Author Topic: Reserve Q?s: Is summer training mandatory? Is it difficult to find the time as a student?  (Read 11474 times)

Veteran`s son

Is summer training for Reserves mandatory?

Couldn‘t the BMQ and the rest of Basic Training be completed during the one evening a week and certain weekends that must be attended for training?

Also, is it two or three weekends a month for training?

DnA

Re: Is summer training for Reserves mandatory?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2003, 20:36:00 »
BMQ can be taking during the summer, monday to friday, or every 2nd weekend during the year

SQ an your QL3, QL4, etc are done during the summer

DnA

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2003, 20:39:00 »
for the reserve, you owe them
1 night a week
1 weekend a month
an, during the spring break period, their‘s usually training in that

an summer training

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 13:37:00 »
DnA: STOP answering questions to which you don‘t know the answers. As an untrained private with no time in, no courses, and no experience, you may want to refrain from always voicing your opinion. Also, you may want to remove your exact name, unit, and platoon from your signature... just some advice.

As for courses: in Western Area, they are running BOTH BMQ and SQ during the weekends, and there is some talk of offering some trades courses, but that hasn‘t happened here (in 39 CBG) yet. To complete his training, and progress in his career, there may be times when he‘s required to go away for courses, but the reserves has gotten much better with this in that they‘er breaking everything up:

example: leadership training used to be 13-16 weeks straigh. NOW it‘s done mostly through the home unit, with only a 6 week (or so) commitment to go away for. They‘ve realized that they need to tailor courses more for the working person and student, so the course lengths are getting shorter, but now there‘s just more courses to take.

I hope this clarifies a little. Also, there‘s still a lot of changes happening, so just tell him to keep his ears open.
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Offline Recce41

• Rate Post
  • Yes, I'm a prick! What about it!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 13:57:00 »
Combat Medic
 Thanks, He‘s getting on my nerves too. Vet Son, your question is one of the reasons. Regs dislike Res. Our Res are the only ones in the world that cannot be ordered to go play. I hope one day they say, every man/woman has to do three yrs, Res/Reg time. That you have to go to the field, etc.
Canadian Decoration,Chief of Defence Staff Commandation.Bold and Swift/Airborne

Offline muskrat89

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Desert Rat
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 14:23:00 »
Regs dislike Res. Our Res are the only ones in the world that cannot be ordered to go play.
Like that‘s their fault? That‘s like saying "I dislike Canadian Regulars because they are the only ones in the western world with old tanks and trucks"

I can only speak for the Militia Unit that I was in, but we busted our humps TRYING to get "ordered to go play"

:rolleyes:
+150
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Offline Recce41

• Rate Post
  • Yes, I'm a prick! What about it!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2003, 15:51:00 »
When soldiers have excuses not to show, burns me. When a whole Sqn is tasked to support a unit, and only 10 people show. That is BS. And the Tank thing makes no sense. In the Brit and US Army, soldiers go to jail if they don‘t show. In ours we tell them, OOO next time we‘ll take away your kit. The Res are a socal club now. When people sign in and just go to the mess, or just sign in. My view and others, all COs and RSMs be Reg, and have a full RSS staff.
Canadian Decoration,Chief of Defence Staff Commandation.Bold and Swift/Airborne

Offline muskrat89

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Desert Rat
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2003, 16:33:00 »
The tank thing was a rhetorical example, not a literal one. Sorry I didn‘t clarify. So, what you don‘t like is people who shirk their responisbilities, and systems that don‘t hold them accountable. I don‘t know if you‘ve ever done other jobs besides the military, but those people and situations are disliked in all walks of life, and all professions. I could list examples of Regular Force soldiers who were not shining examples of world-class work ethics, but that would quickly degrade into an argument that I‘m not going to partake in, with you or anyone else. Slackers and morons are not unique to the Reserves. To paint everyone and everything with one brush as you do, does not do your knowledge and experience justice.

