Author Topic: Honours & Awards (merged)  (Read 152432 times)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: MEDALS - Updated prerequisites.
« Reply #325 on: May 01, 2017, 21:18:35 »
This sounds like a great way to recognize some of the CE guys who spend extended periods maintaining places like Inuvik and other early warning sites. We have a few RM's that spend 1-3 months a year up there and it adds up quickly. After a posting they could easily have 365+ days above 60, yet only guys on the posted strength of Alert get the SSM.

It's also not uncommon for people to head to Alert for months at a time without it counting towards anything.

Not every time we are away from our postal codes = a gong though.  I've been away, more than once, on a CJOC named Op (not an exercise, a named op) OUTCAN and...its counts only towards the second bar on my CD. 
Do I love my job?  No.

But does it afford me the ability to go on lavish vacations and buy anything I want?  Also no.

Offline Matthew Copland

• Rate Post
« Reply #326 on: May 04, 2017, 15:16:10 »
No problem......Just put in the paperwork suggesting that an "INUVIK" Bar be made up for the SSM and you will be good to go.  Or should you just broaden the coverage and make it a "NORTH OF 60" Bar?     [:D

I was referring to the Polar Medal, it makes a comment about time served protecting Canada's northern sovereignty.

Or maybe a snowflake badge for the DEU's. . . .
Everywhere

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #327 on: May 04, 2017, 15:21:47 »
I was referring to the Polar Medal, it makes a comment about time served protecting Canada's northern sovereignty.

Or maybe a snowflake badge for the DEU's. . . .

As far as I know only one military per received it and that's for being the first to dive on HMS Erbus.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #328 on: May 04, 2017, 15:32:44 »
As far as I know only one military per received it and that's for being the first to dive on HMS Erbus.

I can imagine that person walking around with a copy of the Gazette to prove s/he earned it  >:D
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Matthew Copland

• Rate Post
« Reply #329 on: May 04, 2017, 18:06:20 »

I guess they are going the "exceptional circumstances" kind of route. That's fine too, I guess there are more glorious jobs then renovating a kitchen  :nod:
Everywhere

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #330 on: May 04, 2017, 18:19:51 »
I guess they are going the "exceptional circumstances" kind of route. That's fine too, I guess there are more glorious jobs then renovating a kitchen  :nod:

I guess anyone who has the 180 days above 67 degrees and can prove it can get the medal. I'm not sure if they are even giving it out anymore.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Matthew Copland

• Rate Post
« Reply #331 on: July 11, 2017, 11:30:55 »
Here is a question;

One of my friends has deployed to Latvia, he already has the SSM with the Alert Bar. So if he completes 180 days in Latvia he would be awarded the NATO bar, but he asked me what happens if he goes back? or what if he did another tour in Alert?

I looked it up and it's seems that there is no further way of recognition. He thought that this was weird because of the new system we have with bars on the GCS,GSM, and OSM.
Everywhere

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #332 on: July 11, 2017, 11:52:12 »
That's why the system is under review, especially the 180 day requirement. SSM didn't have any of the fancy numbers on there like a U.N. medal because it was a catch-all and applied to various missions.

Offline Matthew Copland

• Rate Post
« Reply #333 on: July 12, 2017, 00:44:11 »
Is there a reason NATO is not supplying the medals for these ops? I'm guessing the SSM is an interim measure and will be switched out with something else in the future. I remember hearing about ships receiving the article 5.

I'll read up on it, but the NATO website doesn't mention much about honours and awards.
Everywhere

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #334 on: July 12, 2017, 05:49:20 »
Here is a question;

One of my friends has deployed to Latvia, he already has the SSM with the Alert Bar. So if he completes 180 days in Latvia he would be awarded the NATO bar, but he asked me what happens if he goes back? or what if he did another tour in Alert?

I looked it up and it's seems that there is no further way of recognition. He thought that this was weird because of the new system we have with bars on the GCS,GSM, and OSM.

Not every Honour or Award has the same criteria.  Go to the DHH site and read what are the criteria for each Honour or Award.  http://forces.gc.ca/en/honours-history-medals-chart/medals-chart-index.page  (Click on item you want to research).

