Author Topic: Transferring to another unit (RESERVE)  (Read 65137 times)

Offline Posthumane

• Probably the best beer in the world...
  • Rate Post
Re: Getting attached to another reserve unit
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2005, 11:08:05 »
Thanks, althouth I wasn't referring to training at CFSEME (ie, ql4, ql5) but rather something along the lines of driver trg so that I could actually do something at the SALH. Then again, for recce all one would need is iltis, and that's a pretty short conversion I think.
I'm not sure what you mean about the funds transfer between 31 and 41 CBG, as my current unit (14 Svc Bn) is also in 41 CBG.

I wouldn't have a chance to do my ql4 over this work term anyway (it's about three months of OJT), and wouldn't really mind getting a "non-css" position for a year, like a recce driver or something if that is even possible (so long as I still get to wear my horse :) ).

Offline J. Gayson

• Rate Post
  • . . .
Re: Getting attached to another reserve unit
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2005, 14:20:41 »
The unit would probably want you to be TCCCS and LUVW qualified.

Offline Posthumane

• Probably the best beer in the world...
  • Rate Post
Attach posting to another unit revisited
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2005, 11:03:06 »
Hello all,
A few months ago (mid march I believe), I submitted a memo through my chain of command with a request for an attach posting to another unit (SALH in medicine hat, ab). My reason for this request was that I was moving to medicine hat for a year due to civillian employment. Anyway, I did not hear anything back about it for some time. I have sent emails to the orderly room at my unit periodically probing the status of my request, but nobody seems to have any idea about what happened with that. Can anyone recomment a course of action to speed things up? I would like to get this sorted out before the units come off summer stand-down, so I don't miss too many parade nights and risk becoming NES.

Thanks
Jacob

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
Re: Attach posting to another unit revisited
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2005, 18:32:49 »
Is your immediate Supervisor aware of your situation? Follow the chain first. Maybe the OR hasn't recieved anything from the Unit. If it's been done properly, have your Supervisor phone the OR or go see the Chief Clerk in person. Emails are not the answer. If that doesn't work, tell your Supervisor, your seeking Redress. Ask for an Advisor to be appointed and tell them you want your interview with the CO scheduled. If that doesn't get action, carry through with it.
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline banksant

• Rate Post
Transfer from Army Reserves to Navy Reserves
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2005, 16:58:43 »
Anyone here transferred from Army Reserves to Navy Reserves?

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
Re: Transfer from Army Reserves to Navy Reserves
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2005, 17:33:22 »
I think you may have missed a forum to post this in.

No, belay that I think you have hit them all.
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline Monsoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2005, 20:18:02 »
I'm in NAVRES and know a number of people who have.  What's your question?

Offline banksant

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2005, 07:26:45 »
Thanks Hamiltongs. I have heard that although the basic officer training should be regarded the same regardless of environment, that in fact when one transfers the Navy does not always recognize the Army training as equivalent, and vice versa. I would be very interested to hear what happened to those who have actually completed the transfer. Also how long did it actually take and what they did to speed things up? Any information re the transfer would be most appreciated.
Thanks again

Offline Monsoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2005, 18:24:49 »
Of the few cases in particular that I'm aware, the Navy had no problem granting BOTC to Militia officers.  I some cases, they will not recognize Basic Recruit Training done as the "abbrevaited" in-unit courses run by some regiments, but my understanding is that the Militia BOTC meets the same standard as the NAVRES BOTC (which is acreditted by the Canadian Defence Academy).  In my experience, the officers generally proceeded directly to naval environmental training.  The Captains were knocked down to Sub-Lieutenant (Lt Army) and re-promoted to Lieutenant(Navy) upon completion of trade training.  Bear in mind, this is for component AND trade transfers - if you're a Logistics officer looking to just transfer to the Navy, the process is even more direct.

Regarding timeframe, as with all component transfers, it depends.  It can range from a few weeks to a few months.  To expedite, just make sure all of your administrative ducks are in a row and stay on top of the people handling your transfer.

Good luck.

Offline Navygal

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2005, 23:01:04 »
I know a few people who have switched from army to navres.  It depend on how much trg they had completed.  Those who had just completed 3 week basic had to re-do boot camp in Borden.  IF they had completed their SQ as well as BMQ, then they usually just went on to their QL1 course.  Was that the question?

