Author Topic: Performance Oriented Electronic Training (POET)  (Read 63769 times)

Offline cgyflames01

• Rate Post
Performance Oriented Electronic Training (POET)
« on: January 13, 2005, 06:56:42 »
I was looking at the trades I qualified for after taking my CFAT, and I noticed one of the trads is POET, moc #490. I cant find any information on this trade at all. Is it worth looking at??

Offline greener

• Rate Post
Re: POET #490
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 10:33:44 »
I think POET is the advanced electronics course that is part of some electronic and communications occupations. LCIS and ATIS for sure.
"There is no spoon." - Spoon Boy

Offline OLD F of S

• Rate Post
Re: POET #490
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 10:50:21 »
           POET 490 is a foundation course for a mulitude of trades both Air and Land as
most tech trades require a basic understanding of electronics. I was a POET instructor and later
a Standards writer for the course.

Regards OLD F of S

wern32

POET training for LCIS
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 19:02:26 »
Im going to start my POET training soon and Im trying to find out what the day to day routine is going to be like. 
In total Im going to be in Kingston for about a yr and a half and Im trying to find out if I can live off.  Ive been told that If you live in SQ, there's usually 4 to a room.  One of the LCIS in my unit now did it 8 yrs ago and said that he had to live on for a while but once the crse was in a steady routine they could move off but would still have to maintain a bed space in single quarters.

Any recent grads?

lostlittle1

Re: POET training for LCIS
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 19:28:38 »

you do not have to keep a bed space in the shacks if you have other places to live.  you can request to have your own place, it make take a month or more to get a memo approved but it happens all the time.  Mind you its expensive in comparison with R&Q. 

The routine for Poet is pretty simple.  you are marched off at 07:45.  In class for 08:00.  Frequent breaks, 2 admin days per week at which you are dismissed @ 10:30 and arrive in class for 13:00.  You have lots of time to stay after to get extra help if needed, you have a building set aside @ night for study hall (if you are not on compulsory study for 1 hour a night for getting less than 70% you can still go because it's really quiet and a great place to study.)  There is also Queens Univ  Down the road, the library is great for study time too.  You are done classes anywhere from 14:30 to 17:00 depending on the PO you are on.  If you are not in class your time is your own.  Most Fridays are parade days.  In the morning you have to either observe Grad parades participate in one or just have a practice parade.  The staff is EXCELLENT.  The instructors are for the most part EXCELLENT too. PT 1x per week as that is the only time they can get the RMC Gym to give them time for us.

The shacks do get noisy so don't plan on studying there too often if thats where you live.  There are also station job allotments (weekly) and take you all of 5 minutes to 30 minutes to do. 

Have fun in POET.  Try to request to live out of quarters ASAP when you arrive. ;)

wern32

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 19:44:32 »
How many people to a room? 

Offline Ex-fusilier

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 06:57:34 »
If they're still in BB6 in Kingston, it's usually 4 to a room

lostlittle1

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 17:13:57 »
yes it's still BB6 ;D

227representin

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 13:38:56 »
Hi everyone.   I finished the POET / LCIS last summer.   BB6 is still the residence / march off point.   If you can - GET THE HELL OUT OF SHACKS.   Too noisy to study, station jobs to clean up after the "children", room inspections - you can do without the additional Course Objectives and Career Knowledge.   You will be busy enough

Now that you are out of Shacks - use the time to study.   There is always on guy on your course who does math effortlessly.   Don't be afraid to approach them - pick their brain.   A lot of time, its not the material that is difficult, its the delivery of the material.   Some of the civy - contracted Callian instructors are really good, and will help you out every chance.   Others, well lets just say - have the instructional skills of a potted plant.   You'll will recognize them right away.   Really poor whiteboard work, read directly from the book, and no elaboration.

Good luck and take care.

If you do NOT understand a concept, do not be afraid to keep asking the same question until someone can put the answer in a manner that you can comprehend.   There is a lot to be said about   laymens terms.  

Offline KaptKain

• Man of many hats
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 23:39:07 »
I am here now in good Ol'BB6 on POET. Been here since early Jan. What the guys say above is pretty accurate. From the instructors being gods of powerpoint to the 5min weekly duties.
This course is not a walk in the park academically. Unless you are a natural at math and understanding concepts thrown at you day by day at the rate of 3 per hour minimum. Have an "open" mind to envelope the info and then study it in evening or weekend.
The shacks are not the best place to stay if you are "mature" and finished with the party days. It does stay loud at times. BUT, this is the best base I have stayed on yet for any course. The course staff are dedicated and will help you anyway they can.

