Author Topic: Common Law Marriage in the Canadian Forces - Mega Thread  (Read 187027 times)

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Common Law Marriage in the Canadian Forces - Mega Thread
« Reply #425 on: January 22, 2018, 21:32:22 »
I’m trying to get a clear answer from someone in the WOR regarding this CL application. No one has a clue. I’ve filled out the application and I guess i need to have an interview with the CO, bring my spouse and sign the declaration in front of him?

I’ve been getting answers like I need to have a bill or some other bullshit with both our names on it. Well the mgt, house and all the bills are all on my name and are going to stay that way. It has nothing to do with living together for a year with my gf.

So what’s the actual procedure, fill out the forms and hand them to who? OR? COs secretary?
It does have something to do with with living together for a year with your girlfriend, it's to establish that it is both of your primary residence for a year.  It doesn't have to be "your" bills, it could be a credit card bill of hers dated a year or more ago that is going to that address, other types of mail that is delivered in her name to that address etc that has a date stamp on it, a loan application of hers from a year ago with the address...there are a ton of different ways to prove residence.  If she doesn't have any of that, it is kind of hard to argue that your place has been her primary residence.  Not saying it can't be done, just makes it a lot harder, particularly if she hasn't bothered to change other types of ID like her drivers license to that address, has maintained a separate apartment etc etc.  All of that points to not meeting the cohabitation requirement.

The actual policy and procedure is laid out on the DWAN and is relatively easy to find.  But yes, you both need to be present to sign the stat dec as the paperwork requires both of you to sign it and to be positively identified at that time.

If it is that important, due to an upcoming tour, she suddenly needs you dental/medical coverage, a posting you want to move her on and you can't prove joint residency, there is always the JP or a trip to Vegas...

Offline Quirky

• Rate Post
« Reply #426 on: January 22, 2018, 22:16:10 »
It does have something to do with with living together for a year with your girlfriend, it's to establish that it is both of your primary residence for a year.  It doesn't have to be "your" bills, it could be a credit card bill of hers dated a year or more ago that is going to that address, other types of mail that is delivered in her name to that address etc that has a date stamp on it, a loan application of hers from a year ago with the address...there are a ton of different ways to prove residence.  If she doesn't have any of that, it is kind of hard to argue that your place has been her primary residence.  Not saying it can't be done, just makes it a lot harder, particularly if she hasn't bothered to change other types of ID like her drivers license to that address, has maintained a separate apartment etc etc.  All of that points to not meeting the cohabitation requirement.

The actual policy and procedure is laid out on the DWAN and is relatively easy to find.  But yes, you both need to be present to sign the stat dec as the paperwork requires both of you to sign it and to be positively identified at that time.

If it is that important, due to an upcoming tour, she suddenly needs you dental/medical coverage, a posting you want to move her on and you can't prove joint residency, there is always the JP or a trip to Vegas...

Providing proof of residency has nothing to do with the CL application and there is no mention of it in the official policy. Besides, I called all my billing companies and none of them will just “put a name” on a bill. The only thing that’d I’d have is a receipt of the uhaul we used for the move.

Then again policy doesn’t actually require any proof, which makes sense. Putting someone on a bill or mortgage for that matter proves nothing.

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #427 on: January 22, 2018, 22:28:48 »
Providing proof of residency has nothing to do with the CL application and there is no mention of it in the official policy. Besides, I called all my billing companies and none of them will just “put a name” on a bill. The only thing that’d I’d have is a receipt of the uhaul we used for the move.

Then again policy doesn’t actually require any proof, which makes sense. Putting someone on a bill or mortgage for that matter proves nothing.
:facepalm:

Well, if that's your attitude when someone who has gotten more than a few couples through the process gives you some advice, good luck!  You're going to need it.

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #428 on: January 22, 2018, 22:36:42 »

That’s odd, because when I had to provide proof of CL, my SO had me added to two bills with nothing more than a phone call and internet access. (Hydro and car insurance).

What you’re being told is correct, as I’ve gone through it myself and have also administered portions of the process in terms of the necessary paperwork and required documents from the members.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 22:55:01 by BeyondTheNow »
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Online kratz

Fall: Sweater Weather.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #429 on: January 22, 2018, 22:50:55 »
Quote from: Quirky
[/quote

If you want to learn from experience,  read after asking.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Quirky

• Rate Post
Re: Common Law Status Question
« Reply #430 on: January 22, 2018, 23:32:06 »
Time for a Clerk to weigh in that has processed MANY common law status requests including one for myself.

In accordance with the Military Human Resources Records Procedures (MHRRP) the ONLY documents required to claim common law status is the request form itself and the statutory declaration.  There is NO requirement to provide a lease/mortgage document to prove that you have been co-habiting as a couple for the process, in every single common law status request that I have processed (including my own) I have yet to ever have a lease/mortgage attached to the package.

I have heard this requirement from many clerks these days and I have informed each and everyone one of them that they are not inline with the MHRRP when that state that this is a requirement.  Whoever is stating that this is a requirement may want to have a read of MHRRP Chapter 62 and QR&O 1.075.

That’s odd, because when I had to provide proof of CL, my SO had me added to two bills with nothing more than a phone call and internet access. (Hydro and car insurance).

What you’re being told is correct, as I’ve gone through it myself and have also administered portions of the process in terms of the necessary paperwork and required documents from the members.

These two posts give me two completely different answers regarding proof of cohabitation. I rummaged through Chapter 62 and I didn’t see anything regarding proof.

In my trade I am required, by law, to follow written policy and document. The “because I told you so” and “that’s the way it’s always been done” rhetoric doesn’t fly. Literally. When I read policy and I get answers that don’t follow them, I start to ask questions.

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Re: Common Law Status Question
« Reply #431 on: January 23, 2018, 07:52:51 »
These two posts give me two completely different answers regarding proof of cohabitation. I rummaged through Chapter 62 and I didn’t see anything regarding proof.

In my trade I am required, by law, to follow written policy and document. The “because I told you so” and “that’s the way it’s always been done” rhetoric doesn’t fly. Literally. When I read policy and I get answers that don’t follow them, I start to ask questions.

B_HRA has far more experience and knowledge in the area and perhaps he, or another member in-the-know might swing by and clarify further.

At this point, the only thing I can do is surmise (until I can look it up further) that the requirement of being asked to provide back-dated supporting documentation was implemented as a way to have some way of providing proof that common-law status was established on/by a date stated. Yes, to initiate the common-law status the information BHRA provided is correct. But (and I’ve seen in happen), a member walks into the OR and says, “Oh, we started living together on such-and-such a date, so let me sign that stat-dec and we’re good to go.” Ok, well, where’s the proof? How does the military know that the member and the SO are legitimately entitled to the benefits of claiming CL and can thus move forward as such continuing to claim? Unfortunately there are examples of members taking advantage of the system.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:59:13 by BeyondTheNow »
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #432 on: January 23, 2018, 11:33:10 »
B-HRA is stating the interpretation out of the MHRRP, which is guidance to the HRAs, and not policy in and of itself. It is a more formalized version of the old Aide-Memoire that caused so many issues. It is a great place to find the forms and processes, but one needs to also read the underlying policy. The actual policy, issues in a CANFORGEN, states that the CO is the approving authority, and he must be satisfied that all CLP requirements are met. A CO may be satisfied by a signed stat dec. Or he may want more proof, which is his right. So, if your current CoC requires some sort of proof, then that is what is required.

Offline Quirky

• Rate Post
« Reply #433 on: January 23, 2018, 12:43:16 »
B-HRA is stating the interpretation out of the MHRRP, which is guidance to the HRAs, and not policy in and of itself. It is a more formalized version of the old Aide-Memoire that caused so many issues. It is a great place to find the forms and processes, but one needs to also read the underlying policy. The actual policy, issues in a CANFORGEN, states that the CO is the approving authority, and he must be satisfied that all CLP requirements are met. A CO may be satisfied by a signed stat dec. Or he may want more proof, which is his right. So, if your current CoC requires some sort of proof, then that is what is required.

If the CO requires proof then that's understandable as he/she is the ultimate approval authority.

Unfortunately there are examples of members taking advantage of the system.

That's completely understandable and I've heard of instances where a couple gets married, then after a posting gets divorced just to get a free move. My spouse gets far better benefits than I do so it's not an issue of using the system.