Author Topic: Appeal of Enrollment Medical [Merged]  (Read 126465 times)

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Re: Appeal of Enrollment Medical [Merged]
« Reply #175 on: February 12, 2019, 19:39:13 »
Has anyone ever successfully appealed being deemed medically unfit to join the Canadian Forces? I am extremely healthy/fit and have no idea why they made this decision...It seems like they made a mistake.  I won't know the reason why until I get a letter in 3-4 months (what a joke)

What, exactly, is the joke? That you’re not at the top of their priority list in terms of receiving further correspondence while they continue to review hundreds of application processes? Or that you don’t know why you were rejected? Or both?

I understand your frustration and confusion, but if you are successful in your appeal (and if you honestly have absolutely zero inkling as to why you were found medically unfit, then I’d encourage you to appeal) you need to be aware that very, very little occurs quickly in the Forces. As well, calling anything related to the CAF “a joke” before you’re even in is disrespectful and arrogant.

"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline nhall22

• Rate Post
« Reply #176 on: February 12, 2019, 19:53:34 »
The "joke" is that they can email me instead of sending a letter months down the road.  Let's communicate a little more efficiently you know?

Online PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #177 on: February 12, 2019, 20:04:35 »
The "joke" is that they can email me instead of sending a letter months down the road.  Let's communicate a little more efficiently you know?

Medical info is considered confidential and not send via email.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline nhall22

• Rate Post
« Reply #178 on: February 12, 2019, 20:12:12 »
Ah ok that makes a little more sense.  Guess I'll hurry up and wait lol.

Offline CTD

• Rate Post
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2019, 04:53:22 »
Having to wait three or four months, especially if the person does not know the exact reason for the deferral is not what I would call good service. If he is wanting to Appeal this finding if it is allowed then he needs those records sooner then later. Everything he has done is considered time sensitive.
I would be frustrated and a bit let down. especially since they have no answer at the center and are saying to appeal it with no further info.
One avenue you have is to put in a Freedom Of Information Act Request about your information. Be specific with dates and times and name/ positions of those involved.  They have to respond within 30day and  you usually have your information shortly after that time limit.
Be aware some of the geniuses think this is a bad thing to do, it might offend one of those people who feel offended about every and anything if the ball doesnt fall straight in the basket.
Another thing is it might tie up your official records longer to get to you because now they have to gain access and then copy them for you.

it is another avenue to take and you might get your information quicker,

Offline JesseWZ

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2019, 10:33:06 »
Having to wait three or four months, especially if the person does not know the exact reason for the deferral is not what I would call good service. If he is wanting to Appeal this finding if it is allowed then he needs those records sooner then later. Everything he has done is considered time sensitive.
I would be frustrated and a bit let down. especially since they have no answer at the center and are saying to appeal it with no further info.
One avenue you have is to put in a Freedom Of Information Act Request about your information. Be specific with dates and times and name/ positions of those involved.  They have to respond within 30day and  you usually have your information shortly after that time limit.
Be aware some of the geniuses think this is a bad thing to do, it might offend one of those people who feel offended about every and anything if the ball doesnt fall straight in the basket.
Another thing is it might tie up your official records longer to get to you because now they have to gain access and then copy them for you.

Before I begin, I'd like to point out I am both a frequent user of the ATI and Privacy (ATIP) Process in the course of investigations, and have had myself and my work the subject of numerous ATI requests, so I'm somewhat familiar with the process.

Freedom of Information Access to Information does not include ones own personal medical records. The applicant would need to file a request pursuant to the Privacy Act. Luckily, the process is nearly identical, except you don't have to pay a fee when it concerns the Privacy Act (as those records apply only to the party requesting them). For example, I cannot request your service records under the Privacy Act as a lay person.

This is where you can make a request pursuant to the Privacy Act. If it's an open or ongoing issue, I doubt you will receive anything until the issue is resolved (ie you are processed, rejected, or your appeal(s) are concluded). The ideal timeline is 30 days, however there are too many factors to count as to why that often isn't so. I would not throw all my chickens in the basket of getting your information within 30 days.

Lastly, I don't want to give the impression I'm encouraging or discouraging you from submitting an ATIP request. I don't work in recruiting, but I imagine their operational tempo is high. I don't think anyone is unprofessional enough to want to cause your application harm further down the road because you ATIP'd yourself, but I've been surprised by ATIP findings plenty in recent days.

As a note of personal advice to the OP, if you have a medical issue significant enough to warrant your application being rejected, and you really truly don't know about it, I would strongly consider booking an appointment with your doctor.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:22:25 by JesseWZ »
I will be seen and not heard... I will be seen and not heard... I will be seen and not heard...

Online CanadianTire

• Rate Post
« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2019, 12:08:47 »
When I was applying I was medically rejected and appealed it successfully. Long story short, the CF decided I still had a medical condition I suffered from as a child even though I did not. The process of appealing it was long and drawn out and if you don't give the CF everything the ask for it further draws out the process and can still result in a rejection.
"Theirs not to reason why/Theirs but to do and die." - Tennyson

Offline LunchMeat

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #182 on: February 13, 2019, 12:19:13 »
Ah ok that makes a little more sense.  Guess I'll hurry up and wait lol.

It won't take 3-4 months to receive the letter that states you are medically unfit for service.

The day they make the ruling, the letter goes into the mail.

You'll get in about 2-3 weeks.
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Online garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #183 on: February 13, 2019, 15:04:47 »
It won't take 3-4 months to receive the letter that states you are medically unfit for service.

The day they make the ruling, the letter goes into the mail.

You'll get in about 2-3 weeks.
And this is based on what exactly? Your extensive experience working in that office?

Even IF this is based on personal experience, where you actually received a similar letter, does not mean that will be the OP's experience. You have zero intimate knowledge of his case, don't go around giving false hopes when he has been given a specific timeline by someone who has actual knowledge of what they had been told to pass on...