Author Topic: Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread  (Read 554099 times)

Offline Pickle Rick

• Rate Post
Re: Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread
« Reply #725 on: April 27, 2017, 10:09:11 »
How long is the current PLQ?

My PLQ was
Mod 1(DL) - 2 weeks
Mod 2 - 2 weeks
Mod 3 - 3 weeks
Mod 4 Infantry - 5 weeks

I believe the Army Mod 4 was 3 weeks in length.

This was a couple years ago, but I imagine the course content/length for this new JLC is similar.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 10:14:18 by LightFighter »

Offline Ex_RMP

• Rate Post
  • Exemplo Ducemus
« Reply #726 on: May 06, 2017, 18:56:17 »
Are you certain?  Because there are a few Army trades that don't do PLQ-A but PLQ-common.  And there are still more purple trades that don't do it.  EGS techs for example do the common PLQ, and maybe SQ

Seems odd that comms rsrch would do it...

That being said, "train as needed" is foreign to the Army.  Otherwise we wouldn't have mechanics and gun-plumbers pepper-potting for miles, or supply technicians with jump wings...

Currently on mine at Shilo and we have 2 Comms Rsrch on course and both are doing the AJLC after Mod 3, one is Air Force other Army
Exemplo Ducemus

Offline LoKe

• Rate Post
« Reply #727 on: July 09, 2017, 11:16:39 »
Currently on mine at Shilo and we have 2 Comms Rsrch on course and both are doing the AJLC after Mod 3, one is Air Force other Army
All 291ers will do BMQ-L (SQ) and PLQ-A (mod1-3) and AJLC, regardless of DEU.

Is James still alive, btw?

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #728 on: July 10, 2017, 13:30:03 »
My PLQ was
Mod 1(DL) - 2 weeks
Mod 2 - 2 weeks
Mod 3 - 3 weeks
Mod 4 Infantry - 5 weeks

I believe the Army Mod 4 was 3 weeks in length.

This was a couple years ago, but I imagine the course content/length for this new JLC is similar.

Last I heard the current PLQ-A is 7 weeks
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline JMei001

• Rate Post
« Reply #729 on: October 15, 2017, 11:43:27 »
Hey guys, I’m just trying to map out/guesstimate my training for the next ~5 heads to plan out all my extra curriculum non-military. By the end of this summer I’m poised to complete my BMQ, BMQ (L), and my QL3. Next summer will be QL4. When will I get the chance to get onto a PLQ course as a PRes Medic? If offered at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #730 on: October 15, 2017, 12:37:11 »
Hey guys, I’m just trying to map out/guesstimate my training for the next ~5 heads to plan out all my extra curriculum non-military. By the end of this summer I’m poised to complete my BMQ, BMQ (L), and my QL3. Next summer will be QL4. When will I get the chance to get onto a PLQ course as a PRes Medic? If offered at all

That is almost impossible to guess, really.  It depends on your unit (how many people are ahead of you for it who can get the time to take it), the same thing in your Bde, Div...are there enough courses running that particular FY (never know when cuts to trg come down to meet direction on budgets), etc.
Pilot, RADAR...turn right, heading...3-6-5...

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #731 on: October 15, 2017, 22:32:48 »

You will also have to show some leadership aptitude. Your unit will not send just anyone and every to PLQ because they have to understand things like Battle Procedure and must display the ability to make military decisions under extreme stress. You don't always get the say if you go on the course, you can ask for it, but if they feel you're not ready for it, they won't send you.

Generally, in the Reserve Force, PLQ is something you get at least 4 years of service
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline JMei001

• Rate Post
« Reply #732 on: October 15, 2017, 22:34:34 »
You will also have to show some leadership aptitude. Your unit will not send just anyone and every to PLQ because they have to understand things like Battle Procedure and must display the ability to make military decisions under extreme stress. You don't always get the say if you go on the course, you can ask for it, but if they feel you're not ready for it, they won't send you.

Generally, in the Reserve Force, PLQ is something you get at least 4 years of service
Awesome, thanks. I go on BMQ Dec 1st really excited.

