Author Topic: DUI - Effects on Joining?  (Read 15268 times)

IanLookingForInfo

DUI - Effects on Joining?
« on: June 25, 2001, 10:46:00 »
I am new to the whole thing, have not even joined basic trainning yet, but need to know about things first. I was recently charged with a DUI(driving under the influence) . This was the worst thing that could happen cause now I have to wait another 6 months to join, so I was told. That is not my major problem. I have been looking into the JTF for some time now and really want to get into it. Now I know that you can't join if you have files for bankrupcy so what I want to know is a DUI charge going to eliminate my chances of getting in or not. Thank you in advance for any info.   :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 01:21:36 by McG »

renegade68

Re: Messed and need to know
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2001, 18:30:00 »
As far as your DUI goes, If after keeping your nose clean for a few years you will be able to apply for a pardon. I am not sure how long you will have to wait but I would presume your legal counsel would know. Unless things have changed you can not just join JTF2 . You will have to serve in a unit and apply.

sbaker1

criminal record(DUI) question.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 15:03:00 »
I am going to be dropping off my application for the infantry and I was wondering if the fact that I have a criminal record will keep me from being accepted. I was charged with a DUI and driving while suspended.  It was about two years ago and I‘ve been to jail and served my time.  It is a thing of the past and I don‘t want it to get in the way of my career choices.  so will it ?

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
Re: criminal record(DUI) question.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 15:18:00 »
In a word, yes. Any kind of criminal history, especially one for which you went to prison would be a serious detrement to you joining the forces.
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Offline canadiankid74

• Rate Post
Re: DUI - Effects on Joining?
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 18:17:41 »
hey guys im new to this site..  was poking around but couldnt find exactly what i was looking for...  my question is,  can you join if you declare bankrupcy? i mean i have done well for a while but the housing market kinda sunk and i declared bankrupcy on my business..  mind you a small business,  and the only thing i xdeclared bank rupcy on was my truck..  so how bad is this????

Offline skyd1vr

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 18:37:44 »
i was charged and convicted of impaired driving in 1983 while a private in the infantry. I informed my CoC, got a royal a$$ chewing, did every extra duty in the unit for about 6 months.

About 2 yrs after, i held a top secret security clearance. I left the forces, came back from civvy street, not the supp list, with the conviction still on my record. I currently hold a secret security clearance. The only issue i ever have with it is getting extra prints done when i get my security clearance updated. I should get a pardon, i just haven't.

Recruiting group requires that you have not outstanding legal obligations, ie, unresolved legal issues. They will decide, based on the the convictions, if you are good to go or not.

As far as bankruptcy goes, I think you have to be discharged as it is an outstanding legal obligation. I'm not certain though.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 18:58:08 »
As far as bankruptcy goes, I think you have to be discharged as it is an outstanding legal obligation. I'm not certain though.

I'm not certain about DUI, but here is a poster:

Offline ONT

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 19:05:13 »
A buddy of mine had a DUI before joining the reserves and was accepted, although I'm sure every situation is looked at differently

Offline MKO

• Rate Post
    • Canadian Forces Recruiting
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 20:01:30 »
For all:

Every case is considered on it's merits.  The fact that you have been convicted of a misdemeanour or crime does not automatically bar you from joining the CF.  The type of crime(s), the punishment and other obligations ordered by the court as well as conduct during parole, letters of recommendation, time since occurrence(s) etc weigh into the considerations as to whether or not you are suitable for enrolment.

Be realistic with yourself however - serious/violent/recent crimes will argue against your acceptance by an organisation that stresses disicipline/orderly application of force under direction/trustworthiness in the near future or even at all in some cases.

That being said, the only sure way to know if you are going to be considered for enrolment is to go and make application, be honest about your history (the reliability check will show up any issues in any event, so be up front about it) bring along reference letters etc to show that you have learned from your mistake and then see what happens.

MKO
Join us/Engagez-vous

Offline haganator91

• Rate Post
No insurance fines/DUI
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 17:37:48 »
Hi everyone. About 2 years ago I was pulled over and had no insurance and blew over. I have paid off the fines and stuff for the DUI, but have not paid the no insurance fine. I dont think no insurance is a criminal offense so would this keep me from trying to apply? Ive read that you must be free of court obligations and i have no probabtion or anything like that, and have paid the criminal DUI fine. My license i have not got back. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: No insurance fines/DUI
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 17:52:31 »
but have not paid the no insurance fine.

See,

Applying & worried about a traffic or speeding ticket? (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=35022.75
5 pages.
Unpaid fines are discussed here.

have paid the criminal DUI fine.

Licence suspensions and unpaid fines as a result of a DUI are discussed here,

Joining Canadian Forces with Pending DUI 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=98610.0
3 pages.

Unpaid fines are also discussed here,

Security Check/Level Superthread [MERGED]
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=1399.0

DUI convictions are discussed here,

Criminal Records Check - CRC (Merged)
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=12896.200

My license i have not got back.

Licence required, or not required,
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+licence+required&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+licence+required&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0.0.94398.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.Qw9Z8gAIFPo

There are other discussions regarding applicants with DUI's, licence suspensions, and unpaid fines.

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of up to date information.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 18:15:41 by mariomike »

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: No insurance fines/DUI
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 19:28:57 »
Hi everyone. About 2 years ago I was pulled over and had no insurance and blew over. I have paid off the fines and stuff for the DUI, but have not paid the no insurance fine. I dont think no insurance is a criminal offense so would this keep me from trying to apply? Ive read that you must be free of court obligations and i have no probabtion or anything like that, and have paid the criminal DUI fine. My license i have not got back. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

What province are you in? That's going to change how its viewed. A quick Google:

http://pointts.com/traffic-ticket-questions/
What happens if I ignore my ticket?

If no response to the ticket has been received by the court indicated on the reverse of the offence notice within 15 days after it was served on the person charged, the person is deemed not to dispute the charge. If the ticket is complete and proper on its face, then a justice of the peace shall enter a conviction in the defendant’s absence and impose the set fine for the offence.

What if I need more time to pay my fine?

A request may be made to a justice of the peace at the convicting court for an extension of time to pay the fine. This is usually granted if they can be provided proof, such as receipts from the court that some effort has been made to pay the fine in installments. If none of the fine has been paid then it will be unlikely any extension will be granted.

What happens if I don’t pay my traffic ticket fine?

If a fine is not paid within the time period provided by the court, additional costs are imposed and the amount may be forwarded to a collection agency or a request may be made by the court to the Ministry of Transportation to have your licence suspended.

If, after a licence is suspended the fine is paid, an additional $150 is payable to the Ministry of Transportation to reinstate the licence.

If your fine is in collections, the CAF is going to want you to have a payment plan when they do the background and credit check. So its not necessarily that's its a criminal conviction or not, its that you have a large, outstanding fine in collections that you've decided to ignore. You screwed up, pay the fine if able and move on with your life. If you can't, be prepared to be told you cannot join until you sort it out.

Credit check info here: https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,13319.425.html

Offline haganator91

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 12:20:53 »
Im in Ontario. Having a record has screwed me out of many good job opportunities.  My license is suspended until i can pay the fines. I  have no money to pay fines. I just want a clean slate in life. Thanks for the help guys i appreciate it
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:25:08 by haganator91 »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 12:46:46 »
Thanks for the help guys i appreciate it

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)