Author Topic: Soldier Qualification Course (Questions & Answers)  (Read 373002 times)

Ender57

Re: Soldier Qualification
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2004, 01:09:24 »
You could end up in Borden or Wainwright. They are the two places that I know that they hold SQ. It can also depend on what trade you're wanting because they'll hold your SQ in different places depending on what trade you are and also what spaces are open in SQ courses.

Offline Coyote43D

• Rate Post
  • Military - Reg Force
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2004, 10:00:08 »
They also do the SQ here in Gagetown.

Offline pipstah

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2004, 08:57:25 »
Same thing in Val-Cartier....
Fangs of death
RESCUE!

Offline Craig M

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2004, 12:30:40 »
For your SQ training is there any chance a person can request a particular location?
Quod me alit necat

belkin81

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2004, 14:05:16 »
For your SQ training is there any chance a person can request a particular location?

of course not LOL. Its going to be where you will do your ql3 usually, If your infantry PPCLI, then its wainwright, Vandoos then its val cartier.

Offline Still In Sarajevo

• Rate Post
  • VVV
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2004, 12:45:12 »
I know with us (Sig Ops) here at JSR Kingston, we had a bunch of new privates come in off of their 3's that had to do it. We put almost 100 of them through the trg. We sent them all to Petawawa (with our own staff) and I heard that it went very well.

My understanding of the SQ crse is that you only have to do the trg if you did not have an LTT \ LET portion of your 3's. This is basic soldiering skills, it's not as light as Basic and not as heavy as battle school.
It takes the reasonable man to understand that he must adapt himself to the world around him. It takes the unreasonable man to try and change the world so it adapts to him. That is why our world's progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Offline Greywolf

• Rate Post
Re: SQ
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2004, 19:56:06 »
I've read the info on SQ in the FAQ section.  But I'd like more details...preferably from somebody who's recently finished the SQ course.  I've heard some people say 70% of the people fail it and that it's 10 times harder than BMQ.  I just want to know if that's true...
Antes la muerte que la deshonra

Ender57

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2004, 11:58:32 »
All an SQ course is a course where you are trained in the basic skills needed to be in the army. How to use a variety of weapons, gernades and other things. There is definately a lot of PT and ruck marches, but it can vary on who is in charge of your SQ course. It can be taught by anyone of any trade in the army. There's not much else to it.

humint

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2004, 12:04:26 »
Don't worry about it -- it's not as if you have a choice NOT to do it! The field portion is the bit you wanna watch out for.

My advice:

1. Get fit
2. Get fit
3. Get good insoles for your boots

and ... oh yeah, 4. Get fit

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2004, 13:46:31 »
Greywolf: Even advanced courses like Basic Para don't typically have a failure rate of 70%, so whoever told you that is full of $hit. It's harder than BMQ, but it's designed to that people of all trades have a reasonably good chance of passing it. Without counting voluntary or medical RTUs, it wouldn't surprise me to see most SQ courses with a pass rate in the high 90th percentile or even at a hundred percent.
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Yard Ape

Re: Soldier Qualification (SQ) Course Details
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2004, 02:32:18 »
I've heard that the Driver Wheeled Crourse (PO 113) is no longer part of the regular force SQ.  Is this true?

Offline ATT58

• Rate Post
  • Air Defence Gunner
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2004, 08:50:51 »
The driver wheeled course is no longer used.  Each vehicle has it's own course, and it done on a need to have bassis.  If a member already has a driver course for a vehicle, the other vehicle courses can be shortened, it becomes a conversion course.
We just finished a dvr course for the reservists and all they learned was LSVW, now any other vehicle they learn will be a conversion course.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2004, 09:04:21 »
I find it hard to believe that any vehicle being taught after taking a LSVW Dvr Crse will be simply a Conversion Crse.  Learning to drive a LSVW, does not in anyway resemble or come close to driving a HLVW, TLAV, LAV III, MLVW, Bison, Coyote, or any other vehicle in the CF inventory.

GW
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline TR

• Rate Post
  • Crewman/Recruiter
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2004, 09:32:17 »
In the reserve world no smp vehicle driving is taught until you take a trade specific course. IE DP1 and only in the armoured trades as far I'm aware. :threat:

Offline ATT58

• Rate Post
  • Air Defence Gunner
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2004, 10:49:16 »
George, you're absolutly right about the differences in driving vehicles.  The big reason that I see for this way of thinking is the amount of people on PAT platoons, to at least qualify them on something. The reservists that were taught on this course still had their cornflakes and after they went on their trade course.

Yard Ape

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2004, 20:01:04 »
It is not a new practive to conduct courses for just one vehicle in the reserves, but I have never seen this done in the regular force (where I still see driver wheel courses being run).  However, I ask again: Has the drive SMP portion been removed from the SQ course?

