Author Topic: SAR Tech  (Read 470432 times)

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
Re: SAR Techs
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2004, 17:25:48 »
As a general rule, pers who undergo selection programs like SAR and JTF are requested to not discuss the testing they underwent.

To discuss it in this forum would be considered inappropriate.
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline SierraAir

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2004, 19:02:40 »
understood....

Sorry I asked.

CivU

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2004, 21:51:36 »
"As a general rule, pers who undergo selection programs like SAR and JTF are requested to not discuss the testing they underwent"

I understand how this would apply to JTF2, due to the clandestine nature of their operations and the need to maintain the highest possible levels of security...

However, I know many personnel in the SAR Tech world, including those in the operations of their training institution, and I do not think that informing hopeful and potential candidates of what is involved in the training would be discouraged; quite the opposite, it would be encouraged.  SAR may be like JTF2 in that it is elite, but it is not like JTF2 in that it needs to maintain a veil of secrecy...Their operations are publicly reported in local newspapers, they advertise at school and public events, they even do demonstrations.  As far as the training goes, pre-selection and the 10 month SAR Tech phase do not involve anything regarding a hush hush mentality, much of the course is actually done in collaboration with civilian elements. 

Offline schwick

• Rate Post
SAR TECH info needed
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2005, 10:35:07 »
hey everyone
hoping to join in the ranks of Sar Tech
im aware this is a very hard course but it is a goal and i feal an attainable one
looking for suggestions for  fitness regime to prepare
as well as further info about the course itself how its run
and how you join up into the trade
can u come from reserves to a reg force sar tech?
thanks in advance
pslam 27 v 1-5

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
Re: SAR TECH info needed
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2005, 10:41:15 »
Check the Trades FAQ under Recruiting, there are two SAR Tech links:

http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,17703.0.html

You can also review the Recruiting FAQ for existing thrwads on Fitness and Component Transfer (from Res to Reg):

http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,21101.0.html

Once you have reviewed the relevant threads, please feel free to add any new specific questions that haven't been addressed to the related topics.

Thank you, and welcome to Army.ca.

Offline schwick

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2005, 14:49:38 »
i have went over these posts before and have been on this site for about 4 months even though i got a password yesterday or so
im still however not fully aware if a reservist can get into SAR TECH without already being reg force
i understand you need to be in for 4 years and be corporal but does reserves count? Can i component transfer into reg force as a sar tech?
thanks alot

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2005, 15:06:02 »
In accordance with CFAO 11-12 OCCUPATION TRANSFER OF NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS REGULAR FORCE, MCO 1312 Searchg and Rescue Technician is open for transfers from any MOC. The noted special requirements include:

a.    Aplicants must have attained the rank of Corporal, and

b.    Medical procedures described at para 3 of the referenced annex apply.

CFAO 11-12 - http://www.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/011-12_e.asp

SAR Tech a Reg F only trade, so you will have to achieve the rank of Corporal within the Reg F before being eligible to apply under this program. Your Reserve service will be assessed as part of the Verification of Former Service during your Component Transfer, and that will determine any eligible time towards promotion within the Reg F. You will not be able to simultaneously CT and apply for SAR under the assumption that four years total service and the achievement of the rank of Corporal in the Reserves will meet the requirements of the CFAO.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 15:21:55 by Michael OLeary »

Offline mandal

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2005, 15:14:24 »
Sorry to bing this topic back from the dead a third time, but I gotta start thinking about what I want to do with my life( ::) *sigh* if only i could stay young forever). SARTech sounds like the kinda thing I'd love doing. My questions is, what would be the best way to end up achieving this goal? What I mean to say is, starting from when I graduate from highschool, what should I do to end up as a SARTech?
Mandal

aesop081

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2005, 15:20:10 »
well, the first thing i would do is join the military in a trade you will like ( because you may never get the chance to remuster).  Then apply yourself and be the best (insert trade) that you can be and get your corporals.  This is important as it will make your file look better. Make sure that you are in gret physical shape and mabe also upgrade your deucation while you are waiting.  This is also important because , as a SAR tech student, you will be assaulted with enormous amounts of academics and you want to make sure that you will be able to absorb it all in short order.  That will also make your file look better for the selection board.

