Author Topic: Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread  (Read 568890 times)

Offline starlight_745

• Rate Post
Re: Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2004, 18:09:54 »
I have a buddy who is infantry and he has been told that for his Mod 6 they will be merging the infantry DP2B course into the Mod6 to create an Infantry PLQ Mod 6.  Apparently he has been told it includes a bunch of new stuff like FIBUA etc.  According to what he has been told there will be no other trades on the course and CSS will be attending their own PLQ.  I have not seen course briques for next summer yet so I am not sure but I have been told this by several people who I would deem to be in the know.

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2004, 19:01:16 »
I have no doubt that you heard it from a reliable source. My Platoon WO on my Mod 6 told me (in 2003) that our Mod 6 would be the last combined one. In late 2003, an Ops O told me that the summer of 2004 would offer the ISCC again for the Infantry, and still nothing has happened. I'm not trying to dispute the validity of your sources, but I've been hearing the same thing for a couple years from other people who are supposedly "in the know".
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2004, 20:01:44 »
Why do we insist on changing the format every two years?
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Rushrules

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2004, 17:21:36 »
The content for PLQ mod 6 was changed about a year ago, but some Areas/Bde's may not feel like running 2 different courses.  The Reg F CSS/CS do the CF-PLQ, and the Reg F CA (and maybe the engineers) do the PLQ-Land.  The Reserves do the PLQ-Land.  As indicated above, the INF is supposed to do their own PLQ-INF.  It was the same way for the JNCO crse- one was CSS, one was INF.

I'm not well informed on the PLQ-INF, so I'll leave that one alone.  The CF-PLQ is basically the old JLC, which included drill, knowledge and skill lessons, as well as small party tasks.  In addition to this, the PLQ-L includes Army leadership, such as leading patrols, def routine, and quick attacks.

Offline Sharpie

• Rate Post
  • Black Hatter
    • The WIndsor Regiment
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2004, 19:45:59 »
Mod 6 is 6 weeks long, approx. approx. 2 1/2 - 3 weeks death by powerpoint, approx. 2 weeks in the field and 1 week of admin.

The field portion is as follows: 2 days small party taskings, 2 days Nav Ex, 4 days Patrolling, 4 Days Section Attacks and Defensive.

Still very heavily based on the Infantry. I to have heard they are messing with the MOD 6 and seperating trades. Would make sence as section attacks and defensive in depth (as on MOD 6) are "almost" pointless to me in my trade.

Yes section attacks are a great leadership building tool, but there are other ways to do that, example...crew commanding.
~semper paratus~

Offline CFN. Orange

• Rate Post
  • Proud to be Canadian ARTE ET MARTE
    • http://www.25service.ca
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2004, 17:05:38 »
apparantley the changes will be occuring soon they just haven't given a date to when thats going to happen
Proud to drink and be Canadian.
True Blue Leafs Fan.
ARTE ET MARTE

R421 Weaps Tech (land)
25 Svc Bn (Toronto)

pro patria

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2004, 10:27:43 »
With all of the leadership courses changing and getting much less damanding all the soldier that are passing
with ease.   It stated 10 years ago and now its starting to hurt us

Offline Bert

• Rate Post
  • Military
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2004, 20:59:19 »
How so?  Whats the proof?

Offline Michael Dorosh

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt!
    • CANUCK
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2004, 21:19:51 »
With all of the leadership courses changing and getting much less damanding all the soldier that are passing
with ease.   It stated 10 years ago and now its starting to hurt us

I hear you don't even have to be able to express yourself well in written communication to be an NCO these days.  Can you shed any light on that for us?
"So, how's your sister?" -Brigadeführer Hermann Fegelein

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com
 http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com

Offline Love793

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2005, 21:49:01 »
Military correspondance is (re)taught on Mod 5.  Unfortunately it is during the 10 days of Computer based learning, most guys on my crse just scimmed through and hit the fwd link to make it look like we work working.  I saw more games of solitare played in those ten days then any time in my carreer.  A lot of time was also spent "Catching up with foreign and domestic affairs" (Canada Kicks *** site) and ensuring the economic security of Tim Hortons.
The role of Cavalry is to add dash and colour, to a otherwise drab event called war.

Offline Michael Dorosh

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt!
    • CANUCK
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2005, 21:53:24 »
Military correspondance is (re)taught on Mod 5.  Unfortunately it is during the 10 days of Computer based learning, most guys on my crse just scimmed through and hit the fwd link to make it look like we work working.  I saw more games of solitare played in those ten days then any time in my carreer.  A lot of time was also spent "Catching up with foreign and domestic affairs" (Canada Kicks *** site) and ensuring the economic security of Tim Hortons.

I also hear that NCOs don't have to be able to recognize irony these days; I wonder if that was taught on Mod 5?
"So, how's your sister?" -Brigadeführer Hermann Fegelein

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com
 http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com

Offline SHELLDRAKE!!

