Author Topic: Dog Tags  (Read 264241 times)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: dog tags
« Reply #275 on: January 23, 2006, 01:55:35 »
Make a reference to the eight numbered map coordinates. What idiot dreamed that one up? Most Infantrymen when in action  haven't a clue as to what the coordinates are they talk in terms such as "we left him about a quarte of a mile up the road by that second bunch of trees". Or "he was dead and we had to leave him about 50 yards to the left of that house we were attacking".

Hey, I'm just telling you what I thought. I figure that it has to do with when you're not in the firefight anymore, but you cannot continue with the mission while carrying a body.

Forgotten_Hero I think you should always know exactly where you are so when someone asks me for a grid reference I'll look to you and you'll have an answer for me ;)

I've actually spoke with Vietnam vets who've did the whole put the dogtags in their boots thing and they've also said they've put dog tags in dead soldiers mouths so they don't get lost (though it's far far less common apparently- lots of hollywood)
Thing is we're not in Vietnam. Chances are if you're blown up someone's going to know who you are and that your missing.   Pretty good chance someone's going to be able to identify your body too, you're not going to be some FNG just off the plane being thrown into a company.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline NL_engineer

• CHIMO
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #276 on: January 23, 2006, 13:19:04 »
For the dog tags in the boot: unless you are an engineer, you will probably step on a mine, making the dog tags in your boots useless (destroyed with your lower leg). I have hired that some of the older engineers had a se madet for there boot, in case there top half was blown off wile clearing mines.
Note to any Taliban and AQ personnel on the Form:  ALL SUICIDE VESTS AND EXPLOSIVE DEVICES MUST BE TESTED TO INSURE THEY WORK BEFORE GOING AFTER A TARGET.

This is a measure to save any embarrassment that may occur when your explosive device, does not function as it is intended to.

It has come to my attention that these measures are not being followed, so for all Taliban; please refer to the above.

Thank you for your cooperation

Offline Nero

• Rate Post
« Reply #277 on: January 23, 2006, 15:14:34 »
Forgotten_Hero I think you should always know exactly where you are so when someone asks me for a grid reference I'll look to you and you'll have an answer for me

Hey now, give me a map and I'll find out where I am or where I was, but I dont consciously calculate the exact grid location we're at... I've got too much responsibility as it is being the gunner AND being a pacer ;)

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #278 on: January 25, 2006, 06:37:27 »
My tag  ;D, my boot, and yes thats a brown snake, on the 10 deadliest in the world. He was sniffing around our sleeping area. Note the term 'was'.

Tags in boots is common here, as tags are plentyful from the QM. No big thing like it is back in Canada. Each main QM has its own 'addressograph' machine, so its easy as pie.

Cheers,

Wes
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #279 on: January 25, 2006, 08:04:20 »
Wes,
between the two sets of stainless and two sets of aluminium disks, I have more than enough to put tags on everything & anything.
Obtaining a new set of tags isn't all that complicated
Chimo!

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #280 on: January 25, 2006, 08:39:06 »

Do you know your Name, Svc #, blood type, and religion? Then all it takes is an email
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline dont.get.it.48

• Rate Post
« Reply #281 on: January 25, 2006, 13:40:38 »
do they take a blood test just to find out your blood type to put on the disk?
"It's not whether someone falls down, it's whether they get up"- unknown

It's not an obsestion, it's a pation-unknown

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #282 on: January 25, 2006, 13:45:45 »
By the time you finish your medicals, they will know a lot more about you than just your blood type.

Tom
"Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda."   - Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axeworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.

"I didn’t feel that it was an act of violence; you know, I felt that it was an act of liberation, that’s how I felt you know." - Ann Hansen, Canadian 'Urban Guerrilla'(one of the "Squamish Five")

Offline dont.get.it.48

• Rate Post
« Reply #283 on: January 25, 2006, 14:22:27 »
just leaving it to my imagination after saying it like that sounds kinda scary haha. It's one of those lines that are  writen in horror movies.
what els will they know?

