Author Topic: Academic transcripts - Questions [MERGED]  (Read 35521 times)

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Academic transcripts - Questions [MERGED]
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2017, 17:00:49 »
And thank you mariomike for the links, I'll check them out.

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2017, 17:19:31 »
Thanks, that gives me a little peace of mind. My concern came from a webpage stating this:

But maybe this is more important for Officer roles?

Edit: And thank you mariomike for the links, I'll check them out.

As far as I know your merit listing position will be affected by education in terms of - Did you graduate high school? Yes? Great. If Jo Schmoe also applies and only has grade 10 then you will be placed higher. As far as languages go, it is important if you know French, as that will affect your career (in a positive way). If you are set on learning a language, learn French. Your employment history has no bearing. Both times I have been in the process for the Forces I had only been at my current job for a few months. You're worrying way too much, the forces needs bodies.

Edit by staff as requested.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 22:02:14 by kratz »
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline cwright

• Rate Post
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2017, 17:44:57 »
I could kiss you EpicBeardedMan, but don't worry, I won't.  8)

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2017, 17:56:13 »
I could kiss you EpicBeardedMan, but don't worry, I won't.  8)

No worries.  :threat:
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2017, 17:02:25 »
To be honest, volunteer work doesn't do much for your application (this may depend on what you are applying for, I have no clue about Officer trades). Your academics won't mean much either

Your employment history has no bearing.

Above statements need to be corrected as they are not entirely accurate.

If you're applying for a position like Infantry (Edit Note: I ONLY use Infantry because there is no civilian equivalent, so previous job experience doesn't help or hinder on the ability to be an Infanteer] , then no your employment has no bearing on the position.  However part of the interview process is determining if you'd be a good fit for a position. 

Assume the 3 people below are all applying for either Human Resource Admin or Financial Services Admin:

1) Take someone that has Office Administration in College and has been working in a Large Office doing payroll, etc for a large company.  They are assigned a score during the interview process.

2) Now lets take someone that has Office Administration in College but no work experience.  They are also assigned a score during the interview process, but not as high of a score.

3) Finally lets take someone fresh out of high school with no work experience.  They are are also given a score but no where near as high as #1 or #2.

Now comes the important part; there is only 1 position is remaining and all 3 score roughly the same on the CFAT & TSD - which one of those 3 do you think the offer will goto?  It will be #1 based on the interview score.

The above information isn't to scare you, it's to manage your expectations.  Part of joining the CAF is like any other job, there's an interview process.  And stating the CAF "needs bodies", last year there was over 40,000 applications for 4,000 (approx) positions.

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2017, 18:52:33 »
Above statements need to be corrected as they are not entirely accurate.

If you're applying for a position like Infantry (Edit Note: I ONLY use Infantry because there is no civilian equivalent, so previous job experience doesn't help or hinder on the ability to be an Infanteer] , then no your employment has no bearing on the position.  However part of the interview process is determining if you'd be a good fit for a position. 

Assume the 3 people below are all applying for either Human Resource Admin or Financial Services Admin:

1) Take someone that has Office Administration in College and has been working in a Large Office doing payroll, etc for a large company.  They are assigned a score during the interview process.

2) Now lets take someone that has Office Administration in College but no work experience.  They are also assigned a score during the interview process, but not as high of a score.

3) Finally lets take someone fresh out of high school with no work experience.  They are are also given a score but no where near as high as #1 or #2.

Now comes the important part; there is only 1 position is remaining and all 3 score roughly the same on the CFAT & TSD - which one of those 3 do you think the offer will goto?  It will be #1 based on the interview score.

The above information isn't to scare you, it's to manage your expectations.  Part of joining the CAF is like any other job, there's an interview process.  And stating the CAF "needs bodies", last year there was over 40,000 applications for 4,000 (approx) positions.

Buck is definitely the expert here, so this should be taken as gospel.

Buck, do you know how much volunteer work affects your application? Is it considered during your interview or application process in a way that affects your merit list position? Asking because I'm genuinely curious..I listed volunteer work on mine but unsure if it changes anything.

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2017, 22:43:28 »
Hello EpicBeardedMan,

Again like work it depends on how it relates to what you're wanting to do in the CAF.

1) some volunteer work is better than none (shows dedication), but whether you volunteer with 6 different places or 1, both show dedication
2) If you are want to join as a Fire Fighter and you're a volunteer Fire Fighter, looks REALLY good.  If you're wanting to be Military Police and you volunteer at your local pet shelter... meh (not an official example, but hopefully this gives the idea).

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2017, 23:03:31 »
Hello EpicBeardedMan,

Again like work it depends on how it relates to what you're wanting to do in the CAF.

1) some volunteer work is better than none (shows dedication), but whether you volunteer with 6 different places or 1, both show dedication
2) If you are want to join as a Fire Fighter and you're a volunteer Fire Fighter, looks REALLY good.  If you're wanting to be Military Police and you volunteer at your local pet shelter... meh (not an official example, but hopefully this gives the idea).

Yeah that actually makes sense, I see what you're saying.

Cheers!