• Rate Post
  • BIG GUN GO BOOM
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2005, 21:57:05 »
I have to agree that the leadership course has become less effective in that weekends are now off(limits the abillity to instill stressfull environment), weapon drill is no longer taught, a candidate only needs to know how to form a basic formation etc.Although alot of the changes were for the good, in the end IMHO the quality of some future leaders coming off a recent course is reflected by their actions when put into stressful environments.
"Artillerymen believe the world consists of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets"-unknown

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2005, 22:11:52 »
I hear you don't even have to be able to express yourself well in written communication to be an NCO these days.  Can you shed any light on that for us?

I also hear that NCOs don't have to be able to recognize irony these days; I wonder if that was taught on Mod 5?

Laugh My Aise Off (It was so good I had to write it out complete!!!)  Michael dude you have sussed it out man.

this thread should be locked, this is too much like the other of yer posts, pro patria.  Are your really in earnest, or are you trying to see how far you get?

tess

I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

pro patria

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2005, 00:39:05 »
Post topic get slammed, I have spent the last 12 years inst in INF School, Meaford, and Petawawa. My observation is what i stated before. This is with eyes on the ground not in the sky.

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2005, 00:43:00 »
I hear you don't have to take the field portion if you're on the CF PLQ. And they're applying new changes yet again so that support trades don't have to do field portion of PLQ as well.

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2005, 01:43:54 »
hmm 12 years instructing in the infantry . . In Meaford. . . . . and Petawawa even.... . whoa

ok I guess the post is legit...

didn't mean to rain on your Parade square..

tess

« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 01:47:47 by the 48th regulator »
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

SigPigs

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2005, 01:57:59 »
I just went on my PLQ in Esquimalt of all places. I am an army guy, a radio tech or LCIS as we are now. Anyway I was taught weapons drill, and written communication was taught very well. Was it extremely demanding, no. But it is better than being treated like  a recruit and yelled at and run around like a bunch of dorks. We were taught about skills we need to succeed in the rank we were given.  Mostly already, as it is back logged. Give us tools to do our leading, and mostly, learning... as you know when you leave school you think you know it all and you really don't know anything. You have the skills to learn more though, and that's what we need.

Andrew

pro patria

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2005, 15:44:12 »
No two PLQ crses are the same, Tp is always changing. Their is always some type of field small party tasks etc

Offline GerryCan

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2005, 10:06:45 »
Laugh My Aise Off (It was so good I had to write it out complete!!!)  Michael dude you have sussed it out man.

this thread should be locked, this is too much like the other of yer posts, pro patria.  Are your really in earnest, or are you trying to see how far you get?

tess

Seems to me that your post isn't too much different than pro patrias... I don't have a clue as to what the hell you just said.

Sussed it out???
*Insert Dramatic Quote Here*

Offline elminister

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2005, 13:41:11 »
I must agree with Andrew, it's a learning process and you can't expect nco's to learn to be a leader in the few weeks of their PLQ.
"Remember if you love something let it go and if it remains it's yours."

jmackenzie_15

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2005, 13:51:10 »
Making a leadership course easy and less demanding will not produce as good quality leaders as ones that survive the difficult ones.
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that the Sgts that did their PLQ (JLC or ISS) back 10 years ago, are far more mentally hardened than the ones that have done it in the last few years? Perhaps this is due to experience, but I cant help but feel that if you put someone through a long hard time in PLQ, theyll come out the other end harder and stronger than before, and vice versa.

Offline Sharpie

• Rate Post
  • Black Hatter
    • The WIndsor Regiment
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2005, 14:18:27 »
My 2 - 5's were not that demanding. Physically yes they were but the actual learning portion has been raped. Wasn't to impressed to be honest. My Mod 6. was extremely demanding in all aspects, but was still directed at Infantry and no other trades really. But I will admit that section attacks are a great command and control learning tool.

But as stated above, no two courses are the same, due to different staff etc... My Mod 6 was the hardest course I've taken in my 11 years, wich is funny as my Mods 2-5 was probably the easiest. With that said, I think Mods 2-5 need to be restructured. More voice culture and learning words of command should be brought back,. if it hasn't been in the last 2 or 3 years.
~semper paratus~

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2005, 15:26:13 »
Get rid of this bloody PLQ modular bull**** and bring back the Combat Leadership Course.

That'll sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Getting nights off and not going out to the field for weeks on end....that's not a leadership course....it's a cake walk. I know a few guys on it right now and they get off "work" and get to go home at night. Whatever happened to doing it as a course in house for the entire time and getting it completed in one shot?

6 modules....at home study....last mod taught as a real course. You can't say that every unit has the same standards.

I'm sure that there are some people out there who think the PLQ or whatever it's called is the best thing going....

::)

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2005, 12:35:13 »
Quote,
Getting nights off and not going out to the field for weeks on end....that's not a leadership course....it's a cake walk. I know a few guys on it right now and they get off "work" and get to go home at night. Whatever happened to doing it as a course in house for the entire time and getting it completed in one shot?

6 modules....at home study....last mod taught as a real course. You can't say that every unit has the same standards.

I know I've been gone a long time but are you telling me this replaced the CLC? :o
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Sharpie

• Rate Post
  • Black Hatter
    • The WIndsor Regiment
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2005, 13:34:24 »
Whatever happened to doing it as a course in house for the entire time and getting it completed in one shot?

They still offer that, 11 weeks at Leadership Coy., Mod 6 of that is 6 weeks in duration.

~semper paratus~