Offline ATT58

• Rate Post
  • Air Defence Gunner
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2004, 11:35:18 »
The way I understand the new directives is that the actual LFC DVR WHEELED course is no longer a recognized course, it is no more.  New recruits get an introduction to a vehicle, either LSVW or ILTIS (until they're gone) to give them a basic vehicle and then send them off to their units, and it's the unit responsibility to train them on the vehicles that are required.  This is for reg and res.  All other driver instruction can be done in a shorter format because the member has already completed the written tests and should know the rules of the road, the staff can therefore concentrate on teaching the vehicle in question.  I hope that answers a few questions.

Yard Ape

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2004, 23:57:54 »
So, your saying drive SMP is still part of the SQ?

Offline ATT58

• Rate Post
  • Air Defence Gunner
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2004, 14:48:01 »
Yes but in a cut up fast and furious way.  Go Army. :salute:

Offline Hylander_ca

• FREEDOMS... It is the Soldier, not the Reporter, who gave us the Freedom of the Press.
  • Rate Post
  • Soldier
Re: Soldier Qualification Course (Questions & Answers)
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2004, 00:30:18 »
Hey all I'm a trucker (MSE Op 935) with 1 SVC BN. I'll go talk to MSE Safety to verify the info on the dvr portion of the SQ crse. Give me a couple of days (Bn's last week before block lve)

Cheers :mg:
It is the SOLDIER, not the Poet, who gave us Freedom of Speech.
It is the SOLDIER, not the Lawyer, who gave us the the Right to a Free Trial.
It is the SOLDIER, who salutes The Flag who Serves Under the Flag and Whose Coffin is Draped by The Flag.
Who Allows the Protester to burn the Flag.

Offline Hylander_ca

• FREEDOMS... It is the Soldier, not the Reporter, who gave us the Freedom of the Press.
  • Rate Post
  • Soldier
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2004, 11:47:32 »
Straight from MSE Safety, dvr wheeled crses are NOT part of any SQ crse. Respective units train their own pers with Iltis, LSVW and MLVW. There are exceptions to every rule....I was also info'ed that if some pers are in holding pattern on PAT Pl they may receive certain veh according to job requirement.
Have a good one   :mg:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 16:08:38 by Hylander_ca »
It is the SOLDIER, not the Poet, who gave us Freedom of Speech.
It is the SOLDIER, not the Lawyer, who gave us the the Right to a Free Trial.
It is the SOLDIER, who salutes The Flag who Serves Under the Flag and Whose Coffin is Draped by The Flag.
Who Allows the Protester to burn the Flag.

Offline ArmyRick

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • What the????
Re: A few questions about battle school
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2004, 16:29:45 »
BMQ and the old QL2 are almost identical..
They did not cover C9, C6, M67 (c13), field craft or sh#t like that in the old QL2. Don't be disillusioned.

The old QL3 infantry was SQ/DP 1 Infantry (2IC Skills coy info me a week ago BIQ as a term does not exist) except that the training followed a more logical approach. (you didn't jump from one are of training to another so much)
Prior to SQ, the other combat arms (Art, arm and fd eng) did their own field phases (cool) and EME did some hard core sh@t at CF SMEME (Yup some CSS guys are hard core)..
The Log branch did nothing like that.
So the SQ was good for some areas of the army, others it actually put their training out of sequence.

I am NOT a privileged white man by virtue of being male or white. I am privileged because I am alive and exercising my right to be who I am!

Offline brin11

• Rate Post
  • Gun Plumber
Re: A few questions about battle school
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2004, 16:45:28 »
I think the addition of SQ for all army trades is an excellent idea.  Previous to it, there was definitely not enough common army training for support trades.  As for CFSEME doing hardcore training, I did the week long field exercise in 1989 at Regimental (as part of EME common); it definitely was not hardcore.  We did a few section attacks and the rest was basically how EME lives in the field, ex:  cam & concealment, etc.  On the last night there was an attack on our position by the instructors.  Some of us also helped out the instructors with the new advance to contact drills with the C9 as they didn't know them yet and were teaching the old method with the C2's.  Perhaps things improved after that time.
The enemy's gate is down.

AndrewWGrieve

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2004, 05:30:20 »
In regards to the comment someone made earlier that BMQ trained pers are not allowed to go on field ex, they are correct.  Technically that is.  Most units still take 'em anyways.  The idea is that the BMQ field portion is now only a sleepover and therefore does not qualify for field work.  Having taught that BMQ field portion, it's basically a camping trip.  I'd still take BMQ trained pers on exercise though, despite the fact that all they have under their belt is a camping trip. 

Tickles

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2004, 13:01:23 »
im on sq right now
we have completed 3 weeks

learned...
c9 and c6
cold weather stuff
section attack theory
laser safety
recce patrol theory
field burial procedure
snow defences
camoflauge
did a shooting test (got marksman)
battle procedure
radios and field telephones
BFT - 13km ruckmarch

now we are on 30 days leave for christmas when we go back we go in the field and practice section attacks