Offline robin5693

• Rate Post
« Reply #733 on: December 23, 2017, 00:17:15 »
How do I go about registering for Mod 1(DL)? I've searched DLN for a number of different terms... PLQ, Primary Leadership Qualification, Primary, Leadership, mod1, PLQ DL, etc. and can't find anything....

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #734 on: December 23, 2017, 00:38:35 »
You must be nominated for the course - it's not self-selection.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline robin5693

• Rate Post
« Reply #735 on: December 23, 2017, 01:03:09 »
Yeah I thought so too, but this email chain I got from my CM seems to say that I have to register myself?

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #736 on: December 23, 2017, 01:16:53 »
Yeah I thought so too, but this email chain I got from my CM seems to say that I have to register myself?

No because it is set up like serials, there is a set number of days it runs, you have staff in gagetown who you report too, you are nominated for PLQ, and then you are loaded onto mod 1.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #737 on: December 24, 2017, 18:47:10 »

Might have to register for a DLN/DNDLearn account. If you're loaded, course will show up there.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #738 on: December 30, 2017, 15:57:59 »

See your Ops or Orderly Room to pull down a copy of your CFTPO message.  Details for course registration should be included on that.  If the email chain from your career manager also included your course message, one of the paras on that should contain the contact pers details for registration.

You also have to register a DND Learn account.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Mediman14

• Rate Post
PLQ Topic
« Reply #739 on: April 03, 2018, 18:56:51 »
Does anyone know if PLQ Courses still teach warning orders and small party taskings? It's been awhile since I completed the course and things change so often now in the CAF. It would not surprise me if it is not part of the course anymore!
   I have a few Mbrs who are slated to go on PLQ course this late summer, I would like to help prepare them.

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: PLQ Topic
« Reply #740 on: April 03, 2018, 19:24:49 »
Does anyone know if PLQ Courses still teach warning orders and small party taskings? It's been awhile since I completed the course and things change so often now in the CAF. It would not surprise me if it is not part of the course anymore!
   I have a few Mbrs who are slated to go on PLQ course this late summer, I would like to help prepare them.

That is still the main component of the course, Battle procedure. The tactics school has a good two page aide-memoir with all sorts of useful info  and mission task verbs that you can download from their SharePoint site.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline Mediman14

• Rate Post
Re: PLQ Topic
« Reply #741 on: April 03, 2018, 19:58:53 »
That is still the main component of the course, Battle procedure. The tactics school has a good two page aide-memoir with all sorts of useful info  and mission task verbs that you can download from their SharePoint site.

Thank you

Offline ringo598

• Rate Post
« Reply #742 on: April 03, 2018, 22:34:10 »
I would emphasize fitness and marching as well.  Having just finished PLQ/ALJC out west a few weeks ago.  Our course was about 38 to start and we graduated with 17 I believe, 95% of the loss was medical RTU.  For the first field ex according to GPS we hit just about 54km in mukluks (Required to wear by the school if below 0C) and more during the 2nd field ex for ALJC.  Speaking with many of the people on my course and my own experience, the course was much more of a...I don't want to use the word hazing, I'll use the term constant and prolonged confirmation of combat knowledge for 8 weeks.  All trades/elements had to do the first course (CAF-PLQ) and anyone from the air/navy side was in for a rude awakening since many had not rucked or done field work since BMQ, we also did not pass any females as all were medically RTU'ed due to the way the course was run.  But your experience might vary, as three other courses running in 3 other locations lost I believe 6 in total and I had several friends on those courses who mentioned a mentoring attitude from the staff and they finished the course with a good understanding of leadership.  The three people with the most overseas experience did not complete the course either, as 2 wrote memo's to have themselves removed...it was an interesting course.
"Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple. This has been my whole life's motto."- Mikhail Kalashnikov, Creator of the AK47

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #743 on: April 03, 2018, 23:10:29 »
For the first field ex according to GPS we hit just about 54km in mukluks (Required to wear by the school if below 0C)

Wait, what? What sort of inane bullshit is this? Mukluks are a great piece of kit and have their place. Sustained marching for long distances just below the freezing mark is not it. The human body during physical activity, with good socks and a decent boot is perfectly capable of keeping the foot warm somewhat below the freezing mark.

If your course has half casualties from forced marching wearing mukluks, then the staff need to ask themselves whether the demand they are putting on you realistically reflects what troops would be doing in wartime. No commander would be enforcing a dress standard that is not tailored to the task at hand and that reduces his or her effective strength by half. It sounds like a bunch of troops have lost a career course because of a stupid command decision compounded by leadership without the balls to stand up to same. Troops still have the right to be trained safely.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #744 on: April 04, 2018, 00:09:20 »
That's the thing I never understood, why are PLQ/AJLC being run to break soldiers and giving them belt-fed ****? That's how you end people's careers, make people bitter and jaded, and then you turn them into shitty leaders.
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline rmc_wannabe

• CADPAT Computer Nerd
  • Rate Post
  • NTLDR is missing, PRESS Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
« Reply #745 on: April 04, 2018, 05:41:21 »
That's the thing I never understood, why are PLQ/AJLC being run to break soldiers and giving them belt-fed ****? That's how you end people's careers, make people bitter and jaded, and then you turn them into shitty leaders.

I was very thankful to have had the staff I did for my PLQ/AJLC out of Meaford.

The dedication of those instructors to take extra time to set us up for success was crucial in us having graduated 34 out of 38 candidates. Multiple instructors on IR would come by in the evening and help mentor and do remedial things like going over lesson plans and TTPs if we were stuck.

All goals were attainable, however , we weren't given a soft go. Training standards were met by every candidate and we all learned something from the course. Our Course Warrrant said it best "the CAF gets nothing from me producing 16 people who survived a COCKing, but it gains 38 leaders if I do the job right."

Ringo, it sounds like you all were victims of toxic leadership.
"One of the most feared expressions in modern times is 'The computer is down.'"
 -Norman Ralph Augustine

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #746 on: April 04, 2018, 07:47:51 »
If your course has half casualties from forced marching wearing mukluks, then the Standards staff need to ask the Command Team whether the demand they are putting on you realistically reflects what troops would be doing in wartime. No commander would be enforcing a dress standard that is not tailored to the task at hand and that reduces his or her effective strength by half. It sounds like a bunch of troops have lost a career course because of a stupid command decision compounded by leadership without the balls to stand up to same. Troops still have the right to be trained safely.

If the course staff don't see an issue, the Standards cell should be seeing it IMO.  I absolutely despise stupid command decisions like 'everyone will wear mukluks below 0 degress'.  I can see being ordered to wear that stuff (if for some reason you didn't...) at places like....Crystal City/ATC but that's a different kind of stupid there.

There's always the issue of a 'common' PLQ, with the same QS and TP being implemented by various training establishments across the Forces;  when Ringo says "out west" I take that to mean Wain-wrong.  As he mentioned 'people were in for a rude awakening' if they were Navy or Air and many were RTUd medically.  What's the point of that, breaking people with ruck marches.  You know how many ruck marches I've done since I put on blue DEUs in 2007?  None.  Not a single one.  Because in the air force, we don't even have ruck sacks if we end up on the ground in hostile territory.  So why would I need to carry one around for 50+ kms in mukluks on a 'common' CAF PLQ?  Because I'd bet you the PLQ in Borden or the one the RCN runs out of Halifax, they aren't rucking 50+km in mukluks.

End result?  A 'common'  Jnr Leadership course that ends up not being 'common' at all.  Should the jnr leadership course be challenging?  Yes it should.  It should also be relevant to the environment people are working in - a Aviation Tech shouldn't be at an Army TE for leadership training anymore than a cbt arms Cpl should be in Borden at the AF Academy doing his/hers.  Because as much as we like to pretend there's no difference, there really is a difference between what the army, navy and air force expects out of the junior NCOs in their operational environments.   :2c:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 10:30:45 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline ringo598

• Rate Post
« Reply #747 on: April 04, 2018, 08:35:04 »
Here's the kicker, the staff (one or two did in fact wear mukluks) for the most part wore...neos.  We had other fun parts like a 3am wakeup with an air-raid siren on Sunday night so people were sleepy before we even started the 2nd field ex or the day after day of section attacks (Again wearing mukluks) in snow until people were just zombies.  Standards seemed completely on board, perhaps I'm a bit bitter as I saw what I felt were some good soldiers potentially end or delay their careers for really no good training value.  I don't doubt my own bias towards the course shows, since I feel I just wasted 9 weeks of my life and I'm not at all a better leader for it.  I wish I could have gotten a PLQ like RMC_Wannabe, as it would have been nice to go on a leadership course and emerge as a better leader.  But that's a big tangent.

