Author Topic: Academic transcripts - Questions [MERGED]  (Read 37523 times)

Offline Le Adder Noir

• Rate Post
Re: University Transcripts and other inquiries
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 10:24:08 »
You must have a MINIMUM of 18 months remaining in your degree in order to be subsidized by current directives. One year remaining is not enough.

Cheers

SB
Experience, whether personal or vicarious, is of value to leader and follower alike.  The hard part is using it well -- Adrian Goldsworthy

Offline mathabos

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 17:41:45 »
You must have a MINIMUM of 18 months remaining in your degree in order to be subsidized by current directives. One year remaining is not enough.

Cheers

SB

I will consider myself lucky that I received an offer then.

Offline ----

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 13:52:09 »
I would suggest going in for an afternoon to your recruiter and asking these questions to them. As comforting as it is to ask your peers I feel that they will always have the best and most current information.

I think this is the 3rd or more thread you've started surrounding ROTP and to be honest rather than creating a new thread every single time you might find it easier to just call your local Recruiting Det.

I don't mean to sound harsh but to be honest this is probably not the #1 place to be getting your information from, it's like the Army's version of wikipedia. Anyone can post anything(they don't even need to be army).

That is my thought on this, good luck but you should likely call the recruiting office for their policies on acceptances and if you have choices on changing academic institutions and witholding transcripts.
Don't draw fire; it irritates the people around you.

Offline Would_be_Artillery

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 17:28:41 »
I understand if you may be annoyed with me posting my questions but I think every thread I have started had a valid question behind it, and it is hard to address so many questions in the confines of a single thread title. On another note recuiters don't always have answers to obscure but still relevant questions. I am trying to get personal testimonials and experiences, which is much more useful to me.

I also do not wish to make the recuitment office aware of my failures if I don't have to.

Now I suppose my only option is to re-apply, transcripts and all, sooner the better and at least have the early-bird on my side(unless this is not factor), pick up some volunteer work over the summer which my recruiter stressed on and maybe i'll have a fighting chance even with the poor marks.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 17:31:23 by Would_be_Artillery »

Offline ----

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2010, 00:31:53 »
I do feel your questions are valid but they should be answered by qualified people designated to give career advice. 

If a recruiter doesn't know an answer then it likely is not important or can be found here...university transcripts...probability of enrolement...Extracurriculars... Those are all things they should know about.

Hiding you failures is not a good idea, plus stressing them as failures really is not a good game plan. Think of it as learning experiences and the recruiting office won't keep a call log and search you up if you ask them about your "failures" on the phone. If they turn out to be unnecessary to mention then they will tell you and you can omit them from bringing them in your narrative or in your interview answers.  If they turn out to be relevant then its good you asked the recruiter right?

I don't want to lecture but these questions are more for the recruiting office.

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 20:39:30 »
Good point. I appreciate the advice, probably going to go down to the office tomorrow. Also I also have spoken with a guidance counselor from my school about a secondary back up plan for civilian life if the military thing doesn't work out, getting into programs that are a good stepping stone for law enforcement so at least I have my options spread on the table.

Offline ----

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 11:59:47 »
I'm not sure where you are located in Canada but if you are interested in Law enforcement there is a good program at Humber college offered by the University of Guelph    All together its the University of Guelph-Humber Justic Studies/Police Foundations Degree Diploma.  You get both the degree in Justice Studies and the Diploma in Police Foundations. My best friend is in there and it was one option I applied but turned down, but if you are seriously interested in Policing it is worth considering but as far as I know you cannot apply ROTP and get into that school since ROTP won't let you get a degree diploma program only fully university degrees.

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 23:38:31 »
I am in Ottawa, and I go to the University of Ottawa. While my current program of Psychology is relevant for detective work(which I do think I would like) I was told by OPP officers that a degree in Criminology would also suffice, political science is also somewhat related. Many told me the degree itself matter more that the nature of the degree.

I have many difference agencies to look at, the Ottawa Police Dept, the Provincial Police, RCMP, ofcourse the military and within the CF, there is ofcourse Military Police, someone said I sould seriously consider CSIS too, so that is all there. My interest is great in law enforcement, not to the extent of that of a military career but I will still need time to go about the websites for all these organizations and see what suits me best, that will be my plan B.

