment Canada

Greta Bossenmaier

Education   
Master of Science, Operational Research, School of Engineering, StanfordUniversity
Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Faculty of Management, University of Manitoba

Professional Experience
Since January 2012
Senior Associate Deputy Minister for International Development

2009 - 2012
Deputy Minister, Afghanistan Task Force, Privy Council Office

2008 - 2009
Associate Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs

Executive Vice-President of the Canada Border Services Agency

2004 - 2008
Vice-President, Innovation, Science and Technology, Canada Border Services Agency

1999 - 2004
Chief Information Officer and Director General, Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada

1998 - 1999
Director General, Information Management and Technology Services, Fisheries and Oceans Canada

1994 - 1998
Director, Information Management and Technology, Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada

1990 - 1993
Chief, Information and Analysis, and Principal Analyst, Public Service Commission of Canada

1987 - 1988
Research Officer, United Nations High Commission for Refugees, Geneva, Switzerland

1984 - 1986, 1988 - 1990
Defence Scientist, Operational Research and Analysis Establishment, National Defence

(....)

John Turner

Education
Master of Strategic Studies, U.S. Army War College
Master of Business Administration, Queen’s University
Bachelor of Engineering Management, Royal Military College of Canada

Professional Experience
Since December 2012
Assistant Deputy Minister, Materiel, National Defence

2008 - 2012
Assistant Deputy Minister, Information Management, National Defence

2007 - 2008
Regional Deputy Commissioner, Atlantic, Correctional Service of Canada

2005 - 2007
Executive Director, Security and Justice Division, Treasury Board Secretariat

2004 - 2005
Director General, Strategic Planning, Business Integration and Shared Services, Public Works and Government Services Canada

2003 - 2004
Commander, Canadian Forces Joint Operations Group, Canadian Armed Forces

2002 - 2003
Special Assistant to the Deputy Chief of Defence Staff, Canadian Armed Forces

2000 - 2002
Director, Defence Analysis, Office of the Vice Chief of the Defence Staff, Canadian Armed Forces

(....)

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
New Deputy Minister for National Defence
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2015, 20:19:10 »
The head of CSEC is being promoted to Deputy Minister for National Defence.  John Forster takes on his new job on 02 February.  He'll also have a new #2; the current Assistant Deputy Minister for Materiel, John Turner, will move into the position of Associate Deputy Minister.  No word on a replacement for Mr Turner yet, nor any word as to where the current Associate Deputy Minister, Mr Bill Jones, will be going.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/cse-spy-chief-shuffled-to-defence

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Re: DND DM Comings & Goings (merged)
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2017, 15:29:25 »
Changes @ the top @ DND ...
The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today announced the following changes in the senior ranks of the Public Service:

Jody Thomas, currently Senior Associate Deputy Minister of National Defence, becomes Deputy Minister of National Defence, effective October 23, 2017.

Bill Matthews, currently Comptroller General of Canada, becomes Senior Associate Deputy Minister of National Defence, effective October 23, 2017.

Gordon Venner, currently Assistant Deputy Minister (Policy), National Defence, becomes Associate Deputy Minister of National Defence, effective October 23, 2017 ...
Bios ...
Jody Thomas

Education

Bachelor of Commerce, University of Calgary
Bachelor of Arts, Carleton University

Professional Experience

Since March 2017
Senior Associate Deputy Minister, National Defence

2015 - 2017
Commissioner of the Canadian Coast Guard, Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Special Advisor to the Deputy Secretary to the Cabinet (Operations), Privy Council Office

2010 - 2014
Deputy Commissioner of Operations, Canadian Coast Guard

2007 - 2010
Chief Operating Officer, Passport Canada

2004 - 2007
Director General, Security, Passport Canada

2003 - 2004
Director, Security Operations, Passport Canada

1995 - 2003
Manager, Security Operations, and various other positions, Passport Canada

1988 - 1995
Various positions, Public Works and Government Services Canada
Bill Matthews

Education

Bachelor of Commerce, Dalhousie University
Fellow of the Chartered Professional Accountants, Chartered Professional Accountant, Chartered Accountant (FCPA, CPA, CA)

Professional Experience

Since July 2014
Comptroller General of Canada

2011 - 2014
Assistant Secretary, Expenditure Management Sector, Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat

2009 - 2011
Assistant Comptroller General, Financial Management and Analysis Sector, Office of the Comptroller General, Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat

2008 - 2009
Executive Director, Financial Management and Analysis Sector, Office of the Comptroller General, Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat

2004 - 2008
Senior Director, Government Accounting Policy and Reporting, Office of the Comptroller General, Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat

1988 - 2004
Principal Consultant and Audit Manager, IBM and PricewaterhouseCoopers
Gordon Venner

Education

Masters, London School of Economics
Bachelor of Arts, University of Western Ontario

Professional Experience

Since August 2014
Assistant Deputy Minister, Policy, National Defence

2012 - 2014
Assistant Deputy Minister, G8 Sous-Sherpa and Senior Official for Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation

2010 - 2012
Assistant Deputy Minister, Middle East, Maghreb and Afghanistan, Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada

2008 - 2010
Assistant Secretary to the Cabinet, Foreign and Defence Policy, Privy Council Office

2006 - 2008
Director General, Middle East and North Africa, Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada

2004 - 2006
Ambassador to Iran, Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada

1996 - 2000
Counsellor at the Canadian Mission to the European Union, Brussels (Belgium)

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter