Author Topic: CF Basic Parachutist - Q&A  (Read 138024 times)

Offline Deves

• Rate Post
Re: Para Course Training
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2011, 19:08:03 »
Thanks for the reply,

I should be fine,

Booya!

rom those I've spoken with, you will need to be better than the minimum standard. Ask yourself if you're fit enough for 2 PT sessions a day (morning and after work), running everywhere between classes, and also doing 7 chinups everytime you enter or exit the building. If the answer is yes, then you're good to go.
DEVES
Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.

MikeL

« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2011, 19:22:51 »
Not sure where you got those numbers, but the Para PT Test minimums are

•Chin-ups (7)
•Sit-ups (31)
•1 mile / 1600 meters run (7: 30 minutes or less)

Offline Deves

• Rate Post
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2011, 19:27:14 »
If U read above -Skeletor- you are right and I am right as well. I telling what I am currently at for the PT test and I am exceeding the mins. But I wanted to know how competitive my numbers were. Thanks.

DEVES

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2011, 19:32:09 »
If U read above -Skeletor- you are right and I am right as well. I telling what I am currently at for the PT test and I am exceeding the mins. But I wanted to know how competitive my numbers were. Thanks.

Just train smart and don't get injured, or try to carry an injury on the course.  :pushup
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

MikeL

« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2011, 20:00:48 »

Not to be a dick, but you were wrong here
I know the standard for the Pre Para course PT test is
: 7 Chinups
: 33 situps
:and a 1.6km run in 7 min.

I was just clarifying what the standards for the PT test are.

As for being competitive, yea your scores look good.  Once you are at CFLAWC it doesn't matter what your scores are(not a competition), as long as you pass. It only matters when you are doing the test at your unit.  Usually a unit will get X amount of spots and XX amount of troops wanting that spot.  So those who score higher on the PT test will generally tend to be the ones the unit sends on the course. 

Offline Jed

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2011, 21:22:36 »
If things are the same as in '93 you better be capable of  doing 12 clean chin ups and doing the mile in 6:30.  :) You only need to do 25 push ups; the last one will take about 75 attempts.
As the old man used to say: " I used to be a coyote, but I'm alright nooooOOOOWWW!"

Offline 1984

• Rate Post
« Reply #131 on: September 21, 2011, 22:46:28 »
A strong core is good for when you have to adopt the 5th point of flight procedure as a corrective action.  They like to flip you between the push-up position and the 5th point (basically a V-sit with arms up in line with your upper body, toes pointed and chin on chest).  Good luck!!   :)

Offline Deves

• Rate Post
« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2011, 18:28:46 »
Did my Pre para fitness test last Friday, These were my results:

15 Chinups,
73 Situps
and the 1.6 km run in 6min 11 secs.

Not too bad.

DEVES

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2011, 18:39:56 »
Congrats, good luck on your course if you get loaded.

Online Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2011, 19:45:23 »
Indeed, low winds, blue skies and warm, cuddly para instructors. Fat chance on the last.

I can't remember my push ups and chin ups (after all it was in 1968,) but I ran the only mile that was ever timed. I did it in 4:47.

Offline Jed

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2011, 09:44:33 »
Jeez Old Sweat, that's a quick mile! I don't think I could have done that even if someone was shooting at me.  ;D
As the old man used to say: " I used to be a coyote, but I'm alright nooooOOOOWWW!"

Offline Canadian.Trucker

• Roadrunner Actual
  • Rate Post
    • G&SF Website
« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2011, 16:25:34 »
Bump.
I'm looking to get on a B-para in the winter (ya, I know, it will only be soft fluffy snow I land in I'm sure).  I've heard rumours that the CF has switched from using the CT1 parachute that drops at about 24fps to something else as the standard static line chute that drops at about 17fps.  Anyone know about this at all?
Tenacious and Versatile-G & SF

"Nevermind, I'll do it myself" - Me

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
- George Orwell

Offline Pte Cherry

• Rate Post
« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2011, 13:00:47 »
There is new chutes, not very many, they generally go to the instructors or big guys. I don't know the exact fall rate, mine is a lot slower then everybody else as I'm (160Lb) but its still way too quick for my liking.
Feet and knees together and you'll be ok

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2011, 15:03:40 »
They are looking into a new chute system to be delivered sometime 2014. I've heard a rumour from someone who recently completed BPara that they are just having everyone jump with square canopy right off the bat, to try to prevent injuries while on course and giving everyone that qual as well. Is there someone here from CFLAWC that can verify whether that is true or not?

Offline Pte Cherry

• Rate Post
« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2011, 16:58:28 »
I thought having 15 regular jumps was a pre req for doing square canopy?

Offline faivious

• Rate Post
Basic Para Inquiry
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2015, 12:43:55 »
Hi I've read several threads on the basic para courses, but are all from 4-7 years ago.
And I wanted to know the 'Non-Physical' requirements of eligibility to apply.
I realize I'm way ahead of my game to even be asking this question, but I'm just curious because I've always had a keen interest in parachuting in general.

1. How likely is it for a PRes ACISS (32 Sig Reg - Toronto) to be coursed for the Basic Para? Is it even offered at all?
2. Do you need to be a FULLY trained member? Certain amount of years in the forces to apply?

This last question may be a repeated question, but the answers may or may not be outdated..

I recognize that this course is pretty darn competitive to get into, with only a handful of applicants being selected nationally, but how competitive are my numbers to get into the course with?

Minimum
7 Chin-ups - Consecutive
31 Sit-ups - Consecutive
1-mile run - 7min 30s or less
600m indoor shuttle run - 2min 30s or less (haven't tested myself on this yet)

My PB
12 Chin-ups consec
68 Sit-ups  consec
6min 37sec 1-mil run

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
Re: Basic Para Inquiry
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2015, 12:47:31 »
You meet the fitness standard (the indoor run is in lieu of a 1 mile run).  You are unlikely to get the course as a PRes ACISS, but it never hurts to ask.  Regular force signalers routinely get spots on every serial as they may be posted to a Light Battalion and may be put in a jump position.  Divisions will sometimes give spots on BPara serials to Reserve Brigades.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline toughenough

• Rate Post
    • Argylls.ca
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2015, 13:08:04 »
Being based in Toronto, your odds (while still not great), are probably higher than members based elsewhere in the country. The Queens Own has a basic para every year, and spots do become available. The number of spots, and where they are allocated, and how you merit is still a giant crap shoot, but it's not totally impossible (and yet still a long shot).

Offline faivious

• Rate Post
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2015, 13:21:25 »
Well..
Beers on me if I get coursed in the future?  :cheers:

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -3925.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #144 on: June 21, 2015, 02:35:41 »
Join the Cadets, you'll have a better chance. ;)
Diversity includes adverse opinions, or it is not diversity.
Inclusive includes adverse opinions, or is not inclusive.

Offline JackMerridrew

• Rate Post
« Reply #145 on: December 14, 2017, 23:59:38 »
I don't have access to my DWAN currently, can someone provide course dates for Basic Para this summer(FY2018)? If there is a serial that begins in August could you provide the course code too? Thanks so much.

Offline Redhead8989

• Rate Post
Re: CF Basic Parachutist - Q&A
« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2018, 17:18:04 »
I am looking for a link to when the courses are running also. I checked CAAWC website and couldn't find anything. Any information would help. DWAN or internet access works.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: CF Basic Parachutist - Q&A
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2018, 17:57:33 »
I am looking for a link to when the courses are running also. I checked CAAWC website and couldn't find anything. Any information would help. DWAN or internet access works.

Army National Course Calendar off the CTC Gagetown DWAN site will have all of those courses. You're also going to be hard pressed to get a slot on BPara while working at 12 Wing Shearwater, even if you're Army DEU. The slots are highly competitive and assigned per Division (you can see these numbers when you click on the specific serial on the Calendar).