The only points not mentioned above are:
-Every Wednesday is a closed locker room inspection with boots on the bed. There is the occasional Barracks open locker inspection. Not that often though.
-PT is more then once a week (Mon, Wed, Fri..wait parade drill is considered PT Friday :). Winter maybe not that often due to the weather. But summer jogs in the morning at least 3 times a week (We were told that from course staff)
THE REASON THAT THE CANADIAN ARMY DOES SO WELL IN WARTIME IS THAT WAR IS CHAOS, AND THE CANADIAN ARMY PRACTICE CHAOS ON A DAILY BASIS.
<GERMAN GENERAL OFFICER>

Offline adaminc

• Rate Post
Performance Oriented Electronic Training (POET)
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 04:10:59 »
I was wondering if anyone here would know if it is possible to find out what courses/subjects, and possibly get course/subject outlines, are taken when doing POET? I already have a diploma in Electronics so I will be skipping it, but I would like to know what I am skipping because there might be a subject that I do not know enough about, or maybe I should brush up on.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

Offline BYT Driver

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: POET Course
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 12:24:24 »
IIRC, POET is a highly condenced version of what you took in college or university or trade school...just time compressed to 6 months.  And a very high failure rate...  :-[   From what I've heard from techs, they haven't really used POET stuff since..  :blotto:
Hope this answered your question.    ::)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 12:49:51 »
I'll post the contents of the POET crse tomorrow when I am at work for you.
If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.

And brother, it's startin' to rain...

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 13:14:20 »
IIRC, POET is a highly condenced version of what you took in college or university or trade school...just time compressed to 6 months.  And a very high failure rate...  :-[   From what I've heard from techs, they haven't really used POET stuff since..  :blotto:

POET is not anywhere remotely equivalent to what is offered in college.  It's not just time condensed, it's content condensed as well - which is why POET isn't recognized by any of the provincial licensing bodies as sufficient training for certification as a Certified Electronics Engineering Technician (CTech).

In a nutshell, POET is basic electronics theory, AC/DC fundamentals, semiconductors, servos and synchros, etc.  If you're already certified (or able to be certified) by one of the provincial licensing bodies for CTech/CET, then there's absolutely nothing that you've missed by bypassing POET.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 13:19:56 by Occam »

Offline combatbuddha

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 19:24:54 »
Don't know what trade of techs you are referring. The techs I know and work with in the EO world use it alot more than you'd think. Mostly Ohms law, and some solid state and digital theory.
Quare intentio ut vos can pervenio
Why Plan When You Can React

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 09:57:58 »
Ok, from the CFSCE (Canadian Forces School of Communications and Electronics) Intranet/DIN site for the POET Course:

PO 001 - Perform Electronic Workshop Practices. This PO focuses on connecting electrical wires and cables; installing components on terminal boards; removing components on terminal boards; performing user maintenance on soldering equipment; maintaining a safe working environment; performing user maintenance on personal tools/tool kits, basic workshop tools, and equipment; and operating Personal Computers (PCs) to access publications, manuals, and references.

PO 002 - Verify the Operation of Direct Current (DC) Circuits. This PO focuses on performing user maintenance on multi-meters; analyzing electronic DC components and circuits; and testing electronic DC components and circuits.

PO 003 - Verify the Operation of Alternating Current (AC) Circuits. This PO focuses on performing user maintenance on oscilloscopes and signal generators; analyzing electronic AC components and circuits; and testing electronic AC components and circuits.

PO 004 - Isolate Faults in Electro-Mechanical Devices. This PO focuses on isolating faults on electrical motors; isolating faults in synchro systems; and isolating faults in servo systems.

PO 005 - Verify the Operation of Solid State Devices. This PO focuses on analyzing the following solid state devices: diodes, transistors, U nijunction Transistors (UJTs), thyristors, Field Effect Transistors (FETs), Silicon Controlled Rectifiers (SCRs), transducers, thermistors, photoresistors, Liquid Crystal Displays (LCDs), and photo-transistors; and testing the following solid state devices: diodes, transistors, U nijunction Transistors (UJTs), thyristors, Field Effect Transistors (FETs), Silicon Controlled Rectifiers (SCRs).

PO 006 - Isolate Faults in Power Supply Circuits. This PO focuses on analyzing and testing the following power supply circuits: converters, rectifiers, filters, regulators and transformers.

PO 007 - Isolate Faults in Amplifier Circuits. This PO focuses on analyzing and testing multistage amplifiers: common emitter, common collector, and common base; and analyzing and testing amplifier circuits: phase splitters, push pull amplifiers, complementary power amplifiers, Darlington Pairs, FET amplifiers, and Operational Amplifiers (Op Amp).

PO 008 - Isolate Faults in Oscillator Circuits. This PO focuses on performing user maintenance on frequency counters and pulse generators; analyzing and testing oscillators: Series Fed Hartley, Shunt Fed Colpits Fet, Wein-Bridge, Crystal and Voltage Controlled; and analyzing and testing multi-vibrator circuits: bi-stable, mono-stable, astable, Schmitt trigger and 555 timer.

PO 009 - Isolate Faults in Multistage Electronic Circuits. This PO focuses on performing user maintenance on wattmeters; analyzing multistage electronic circuits; and testing multistage electronic circuits.

PO 010 - Isolate Faults in Digital Circuits. This PO focuses on performing user maintenance on logic probes and logic analyzers; analyzing digital gates; analyzing digital circuits; and testing digital circuits.

PO 011 - Isolate Faults in Amplitude Modulation (AM) Circuits. This PO focuses on performing user maintenance on spectrum analyzer and dummy load; analyzing AM, SSB circuits, and transmission medium; and testing AM and SSB circuits.

PO 012 - Isolate Faults in Frequency Modulation (FM) Circuits. This PO focuses on performing user maintenance on deviation meter; analyzing Fm circuits and transmission media; and testing FM circuits.

Length of Course: 119 Training days.

*for the most part, the POs are taught over a 2 week period, 1 subject at a time.

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.

Offline adaminc

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 20:26:50 »
Thank you Eye In The Sky, I think I am more than proficient in all those subjects. But this at least will give me an idea on some things I can read up on if I ever feel the need.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 21:29:25 »
Thank you Eye In The Sky, I think I am more than proficient in all those subjects. But this at least will give me an idea on some things I can read up on if I ever feel the need.

I'm just a messenger....good luck with your career!  I hope you like the equipment course and the C & E life... :)

Offline BYT Driver

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 12:04:15 »
...Have a Greeaat CFSCE Day!!!        8)
That's all I remember these days...luckily I got back into my old trade! 
 :salute:

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 06:42:48 »
Don't know what trade of techs you are referring. The techs I know and work with in the EO world use it alot more than you'd think. Mostly Ohms law, and some solid state and digital theory.

Buddha,

POET isn't a trade. It's  Performance Orientated Electronics Training. When they first started it, IIRC, depending on how you did, you were shuffled into one of the (at that time) many C & E Tech trades (Rad Tech, Tel Tech, TE Tech, etc). Now, alot of different trades use it as a stepping stone prior to going on QL3 (ATIS, LCIS, EGS, etc).
“I thought I couldn't afford to take her out and smoke as well. So I gave up cigarettes. Then I took her out and one day I looked at her and thought: "Oh well," and I went back to smoking again, and that was better.” - Benny Hill
"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures” - Robin Williams
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.” - Miss Piggy

Offline combatbuddha

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 21:57:37 »
Buddha,

POET isn't a trade. It's  Performance Orientated Electronics Training. When they first started it, IIRC, depending on how you did, you were shuffled into one of the (at that time) many C & E Tech trades (Rad Tech, Tel Tech, TE Tech, etc). Now, alot of different trades use it as a stepping stone prior to going on QL3 (ATIS, LCIS, EGS, etc).

Duh. I took it, and the reply was to the other fella who stated that techs who took POET hadn't used it much since they completed the course.
Thank-you Mr non POET taking Rad Op, but you are also incorrect. To my knowledge EGS does not take POET. (EO used to be FCS takes POET)
I took Poet back when tubes was still being taught, when LCIS where actually Radio Techs (not parts changers), the airforce had 4 elelctronics trades (IE, IS, CRS and AWS) and the first trade you joined for FCS (now EO) was ELM.
 I use my poet knowledge in my job daily. Some days I use it more than others.
Thank-you for the input, you can go back to sleep now.

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 18:13:02 »
I stand corrected. I miss read your response. The way I read it was that you thought POET was a trade. My mistake.
“I thought I couldn't afford to take her out and smoke as well. So I gave up cigarettes. Then I took her out and one day I looked at her and thought: "Oh well," and I went back to smoking again, and that was better.” - Benny Hill
"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures” - Robin Williams
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.” - Miss Piggy

Offline combatbuddha

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 19:33:53 »
No worries Dude,

Offline RandomAVS

• Rate Post
POET in Kingston
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 18:09:12 »
Hey all,

Been a while since Ive been here but Ive had a few questions floating around.

Im heading to POET on March 5th and Ive been wondering if there is a March Break there. When I was in Greenwood on OJT they told me to burn all my leave because it was useless in Kingston. Any leave for such periods like March Break and Summer Leave were under Special Academic Leave.

Then I heard that March Break is from March 13 to the 22nd or so.

Does Kingston students get a March (Spring) Break or was it all a bunch of phooey?

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
Re: POET in Kingston
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 18:30:28 »
Seeing some of the administration coming out of CFSCE I wouldn't be surprised but contact CFSCE and make sure you are not bringing a crap load of leave with you with only two months left in the fiscal year.  March break in Ontario is the second week of March.
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.