For the SSM, you get a bar for whichever deployment you were on.  If your "friend" was to Alert and also NATO, then they wear the ALERT and NATO bars on their SSM. 
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
Re: Honours & Awards (merged)
« Reply #335 on: July 12, 2017, 08:57:45 »
I have two bars on my SSM, for three qualifying tours. You only get to wear one instance of a bar regardless of how many times you've qualified for that specific award. In my case Humanitas x 1 plus Alert x 2 = 2 bars.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline sailoraye123

• Rate Post
« Reply #336 on: February 13, 2018, 01:11:14 »
hey,

What recognition do you receive if you deploy inside of Canada sure theres a lot of medals for task done outside of Canada. He'll even Alert has its own medal, but why isn't the FOL in Inuvik recognized? Or does it fall under a different category.. hell they even have a name for the operation any idea if Inuvik gets any recognition?

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #337 on: February 25, 2018, 23:44:53 »
O.N.E. Does not count towards any medal.  Just as Op Lentus does not, nor SAR missions or any other DOMOP. 
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #338 on: February 25, 2018, 23:50:29 »
O.N.E. Does not count towards any medal.  Just as Op Lentus does not, nor SAR missions or any other DOMOP.

There have been medals issued for certain specific domestic operations, but admitedly it has been a few years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_West_Canada_Medal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_General_Service_Medal

Offline HULK_011

• Rate Post
« Reply #339 on: March 01, 2018, 15:04:41 »
Question IRT to time towards a medal. What is considered time? In example short TAV's on named Ops that don't qualify as an attach posting.

Do those days count towards medal criteria? Specifically culmuative days.

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #340 on: March 01, 2018, 17:26:30 »
Pretty sure anything labelled a TAV, SIV or SAV isn't counted towards eligibility, or at least it was that way for the GCS in Afghanistan.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #341 on: March 01, 2018, 18:36:02 »
TAVs did indeed count towards the GCS.  My TAV in 07 was extended to 6 mos and we received the GCS.  Mind you, as we weren't officially part of the Roto we had to do our own leg work once we returned home.

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #342 on: March 01, 2018, 19:11:25 »
I believe it’s in the wording on your CFTPO - TAVs can last an entire tour length (so they count).  SAV and SIV are usually 1 to 2 weeks (YMMV) and are not considered an attach-posting. 

In the end there is someone in DHH that looks at every file and makes a determination.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

jollyjacktar

« Reply #343 on: March 01, 2018, 19:37:30 »
I believe it’s in the wording on your CFTPO - TAVs can last an entire tour length (so they count).  SAV and SIV are usually 1 to 2 weeks (YMMV) and are not considered an attach-posting. 

In the end there is someone in DHH that looks at every file and makes a determination.

We were only supposed to be in country for 59 days so they could forgo the benefits that came at 60 days.  The decision was made to extend us as we were getting the LAVs, Bison and Coyote changed over with the new up-armour kits and ECPK in a day and a half by the end of the tour.  We stayed until all the vehicles in theatre were completed.

But l did see at least one guy on another TAV who was there for 59 days, back to Canada for 7 and straight back to KAF for another go.

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #344 on: March 03, 2018, 15:38:41 »
I deployed out east on a TAV while we waited for CJOC to adjust the TO&E.  my CFTPO changed when it was made official. 
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
CAF amends criteria for Special Service Medal
« Reply #345 on: March 18, 2018, 08:48:12 »
I didn't see this posted yet, just popped up on my FB wall this morning.

Article Link

The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) has amended the criteria for two bars to the Special Service Medal (SSM), making it easier for CAF members to receive recognition for their contributions.

Canada’s new Defence Policy, Strong, Secure, Engaged, includes an initiative to modernize the overseas recognition framework to make service medals more accessible and flexible, ensuring the appropriate and timely recognition of military personnel who participate in or provide direct support to operations.

The amendment was brought about in part as a result of Operations REASSURANCE and UNIFIER. Because of deployment patterns, many CAF members who participated in these operations did not reach the 180 day criteria previously required.

The criteria for the NATO bar to the SSM is amended from 180 days to 45 days of eligible service beginning on or after October 20, 2004. Service before this date remains under the former criteria. Those who have eligible service on both sides of the transition date can combine all eligible service towards the shorter time criteria.

Similarly, the criteria for the EXPEDITION bar to the SSM is amended from 180 days to 45 days of eligible service beginning on or after July 1, 2007.

This change will provide participants in eligible modern operations with well-earned recognition for their contribution to the operational success of the CAF. It will make a significant difference for CAF troops currently in Ukraine and Latvia, as well as ships at sea. It will also facilitate the presentation of medals in theatre before redeployment.

The detailed criteria may be found in CANFORGEN 021/18. Additional measures to make campaign and service medals more accessible and in tune with modern CAF operations are under consideration by the Government of Canada and will be announced as the decisions are finalized.
Do I love my job?  No.

But does it afford me the ability to go on lavish vacations and buy anything I want?  Also no.

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: CAF amends criteria for Special Service Medal
« Reply #346 on: March 18, 2018, 09:09:08 »

Article Link

The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) has amended the criteria for two bars to the Special Service Medal (SSM), making it easier for CAF members to receive recognition for their contributions.

Canada’s new Defence Policy, Strong, Secure, Engaged, includes an initiative to modernize the overseas recognition framework to make service medals more accessible and flexible, ensuring the appropriate and timely recognition of military personnel who participate in or provide direct support to operations.

The amendment was brought about in part as a result of Operations REASSURANCE and UNIFIER. Because of deployment patterns, many CAF members who participated in these operations did not reach the 180 day criteria previously required.

The criteria for the NATO bar to the SSM is amended from 180 days to 45 days of eligible service beginning on or after October 20, 2004. Service before this date remains under the former criteria. Those who have eligible service on both sides of the transition date can combine all eligible service towards the shorter time criteria.

Similarly, the criteria for the EXPEDITION bar to the SSM is amended from 180 days to 45 days of eligible service beginning on or after July 1, 2007.

This change will provide participants in eligible modern operations with well-earned recognition for their contribution to the operational success of the CAF. It will make a significant difference for CAF troops currently in Ukraine and Latvia, as well as ships at sea. It will also facilitate the presentation of medals in theatre before redeployment.

The detailed criteria may be found in CANFORGEN 021/18. Additional measures to make campaign and service medals more accessible and in tune with modern CAF operations are under consideration by the Government of Canada and will be announced as the decisions are finalized.

The actual list of approved places is hilarious.  Giving Liaison Officers in Key West Florida medals.  I note that CANSOF does this funny thing of calling everywhere they go an OP.

For instance, they call training in Jamaica an Operation.  I was there in 2012 for almost six months.  The money for CANSOF engagement and what we were doing there comes from the exact same place.  I should put in for the expedition tab just to see what they say.

We are getting as bad as the Americans with respect to honours and awards.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #347 on: March 18, 2018, 10:46:33 »

Article Link

I was awarded the SSM with NATO Bar the day the change was announced lol
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline NavalMoose

• Rate Post
  • "Life in a blue suit"
« Reply #348 on: March 18, 2018, 11:04:57 »
Kind of like getting a SWASM for working in an air conditioned OPs room in Tampa  :rofl:

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #349 on: March 18, 2018, 12:21:36 »
I note that CANSOF does this funny thing of calling everywhere they go an OP.

For instance, they call training in Jamaica an Operation.  I was there in 2012 for almost six months.  The money for CANSOF engagement and what we were doing there comes from the exact same place.

Considering there won't be any CANSOF members here to defend what they're doing, or that their mission details aren't exactly public knowledge, the only thing you accomplished here is stating your sour grapes at having to be in Jamaica for 6 months. IF that funding did come from the same place, I'm sure there was enough heat and light on their mission and your task to delineate between an actual operation and whatever you did there.

If we're calling people being civil and not sexually assaulting each other an operation, who cares if they call whatever they do an operation?