Author Topic: Academic transcripts - Questions [MERGED]  (Read 35527 times)

Offline Diamondwillow

• Rate Post
Re: Question about Academic transcripts
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2011, 10:18:19 »
I ordered both my Ontario High school and College transcripts this summer for my application to the CF. (I also applied to college this summer and the cost of the transcripts using the Ontario college enrollment procedures were the same as when I ordered them for myself)   The College transcript was available for purchase directly from the college website - it cost 10$ + 1.30$ shipping and a 2 week wait (to the day) and I graduated 21 years ago... My High school transcript was available from the local school board for the fine cost of 22$ plus shipping and I finished high school over 21 years ago :D hehe   

For those of us a wee bit longer in the tooth - the notations on the courses we took back in the day have changed over the years - the designation for advanced courses then is what they are using today for the general - Thankfully my interviewer commented that I didn't have the *advanced* math to apply for RMS Clerk... I was able to show him on the back of that transcript the annotations had changed and that in fact - I was well qualified to be able to proceed with that trade option.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."  Unknown

Offline AviatorHB

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2011, 14:54:56 »
If I am applying online then I will have to send photocopies of my transcripts to the CFRC right? But if the official transcripts are sealed, then when I open it to scan it then It wouldn't be technically 'official' anymore right? So does that mean it's fine to bring an unsealed transcript to my interview?

Offline Fotoshark

• FotoShark
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2011, 16:39:37 »
When I went to pick up my transcript, the guidance office said if you graduated within 2 years, you get your first transcript free.

Lucky ivE had to pay twice now lol once when I applied to college years ago and second time to apply to the forces lol. Not that they're expensive tho.

Your transcript is still official if opened it's stamped with your schools crest/seal whatever it's called can't remember off the top of my head currently.

-T.
"If the horse has passed on, continuing to beat it yields no gain.  Let it be."

Offline Newyork

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2011, 12:27:20 »
Unfortunately the high schools in the states are complicated. With less than average record managing skills. I learned this the hard way requesting my transcript once i left high school.

Offline AviatorHB

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2011, 22:49:59 »
I got my high school transcript. My mom called the guidance office at my school, (they required me to leave a message on their phone) and my brother picked it up for me since he goes to my old high school. Anyways it costed me 10 bucks (Ontario) and I graduated in 2010.

As for my university transcript, it cost's 10 bucks as well but takes 5 business days. Should I just print the transcript that I can get online for free? It is my unofficial transcript so the only difference would be its missing the signature and stamp. On the Forces website it doesn't say we need "official" transcripts, it just says transcripts.

For my Uni transcript I just brought in the one I printed off online. (It was called an advising transcript, showed all my grades and credits) and there has not been a problem with it as of yet. (finished CFAT, medical, waiting for an interview)

I have the same thing that I can print off.

I am starting my application this Friday.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 22:53:20 by AviatorHB »

Offline big45-70

• Rate Post
Question about Official College and High School transcripts
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2012, 09:01:03 »
I didn't finished my college program and only completed half a term.  I have all my other documents together (birth certificate/high school trans/other certs) and ready to mail in for my application.  Do I need to include my college transcript?

Edit: I did put 1 year but not completed on my online application.

Offline frank1515

• Rate Post
Re: Not quite a year of college. Do I need to send in my transcripts?
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2012, 09:25:22 »
There is a reason they ask for them... Give them what you can. If what you can give them is only half a term, then provide them with half a term.  When I did my application, I had to provide them with my transcript less the last semester and finally when I was done, they wanted my whole transcript including the term I had just finished, so I had to buy my transcripts twice. No big deal, the payout of serving my country is more than buying school transcript twice.

Good luck to you.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:28:35 by frank1515 »
*I have no military experience and I don't claim to have any. Anything posted by Frank1515 is from personal experiences with the recruiting process or my personal opinion. Please keep this in mind while reading my posts*

Offline Bartan

• Rate Post
Question about Official College and High School transcripts
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2015, 15:39:01 »
So i have my CFAT booked for May 19th and one of the things I need to bring with me are my official College and High School transcripts. My question is if the transcripts need to be in sealed envelopes sent by the schools so that they are official and unopened, or can the transcript be already opened? I have my official college and Ontario High School Student Transcripts but they aren't in some unopened envelopes with the sealed logo or sticker of my schools. Will that be ok? What did your high school transcript look like when you brought it to your CFAT?

