Author Topic: license for armoured?  (Read 3785 times)

Offline ThatsLife

• Truck guy
  • Rate Post
license for armoured?
« on: July 18, 2005, 02:47:12 »
I didn't know whether to put this in the armoured forums or the recruiting forums, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

I was wondering, would you need your normal civilian class 5 drivers license in order to drive a LAV3 or any other armoured vehicles? I have my L right now, getting my 'N' in December...I tried searched the forums for this question but I have found nothing.
"Yes I could go for a frozen treat right about now. But no sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you. "

Offline KevinB

• Has Been
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • As a Matter of Fact the Sky is Blue in my world...
    • FN America
Re: license for armoured?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 03:22:52 »
Members require their Driver Wheeled and airbrake course prior to taking the LAV driver course.

*I am not a LAV driver so dont ask mw if it offers any civilian virtues for your civy license...
Kevin S. Boland
Manager, Federal Sales
FN America, LLC
Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 703-244-1758  | Fax: 703.288.4505
www.fnhusa.com

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 00:03:58 »
further to Kevin's---

You do not require a civilian driver's licence to operate any CF vehicle. The army will give you all of the info that you need, and a set of 404's, your army licence. This is all you need, as long as it is shown in conjunction with your Military ID and a valid trip ticket (just a paper from your unit which says you are permitted to be driving that particular vehicle)

And yes, this does mean that there are 17 yr olds with no class 5 screaming around in Leopards and AVGP's on Edmonton city streets.

No leader was ever hated for being too hard, but a great many were for attempting to appear that way.

Offline ThatsLife

• Truck guy
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 03:09:04 »
Thank you for the replies guys; greatly appreciated. My questions are basically cleared up now.
Thank you once again

:salute: :cdn:
"Yes I could go for a frozen treat right about now. But no sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you. "

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 07:36:30 »
For general information.

A fully graduated civilian drivers license is required to apply for the following trades:

052 LMN, 215 SIG OP, 227 LCIS TECH, 411 VEH TECH, 421 WPNS TECH (L), 434 FCS TECH, 441 MAT TECH, 651 FIRE FTR, 737 MED TECH, 811 MP (861 COOK and 911 SUP TECH are under discussion).
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline P-Free(Banned)

• Banned
  • Rate Post
  • I AM A RUBBER DUCK. QUACK
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 03:22:55 »
Odd, I don't have my fully graduated license and I applied for Sig Op...

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 08:27:50 »
Odd, I don't have my fully graduated license and I applied for Sig Op...

Have you been processed and what is your CFRC/D?
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.

Offline mover1

• Rate Post
  • I wasn't looking at anybodys birthmark man........
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 08:52:10 »
For general information.

A fully graduated civilian drivers license is required to apply for the following trades:

052 LMN, 215 SIG OP, 227 LCIS TECH, 411 VEH TECH, 421 WPNS TECH (L), 434 FCS TECH, 441 MAT TECH, 651 FIRE FTR, 737 MED TECH, 811 MP (861 COOK and 911 SUP TECH are under discussion).

Since when?!?!?!?

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/enrollment/index_e.aspx

I haven't seen anything like that ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you find me the reference please.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 09:08:25 »
Since when?!?!?!?

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/enrollment/index_e.aspx

I haven't seen anything like that ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you find me the reference please.

Since September 2003 and the reference is an internal recruiting directive signed by the CFRG Commander titled "Enhanced Reliability Status (ERS): Assessment Protocol for Adult Criminal Code of Canada (CC) and Controlled Drugs and Substances Act Convictions"and the pertinent section is:

"Recruiting units must ensure that applicants who will undertake any initial MOC course that requires Basic Driver Training (BDT) as a MOC pre-requisite has a valid civilian (fully graduated) drivers license (i.e., 052 LMN, 215 SIG OP, 227 LCIS TECH, 411 VEH TECH, 421 WPNS TECH (L), 434 FCS TECH, 441 MAT TECH, 651 FIRE FTR, 737 MED TECH, 811 MP (861 COOK and 911 SUP TECH are under discussion)" and that is all you need to know.

Offline mover1

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 09:24:47 »
You know you started out really good there by answering the question. But then you came off as an *** on the last part of your post.

Maybe this should be reflected on the national web site for recruiting. Then people who are looking at getting in the forces would know right off rather than find out when its to late.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 09:35:40 »
You know you started out really good there by answering the question. But then you came off as an *** on the last part of your post.

Maybe this should be reflected on the national web site for recruiting. Then people who are looking at getting in the forces would know right off rather than find out when its to late.

You know you started off like dick by screaming/demanding that I answer you but you did say please at the end so that about makes us even.  Actually you can't put everything on the website and the applicant is to be informed right at the beginning when they hand in their application for one of the MOCs mentioned.

Offline mover1

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 10:11:41 »
Sorry..... it seems our horses are just as high.

And it (the info) looked a bit out to lunch. 
I just wanted to know the reference, just  so I can pass the info along . I wan't demanding it. 

I think having a valid drivers licence is a pretty big pre-requisite and should be posted on the site. Especially when targeting people who have no need or means of getting one. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 10:21:04 by mover1 »

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 13:42:34 »
Is there anything else that needs to be said?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 14:54:13 by Infanteer »
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr