Author Topic: Aircrew Selection and CAPSS  (Read 79229 times)

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
Re: Aircrew Selection and CAPSS
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2006, 22:58:42 »
High CFAT score, very good academic results and a very good interview score all help to get selected.
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline Mark B

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2006, 09:19:58 »
Hi everybody,
I'm new in this forum!
I want to know if we failed the Capss at Trenton, can you still be a millitary pilot or you have to take an other job?
Thanks!
 :salute:
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Quag

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2006, 10:09:48 »
Hi everybody,
I'm new in this forum!
I want to know if we failed the Capss at Trenton, can you still be a millitary pilot or you have to take an other job?
Thanks!
 :salute:

Just passing CAPSS, does not guarantee you a job. 

SHOULD you be selected to be an officer in the military, and you fail CAPSS, you will either have to take another trade for the time being, and VOT after, or turn down your offer and try again next year. 

Either way, you will be required to get one licence class furthur in you piloting career (eg. no experience => pvt. pilots licence)

Offline Mark B

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2006, 10:38:25 »
Just passing CAPSS, does not guarantee you a job. 

SHOULD you be selected to be an officer in the military, and you fail CAPSS, you will either have to take another trade for the time being, and VOT after, or turn down your offer and try again next year. 

Either way, you will be required to get one licence class furthur in you piloting career (eg. no experience => pvt. pilots licence)

Ok... with a private pilot licence, are you almost sure that you will pass the capss at the second time?
Because I think a private licence cost 8000 $.  :-\
Also, if you take a pvt. licence, would you be exented of the first millitary pilot course (before on Harvard II) ?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 10:49:39 by Mark B »
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2006, 10:57:34 »
Ok... with a private pilot licence, are you almost sure that you will pass the capss at the second time?
There are no guarantees that you will pass the second time.
Also, if you take a pvt. licence, would you be exented of the first millitary pilot course (before on Harvard II) ?
I believe that you are trying to ask if you are exempted any flight training with a PPL - the answer is "no".  There are no training exemptions apart from graduates from a recognized flying college.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Mark B

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2006, 11:07:18 »
There are no guarantees that you will pass the second time.I believe that you are trying to ask if you are exempted any flight training with a PPL - the answer is "no".  There are no training exemptions apart from graduates from a recognized flying college.
Yeah! That's what I wanted to know!! Thanks very much!  :D
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Recon_Guardsman

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 01:42:13 »
So looking at all the posts here, Iv got a few questions for everybody.

1) There are simulator tests and math-like tests for air nav. If you are going pilot, then your score on the 'air nav tests' dont matter? Some people are posting saying they passed ACS but failed the air nav part (and obviously passed anyways).
2) Does the simulator control via a stick or a yoke? Everybody seems to want to go buy a yoke, but someone posted saying to fly it with your left hand on your leg (which you cant do with a yoke, can you?)
3) What do the pedals do? Yaw? Or throttle?
4) If you do porly on your first flight and then rapidly improve, can that stil get you a pass?

Thanks
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he who sheds his blood to-day with me, shall be my brother.

Offline Quag

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 08:32:06 »
1) If you fail NAV, you can still pass pilot.  In fact, I've heard of people that wanted pilot that failed Nav intentionally so that they could not go NAV.
2)Yoke
3)Yaw (not a car, I'd suggest you look into the principles of aviation before you go on CAPSS)
4) Interestingly enough, nobody knows.  Your score is based on a complex series of algorithms.

You will get all the information you need before you go to CAPSS in a study guide.

As an interesting side note, the simulator can sometimes be the easy part.  I passed the simulator and all the medicals except for the Cognitive Test.  (I've since had it repeated by a real person instead of a computer and passed fine).

Offline Astrodog

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2007, 11:09:11 »
They tell you the cog test doesn't count towards your medical, do they just say this to take the pressure off?
Aspiring Zoomie

Offline Flatspin

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2007, 11:23:40 »
So looking at all the posts here, Iv got a few questions for everybody.

1) There are simulator tests and math-like tests for air nav. If you are going pilot, then your score on the 'air nav tests' dont matter? Some people are posting saying they passed ACS but failed the air nav part (and obviously passed anyways).
2) Does the simulator control via a stick or a yoke? Everybody seems to want to go buy a yoke, but someone posted saying to fly it with your left hand on your leg (which you cant do with a yoke, can you?)
3) What do the pedals do? Yaw? Or throttle?
4) If you do porly on your first flight and then rapidly improve, can that stil get you a pass?

