Author Topic: Performance Oriented Electronic Training (POET)  (Read 95488 times)

Offline bigabe

• 00110 is binary for 'Glorified Welfare'
  • Rate Post
Re: Performance Oriented Electronic Training (POET)
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2010, 07:25:29 »
You bet... and when I was there, you're either on one or spectating one about every 2-3 weeks or so for all the other poet courses.  This usually entails 2 morning drill practices, then the real deal. 

PARADE oriented Electronics Training.  :)
Clever Signature.

Offline Tango18A

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2010, 18:45:52 »
It hasn't changed since I was on POET 93-94.

Offline guthix732

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2010, 03:39:22 »
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Offline paratoavs

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2010, 22:21:47 »
Hi there,
I am a currently doing an occupational transfer from infantry to AVS.  I know its a huge leap but I find I am good in the electronic world and would like to pursue a career in it.  Anyways I have three months before my course starts in borden and since I have been out of the school game for quite a bit I was wondering if anybody could recomend and books or maybe subjects to focus on to help prepare me for this course.  Any info is greatly appreciated.

Offline OkanaganHeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2010, 02:24:51 »
First you are going to want to brush up on math, there can be quite a bit involved when dealing with all of the theory. If you get into AM and FM you will want to have an idea of how trigonometry works especially with respect to sine waves and their characteristics. You may also want to get books on electronic and electric theory. You will have modules for DC, AC, Oscillators, and many other pieces of core knowledge.  I had taken POET out of high school with limited electronic knowledge and the pace of the information is fast but doable. Unfortunately all of the books I have are from when I took an Electronic Engineering Technology diploma program.

Offline BYT Driver

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2010, 08:44:46 »
Brush up on math, lots of math.
Read everything you can on electronics theory, AC/DC (not the band!) AM/FM, syncro-servo, AMPLIFIERS~~~that seems to be the wall.
Take it from me who was unsuccessful in completing the course twice.  Usually, if you can get thru Amps, the rest is downhill.
Oh, and if you're still working on base, visit or get some OJT at WTIS or the COMM Sqdn, or hanger....talk to any Jimmy about POET...it's a 2 year college course squeezed into a six month time frame complete with military inspections and parades!!!
Have fun and good luck with that...probably see you over here in 10 hanger <<if it still stands>>
 :blotto:

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2010, 09:11:54 »
talk to any Jimmy about POET...it's a 2 year college course squeezed into a six month time frame complete with military inspections and parades!!!

Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration.  There is an awful lot of material that a C.Tech does during their two year college program that POET doesn't even touch, or doesn't cover in the same amount of depth.  It's still a difficult course, though, requiring a lot of effort.

Offline BYT Driver

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2010, 09:27:30 »
Thanks for the correction Occam, I know there is a ton of info to cram into little heads in little time.  My favourite saying was >>"welcome to PO 40?, Syncro-servo...we are 2 days behind schedule!!! so listen up" 
How can you compete with that type of intelligence???  And scheduling???
Regards, BYTD

Offline Task

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2010, 12:05:18 »
IMO I would concentrate on math, specifically Trig. Maybe dabble a bit in boolean algebra (It is difficult to grasp for some <me>) so the learning curve will not be as sharp. Math will be involved in every PO from POET to the completion of your QL3.

As for reading electronics ahead of time I would not "study" it but use it as general info to peak your own interest. The material changes from PO to PO and so does it's depth so trying to figure out what will be required will be difficult ahead of time. But math is guaranteed.

Offline Kat Stevens

Quando omni flunkus moritati.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2010, 12:17:43 »
I would concentrate on the sonnets.  also get a good understanding of iambic pentameter, along with rhythm and rhyme.  At least a basic familiarity of haiku structure is adviseable.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2010, 13:44:05 »
Jeez guys ratch it down a notch will ya.
As an ex POET instructor I don't remember it as being that difficult. A good grade twelve level math is more than adequate for the course.
As for studying extra stuff perhaps reading general electronic material wouldn't hurt, but remember the course is there to teach you that stuff.
I think the biggest thing when you start on course is getting back in the academic grove. Just as some trades exercise and develop your physical skills POET and similar courses require you to exercise your mental strength.
So on that theme any general reading up on POET topic will help familiarize you with the topic and get you into thinking along academic lines.
Bottom line the military wants you to be a success at this course. If you put a good effort in most people can and do pass.
Of course only to go onto trades training requiring more studying.  ;D
Oh ya I just remembered, before I was an instructor I taught a POET prep package that reviewed math. Perhaps some electronics techs can give you a lead on where to find such an item.
I remustered to Avionics and enjoyed the job and the people.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2010, 14:15:46 »
At least a basic familiarity of haiku structure is adviseable.