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 15:45:28 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline luttrellfan

• Rate Post
Re: Question about Official College and High School transcripts
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2015, 15:48:11 »
I had the same concern as you. I brought my unopened Official Transcripts to the CFRC and the recruiter there opened it and said it would have been okay if I had opened it anyway. As long as your school(s) don't stamp "Unofficial" on the transcript itself, you will be fine.
Man, if you knew how short life was and how fast it can be snatched away from you, you wouldn’t waste one second doing anything that didn’t bring you absolute enjoyment. Period!
-   Marcus Luttrell

Offline Bartan

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2015, 15:55:34 »
Thanks guys. I actually just called my CFRC to double check and he said that the transcripts don't have to be in a unopened envelope or whatever. That's good for me because I have my official Ontario Student Transcript and Official College transcript next to me right now. However maybe some other CFRC's operate differently and do require sealed unopened transcripts so it's always good to give them a call and check.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2015, 08:15:06 »
Thanks guys. I actually just called my CFRC to double check and he said that the transcripts don't have to be in a unopened envelope or whatever. That's good for me because I have my official Ontario Student Transcript and Official College transcript next to me right now. However maybe some other CFRC's operate differently and do require sealed unopened transcripts so it's always good to give them a call and check.

Transcripts are transcripts.  As long as they are official, they don't need to be in a sealed envelope.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2015, 08:44:35 »
Transcripts are transcripts.  As long as they are official, they don't need to be in a sealed envelope.

Trouble is that some institutions will not issue official transcripts to students.  Whenever I needed one from U of T, I was required to contact the Registrar, pay the fee and tell them to whom I wanted it sent and they would send it.  The only thing the Registrar would be give me was an unofficial transcript - same information, just not the same "continuity of evidence."  This was the common practice of many institutions in years past, but things may be more relaxed now.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2015, 10:48:50 »
Trouble is that some institutions will not issue official transcripts to students.  Whenever I needed one from U of T, I was required to contact the Registrar, pay the fee and tell them to whom I wanted it sent and they would send it.  The only thing the Registrar would be give me was an unofficial transcript - same information, just not the same "continuity of evidence."  This was the common practice of many institutions in years past, but things may be more relaxed now.

That is true.   It's funny though, they are "your" transcripts.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2015, 05:32:39 »
That is true.   It's funny though, they are "your" transcripts.

They're not hiding the information.  They'll readily give that to you.  However, the idea of sending "official" transcripts directly to the organization requesting it (vice the student) is that it prevents the student from altering it.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2015, 09:26:56 »
For those who still ask about what to enter in the box provided asking for your current level of education:

Good day,

When filing out the section on school include your current level. There is a section that asks if you are still enrolled in school full time. Your graduating in June so I assume that your currently in school full time. When asked for your official education school transcripts the classes that you are currently enrolled will show as in progress.

You can apply now and begin the application process and your file will be updated with your completion of high school once you graduate and provide proof via an updated transcript.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline lmac99

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2016, 17:45:55 »
What is the protocol for submitting SAT scores? Would I need to contact Collegeboard and have them send my scores?

Offline YesMom

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2016, 17:48:41 »
Hey, my son is going for the CFAT and they asked him to bring his high school transcripts. He contacted his high school only to be told that they don't keep transcripts beyond 5 years (this is in Ontario).  So what is he supposed to do now? He graduated high school in 2007.  Don't tell me he is now prevented from going to RMC just because of this!! 

Any advice would be appreciated!  I'd hate to see him miss this opportunity.  Thanks so much. 

Offline nic32

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2016, 18:07:01 »
In the Province of Quebec, you can call at the ministry of education office to get your transcript of highschool years (last two years only, because they are what you need for college admission). I suppose that you can do the same in Ontario. By the way, my school has the same rule. They don't keep transcript after 5 years.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:42:06 by nic32 »

Offline JaiAlysa

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2016, 18:12:36 »
Hey, my son is going for the CFAT and they asked him to bring his high school transcripts. He contacted his high school only to be told that they don't keep transcripts beyond 5 years (this is in Ontario).  So what is he supposed to do now? He graduated high school in 2007.  Don't tell me he is now prevented from going to RMC just because of this!! 

Any advice would be appreciated!  I'd hate to see him miss this opportunity.  Thanks so much.