DnA

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2003, 17:06:00 »
sorry, I‘ll stop answering threads then

but, I‘m just posting what i know

Reserves do train once a week, an usually 1 weekend a month, etc

an, I‘v been in the Reserve for almost a month, so I do have a little time in, an I‘m just going by with what I‘v been told by others in my unit an such

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2003, 17:49:00 »
DNA everyone has a right to their own opinion, even if its the world is flat.
I think what might help in this situation is if you answer questions  just make sure the person/s your speaking to understand the amount of expierence you have within the military. Most of us can‘t answer a question about what it‘s like to be on the BMQ nor could you answer what it was like to be on a QL2, see what i mean?

I really agree with what Recce41 said about COs and RSS staff being reg force. They know the ins and outs of the system a lot better, they know  a lot more people In the system to call in favors. That being said the reg force guys have to understand the nature of the reserves. As dumb as it is, you can‘t force reserve guys to work. If you have 4 training nights with 3 periods of drill each, chances are your not going to have many people on the 5th training night. Is it right? Probably not but thats how it works.
I think the major problem with the reserves is they are treated with such kid gloves. If you say ‘live fire excersise‘ a lot of them are actually afraid.  I‘ve actually heard privates say "screw that im not going to the jungle lanes this week-end i can get shot". Half the fault is theirs for their attitude but i think the other half of the blame falls on the army for not giving them realistic enough training. You can‘t train and treat people like kids then expect them to act like adults when the time comes.
There are no wolves on Fenris

DnA

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2003, 23:43:00 »
in my Signiture, i had it listed that I was only a member of Pat Platoon, so i just assume whoever read my post‘s would know I was only a new recruit in the army, but next time I will add more info in my responses

an ghost, thanks for telling me "how to correct" what i did, instead of telling me to basically shut up cause  I know nothing

PTE Gruending

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2003, 00:37:00 »
Recce41, may I ask what is the source of your animosity towards the Reserve force?

Food for thought: Canadian Army (or CF for that matter): what would it look like without a Reserve Force? Are there any nations without such a thing as a Militia or Reserve? And how do they deal with current issues?

Thanks

logistik

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2003, 01:45:00 »
What recce41 is saying is that he doesn‘t like the attitude of the average reservist. The "I‘ll show up or I won‘t, who cares." You need to be commited. Even if it is a part time job you should not take it lightly. Its like the ads say, " It‘s not your average part time job." So don‘t treat it like one. Show up as much as you possibly can. And try and show everyone that you aren‘t just another reservist. Show that you take the job serious.

But **** , what do I know? I am a FNG myself.

Offline muskrat89

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Desert Rat
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2003, 08:10:00 »
I‘m trying really hard not to get drawn into this, but I am weak...  :p    I can only speak for the Unit I was in. Maybe 10% were lazy, or slackers, or useless. Getting rid of them, or making them accountable was an uphill battle, administratively. That bothered the conscientious Reservists in the Unit. The rest of the Unit were dedicated, professional as they could be, and there BECAUSE THEY WANTED TO BE. not because it was a "job", or career they were stuck in. Unless things have changed, or I was in a unique Unit, I don‘t agree with what you call the attitude of the "average" reservist. RSS staff was hit and miss - I didn‘t get the impression it was a plum posting. Many of our BSMs and RSMs were ex-Regular Force - again hit and miss. Instead of being there because they enjoyed it, and had spent 15 years in the Unit, while also filling another role in the Community - they were there because it was a convenient place to semi-retire, after their career in the Regs, and the presiding BSMs and RSMs were probably former buddies. Finally, to give Recce some creedance, I don‘t blame Regular Force soldiers for their perceptions of the Militia. That is because, and I have said it before, we don‘t send our brightest and best on callouts and other taskings, because they usually cannot be spared from their civvie jobs. We sent (often, not always) who was able to go. Often they were members of the 10%, mentioned above.

Offline portcullisguy

• Rate Post
  • Border Services Officer
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2003, 11:13:00 »
Thought I have only been in less than a year, and am still doing BMQ, I am starting to understand what level of committment the reserves like to see out of its members - at least in 32CBG.

An anecdotal example: My friend and co-worker is in an armoured regiment here in Toronto.  On a weekend he was supposed to be working, he still managed to find time after work to show up at the armoury on the Friday night as the unit prepared to go to Meaford.  He couldn‘t go himself, but there he was helping sort out kit, and basically lending a hand making sure everything went off as planned.  Sure, it‘s a half-day‘s pay, but I think for him the reward is also participation, even when he cannot commit to the whole weekend because of work.

