Author Topic: CF Basic Parachutist - Q&A  (Read 134732 times)

Wilson601

CF Basic Parachutist - Q&A
« on: April 05, 2003, 21:12:00 »
I‘ve been told i‘ve been nominated to take the jump crs. as the units sending one guy to trenton(?) to part take in the fun filled 3 week badboy of a crs.

They‘ve nominated 3 people but only ones‘ goin so i gotta get in shape, i was wondering if anyone knew the PT requirements offhand, it wold really really help me out guys. Thx.

:skull:

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: PARA CRS. PT TEST
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2003, 21:57:00 »
Do a search of old topics around here as it‘s a pretty common question and has risen before.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: PARA CRS. PT TEST
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2003, 22:44:00 »
My mistake...thought it was listed under an easy topic like jump test or something similar:)

Here ya go

http://cdnarmy.ca/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000583
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline JasonH

• Rate Post
Para training
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 18:48:00 »
How hard is it/much to it?  I‘d give my left nut for when I go in to be able to get a para course.
It is foolish to mourn who died.  Rather we should thank God that such man lived.
General George S. Patton

Offline Yeoman

• I have to wear pants?!?
  • Rate Post
  • land of misfit toys
Re: Para training
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 18:56:00 »
be prepared to run
EVERYWHERE
be prepared to see a good 125 push ups per day at least.
throw a ruck on, and go run for 6 klicks.
do alot of chin ups
I didn‘t have to give my left nut, I just asked for it and I got it. now that made no sense to me. I was a FNG and I got jump, go figure.
Greg
Be normal and the crowd accepts you, be deranged and they will make you their leader.

Offline JasonH

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 19:03:00 »
Sounds fun  :D  I‘m totally up for that  :D .  After trade training would I take thta or what?
It is foolish to mourn who died.  Rather we should thank God that such man lived.
General George S. Patton

Offline AlphaCharlie

• Rate Post
  • Pro Patria
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 19:19:00 »
I would love to do jump training. sounds like a hoot.
Ducimus. We Lead.

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004, 19:27:00 »
Im gonna be realistic and wait till Im in the best shape i can be in.  :D  

Definatly something I‘d love to do though.
The true measure of a man is how well he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good

Munit Haec et Altera Vincit

"2..4..6..8..tiptoe, sneak, and infiltrate, yaaaaaay, recce!" - Kat Stevens

Offline JasonH

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 19:36:00 »
Originally posted by Sh0rtbUs:
[qb] Im gonna be realistic and wait till Im in the best shape i can be in.   :D  

Definatly something I‘d love to do though. [/qb]
Exactly, I‘m not getten my hopes up but I‘m gonna ****well try my hardest.  It‘d be a dream to get Para.
General George S. Patton

Offline Lexi

• Rate Post
  • Hi.
    • Ducimus
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 19:39:00 »
And you know what, bud, I have full confidence.
But you‘re too much of a sweetheart to go army...  :D
62 Royal Hamilton Light Infantry
Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps

Semper Paratus!
Proud young supporter of the Canadian Armed Forces          :salute:

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2004, 19:50:00 »
As long as a person is willing to give something their all, Im confident that they‘ll be successful.

if you want it bad enough, its yours for the taking.
The true measure of a man is how well he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good

Offline nULL

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2004, 19:57:00 »
That‘s a good frame of mind for academics or junior athletics, but i‘ve always wondered how well the "little train that could" mentality would work in a speciality that is primarily based on one‘s physical strength.

Oh course, i hope i‘m wrong. Are there any paras out there that were once underweight/overweight and living in a basement off of beer and nachos?

(Just an example....i prefer sour candies.)

Offline JasonH

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2004, 20:02:00 »
Originally posted by nULL:
[qb] That‘s a good frame of mind for academics or junior athletics, but i‘ve always wondered how well the "little train that could" mentality would work in a speciality that is primarily based on one‘s physical strength.

Oh course, i hope i‘m wrong. Are there any paras out there that were once underweight/overweight and living in a basement off of beer and nachos?

(Just an example....i prefer sour candies.) [/qb]
I could do anything FAR better physically then I could do in academic‘s.  Btw nice example lmao..
General George S. Patton

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2004, 20:06:00 »
ditto, Im definatly not an academic, and physical tasks are what i excel at. This doesnt mean im ready for para tho, it means I may have it slightly easier than others (thats if the instructors dont clue in to this and work me like a ____)

Personally, I think I can do everything required of me physically if I work at it.

Offline Yeoman

• Rate Post
  • land of misfit toys
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2004, 20:10:00 »
yeah you‘d request for it.
you‘d have to be mod qualified before you can get basic para
I personally live off of beer and nacho‘s, so long as you give your ****dest you‘re fine.
I mean I had shin splints so bad that I couldn‘t walk properly, let alone run. but pro patria and carry on.
2 weeks of pure **** is all worth the one week of awesome fun you can get.
Greg
Be normal and the crowd accepts you, be deranged and they will make you their leader.

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2004, 20:45:00 »
how long is the para course? 2 weeks you say? I think I could hold out for that long, I thought it was more.

Offline Yeoman

• Rate Post
  • land of misfit toys
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2004, 21:22:00 »
it‘s 3 weeks total.
2 weeks of ground training, with a day on the mock tower.
a week of j-stage. if you ever do get on a course, bring a camera. cowboy shots are always fun to take.
well your body takes a HUGE beating on course. the way that mock chute system makes you bend over, the amount of times you‘re legs with smack the padding for landing class, or how your body feels after getting out of the tourture racks, just to do push ups on your brain bucket. you‘d be amazed at what you thought wasn‘t possible for the human body to do.
I remember my hands went into shock after the 53rd push up on my helmet, but I somehow finised the hundred.
Greg

Offline JasonH

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2004, 23:26:00 »
Originally posted by Yeoman:
[qb] it‘s 3 weeks total.
2 weeks of ground training, with a day on the mock tower.
a week of j-stage. if you ever do get on a course, bring a camera. cowboy shots are always fun to take.
well your body takes a HUGE beating on course. the way that mock chute system makes you bend over, the amount of times you‘re legs with smack the padding for landing class, or how your body feels after getting out of the tourture racks, just to do push ups on your brain bucket. you‘d be amazed at what you thought wasn‘t possible for the human body to do.
I remember my hands went into shock after the 53rd push up on my helmet, but I somehow finised the hundred.
Greg [/qb]
That‘s nuts....  :D  I can‘t wait! lol.  Hopefully I can meet the requirements... just gotta do my bloody best.
General George S. Patton

Offline Gumby

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2004, 00:17:00 »
If anyone can tell me, what happens after the para course, if you want to be a paratrooper?  Is there some kind of maroon beret course, or do you ask to get tasked to para coy?  Any help?
Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2004, 02:40:00 »
I appreciate the enthusiasm lads, but maybe concentrate on the first step first...no point worrying about your jump course when you got basic training infront of you.

I say this because the guys on the board who have been around for a while have seen squirts full of talk about all the hardcore stuff, but can‘t complete a simple ruck march.  In the Army, you will succeed if you concentrate on things one step at a time.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline portcullisguy

• Rate Post
  • Border Services Officer
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2004, 06:57:00 »
To wear the maroon beret, QY Rang Cdt, you must be in a Para coy.

In Reserveland, the Queen‘s Own Rifles are the only regt with a jump tasking, and therefore a jump coy.  I heard a rumour that some other regiments were trying to get jump taskings, but that‘s all it was: rumour.

In Regforceland, I believe all three regiments have at least one Para coy.  I don‘t know if it‘s one per battalion, or just one for the whole regt.

I‘ve heard of airborne arty and airborne armoured, but I have no clue if any of "those" types have a jump coy.

However, it is enough of an accomplishment just to do the jump course, in my un-winged opinion.  Although I have never had the desire to prematurely leave the comfort of a perfectly good airplane, attached only to a patch of silk and strings, I have immense respect for any one crazy enough to attempt this.
portcullisguy

non dormiverit gladius meus - dileas gu brath

48 Highrs

Aaron0304

CF Basic Parachutist - Q&A
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2004, 17:11:00 »
When I did my Para course we watched a video about what will happen during the course, does anyone know if its possible to find a copy of that video somewhere.

Also does anyone have any jump videos they would like to share?

D-n-A

Re: Basic Para Video
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2004, 19:11:00 »
dont know, but on a upcoming Truth Duty Valour, there gonna have a show on the Jump Course, close enough to what you want

Offline WB

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Recce and Para courses
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2002, 11:52:00 »
i wont be in the army for a few more months, but right now the two courses i‘m most interested in are Basic Recce and Basic Parachutist‘s courses.

i‘ve been told that this sort of stuff all depends on availability and competition for open spots on the course. is one school easier to get into then the other? what would i have a better chance of getting first?

Offline Sharpie

• Rate Post
  • Black Hatter
    • The WIndsor Regiment
Re: Recce and Para courses
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2002, 12:25:00 »
Go Recce, woohoo!

Sorry, personal oppinion only.
~semper paratus~