Author Topic: Air Combat Systems Officer ( ACSO )  (Read 94498 times)

Online Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Air Combat Systems Officer ( ACSO )
« Reply #175 on: December 14, 2017, 12:45:15 »
Can't take a joke?

Several years ago, before "snowflake" took on its latest additional meaning, I referred to SAR helicopters as "gaudy yellow" in a work e-mail.

Three months later, a CO-to-CO e-mail was forwarded to me down the Squadron chain-of-command. The butthurtedness was hilarious.

For my Dead Guy Photo for my second tour in Kandahar, I wore a "Loachman" nametag, and my rank slip-on had my first name on it instead of the unit title. While home on leave, this photo (from my neck down) was apparently put up during Comd TFK's CUB one day. I was accused of such things as "desecrating a CF slip-on" and "not treating the war seriously" (I did, but not the prospect of my death; if it did happen, however, I wanted friends and family to at least get a chortle or two out of it) and ordered to get a new photo taken  as soon as I got back. Our A3, however, thought that both photo and fuss were excruciatingly funny.

So, no, not everybody.

By the ring around his eyeball,
You can tell a bombardier.
You can tell a bomber pilot
By the spread around his rear.
You can tell a navigator
By his sextants, maps and such.
You can tell a fighter pilot
BUT YOU CAN'T TELL HIM MUCH!

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #176 on: December 14, 2017, 18:54:53 »
Several years ago, before "snowflake" took on its latest additional meaning, I referred to SAR helicopters as "gaudy yellow" in a work e-mail.

Three months later, a CO-to-CO e-mail was forwarded to me down the Squadron chain-of-command. The butthurtedness was hilarious.

For my Dead Guy Photo for my second tour in Kandahar, I wore a "Loachman" nametag, and my rank slip-on had my first name on it instead of the unit title. While home on leave, this photo (from my neck down) was apparently put up during Comd TFK's CUB one day. I was accused of such things as "desecrating a CF slip-on" and "not treating the war seriously" (I did, but not the prospect of my death; if it did happen, however, I wanted friends and family to at least get a chortle or two out of it) and ordered to get a new photo taken  as soon as I got back. Our A3, however, thought that both photo and fuss were excruciatingly funny.

So, no, not everybody.

By the ring around his eyeball,
You can tell a bombardier.
You can tell a bomber pilot
By the spread around his rear.
You can tell a navigator
By his sextants, maps and such.
You can tell a fighter pilot
BUT YOU CAN'T TELL HIM MUCH!

Hell, one of our guy's DGPs was him (a larger fellow) brandishing a plastic fork and knife in a karate stance.  I'm sure it wasn't the official one, but knowing him, he probably *really* tried to make it so.

Anyways, back to ACSOs - we sometimes do things. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 18:59:28 by Dimsum »
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline BurmaShave

• Rate Post
  • Hates lines.
« Reply #177 on: December 14, 2017, 22:07:26 »
Man, fighters is an instant thread derail button  ::)

For ACSOs, aren't they also backseaters in the Alpha Jet at 414?
On curves ahead/Remember, sonny/That rabbit's foot/Didn't save/The bunny/Burma Shave

Online SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #178 on: December 15, 2017, 00:42:09 »
Yes.

Online Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #179 on: December 15, 2017, 12:05:12 »
How many fighter pilots does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #180 on: December 15, 2017, 12:41:39 »
Don't they have Aero-techs to do that ???

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #181 on: December 15, 2017, 13:50:01 »
How many fighter pilots does it take to screw in a light bulb?

According to them they don't actually screw it in, they just hold the bulb and the world revolves around them.

(Surgeons claim to have the same ability.)
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Overboard

• Rate Post
« Reply #182 on: March 05, 2018, 22:12:43 »
Hi all,

A few questions.

1. How many months per year are ACSOs deployed for MH and LRP?
2. How many years does it take to become a Major for those who want to and are competitive?
3. How many years does a Captain spend on their airframe before being sent to a desk job.
4. Is it possible for an ACSO to get dive or parachute training?

Edit: Also do those on MH have secondary duties like the ship's crew?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 22:28:09 by Overboard »
Recruiting Center: CFRC Vacouver
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer
Trade choice 1: ACSO
Trade choice 2: NWO
Application date: Jan 5th, 2018
First contact: Jan 9th, 2018
CFAT: February 6, 2018 (Pass)
MOST: March 1, 2018 (Pass)
ACS:
Interview:
Medical:
Med Approved:
Back-check:
Competition list:
Position offered:

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #183 on: March 05, 2018, 22:16:51 »
Hi all,

A few questions.

2. How many years does it take to become a Major for those who want to and are competitive?
3. How many years does a Captain spend on their airframe before being sent to a desk job.

Thank you!

ACSOs parachuting is generally a sign that things have gone terribly, terribly wrong.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Online SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #184 on: March 05, 2018, 23:06:28 »
Hi all,

A few questions.

Edit: Also do those on MH have secondary duties like the ship's crew?

Thank you!

1. It varies wildly based on luck of the draw. Anywhere from 0 days to 9 months.
2. Depends on entry scheme, how hard you work and what operational/staff experience you get. As a very minimum, it is 4 years as a Captain and about 4-6 years getting to Captain. So anywhere from 10 years all they way up to never...
3. There is no hard rule, but generally two flying tours are followed by a staff tour. So, 6-8 years flying followed by 3-4 years on a desk.
4. Yes, but it depends on vacancies on thoses courses and you are nowhere near their target audience.
MH duties on ship- at sea, you are busy enough with your primary job of flying and keeping the operations of the air department going that you have little time for anything else but food, sleep and a bit of PT. Alongside foreign port, you will stand as Duty Air Officer once every 5 days. In your home port, you have little enough to do with the ships as you are busy at your Sqn.