Clearly, our committment to the federal public service jobs we hold takes priority, in our case.  He also knows that the reserves won‘t work if no one shows up.
portcullisguy

non dormiverit gladius meus - dileas gu brath

48 Highrs

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2003, 16:54:00 »
>Is summer training for Reserves mandatory?

Not if the courses are available part-time.  While as noted there is very little one can be compelled to do, each reserve soldier has a strong ethical obligation to make the time to complete BMQ, SQ, and MOC (first level of trade training, eg. infantry) as soon as possible.   All of that should be achievable in as little as a single summer (if schedules were so arranged) or, I suggest, two years at the outside.

>Couldn‘t the BMQ and the rest of Basic Training be completed during the one evening a week and certain weekends that must be attended for training?

Yes, when and where the courses are offered part-time.

>Also, is it two or three weekends a month for training?

Most unit Sep-May annual training schedules will occupy one evening per week, one full weekend per month, and one weekend day (eg. Sat) per month.  Not all of that will necessarily be required of every soldier.

Most part-time courses run on separate schedules which may coincide with the host unit‘s annual training schedule.  The pattern will vary by area.  For example, in BC (39 CBG) the preferred mix is a three-week cycle of two weekends on and one weekend off.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Veteran`s son

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2003, 20:50:00 »
Thank you for all of your replies!

I know that I have asked many questions about joining/serving in the Reserves but the informative replies from the group were helpful to me!

I am glad to be a member of this message board.

Thank you again!

Veteran`s son

Is it difficult to find the time to be a student and be in the Reserves?
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2003, 20:42:00 »
Is it difficult to find the time to be a student and be in the Reserves?

Is this challenging for most people?

Any replies would be appreciated!

Offline ~RoKo~

• Living the dream. I think...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Personal Text:
I guess that depends on the person, and how much free time they like to have.  ;)

I‘m currently studying engineering, and am serving in the reserves as well. I try to do training courses full time in the summer, and manage to find the time to attend almost all parade nights and exercises, though I sometimes have to miss one during midterms.

So it is do-able, I know other people do it to, but at times it does require time managment skills to be able to jugle getting good grades, and the giving as much as you can to the reserves.

DnA

I‘m a high school student in the PRes, I have no problems with it, an a bunch of other people in my unit are in college/university an they dont seem to have problems with it

Offline SpinDoc

• Rate Post
  • Reservist
Expanding on what Korus says...

Yes, it depends quite a bit on both yourself (what kind of schedule you have) and also the responsibilities that are entrusted to you by your unit.

If you join as an NCM, early on in your career as a private chances are you won‘t be entrusted with tasks that would take you extra time beyond parade night.  As you get higher in rank (and if you‘re still in school), you might have to do some prep work at home (i.e. prepare lesson).

Depending on your unit/your boss, young officers may get minimal responsibilities or they might be entrusted with something a bit heftier, such as planning and managing a course, etc.  It might take a lot of time or it might take very little time, depending on how one tackles the responsibility.

Hope that didn‘t muddy the water too much.

Offline PikaChe

• I'm not a communist. I just work for them
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Pika la RevoluciĆ³n!
School work is not an excuse for missing training.
Do them ahead of time. Do a little planning.

ninty9

School work is not an excuse for missing training.
Do them ahead of time. Do a little planning.
I beg to differ.  

What is more important in ones life?  Reserves or getting a degree from a University.  The Reserves is a job, school is much more important.

If one cannot do both, quit.  Its simple, but I don‘t think i‘d choose any work over my education.  I‘m the one paying for the education, so why wouldn‘t I do it?

Offline PikaChe

• I'm not a communist. I just work for them
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Pika la RevoluciĆ³n!
^You‘re right. I‘d choose education over missing a training night.

However, I‘ve not seen any situation where a little planning, (and perhaps less partying) does not free up time to finish your school work and allows you to attend training.

In university, you are told in advance, or given an idea when your assignments are due and when your tests and exams are.
So, plan around that.

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
DnA: correct me if I‘m wrong, but didn‘t you just join up? You may want to hold off on saying how easy it is to juggle school/work and reserves until you‘ve been in for a while.
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy