Author Topic: Public Service Health Care Plan PSHCP [Merged]  (Read 70256 times)

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Public Service Health Care Plan PSHCP [Merged]
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2012, 11:15:15 »
So basically this guy's wife is paying $60 a month for benefits with her employer and if he has her covered through the CF instead she will be paying $4.00 a month?

He'll be paying $4.00 off his pay, correct.

You have to remember that as dapaterson has mentioned, there are some circumstances under which it would be worthwhile for the member to get PSHCP, and his spouse to continue paying for her coverage through her own employer.  If you have a dependent who has expensive medication, or requires lots of medical practitioner expenses, then you'd have to crunch the numbers to determine if coordination of benefits makes it worthwhile for the spouse to continue paying the $60/mo through her employer.  There are certainly some families out there that would find this beneficial.

To expand on that:  You submit a drug claim through PSHCP for $100.  They pay for $80 out of that.  Under coordination of benefits, you can submit the remaining $20 under the spouse's coverage.  If your medical expenses are high enough such that the amounts transferred to the spouse's claims exceed $720/year, then it's worthwhile to maintain coverage through both employers.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:18:51 by Occam »

Online exgunnertdo

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2012, 12:22:17 »
The other thing to consider is that as HER spouse, he can claim under her plan, but not on PSHCP.  There are things that he could claim (contact lenses and prescription sunglasses come to mind) that we can't get through our medical system.  There are probably others, chiropractic, I think?

Another thing to consider is dental - if her plan is both medical and dental, and they have kids who may need braces, he needs to look at that too.  There is often a lengthy wait time for braces if she opts back in later upon discovering someone needs braces (a couple of years).  Our coverage for orthodontics is 50%, and I forget the lifetime max, but it is used up very quickly in today's costs.  Her plan can cover the remaining 50%, and they would get her lifetime maximum too.
"Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . ."
"God fights on the side with the best artillery"
- Napoleon

Offline Neolithium

• Level 85 CADPAT Paladin...
  • Rate Post
  • Last time I signed something I woke up in the army
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2012, 12:40:08 »
Thanks for the links as well everyone, I think I may have to go visit my clerks for clarification because unless I'm really reading my pay stubs wrong it looks like my PSHCP deductions are $112 a month.
"If A is a success in life, then A = X+Y+Z. Work is X, Y is play and Z is keeping your mouth shut."
-Albert Einstein

"If firefighters fight fire, and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?"
-George Carlin

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2012, 14:12:56 »
Thanks for the links as well everyone, I think I may have to go visit my clerks for clarification because unless I'm really reading my pay stubs wrong it looks like my PSHCP deductions are $112 a month.

In Block K of your pay statement under Medical Insurance Plans ------>  http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/ps/pay-sol/dmp-dts/psd-des/doc/dps-des.pdf

One thing I have noticed over the years is people being posted out of BC and the BC Med deductions not being ceased.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2012, 14:18:32 »

I think you're reading your pay stubs incorrectly.

If you look at the "Pay Deductions" box, there should be a box there called "Medical Insurance Plans".  You should see an amount in there for PSHCP (in my case, $4.00 for Level III coverage).

Don't look at the "Transaction Details" box, as there may be an amount there called "NON TAXABLE FRINGE BENEFITS MONTHLY/YEARLY", where you'll see an amount for PSHCP.  That's the employer-contributed amount of the premiums.

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2012, 15:52:26 »
To expand on that:  You submit a drug claim through PSHCP for $100.  They pay for $80 out of that.  Under coordination of benefits, you can submit the remaining $20 under the spouse's coverage.  If your medical expenses are high enough such that the amounts transferred to the spouse's claims exceed $720/year, then it's worthwhile to maintain coverage through both employers.

This is true, except that under PSHCP, you have to submit the claims through the spouse's plan first, then submit a claim for the remainder. Of the remainder, you will still likely only get 80% covered. On things like prescriptions and glasses, it is not possible to get 100% of the money back (unless the spouse' s plan covers everything).

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2012, 15:57:29 »
This is true, except that under PSHCP, you have to submit the claims through the spouse's plan first, then submit a claim for the remainder.

Ah, I knew there was an order they were submitted in, but I took a 50/50 chance and blew it.  Thanks for the correction.

Offline Neolithium

• Level 85 CADPAT Paladin...
  • Rate Post
  • Last time I signed something I woke up in the army
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2012, 15:04:29 »
I think you're reading your pay stubs incorrectly.

If you look at the "Pay Deductions" box, there should be a box there called "Medical Insurance Plans".  You should see an amount in there for PSHCP (in my case, $4.00 for Level III coverage).

Don't look at the "Transaction Details" box, as there may be an amount there called "NON TAXABLE FRINGE BENEFITS MONTHLY/YEARLY", where you'll see an amount for PSHCP.  That's the employer-contributed amount of the premiums.