Offline mandal

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2005, 15:24:38 »
Acedemics? Like what?
Mandal

aesop081

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2005, 15:28:30 »
Acedemics? Like what?

Like medical, phisiology, aeromedical training.........its not all glory and jumping out of planes you know !! We had a SAR tech course come here for AMT and they stayed on my floor in the shacks and they were burried in books at night and those books had nothing to do with the AMT course they were on.

Offline mandal

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2005, 15:29:58 »
cool......
Mandal

Offline kj_gully

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2005, 17:35:45 »
whew! Painful slogging through the reams of crap, misinformation, hero worship, and supposition. Listen, If you are serious about being a SARtech, first  join the military. Whatever trade appeals to you. Next, do really good in that trade. Take every course that's offered, ask for courses you know you will never get, and top a few of them. 3rd: Go overseas. If you can't get overseas on tour in whatever element you're in, do something to get some life experience and maturity, like get married, have kids, get divorced, go bankrupt and bounce back. LASTLY make sure you are in top notch shape. If you really have to worry about more than "tuning up" your fitness for sartech selection, then you probably haven't done any of the previous anyway, and you are destined to whatif for your whole career. We need people. Lots of motivated fit people. We have selected a female in the past, and there are more applying this year. If you think you are ready for this, message me, and I will be happy to give you the info you need, or will know who to talk to and get it for you. If you aren't even part way thru the list I've laid out, don't waste my time, or yours. Get to work, I'm waiting.

Offline kj_gully

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2005, 17:41:31 »
Oh, yeah, as of this year, Reseves can apply for selection. Once again, before you jump, read my last post. work your way through the list then apply.

aesop081

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2005, 14:42:05 »
Oh, yeah, as of this year, Reseves can apply for selection. Once again, before you jump, read my last post. work your way through the list then apply.

There you go...straight from the horse's mouth !

Gully.....SAR better than your previous MOCs ?

Offline kj_gully

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2005, 16:10:57 »

Gully.....SAR better than your previous MOCs ?
lol, I'm home on a teusday, nuff said!

Offline nelson007

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2005, 17:28:30 »
Application to MOC 131 SAR Tech is done through the Continuing Occupational Transfer Program(COTP).  The prerequisite is 48 months service in a Regular Force trade and you must hold the minimum rank of Cpl.  If you are a higher rank and are selected for your QL5A, you lose your rank until you complete your first year when you are automatically promoted to MCpl.
(...)

I hope this Question makes sense.
What is the difference between  QL5 and  QL5A?

aesop081

« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2005, 19:33:43 »
The terms are pretty much used interchangebly by most but QL5 is divided in 2

QL5A is the trade realted course
QL5B is the junior leadership course ( PLQ)

Offline Manimal

• Rate Post
    • help others
SAR Tech
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2005, 14:30:29 »
what are the requirements for the SAR training? mini rank? time? etc.
any SAR techs here?
Qui me amat, amet et canem meum

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
Re: SAR
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2005, 14:36:30 »
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline PPCLI WO

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2005, 16:02:44 »
A change from previous years is that members of the Primary Reserve can attend pre-selection as well.

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2005, 16:13:27 »
Scuttlebutt in the SAR shop is that the MOC will be opening to direct entry applicants.  This, IMHO, is a big mistake.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Zombie

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2005, 16:47:43 »
Scuttlebutt in the SAR shop is that the MOC will be opening to direct entry applicants.   This, IMHO, is a big mistake.

Application for remuster could then take place before being in the CF for 4 years? Any indication as to when this is supposed to come into effect?

Offline kj_gully

• Rate Post
Re: SAR Tech
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2005, 10:53:09 »
Relax, and do your time, Zombie! Lol. There is a trial tba, with certain well qualified pers (ie paramedic) off the street will be invited to selection, and possibly 2 would be selected in addition to the remusters. Your chances are better if you join, and it is still just a concept. i wouldn't steer you wrong!

Gully

Offline kj_gully

• Rate Post
Re: SAR Tech
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2005, 10:55:58 »
to: gurus who maintain site

Please combine this with the SARTech thread in the Airforce forum. I think that will assist in reducing duplication.

Manimal, please see my posts in the Airforce Sartech thread.

Gully