Author Topic: Soldier Qualification Course (Questions & Answers)  (Read 372691 times)

Offline Sapper24

• Rate Post
Re: Soldier Qualification Course (Questions & Answers)
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2004, 01:11:55 »
At what website do they post these dates at, if anyone can send me the link that would be great thanks!

wookie

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2004, 14:42:21 »
Hello everyone I started sq but did not finish due to injury. It didnt seem that bad but you can expect the same if not worse treatment than at basic. I do have a question though to anyone who may be able to answer. I have been hearing that sq will be add to the end of basic again starting in Jan. if this is true what about us guys still waiting to do sq? To further this info. the story has it that no one will be sent out to do sq. I hope someone can help answer this and have a Happy New Year.

Offline DarthScott

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2004, 21:30:25 »
I'm on my BMQ rite now in st jean, they told us that the next course staring IN Jan is just going to be 2 weeks longer. 1 more in the field, not sure bout the other.we had a couple guys have to recourse so they'll be doing the 12 week course. thats what we where told by our staff any way, who knows though?!

Offline ArmyRick

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • What the????
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2005, 08:49:07 »
I am instructing on an SQ right now. Yes you will do if you are waiting for it (Holding platoon?) and no don't think that 2 extra weeks in St Jean means your doing SQ. The course is 7 weeks long and done at an area training center. SQ should not mentally be tougher than basic, however it is.
I am NOT a privileged white man by virtue of being male or white. I am privileged because I am alive and exercising my right to be who I am!

Offline Hopkins

• Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2005, 14:32:24 »
I'm taking my tests next week so I haven't started my SQ just yet...

However I am worried about the SQ dates.

I'm still in Highschool for the next year and a half...I can't be gone 20 days to complete that course...Especially since I'm going to Shilo and Fort Lewis with my Regiment (5th RCA in B.C.)

Anyone know more about this or does it have to be done in the summer before I go off?

I'd appreciate the help.

Offline Canuck_25(Banned)

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2005, 18:32:03 »
 I would like to ask any member who knows if you could be selected with the knee condition "runners knees"?

I have had this condition for over 4 years, although pain in minor, and rare in most cases. Im afraid when i am medicaly inspected by a phycisian i be voided because of my knees. I also have partially flat feet and i must wear insoles.

I sound pretty screwed up physically, but i am a avid hiker and outdoorsman

Offline Hopkins

• Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2005, 19:27:42 »
I would like to ask any member who knows if you could be selected with the knee condition "runners knees"?

I have had this condition for over 4 years, although pain in minor, and rare in most cases. Im afraid when i am medicaly inspected by a phycisian i be voided because of my knees. I also have partially flat feet and i must wear insoles.

I sound pretty screwed up physically, but i am a avid hiker and outdoorsman

I also have flat feet and also wear insoles...However I think insoles would be allowed but maybe someone who has been through the experience could enlighten us?  I'm also a runner, hiker, and a sports fanatic (Golf, Hockey, etc...)  Military is going to be my life.  And no stupid feet are gonna stop me. :salute:

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
Re: Soldier Qualification (SQ) Course Details
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2005, 20:08:16 »
I find it hard to believe that any vehicle being taught after taking a LSVW Dvr Crse will be simply a Conversion Crse.   Learning to drive a LSVW, does not in anyway resemble or come close to driving a HLVW, TLAV, LAV III, MLVW, Bison, Coyote, or any other vehicle in the CF inventory.

Sounds about right to me... the initial course covers the basics of driving, the rules of the road, defensive driving, night driving, off-roading, maintence, etc etc...

The conversion courses then cover the specifics as related to each vehicle, as the basics, such as the rules of the road, apply no matter what vehicle you're driving (IE you don't suddenly get to drive on the left just because you're driving a Coyote)... how long the conversion takes depends on the vehicle... a conversion course to drive a milcot takes a day, to drive an HL takes two weeks if I recall correctly...
Remember troops, the minimum acceptable standard is still an acceptable standard.