Offline Nero

• Rate Post
« Reply #284 on: January 25, 2006, 15:00:23 »
what els will they know?

They'll know what you did last summer  :o

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #285 on: January 25, 2006, 15:49:45 »
Wes,
between the two sets of stainless and two sets of aluminium disks, I have more than enough to put tags on everything & anything.

I guess things have changed in the past 11 yrs, as it was done through the orderly room, and a message has to be raised and sent for a request for such through the CF system, then it took weeks for them to arrive. Even when it ws discovered I had the wrong blood type on mine, it took a while for a new set to come in, and for a new I Card pic to be taken, and weeks for the card to come in, as for I Cards here, you make an appt, with an authority to issue form, and poof, its ready in 5 minutes, as each base/post or main QM has its own I Card machine too.

As for CF tags, I have a few sets of the alloy ones and a few sets of the stainless ones, plus I had scrounged a couple sets of blank stainless ones too. All just keepsakes from my CF past now.

Cheers,

Wes
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #286 on: January 25, 2006, 15:49:59 »
They'll know what you did last summer  :o

and any of those nasty social diseases you may have picked up during said summer. Maybe they'll make an exception and put those on your tags as well  >:D
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline 3rd Herd

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Cave ab homine unius libri
« Reply #287 on: January 25, 2006, 16:09:31 »
As with everything else in the armed forces there are specific instructions for this somewhat ghoulish thread.
CFAO 24-5
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/024-05_e.asp
and
Convention (I) for the Amelioration of the Condition of the Wounded and Sick in Armed Forces in the Field. Geneva, 12 August 1949.
http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/COM/365-570021?OpenDocument

Choo
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 16:13:08 by 3rd Herd »
"if he was to be hanged for it, he told his brother, he could not accuse a man whom he believed had meant well, and whose error was one of judgment, not of intention"
Wellington

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #288 on: January 25, 2006, 16:27:09 »
Wes,
with the era of digital cameras, ICards are generated while you wait (didn't time it)
but you leave with it.

Disks are still ordered thru the OR - but as long as you have a clerk who is "alert" it doesn't take much time at all
Chimo!

Offline dont.get.it.48

• Rate Post
« Reply #289 on: January 25, 2006, 17:06:30 »
how long do dog tags date back? like when and where were they first invented and used?

Offline 3rd Herd

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Cave ab homine unius libri
« Reply #290 on: January 25, 2006, 17:42:46 »
Don't get it...............
Identity Discs

It was not until the Boer War of 1899 - 1902 that British soldiers started wearing regulation methods of personal identity and these were in the form of strips of tape.

The strips were supposedly carrier in tunic pockets; however, it seemed that soldiers being soldiers, the strips could end up being placed anywhere and more often than not, a detailed search had to be conducted of the seriously wounded and dead to locate them.

In 1906, each soldier was issued with a tin disc and given specific orders that it was to be worn around the neck.

By the Great War, soldiers were issued with two discs, one was round and coloured red, while the other was octagonal and coloured green.

The discs were stamped with the soldier’s name, religion and unit. The aim of the two colours was that the red tag was removed and attached to a small bag, carried by burial parties, containing the soldier’s personal belongings.

The tag’s dual purpose was to name the owner of the contents and assist in establishing a record of those killed. The green tag remained with the body for temporary burial, making the corpse identifiable when exhumed for proper burial later. (Legend has it that the two colours were to assist soldiers in remembering which tag went where: red, the colour of blood, was taken away indicating the owner was dead; while green, the colour of grass, was kept with the body).

Today, the Australian Army’s Personal Identification Tags are referred to as Number 1 Tag (the octagonal shaped disc) and Number 2 Tag (the circular disc). They are embossed with the title AUST, the soldier’s regimental number, initials and name, religion and blood group.

