Author Topic: The Army and Rugby  (Read 71099 times)

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
Re: The Army and Rugby
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2007, 04:27:14 »
Overall, a success - rugby is back in edm Garrison.

That is awesome to hear! Especially when It looks like I'm getting posted to Edmonton around the tail end of summer!

I can't wait to get back into some Rugger!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 06:42:08 by Sig_Des »
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Slimjim

• Rate Post
  • Boom!
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2007, 09:12:14 »
I only wish I could be so lucky. Here in Valcartier we have no military rugby team. As a matter of fact in Quebec city there is only one rugby club, I play with them and last year I played with the Quebec provincial team, I am not playing this year however due to my upcoming tour. Rugby is not near as big in the east as it is in Alberta and BC.

Chimo!

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2007, 09:40:44 »
Slimjim,
When I 1st started playing rugby in Quebec, there were +/- 8 groups that fielded 1 or 2 teams apiece.
Just visited the Quebec Rugby union web site - currently +/- 60 teams going at present....

It's a sport that is still developing ....
Chimo!

Offline Slimjim

• Rate Post
  • Boom!
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2007, 07:22:18 »
geo,
I understand and I know that there are many team in the Province of Quebec, however I am talking about Quebec City. At this moment there is just CRQ (Club Rugby Quebec) in Quebec city, we have to travel to Montreal and cities around Montreal to play, or even down to Ottawa, even as far as Kingston, yes there are lots of teams to play against, however its the traveling that is no fun...

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2007, 09:07:41 »
100% in agreement with you Slim
Oddly, I think that the revival of Canadian Football within the Franco community has delayed the adoption of Rugby within the school athletic program.  10 -15 yewars ago, football was dead in Quebec - Alouettes included.  Larry Smith and his friends borrowed a page from Saskatchewan's grass roots support of their team when they brought back the Als.  Collegiate football was limited to the anglo universities back then..... now all Franco universities have their football teams - fed by a CEGEP program - fed by a High School program.

One success at the cost of another.
Chimo!

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2007, 16:08:31 »
PPCLI Guy et all in Edmonton;

Do you know if anyone is looking at getting a base rugby league going again in the following year?

I've been gauging interest in my unit, and we have a handful that have played before, and a bunch who haven't but show an interest.

If it's going to happen, I'd be interested in possibly setting up a team.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2007, 22:58:31 »
First off, 1 VP is hosting a Snow Sevens Tournament on the weekend of 17/18 Feb.  It will be both military and civilian, Rugby Rons and Rugby Rhondas.  I am trying to get a Garrison team together, but may have missed the deadline - more to follow.  At the very least, we will try and put together a "Test Side" to play the ARU 3rds or 2nds.

PM me your work coordinates and I will have the 1 VP Rugby OPIs get hold of you.

Dave
Third String Second Row on the First Battalion team
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2007, 23:07:43 »
First off, 1 VP is hosting a Snow Sevens Tournament on the weekend of 17/18 Feb.  It will be both military and civilian, Rugby Rons and Rugby Rhondas.  I am trying to get a Garrison team together, but may have missed the deadline - more to follow.  At the very least, we will try and put together a "Test Side" to play the ARU 3rds or 2nds.

PM me your work coordinates and I will have the 1 VP Rugby OPIs get hold of you.

Dave
Third String Second Row on the First Battalion team

Sounds good. PM Inbound.

Des

Fast skinny guy aka. Wing

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2007, 23:09:29 »

Des

Fast skinny guy aka. Wing

Old slow guy who used to be fast - but I am super mean, and big like house.
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2007, 12:43:48 »
Old slow guy who used to be fast - but I am super mean, and big like house.

Ummm.... isn't that supposed to be a Prop?
Chimo!