Prepare your feet, nav skills, rucking skills, and I would heavily practice the orders format (SMESC) with the sub headings.  I also suggest basic briefing skills as a lot of people had difficulty there.  For example briefing a map for Situation: Enemy, Situation: Friendly, etc.  For any army managed trades, I would suggest going over defensive, offensive and stabilizing ops (There is a book avail) since we had a lot of test failures since the tests for PLQ are no longer the typical military style multiple choice, its now short answer.
"Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple. This has been my whole life's motto."- Mikhail Kalashnikov, Creator of the AK47

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #748 on: April 04, 2018, 09:02:26 »
There is value to section attacks;  to assess command and control, planning, stamina, etc.  I did my Jnr Leadership course back in the days when there was ISCC for infanteers, CLC for Cbt arms/CSS;  I was on the CLC course.  We had a 'garrison' portion where we did all our Mil Law, Admin, MOI, etc and got little sleep.  This was before the time of computers and powerpoint;  we had to make our lesson plans with paper and pen, and had to have 2 copies for our lectures;  you learned the importance of remembering your daily ADREPs simply by forgetting to indent for more carbon paper (nothing funner than handwriting out your second LP copy at 2am...when PT starts at 5).

We did section attacks by day, and recce patrols by night during the field portion;  our course staff decided to do that, our sister course did a defensive portion.  Standardization??  My fireteam partner was a Fin Clerk female;  I found the course 'reasonable' and she thought it was complete BS.  She should have been on a JLC not a CLC IMO.  I feel the same way now, but that is me.  I don't believe in the 'all trades' common PLQ and then using infantry type tasks (section attacks, as an example) to assess everyone on an even playing field.  Ask the CFCWO when the last time he did a section attack was.

However, I was cbt arms back then and there was actually leadership value in day after day of section attacks and recce patrols and fatigue and the 'physical/field challenges'.  I don't, however, think there is for hard air or sea trades doing this training; it doesn't resemble what they will be doing in the operational environments.  Sure you can assess orders format, planning, command and control but I can also do that in other ways too.  Fatigue is different in each operational environment, though.  I don't do ruck marches now, but flying (as much as this sounds like BS) itself can tire you out;  down low bouncing around, 2G 60 degree turns over and over in ASW while slinging 75lb sono's (that suddenly weigh 2 times their normal weight during those 2G turns...flight deck, please call 'manouvering' before the turns  :orly:) around, or at higher altitudes (your cabin pressure is say, 10k feet so you spend half a day like you're suddenly sitting on top of a 10k mountain).  Ruck marches won't prepare air personnel for that, as an example or how to be good jnr leaders in that environment. 

So, for those people who are posted to the land environment (regardless of DEU), the army does have a vested interest in Jnr Leaders who can operate in the environment the army finds itself.  The course shouldn't be a cakewalk, but it shouldn't break over 50% of the students.  If it does, physically, then maybe we should be taking a look at the FORCE test and our PT policy needs to be reinforced at the unit level - I am fully aware some units in the CAF look at "PT time" the same they would if you said you wanted an hour a day to 'just sit around and do nothing'. 

So, to me, a few issues present itself from the story of your CAF PLQ common phase.