Offline Luck881

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2005, 07:58:38 »
A conversion course doesn't "convert" you from just knowing generally how to drive to being a specific type of vehicle driver.  It converts you from being qualified on a certain vehicle to the vehicle that either replaces it, or is of a similar type.  For example, if you were qualified on the 5 1/4, you could be converted to the LSVW, or ILTIS to LUVW, as they were replacements.  You could also be converted to BISON if you were qualified AVGP, since the vehicles are mostly identical.  However, you cannot be converted from BISON to LAV because as anyone who's ever been inside the drivers compartment on both vehicles can tell you, the similarities end after the 8 wheels.  Anyhow, the term "conversion" gets thrown around alot, but a formal driver wheeled or BDT type of course is still required then specific courses for each vehicle like HL, AVGP, LAV, (LOSV???) are done.  Sorry for the rant, just venting about a pet peeve of mine since I deal on a daily basis with new troops that can't drive any vehicle in the compound...

Offline Sigs Guy

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2005, 00:37:34 »
I've already applied for the Army Reserves in my area, and am gonna be either a reserve MP or reserve Infantryman. However I am also considering getting into the Regular Force Infantry. Right now I can do about 30 situps in a minute, and 55 pushups if I really push myself, I was also able to do the 2.4km run in 9:30. Can anybody tell me any of the key differences between the Infantry reserves and the Infantry course fulltime. As well as what I could expect if going fulltime with the infantry?

Thanks for the responses.
"I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. "
"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?' "

Martin Luther King Jr

Offline Goober

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2005, 19:31:51 »
I'm on SQ right now, its 33 training days, mines April 4th to May 25th, the next one is April 28th - June 14th. There is a max of 36 people, for 3 sections of 12.

SQ right now is easy, but the pace picked up a bit today, we got our C9's, and they are pushing us harder for PT, but most of the PT is centered around ruck marches, which are no problem. If you pass BMQ no prob, SQ will be no prob.

Offline Hunter911

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2005, 20:38:03 »
I just read the thread and i saw soemeone say that they took the anti-armour out of SQ? Anyone have any info on that? Im kinda interested.

Offline Goober

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2005, 14:39:55 »
In SQ you only use the C7, C9, C6 and C13 grenades.

Offline Garett

• Rate Post
Soldier Qualification Modernization
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2005, 11:38:34 »
I recently graduated a Reg Force Soldier Qualification course.  The training conducted on the course has been unlike any other as far as I know.

We conducted training, including livefiring, with the MNVG and PAQ/PEQ laser sights.  We conducted Urban Operations training with Simuniton FX rounds.  We also changed the format of the exercises to a more mobile VS static exercise.

Everyone involved agreed that the training was excellent and way more relevant and effective then previous courses.

Currently we're going through the AAR process to improve the training.  My next course starts on 30 June 05, hopefully the training on that course will be even more effective. 

Compter

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2005, 13:08:10 »
I just finished my SQ in Wainwright about 3 weeks ago. It actually wasn't to bad at all. Had alot of fun on it. We got to do a lot of weapons training on the C7, C9, and the C6. As well we got to throw a couple of grenades. PT wasn't to bad either, alot of running and ruck marches. Are instructors were pretty cool so that made it alot of fun.

So if anyones heading out there have fun, it flies by.

Later

Offline Steve

• Mentally hilarious
  • Rate Post
  • No claim for you!
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2005, 13:21:41 »
What distances for rucking and running? Just want to gauge where I am right now.

Good to hear you had a good time.. a lot of people I talk to over-exagerate and blow things out of proportion (surprise surprise) and tried to make me literally terrified of the SQ. While I knew better than to accept it I must admit I was beginning to be concerned about it. So it's good to see some fresh and "real" feedback about SQ.
I fell off the jungle gym.. and when I woke up, I was in Petawawa..

Compter

« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2005, 10:32:07 »
The rucks started at 5k and worked up to 13k in the end(though some were almost ruck runs). We did 2 ruck marches a week and 2 runs and 1 day of circuit training. Runs never got any longer than about 7k, which isn't bad if you run at a resonable speed. Almost died a couple of timed but hey what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

I've noticed in Borden everyone hypes up SQ and makes everyone absolutly paranoid. I mean your gonna end up doing some things that suck but hey thats what makes it fun. In the end like I said I had a great time. Met alot of cool people and did alot of awesome stuff.