Offline Kat Stevens

Quando omni flunkus moritati.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2007, 13:01:08 »
nope, props are short and wide, second rowers slightly taller and less wide, #8 is a two story brick crap house.  Locks are just plain mean, fast and hard,  here endeth Introduction to Forward Pack Anatomy 101... ;D
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2007, 13:37:13 »
short and squat?..... I don't resemble that!
Chimo!

Offline Kat Stevens

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2007, 14:49:21 »
The front three should resemble three pit ponies lined up at a fence rail... about the same combined IQs as well.

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Shamrock

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2007, 14:51:17 »
As the fence or the ponies?

Offline Kat Stevens

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2007, 14:52:06 »
Same/same

Offline Big_Rifleman

• Rate Post
  • Something, something... Dark Side.
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2007, 15:15:06 »
And if they have a nose that's made of glass...

fuggedabboddit.

After 80 min, they'll bleed like sieves and snore like champs...
I don't know what's scarier.  The fact that you lost a nuclear weapon, or that it happens so often you have a code word for it.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2007, 10:18:56 »
Short & squat hooker?.... nah!

WRT Props being like pit ponies?.... yeah - OK, I can live with that
Chimo!

Offline Kat Stevens

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2007, 10:32:12 »
Short is a relative term. When you have a #8 at around the 6'6 mark, short comes in at around the 6' area.  but I'm probably wrong...

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2007, 10:48:47 »
nope.... 6'1".... right on the money....  The hooker was light(er) and a couple of inches shorter - the better to have some dangle room ...

Then again, you probably know Rugby more than I do :)
Chimo!

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2007, 11:12:50 »
6'4" and 225.  I play 2nd row on experienced teams, and #8 on less experienced teams.

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline bruce7711

• Captains and Corporals...both have their uses
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2007, 15:19:38 »
Define experianced?  Or should that read on 'seniors teame'?   Damn, now he is gonna work me on the pitch!!!  Thank God for crse in Gagetown.

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
Re: The Army and Rugby - Snow Sevens Tornament 16 Feb
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2008, 15:00:53 »
1 VP will be hosting a Social Snow Sevens Rugby Tournament at CFB Edmonton at the Rugby Pitch just south of the 1 VP lines on 16 Feb 08

The event will be very low-key, and will stress the social side of the game as well as its other obvious manly attributes.  All Edmonton Area units have been invited to submit a team (or even two) of 7-10 players, male or female (all must be serving members).  Team report in (and opening of the bar) will occur at 0900 hrs on the 16th.  We will play throughout the day, with the finals concluded by 1600 hrs.  The bar will be open throughout the tournament in order to accentuate the social side of the event.  A post tourney bash will then crack on until the wee hours.

All that teams require are jerseys of some sort (hockey is fine), warm clothes, and cash for the bar.  A warming tent / change tent / bar tent will be provided.  There is no registration fee.  Bring balls (of the rugby variety) if you have them - otherwise the First Battalion will provide.  Spectators are encouraged to attend.

The intent of this tournament is to provide an opportunity for military rugby players to get out and have a bit of a fun.  Hopefully, this will be the genesis of a Garrison Rugby Team that can compete in the Edmonton Rugby Union in the summer.

So far Sigs and Svc Bn have committed to providing a team - for all of the rest of you, your COs and Ops O all received a version of the above message, but the word doesn't seem to be gatting out. 

Ready to answer all questions.

Dave

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2008, 18:51:45 »
Indeed, Sigs will be providing a team for sure, and very possibly 2 now, as I have numerous names.

Here's a question for you. We only have a handful of experienced players. Would we be able to sub between the two teams?

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2008, 23:24:46 »
Sure - if you wish.  We are trying to put in 3 teams, and trust me - the third team (I am on it as the token experienced guy) ain't that hot!  This is not about winning (as much as it pains me to say) - this is about playing rugby, with Army guys (and gals - our 2nd team is captained by a female maintainer), and hence enhancing the whole Army lifestyle.

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2008, 01:23:26 »
And maybe, just maybe, garnering some interest in a Garrison team?  ;)