You should contact the school board that the high school is part of. They should be able to help you out. Good luck!
Recruiting Center: Ottawa
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer
Trade Choice 1: Pilot
Trade Choice 2: Intelligence Officer
Trade Choice 3: Aerospace Control Officer
Application Date: July 21st, 2015
First Contact: July 30th, 2015
CFAT: August 14th, 2015
ASC Phase 1: May 2nd & 3rd, 2016
Medical: June 8th, 2016
Interview: June 8th, 2016
ASC Phase 2: October 6th, 2016
Position Offered: Pilot
Swearing In: March 6th, 2017
BMOQ: March 13th, 2017

Offline YesMom

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2016, 18:19:36 »
You should contact the school board that the high school is part of. They should be able to help you out. Good luck!

Thank you for this. Yes I did that already (Halton District School Board) ... they just told me to contact the high school.  Maybe I should try the Ministry of Education for Ontario.  *sigh*

*EDIT* Just looking on the Ontario Ministry of Education website and their advice is to contact the school board if you want transcripts from more than 5 years ago. So back to the school board I go ... oh man!!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 18:34:05 by YesMom »

Offline cwright

• Rate Post
Poor Transcripts & Work Experience
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2017, 16:43:23 »
Hello everyone,

I'm a bit nervous because my 20's were pretty rocky. I was dealing with depression due to lack of direction and purpose. I've spoken with my local recruiter and he said as long as I'm off my antidepressants for at least 6 months, then I can take the medical.

My big concern now is that I passed highschool (modestly) and I've taken Information Technology twice at my local college, doing very well my first year, but petering out near the end of the second year. I gained a lot of F's on my transcript. I also had a lot of jobs during my 20's. I've been with my current job for almost 3 years, and another for 3 years before that, but I'm really concerned this is going to cause huge issues.

Is there anything I can do over the next 6 months to show that I'm not a total screw up? I'm lifting weights and running every day now. I'm teaching myself to speak Esperanto and I want to get into some volunteer work.

This is something I really, but do I even stand a chance at this point? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
Re: Poor Transcripts & Work Experience
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2017, 16:50:15 »
Hello everyone,

I'm a bit nervous because my 20's were pretty rocky. I was dealing with depression due to lack of direction and purpose. I've spoken with my local recruiter and he said as long as I'm off my antidepressants for at least 6 months, then I can take the medical.

My big concern now is that I passed highschool (modestly) and I've taken Information Technology twice at my local college, doing very well my first year, but petering out near the end of the second year. I gained a lot of F's on my transcript. I also had a lot of jobs during my 20's. I've been with my current job for almost 3 years, and another for 3 years before that, but I'm really concerned this is going to cause huge issues.

Is there anything I can do over the next 6 months to show that I'm not a total screw up? I'm lifting weights and running every day now. I'm teaching myself to speak Esperanto and I want to get into some volunteer work.

This is something I really, but do I even stand a chance at this point? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you.

To be honest, volunteer work doesn't do much for your application (this may depend on what you are applying for, I have no clue about Officer trades). Your academics won't mean much either, as long as you passed and meet the criteria for whatever trade you're applying for - your aptitude test matters more. I see questions like this a lot and it's kind of amusing. Don't kill yourself doing volunteer work and learning different languages to boost your application - it won't mean much. Meet the criteria for the trade you're applying to and you're good. Don't do drugs or have a criminal record and you're good.

I'd be more concerned about your depression than anything else you talked about to be honest.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Poor Transcripts & Work Experience
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2017, 16:52:52 »
Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Tips on how to become a recruit 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,31044.50.html
3 pages.

How can I increase my chances 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,97201.0/nowap.html

etc...

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of up to date information.

Good luck.
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline cwright

• Rate Post
Re: Academic transcripts - Questions [MERGED]
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2017, 16:56:18 »
Thanks, that gives me a little peace of mind. My concern came from a webpage stating this:

Applicants are assessed on the following attributes:

Academic Achievement;
Accepting Criticism;
Conformity to Rules;
Initiative;
Motivation towards the Canadian Forces;
Oral Communication;
Performance under Stress;
Perseverance;
Physical Endurance;
Team-work;
Learning Potential; and
Leadership Skills.
When assessing suitability for a particular occupation, military career counsellors will consider an applicant’s:

Motivation;
Work experience;
Education;

Occupation knowledge; and
Interests, likes and dislikes.

But maybe this is more important for Officer roles?

Edit: And thank you mariomike for the links, I'll check them out.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 16:59:18 by cwright »