Best of luck to you

Later

Offline Sc011y

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2005, 17:11:56 »
Iv got three days left on my BMQ in the Whack, as I write this I'm on my second of 2 total days leave to date.  My SQ starts in about a week, Aug 4th.  Just out of curiosity, will I be getting the same (appox 2 days) of non CB leave?  Or does it really depend on the staff, etc.

Bomber Rock

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2005, 09:36:27 »
It mainly depends on your staff, but you also have to remember that there will be a higher standard on your SQ you are trained so if you screw up punishment will probably be belt fed (CB'd, Inspections what not)

Offline jaawod

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2005, 17:33:29 »
It mainly depends on your staff, but you also have to remember that there will be a higher standard on your SQ you are trained so if you screw up punishment will probably be belt fed (CB'd, Inspections what not)
Hey guys.  I finished my SQ at the end of May in Meaford.  I'll try to tell you about some of the stuff we had to do.

Our course was 7 weeks long plus about 4 days of pre-course for admin, get everybody their gear, etc.  There are 2 and a half weeks in the field, no drivers course, no anti armour, and depending on when you go the winter warfare may be drastically cut down.  A lot of ruck marches (or ruck runs, depending on your staff).  There is a decent amount of PT, but you can power through it not too bad.  We learned the c9, c6, grenades, section attacks, defensive positions, recce patrols, and a lot of other field and attack related stuff.  We were CB'd for the first 3 weekends, the length of cb depends on whether or not you pass the CO's inspection.  They are really big on inspections, especially everyone being exactly the same.

I dunno what else to say, it's not as bad as the rumours, but you have to put a lot of effort in and really try.  They don't mess around with the punishment, it's either inspections, pt, or charges.

Offline Savage_Tactical

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2005, 11:38:57 »
2 Questions:

1)How heavy are the rucksacks?

2)In SQ are you grouped with many other different army trades? Or are there specific SQ's for the larger army trades such as crewman and infantry?
"You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand."

Offline Jinxed

• Rate Post
  • Survivalists aren't paranoid, we are well prepared
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2005, 22:50:51 »
Depends what you put in it.  The standard loadout is not too bad...best I can compare it to is one of those water dispenser jugs, give or take.  It can get quite heavy though in some conditions like for cold weather exercises and especially if the ruck (particularly the valice's contents) get wet.  Shove your sleeping bags into the bivy bag and your other stuff in the top compartment into a garbage bag.

I can't speak for the reg force but in the reserves, quite often you are lumped with other similar trades, ie sig ops have MPs, clerks, supp techs, linemen on their BMQ/SQ in the comms res.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys.
Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Offline PPCLI WO

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2005, 01:04:23 »
2 Questions:

1)How heavy are the rucksacks?

2)In SQ are you grouped with many other different army trades? Or are there specific SQ's for the larger army trades such as crewman and infantry?

Answer #1: The weight load marches on SQ range from a 5km march with a 10kg rucksack during week one to a 10km march with a 24.5kg rucksack during week five. This all culminates with the LFCPFS 13km march, commonly known as the BFT.

Answer #2: The SQ I just taught on was 100% infantry.  Our sister course was made up of equal numbers Cbt Arms and CSS.  It's luck of the draw.

Offline Deves

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2005, 22:20:55 »
Hey there,
Just wondering if a SQ is the same for all of the combat arm MOC's. Do they cut things out or is it all of the same training for every trade?

THXS
DEVES
Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.

Offline Sdt.Boutin

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2005, 17:43:55 »
Not everyone need to take-it
Depend's on when you join and the trade you are
But I'm not sure if this policie change but I know 1 things, If you're in before january 2004 you don't need to do-it.
I thinks even the medic need to do-it know but probably the Airforce Moc don't need to.
(the bad things with this course is for, example, the medic. We CAN'T use ******* c-9, c-6, Carlo, M-79, etc...)
I need to help every one, but who gonna help me??