I was an instructor in Leadership Coy back in the mid'ish 90s - we had several courses on the go, Army JNCO (ISCC), JNCO OAS (Jnr NCO Other Arms and Services...a mix between CLC and JLC leaning toward the CLC side).  The way it was done back then, instructors lived how the students did.  If the students were in FFO cammed up, so were we.  We also, 20 years ago or so now, had some of the same issues as your courses are seeing now;  standardization or lack of it, the same courses being run differently by even different staff in the same TE, people inserting 'critical items' in assessments not approved by Standards because they felt the 'standard was too low'.  This wheel will, unfortunately, continue to go around until each environment/command establishes their own Leadership schools - which will never happen.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 10:33:52 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #749 on: April 04, 2018, 09:58:44 »
There is value to section attacks;  to assess command and control, planning, stamina, etc.  I did my Jnr Leadership course back in the days when there was ISCC for infanteers, CLC for Cbt arms/CSS;  I was on the CLC course.  We had a 'garrison' portion where we did all our Mil Law, Admin, MOI, etc and got little sleep.  This was before the time of computers and powerpoint;  we had to make our lesson plans with paper and pen, and had to have 2 copies for our lectures;  you learned the importance of remembering your daily ADREPs simply by forgetting to indent for more carbon paper (nothing funner than handwriting out your second LP copy at 2am...when PT starts at 5).

We did section attacks by day, and recce patrols by night during the field portion;  our course staff decided to do that, our sister course did a defensive portion.  Standardization??  My fireteam partner was a Fin Clerk female;  I found the course 'reasonable' and she thought it was complete BS.  She should have been on a JLC not a CLC IMO.  I feel the same way now, but that is me.  I don't believe in the 'all trades' common PLQ and then using infantry type tasks (section attacks, as an example) to assess everyone on an even playing field.  Ask the CFCWO when the last time he did a section attack was.

However, I was cbt arms back then and there was actually leadership value in day after day of section attacks and recce patrols and fatigue and the 'physical/field challenges'.  I don't, however, think there is for hard air or sea trades doing this training; it doesn't resemble what they will be doing in the operational environments.  Sure you can assess orders format, planning, command and control but I can also do that in other ways too.  Fatigue is different in each operational environment, though.  I don't do ruck marches now, but flying (as much as this sounds like BS) itself can tire you out;  down low bouncing around, 2G 60 degree turns over and over in ASW while slinging 75lb sono's (that randomly weight 2 times there normal weight during those 2G turns...) around, or at higher altitudes (your cabin pressure is say, 10k feet so you spend half a day like you're suddenly sitting on top of a 10k mountain).  Ruck marches won't prepare air personnel for that, as an example or how to be good jnr leaders in that environment. 

So, for those people who are posted to the land environment (regardless of DEU), the army does have a vested interest in Jnr Leaders who can operate in the environment the army finds itself.  The course shouldn't be a cakewalk, but it shouldn't break over 50% of the students.  If it does, physically, then maybe we should be taking a look at the FORCE test and our PT policy needs to be reinforced at the unit level - I am fully aware some units in the CAF look at "PT time" the same they would if you said you wanted an hour a day to 'just sit around and do nothing'. 

So, to me, a few issues present itself from the story of your CAF PLQ common phase.

I was an instructor in Leadership Coy back in the mid'ish 90s - we had several courses on the go, Army JNCO (ISCC), JNCO OAS (Jnr NCO Other Arms and Services...a mix between CLC and JLC leaning toward the CLC side).  The way it was done back then, instructors lived how the students did.  If the students were in FFO cammed up, so were we.  We also, 20 years ago or so now, had some of the same issues as your courses are seeing now;  standardization or lack of it, the same courses being run differently by even different staff in the same TE, people inserting 'critical items' in assessments not approved by Standards because they felt the 'standard was too low'.  This wheel will, unfortunately, continue to go around until each environment/command establishes their own Leadership schools - which will never happen.

Interesting insight.  I have 2 questions:

1)  Why do we need a PLQ/JLC/CLC, what ever acronym we want to use today, when a member has been judged by their snr trades people to be ready and able to take on this next role ?  To further clarify, if we put people forth as ready or immediately ready to be a MS/MCpl and take on more responsibility and leadership in their trade, as proven by their substantiated performance and potential on their PERs why do we feel it necessary to reconfirm this ?  Do we not trust people writing the PERs and providing mentoring and leadership to their members ?  Or are we just doing things because its always been done that way ? 

2)   
This wheel will, unfortunately, continue to go around until each environment/command establishes their own Leadership schools - which will never happen.
  How do you do this for purple trades ?  My opinion is their respective trades schools (Think CFLTC/CFSAL ect) should be looking after this course if it further required.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way