Thank you kindly for the correction.  I was way off in how I was reading it and your info helped clear it up nicely.
"If A is a success in life, then A = X+Y+Z. Work is X, Y is play and Z is keeping your mouth shut."
-Albert Einstein

"If firefighters fight fire, and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?"
-George Carlin

Offline HULK_011

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2013, 12:24:04 »
I was just told by someone that they had their PSHCP premium's claimed as medical expense. In the army, doesnt the army pay for the PSHCP? And if they pay, how can we deduct it...

Offline my72jeep

• It is the duty of all canadians to be prepared to defend thier country
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2013, 12:33:50 »
some of us pay our own premium's
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline HULK_011

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2013, 12:34:39 »
Im talking specifically Regular Force members. In class that wasnt already evident.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2013, 12:40:39 »
If I understand what you're asking, then yes, the CF pays that for you.  I believe you can change the coverage, but the extra cost is yours.  Claiming insurance as a medical expense?  Not sure that's allowed.....
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline HULK_011

• Rate Post

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2013, 12:53:08 »
I wouldn't consider an online forum much of a reference. 

Here's a better one: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/it339r2/it339r2-e.txt

And "Your total expenses must be more than either 3% of your net income or $2,024, whichever is less."  http://support.intuit.ca/turbotax/en-ca/iq/Medical-Expenses/INF15068.html
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline HULK_011

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2013, 12:56:06 »
Didnt consider it as definitive reference, just a signal flare. Ill look into that one thanks!

Everyone is filing taxes right now; figured this must have wrung a bell with someone. I know I didnt claim it.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2013, 13:04:29 »
Employer-paid premiums are not claimable unless they are included in your taxable income. 

However, I believe premiums paid by an individual are claimable as medical expenses, provided the total medical expenses exceed the minimum thresholds.  For CF members, basic PSHCP premiums are employer-paid and not included in your taxable income.  If you opt for the top level of coverage, it's about $10 or so per month.

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline HULK_011

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2013, 13:21:43 »
Awesome. Thats the answer I thought it was and thats what I was looking for. Appreciate the help guys!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 13:47:43 by HULK_011 »

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2013, 15:17:46 »
$4 I believe is what I pay for the top up and IIRC the top up is specifically for the Lvl 3 hospital stage coverage "stuff".  Private room, belly dancers, etc.
I feel the need...the NEED to FEED! - Prop Gun

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2013, 15:29:32 »
I think if that's your only medical expense, you're not going to see a difference if you claim it (if you're above the amounts quoted) on your taxes.   :dunno:
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline my72jeep

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2013, 16:52:17 »
$4 I believe is what I pay for the top up and IIRC the top up is specifically for the Lvl 3 hospital stage coverage "stuff".  Private room, belly dancers, etc.
I pay $132 a month for 3 for level 3 care. Still dosen't get me a Semi Pvt in Toronto, but does in Wawa. but I am a Class A CIC. so I f I get that right I can claim it?
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline Old EO Tech

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2013, 01:05:48 »
I pay $132 a month for 3 for level 3 care. Still dosen't get me a Semi Pvt in Toronto, but does in Wawa. but I am a Class A CIC. so I f I get that right I can claim it?

Yes I would certainly say you can claim that fully as a medical expense.  But I believe the last time I tried claiming medical expenses, you only get 17% of it in the end of the calculations.   But every little bit helps though.

Offline bigcletus

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2013, 02:01:47 »
I was recently hospitalized, 5 surgeries over 2.5 years.  On one of my visits, my wonderful nurse told me a story.  She's married to a Fed gov't employee who has PSHCP.   I had inquired about getting a semi-private room, using my wife's insurance.  She told me that all hospitals, at least in NB, only "issue" S-P and private rooms based on medical need.  They do not keep rooms open waiting for better paying guests.  She also suggested I lower my PSHCP to the basic level as its a waste of money to pay more.  Now I can't speak to other provinces, but I suspect its probably similar.

Offline my72jeep

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2013, 08:58:05 »
I was recently hospitalized, 5 surgeries over 2.5 years.  On one of my visits, my wonderful nurse told me a story.  She's married to a Fed gov't employee who has PSHCP.   I had inquired about getting a semi-private room, using my wife's insurance.  She told me that all hospitals, at least in NB, only "issue" S-P and private rooms based on medical need.  They do not keep rooms open waiting for better paying guests.  She also suggested I lower my PSHCP to the basic level as its a waste of money to pay more.  Now I can't speak to other provinces, but I suspect its probably similar.
Mount Sini will go out of its way to put you in a semi $450/day or a Pvt $500/day Or if your in a pvt due to medical reasons and not paying for it, they will move you out with in an hour of your statis change. but first some one from accounting will visit to see if you want to fork over the money to keep it.
I pay the extra $10 a month for level 3 as it payes up to $375/400 day so the remander on my Visa for a pvt is not so bad, done the ward thing never again.
MA Davidson CD
Wawa,Ont.
Army.ca coin #53

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2014, 19:08:25 »
With all those "other" boxes available at the bottom of the T4, it would be nice if PSHCP premium payments were presented as Box 85.

Offline Transporter

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2014, 19:23:09 »
Your total expenses still have to exceed the minimum threshold of either 3% of your net income or $2,024, whichever is less. So, based on the numbers being tossed around above, isn't it a moot point?