Author Topic: The Army and Rugby  (Read 68011 times)

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
Re: The Army and Rugby
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2007, 17:35:28 »
An update from the 1 VP RFC:

We are now practicing 3 times a week, and have 30 players coming out.  1 CER has agreed to play us on 27 June, although given that they are Engineers, I will probably wait until the 26th to tell them that it is not no-contact.

Rugby is alive and well in the Army of the West.

Dave
Third String Second Row
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline bruce7711

• Captains and Corporals...both have their uses
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2007, 20:31:24 »
I thought it was second string second row...must have been that knock I gave ya in practice.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2007, 21:27:25 »
no contact rugby?
naw

now that's just downright sad & I don't believe it for a minute that 1 CER is at the bottom of this one.
Chimo!

Online MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2007, 23:08:31 »
I thought it was second string second row...must have been that knock I gave ya in practice.

Oh the one practice you made it too bud?  Next you'll try and give the excuse that you were traveling for missing all last week of practices. :)
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline bruce7711

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2007, 23:11:26 »
And I leave again tomorrow  for a few days.  At least I got guys like you there, I think.  COme on dude, stop busting my balls, Bill already near killed me this morning.  More scuffs on my knees than you after a friday night on 116th Ave.

Kiwi

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2007, 23:51:36 »

You are right - it really hurt when your knees hit my chest and your chin hit my back as I folded you in two like a bizarre origami project...
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Digger Hale

• Rate Post
  • Striving for Mediocracy in a world of Excellance
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2007, 04:00:29 »
You are right - it really hurt when your knees hit my chest and your chin hit my back as I folded you in two like a bizarre origami project...

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Doesnt even throw the dummy in there, just drops the shoulder and drives. "That ones gotta hurt!"
"Then imitate the actions of the tiger, stiffen the sinews, conjure up the blood...
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath, and bend up every spirit to his full height..."

Offline Trakalo

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2007, 05:47:07 »
How many people here play Rugby at the local club level?  I just started.

I play 3rd division for the Velox Valhallians in Victoria, BC.

What clubs do you belong to?

Here we go........
I'm just finishing up my second season for my highschool (Belmont) Team. and will also be playing 3rd's for the Valhallians in the Fall.
  Jaydub, i take it as you prolly know Johnny Lyle?  Hahaha (he's one of my teachers ;D)

So 1st and 2nd Battalions both have teams? but not the 3rd?
By this time next year I'll be there, and now i know the first thing I'm looking for ;)
                                                                                                                      .......A Sign-up sheet ;D
"Rugby: It is seen by a few, as a Vicious fighting game with an egg. Of course, these people will be taken and shot. Many, many Times......."

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2007, 12:08:55 »
Hale,

The key thing about Rugby is that you know that, for the most part, the hit you're giving will hurt you just about as much as it will hurt him.... no pads & fiberglass to soften the hit on your side or to magnify the hit to him.........

It's great when you both hobble away together & the end of the match.
Chimo!

Offline Yeoman

• I have to wear pants?!?
  • Rate Post
  • land of misfit toys
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2007, 18:30:42 »
lets just establish that 3RCR is going to win the base championship this year due to sheer awesomeness
Be normal and the crowd accepts you, be deranged and they will make you their leader.

Offline Digger Hale

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2007, 02:47:24 »
Geo, i totally agree. In my view American football is soft, we dont play that game here and hopefully we never will. Australia is a Rugby (As witnessed by our World Cup victories and upcoming victory in the next one) and Australian Rules Football country. We dont play games that involve more padding then they involve bodies. We play games that dont involve what amounts to a second team sitting on the bench. You play forward but you also have to be able to play back. You score tries and you lay tackles. You tag a bloke but you also kick goals (Aussie rules footy). None of this "side change" crap. You have to be adaptable. Its like life, things always change and a good Rugby player can adapt to that easily, quickly and with aggression.
Theres nothing like feeling your shoulder drive into someones stomach, wrap your arms around their waist and drive them into the ground. Theres nothing like forming a rolling mall and doing just that, rolling over anything that gets in your way. I've got scars on my chest from being rucked, you dont get that in American football thats for sure. Feeling 800kg pushing against you in a scrum, but know that you'll push it back. Thats what its all about!

Rugby is, as the great saying goes, the game they play in heaven. The most protection you'll ever need can't be more then 1cm thick on your shoulders. Not reinforced steel 3inches thick that covers your entire upper body.
"Then imitate the actions of the tiger, stiffen the sinews, conjure up the blood...

Offline cobbler

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2007, 05:02:42 »
Geo, i totally agree. In my view American football is soft, we dont play that game here and hopefully we never will. Australia is a Rugby (As witnessed by our World Cup victories and upcoming victory in the next one) and Australian Rules Football country. We dont play games that involve more padding then they involve bodies. We play games that dont involve what amounts to a second team sitting on the bench. You play forward but you also have to be able to play back. You score tries and you lay tackles. You tag a bloke but you also kick goals (Aussie rules footy). None of this "side change" crap. You have to be adaptable. Its like life, things always change and a good Rugby player can adapt to that easily, quickly and with aggression.
Theres nothing like feeling your shoulder drive into someones stomach, wrap your arms around their waist and drive them into the ground. Theres nothing like forming a rolling mall and doing just that, rolling over anything that gets in your way. I've got scars on my chest from being rucked, you dont get that in American football thats for sure. Feeling 800kg pushing against you in a scrum, but know that you'll push it back. Thats what its all about!