The circular tag is removed from the body and the octagonal tag should, given time, be placed inside the dead soldier’s mouth, between the teeth and lips.
http://www.defence.gov.au/army/traditions/documents/ID_Discs.htm

A Short History of Identification Tags

The Civil War provided the first recorded incident of American soldiers making an effort to ensure that their identities would be known should they die on the battlefield. Their methods were varied, and all were taken on a soldier's own initiative. In 1863, prior to the battle of Mine's Run in northern Virginia, General Meade's troops wrote their names and unit designations on paper tags and pinned them to their clothing. Many soldiers took great care to mark all their personal belongings. Some troops fashioned their own "ID" (identification) tags out of pieces of wood, boring a hole in one end so that they could be worn on a string around the neck.www.qmfound.com/ short_history_of_identification_tags.htm

"if he was to be hanged for it, he told his brother, he could not accuse a man whom he believed had meant well, and whose error was one of judgment, not of intention"
Wellington

Offline dont.get.it.48

• Rate Post
« Reply #291 on: January 25, 2006, 18:09:58 »
wow.. that's not too long ago sins they were invented. it's really interesting though.

I don't mean to get personal or for this question to be disrespectful. But have any of you had you had to take one of someones tag before, and how did you feel when you had to do it?

(if this is to personal or discrespectful I'm sorry. i don't mean to offend anyone)

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #292 on: January 25, 2006, 18:43:35 »
And I think with that question we can call this one a wrap. If there is a legitimate question, that has some sort of reason, other than morbid curiosity, address it to a Mod. We MAY reopen this.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline GD

• Rate Post
Dog Tags
« Reply #293 on: April 03, 2006, 16:57:07 »
Do reservists get issued dog tags?

Offline Kane

• Rate Post
Re: Dog Tags
« Reply #294 on: April 03, 2006, 16:58:18 »
Yes, reservists do get issued dog tags.

jmackenzie_15

« Reply #295 on: April 03, 2006, 17:21:56 »
They're called ID Discs.

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #296 on: April 03, 2006, 17:40:49 »
Question answered...topic locked.

Gents...back to your corners.

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline iCaz

• Rate Post
  • ▲▼▲▼▲
What are the choices of Religions for your ID Tags?
« Reply #297 on: May 22, 2006, 12:56:07 »
Hello all, thanks for reading this.

I've searched and can not find an answer to my minor question.  I have joined the Air Reserves and await the application process.  From my last military experience, during your BMQ, they ask you which religion you are and stamp it on your 'dog tags'.  Last time, I indicated that United was the closest thing, but I am curious:  Is there a 'none' option or 'other'?

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #298 on: May 22, 2006, 18:45:56 »
Didn't search very hard, did you?

From page 7 of this thread:

3.     The religious denomination of the member will be abbreviated as
follows:

Anglican ........................... ACC
Atheist, Agnostic, or no religion .. NRE
Baptist ............................ BAPT
Christian Science .................. CS
Greek Catholic ..................... GC
Greek Orthodox ..................... GO
Jewish ............................. JEW
Latter-Day Saints .................. LDS
Lutheran ........................... LUTH
Muslim ............................. MUS
New Apostolic Church ............... NAC
Other Protestant Denomination ...... OPD
Pentecostal ........................ PENT
Presbyterian ....................... PRES
Roman Catholic ..................... RC
Salvation Army ..................... SA
Unitarian Universalist ............. UNI
United Church ...................... UCC

4.     A member claiming a religious affiliation other than those shown above
will be classified Other Denomination (OD).

Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline CSA

• Rate Post
« Reply #299 on: May 25, 2006, 21:22:23 »
I hate to sound like an idiot but what does the "RH" mean on the tag

eg: O/RH/NEG

I have always been a little curious

sorry one again to sound like a moron!  :-[
fortuna beneficium temerarius (fortune favors the bold)