Remember Ohm's Law
I equals E over R
P equals EI

That's as good as electronics haiku gets...   8)

Offline Tango18A

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2010, 14:39:07 »
As an ex POET instructor I don't remember it as being that difficult.

I don't remember my instructors being all that knowledgeable when the instructors notes weren't available. insulting the students intelligence by reading out loud from the students handbook for Solid State was a pathetic attempt at instruction. POET can be quite difficult if you spend too much time not learning the theory. The biggest thing to work on is learning how the formulas work. Once you start to understand them, remembering them becomes much easier.

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2010, 17:32:41 »
I don't remember my instructors being all that knowledgeable when the instructors notes weren't available. insulting the students intelligence by reading out loud from the students handbook for Solid State was a pathetic attempt at instruction. POET can be quite difficult if you spend too much time not learning the theory. The biggest thing to work on is learning how the formulas work. Once you start to understand them, remembering them becomes much easier.

Tango18A believe me as a CT to electronics, similar to you I believe, my post was in the context of the previous comments in the tread that were, I thought, over the top and possibly making POET out to be more difficult than I feel it is.
A smart determined individual can find POET challenging but a challenge most of us are quit capable of mastering.

Offline Tango18A

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2010, 18:10:49 »
As long as you keep the drinking to the night after the POs. As I'm sure we both did.

Offline paratoavs

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2010, 21:07:00 »
Thanks for your responses.  They have given me some comfort in preparing for this course.  Today I picked up a Physics review book that focuses on AC/DC material as well as a trig for dummies book that will help me remember what I use to know from highschool.  Again thanks

Offline vignes

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2010, 22:06:04 »
NO more Parade  in POET any more...

WHY? New CO

Offline Tango18A

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2010, 23:14:48 »
Nope, I bet that it has more to do with CTC trying to bring the course under 100 training days.

Offline Fizzik

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2011, 19:50:07 »
I have a question in regard to completion of my POET course and currently on the ACISS DP1.0. What does POET become equivalent too towards the sub-occ CST and what am I able to bypass or skip some of? If any at all?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 20:52:55 by Fizzik »

MikeL

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2011, 20:46:55 »
I would assume that POET would not let you bypass/skip anything on ACISS DP1.  DP1 AFAIK trains you to be a very basic basic level Rad Op, and that is not taught on POET.

Offline Fizzik

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2011, 20:49:15 »
That is not entirely what I meant.. I meant training after the DP1.0 towards CST. Original post was poorly worded.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 20:53:58 by Fizzik »

MikeL

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2011, 20:52:08 »
That is not entirely what I meant.. I meant prior training after the DP1.0 towards CST.

You phrased that weird.. do you mean what does POET do for you after you have completed DP1 and await your CST training?  Not to be a dick, but you tell us once you are done everything. ACISS is brand new, and a lot of the finer details are still being worked up.  Plus you are at CFSCE right now, have you talked to your course staff about it? I don't know the TP for CST, someone else may or have more info on it.

Seriously though, when you are out of the training system, post up a small write up on the new training system and how it is working out for all the new people coming straight into ACISS.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:11:13 by -Skeletor- »

Offline Fizzik

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2011, 20:57:47 »
I've tried asking but nobody seems to know. Just thought maybe I, could try my luck here. I thought there would be no harm in trying. Since there seems to be a broader view on the trades and ACISS on the forums.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2011, 20:58:02 »
Its called FET = Fundamental Electronics Training. I believe its shorter than the original, but not by much.

Offline Fizzik

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2011, 21:00:16 »
Do you know if it is considered the CSS 1.1 or is that part of the CST2.1 training?