Rugby is, as the great saying goes, the game they play in heaven. The most protection you'll ever need can't be more then 1cm thick on your shoulders. Not reinforced steel 3inches thick that covers your entire upper body.

Maybe for a football code that is true. But for alot of sports padding is necessary.

Like cricket, and we love that.

And lacrosse, as much as I love the game I would not play unless i had a little padding and a helmet to protect me from the titanium poles that ugly defeners like to whack me with.

Offline Digger Hale

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2007, 09:45:29 »
I agree a little padding is necessary, that's why i said sports that "involve more padding then they involve bodies" aren't big in Australia. American Footballers wear HUGE shoulder pads and thick helmets, a rugby helmet is only a centimetre or two thick and shoulder pads are about the same. Cricket, you wear pads, gloves, a box, maybe a thighpad and a helmet but your still basically a human body with your torso to get bruised. Lacrosse, you'd be mad not to wear something to save yourself.
Paddings necessary, absolutely. I said that in my post. To much of a good thing is definitely bad though.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2007, 17:23:44 »
rugbyhelmet?

Heh - scrum cap..... just to keep the hair & ears in place...

WRT Lacrosse.... Yikes!.... pads are necessary there - buit consider the ball & sticks.... Essential!

WRT Cricket?..... Yawn! - about as interesting as watching paint dry!   >:D
Chimo!

Offline bruce7711

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2007, 18:01:34 »
Oi, watch the cricket comments.  Not our problem Canadians have difficulty picking it up, eh.  Stick to a nice girly sport like hockey, and leave the violent sports like cricket to us crims from down under.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2007, 19:13:26 »
Heh... meet ya in the scrum  >:D
Chimo!

Offline hooky

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2007, 19:31:21 »
Oh Dear! :boring:
The SENIOR service has been playing Union since forever. Need some players or some expertise? GO NAVY!

hooky  ;D
Those who open the doors to the future, are seldom called upon to furnish the rooms beyond...Voltaire

Offline Not_So_Arty_Newbie

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2007, 20:01:07 »
I played with JBAA until I broke my ankle a few years back

Online MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2007, 20:04:32 »
Hope is not a valid COA

R031button

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2007, 20:19:54 »
haha, that's random I'm in about half of those pictures. Can't make practice tomorrow though, stupid early timings.

Offline hooky

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2007, 20:40:00 »
A wee story if I might!

During a visit to Thailand back in the early 70's our ships rugby team was tasked to play the RTN officer cadet rugby team. Well consider a bunch of 17-19 year old Thais playing a bunch of beery old Canadian sailors in the tropics. We were getting walloped (suprised? :)). During a break in the game a mate of mine sat down next to me and he was absolutely knackered. I said to Dusty Miller "how is it going"? and he replied, between pants: "If I catch that little son of a ***** (No. 17) I will sit on him and kill him"!
Right after he spoke a bunch of staff cars showed up at the pitch and out climbed several metric tonnes of Royal Thai Navy Braid and our skipper and his flunkey.
The skipper came over and congratulated us for such a valiant effort (officer speak for getting the crap thumped out of us) and then he suprised us by saying that he wasnt terribly concerned if we didnt win. He paused for effect and then said " One of the officer cadets your playing against is ...the crown prince of Thailand"! His number? yep you guessed it ...No. 17. I turned and looked at Petty Officer Miller and got the sickest smile I have ever seen. :-\

Hooky
Those who open the doors to the future, are seldom called upon to furnish the rooms beyond...Voltaire

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2007, 23:02:35 »
haha, that's random I'm in about half of those pictures. Can't make practice tomorrow though, stupid early timings.

Don't tell my wife but my back is feeling better, so I should be out tomorrow morning.

Dave

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline bruce7711

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2007, 23:13:45 »
This rugby thing is going great, with lots of participation and interest.  Well done Dave.  But I think we, the Bde, should partner it up with an inter unit cricket comp.  Bloody marvellous game, and a nice break from rugger on those really hot days.  What say you?

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2007, 23:17:46 »
This rugby thing is going great, with lots of participation and interest.  Well done Dave. 

Let's see if it lasts...although if we play one game of military rugby on the base this year, I will have achieved my aim.  BTW, we have a practice with St Albert next week to tune us up for the game on the 27th.

But I think we, the Bde, should partner it up with an inter unit cricket comp.  Bloody marvellous game, and a nice break from rugger on those really hot days.  What say you?

:-X

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2007, 18:59:58 »
33 players from most Edm based units (25 of them from 1 VP) played 80 minutes of rugby today.  A huge success.  Beer for the spectators (lots of them - CO 1 VP made it a Bn pde), lots of good rugby, few injuries.  Overall, a success - rugby is back in edm Garrison.

I hurt in places I forgot I had - I will be 45 in a few weeks, and played all but 5 mins.  That is why they invented beer....

Well done to all that came out.  More rugby in August.

Dave

Karl von Clausewitz