Offline banksant

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2005, 13:44:14 »
Yes thank you that is helpful. Just also how long it took you to transfer? I am hearing it does vary, but can take up to a year. Any information you have re the transfer would be most helpful.

Thank you

Offline cesare753

• Rate Post
Reserve Unit Transferring?
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2006, 00:06:53 »
I'm in the Royal Regiment of Canada, I've been in for about 6 months, I’m still to complete my SQ and BIQ this summer and I may be moving to Calgary soon after my training. I was wondering if it were at all possible to transfer from R Regt C to a unit in Calgary, maybe The Calgary Highlanders, or The King's Own Calgary Regiment.

If anyone would be able to shed some light on this for me, it would be greatly appreciated

Offline Enfield

• Rate Post
Re: Reserve Unit Transferring?
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2006, 00:25:48 »
Talk to your chain of command. Your unit BOR can sort out a unit transfer, usually with little hassle, although you may want/need to return kit before you go. Definitely mention it before you go away for the summer, so you'll know what you need to do. As an infantry soldier you'll have to go to an infantry unit, but other than that the choice is up to you.

May You Live in Interesting Times

Offline MikeH

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2006, 19:44:27 »
I would put the transfer in now. From what I've heard from guys that have transfered to my unit ,is that it takes awhile for the transfer to go through.
Vegetarian.. ancient word for poor hunter....My grandfather was on JUNO beach to helped crush the Nazi's. Now it's my turn to help crush Terrorism.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2006, 23:13:40 »
Yup, they really should be no brainers and transfer of the paperwork, but they seldom seem to work out that way. It's early enough in your career also, that if you want to go to armour, it shouldn't be a problem. Depends on your CFAT and PSO mostly.
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2006, 23:23:19 »
It's early enough in your career also, that if you want to go to armour, it shouldn't be a problem.
But why on earth would he want to go armour if he's already infantry? Nice recruiting effort though   ;)

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2006, 23:25:41 »
But why on earth would he want to go armour if he's already infantry? Nice recruiting effort though   ;)

Because he asked?

I'm in the Royal Regiment of Canada, I've been in for about 6 months, I’m still to complete my SQ and BIQ this summer and I may be moving to Calgary soon after my training. I was wondering if it were at all possible to transfer from R Regt C to a unit in Calgary, maybe The Calgary Highlanders, or The King's Own Calgary Regiment.

If anyone would be able to shed some light on this for me, it would be greatly appreciated

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline ONT

• Rate Post
PRes Unit Transfer
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2010, 21:55:18 »
Just wondering if it's possible to switch units while your in the middle of a course?

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: PRes Unit Transfer
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2010, 06:23:45 »
The answer can't be made without more information.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline ONT

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2010, 12:25:27 »
What more information do you need? Its a weekend course and I want to transfer units to a different city but same trade, and I want to do it soon, maybe before the course is over. So I want to know if you can put in a transfer if my course is still running?

Online NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2010, 12:33:34 »
What more information do you need? Its a weekend course and I want to transfer units to a different city but same trade, and I want to do it soon, maybe before the course is over. So I want to know if you can put in a transfer if my course is still running?

Well that is the information that Mr. Wallace was asking for.

MILNET.CA MENTOR
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline ONT

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2010, 13:57:55 »
Well that is the information that Mr. Wallace was asking for.

MILNET.CA MENTOR

Alright, I wasn't sure. Anyone have any ideas?

Offline TR

• Rate Post
  • Crewman/Recruiter
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2010, 14:03:53 »
You would have to find out if the unit in the new city has a position for you and are they willing to take on an untrained Pte. You may also ask if they are willing to keep paying for you to complete the course in a different location.

Where are you now and where do you want to go?

Offline ONT

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2010, 15:01:20 »
I would probably finish out the course with my current unit, but then ask for a transfer to the new city afterwards. I would imagine that the current city would be pretty upset about me doing that though...correct? The only other thing is that my course ends in May and I know the unit goes on stand down around June, so would that leave enough time for me to get the transfer through so I could do summer courses with my new unit?

Offline Redeye

Living The Afghan National Army Dream...

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Hope Is Not A Method
    • The Unofficial Website of the Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2010, 15:23:58 »
Transfers are the nature of the beast in the Reserve world - as long as you're open about your plans you likely won't have any trouble - the gaining unit just has to agree to take you on, but I can't say I've ever heard of that not happening.
Palma Non Sine Pulvere - Nothing Worth Having Comes Easily!