Offline ----

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 11:08:53 »
I too am in Ottawa (carleton though) and would advise that it is very competitive to get into policing and even more so from what I hear into the MPs.   Good luck but try look at every available options that offer advancement not only the ones you are most interested in. Policing at a University or out in the boonies is still better than no job at all.

Offline armychick2009

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2010, 08:46:18 »
Just a suggestion... if you aren't happy with your marks in courses you've taken, why not try and re-do them? It'll cost you money (which may defeat the purpose you are looking for) but if you are genuine in trying to better the outcome, maybe that's your current course of action. Are any of the exact courses you've taken available this summer? Or, can you re-do them by fall? If you are able to re-do them, get a better mark and whatever by the next application deadline, perhaps that will increase your chances. I've seen a lot of people re-do in their last year of university courses from first-year because they did so badly. You wouldn't be the first person to do it...

Offline ----

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2010, 11:18:32 »
I'm sure bringing a cup of coffee to your file manager will probably make them happier and more willing to give you the answers to need too.  :)   Everyone likes gifts :)

Offline AshFromCan

• Rate Post
Transcripts
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 21:01:57 »
I've attended universities for 4 years but have not graduated. Does CFLRS require transcripts of my courses when I start BMQ? High School Transcripts?

Offline ColdNorth

• Rate Post
Re: Transcripts
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 21:04:54 »
You should have handed those in with your application way before you even get to CFLRS.
cn

Militi Succurrimus

Offline AviatorHB

• Rate Post
Question about Academic transcripts
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 19:27:23 »
I am applying soon to join the Canadian forces (ROTP).

Do I need to bring the Official Academic transcripts from my high school and university (I am in 2nd year university). Or is it fine to send/bring unofficial transcripts (I can print my university transcript online)?

Also, is my report card from grade 12 considered my transcript? If not , how do I get my transcripts for high school and university? And do I need to bring my high school diploma to the interview because I don't have the certificate.

Thanks.

Offline scriptox

• Rate Post
  • We all start somewhere.
Re: Question about Academic transcripts
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 19:31:49 »
To get transcripts from High school, you would have to head on over to the guidance office/department at that high school and request for your transcript. I know for a fact they want your official hard copy of your transcript if you're going to bring a high school transcript. That includes getting the transcript stamped by your guidance department head and them pressing a seal on the paper.

When I handed in my app to ROTP I gave them my official transcript, they photocopied it, and gave it back.

For University, I wouldn't know, but I would assume it would be the same thing; official copy.

EDIT To address a couple more things:

Yes, your high school grades from grade 9 to 12, is part of your transcript. They would like to see that. And I think you would need to bring your diploma as well. Not sure if you would bring it to the interview or when you are just handing it in, but to be safe, bring it to both occasions.

As stated in this CFRC Hamilton checklist, http://www.employerregistry.ca/Portals/0/halton/CFRCChecklist.pdf

They would like to see any diplomas, certificates and transcripts (which means University AND High school)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 19:36:52 by scriptox »

Offline Fotoshark

• FotoShark
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2011, 04:30:14 »
They requested photocopies of each transcript(not diploma).  The high school one u need to go pick up (for me they only did em on Wednesdays for some reason I dunno I hope it's not the same for you) if you live out of town you can call and request it though someone in your family with ID/consent needs to pick it up. It'll cost you $5.
Your post secondary one is roughly $25 bucks and all I did was call and they mailed it to me.  Much easier.
Now the CF as I said requests photocopies when u send it in as part of your application BUT when you go in for your test/interview you need to bring the ORIGINALS with you.  And by the sounds of it they're gonna recopy em lol.
This has been my recent experience as they called last week with said details and to book my CFAT for October.

Hope this helps.

-T.
"If the horse has passed on, continuing to beat it yields no gain.  Let it be."

Offline AviatorHB

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2011, 13:16:25 »
Thanks guys.

So I don't need to get my diploma? Also, Fotoshark did you apply online for rotp?

Offline scriptox

• Rate Post
  • We all start somewhere.
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2011, 13:47:12 »
I don't really know why Fotoshark is saying that you do not need your diploma. And I'm not one to argue, but if I was you, I would bring it just in case. I'm just going off what the supported document says, and it says to bring, under section 5 of the source documentation,:

"Diplomas, certificates, and school transcripts"

Never hurts to be safe. You can download the CFRC Checklist document in PDF form which I linked to in my last post in this topic.

Make your decision from there.

Offline Fotoshark

• FotoShark
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2011, 15:48:36 »
Didn't mean you didn't need it at all sorry i was talkin transcripts. 

No just reg force online for me applied MP and Supply Tech.

-T.

Offline lethalLemon

• Rate Post
  • UP THE DUKES!
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2011, 16:37:04 »
Transcripts cannot be issued by the High School itself. Official Sealed Transcripts (which the CFRC will only accept) are only mailed by the Ministry of Education of the province in which you completed/attended High School.

For Example, Alberta: You would either fill out the online or mail-in application for your transcript along with either credit card payment or personal cheque payable to Minister of Finance. The envelope would be addressed to: Alberta Education - High School Transcripts and Diplomas

University Transcripts can be ordered and obtained at your University's Admission/Registrar Kiosk or the Student Assistance Officer (Academic Guidance) for a charge of $20 for 2-3 pick up or $28-$30 for same day pick up.
Pain is temporary. Pride is eternal.

Offline LOLslamball

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2011, 17:06:42 »
It states on the high school transcript that you graduated and if you did so with honours(in BC anyways.)

I brought my original copy with me and a photocopy, gave them the photocopy and they sighted the original.

For my Uni transcript I just brought in the one I printed off online. (It was called an advising transcript, showed all my grades and credits) and there has not been a problem with it as of yet. (finished CFAT, medical, waiting for an interview)

Offline lethalLemon

• Rate Post
  • UP THE DUKES!
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2011, 17:08:12 »
It states on the high school transcript that you graduated and if you did so with honours(in BC anyways.)

I brought my original copy with me and a photocopy, gave them the photocopy and they sighted the original.

For my Uni transcript I just brought in the one I printed off online. (It was called an advising transcript, showed all my grades and credits) and there has not been a problem with it as of yet. (finished CFAT, medical, waiting for an interview)

I guess it varies then. Both CFRC Vancouver and CFRC Calgary wanted official sealed transcripts - no photocopies.
Pain is temporary. Pride is eternal.

Offline ColdNorth

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2011, 18:46:03 »
Transcripts cannot be issued by the High School itself. Official Sealed Transcripts (which the CFRC will only accept) are only mailed by the Ministry of Education of the province in which you completed/attended High School.

For Example, Alberta: You would either fill out the online or mail-in application for your transcript along with either credit card payment or personal cheque payable to Minister of Finance. The envelope would be addressed to: Alberta Education - High School Transcripts and Diplomas

University Transcripts can be ordered and obtained at your University's Admission/Registrar Kiosk or the Student Assistance Officer (Academic Guidance) for a charge of $20 for 2-3 pick up or $28-$30 for same day pick up.

In Ontario, within 10 years of graduation, the high school guidance office can issue your official transcript, complete with notary, sealed in an envelope.  There is a fee of $10 per each transcript. 

And you do not need to bring in the diploma itself as it says directly on the official transcript if you received your secondary school diploma.
cn

Militi Succurrimus

Offline Fotoshark

• FotoShark
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2011, 12:16:31 »

In Ontario, within 10 years of graduation, the high school guidance office can issue your official transcript, complete with notary, sealed in an envelope.  There is a fee of $10 per each transcript. 

And you do not need to bring in the diploma itself as it says directly on the official transcript if you received your secondary school diploma.

Was gonna say, here in Ontario you CAN get it at the high school states right on the boards website.  If there were an option to get it by mail I would've and it wouldn't have taken me 2 weeks some miscommunication and a lot of gas wasted to get mine lol
Only cost me $5.  Apparently only cost a friend of mine at a different school $1.50 but the validity of that is quite doubtful.
When they hand it to you it is stamped and sealed, it's still official. 
As for photocopies as stated already several times now (even in the application paper work from the Forces site) photocopies are only to be mailed to the recruiting center.  You WILL need to bring the originals with you either when you take your test or when you go for your interview.  Was told this directly from a recruiter one week ago.

-T.

Offline Sadukar09

Something like that.

• Rate Post
  • Oompa-Loompas
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2011, 08:18:48 »

When I went to pick up my transcript, the guidance office said if you graduated within 2 years, you get your first transcript free.
"Bad decisions make good stories."
~Sgt. So and so