Thanks

4) Short answer probably  :), all they tell you is that your score is "heavily" weighed on your last session. But it doesn't really matter, you won't be given feedback after each session anyway. All you get is the piece of paper saying yes / no at the end. Just give your best in each session, make sure your well rested and try to think about other stuff in between sessions.

Good luck,

Offline Quag

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2007, 14:36:12 »
No the cog does count apparently. 

It is supposed to be an easy thing (afterall, if you can watch all your primary flight intruments simulatneously and pass the simulator, you should be able to pass a cognitive test.)   I don't know if I was tired or too stressed when I did mine. 

I know this doesn't help you out much, but if anyone else knows the weight of the cog test they will inform you.

Offline Astrodog

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2007, 14:51:33 »
I had the highest score out of my group  ;D  ... but one of us failed it the first time and they told her that it didn't count towards the medical, which I find confusing as she HAD to redo it, so I came to the conclusion they just try and take the pressure off of the who is partaking in the test.
Aspiring Zoomie

Offline weiss

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2007, 15:36:01 »

13) What do the pedals do? Yaw? Or throttle?

Thanks

There is actually more to it than just knowing - we all learned to drive car long time ago and drove it for a while, so there are reflexes to be unlearnt.  Especially if you are driving stick your both feet are doing a bit of work which is totally different from what they do when you co-ordinate your turns in aircraft.  The best way would be to fly with your feet on the floor at the beginning - short-winged power planes are yaw stable enough to take care of themselves once you are off the ground.

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2007, 19:17:27 »
I had the highest score out of my group  ;D  ... but one of us failed it the first time and they told her that it didn't count towards the medical, which I find confusing as she HAD to redo it, so I came to the conclusion they just try and take the pressure off of the who is partaking in the test.

How did you get your score?  None of the people I know had a score at the end...  Only Yes or No for Nav and Pilot.

Max

Offline Astrodog

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2007, 23:05:22 »
Miscomm, I was talking about the cog test at the DRDC.. they gave you your score, it was only some obscure fraction which lower meant a better score. We only get the pass/fail from CFASC as well.
Aspiring Zoomie

Offline Recon_Guardsman

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2007, 00:36:33 »
Thanks for the help everyone. A few more questions then..
When turning to a new heading in the simulator are you 'yaw-ing' into the turn, or rolling and pulling up?
Whats the cognitive test entail?
Is that it for Trenton? Show up, do the sims when theyre booked and the rest is 'free time?' Im having trouble changing from army to air force mentality I guess  ;)
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he who sheds his blood to-day with me, shall be my brother.

Offline Quag

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2007, 06:58:35 »
I flew without my rudder pedals for most of the simulator sessions.  However, I found them useful to get back on course instead of using my ailerons (which were super sensitive).

The cog test is a dumb test which I cannot tell you about for obvious reasons.  Try practicing simple psychomotor intelligence quotient tests. 

Thats it for Trenton.  Bring a book.

Offline Astrodog

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2007, 11:56:15 »
LOTS of free time in Trenton, which is really nice. It wasn't too cold out when I was there in October so I had alot of time to run/keep up with school work and found a nice spot on the way to the offbase CANEX to watch some Herc movements.
Aspiring Zoomie

Offline weiss

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2007, 12:08:23 »
I flew without my rudder pedals for most of the simulator sessions.  However, I found them useful to get back on course instead of using my ailerons (which were super sensitive).

Now I have aquestion - you did pass ASC, right?  See, by turning with pedals only you are using the secondary effect of rudder or whatever it is called which comes with a bit of skidding into the turn instead of clean turn.  I thought skidding/slipping is one of the negative indicators on your test along with other bad things.

Offline Astrodog

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2007, 12:15:13 »
I barely used the rudders for that very reason. The rudders are not self centering so I really focused on just trying to center the ball perfectly at any particular power setting then just going back to the usual crosscheck. The output graph for the ball is very sensitive and mine was off by half the graph everytime it seemed; it bothered me so much that in one of the last sim sessions I had my face about 4 inches from the turn coordinator trying to get it perfect to teach that darn graph a lesson! The long and the short of it is there is really nothing anybody can tell you on the forums, they give you the tools in the book and the sim sessions are lessons so stick to the gameplan and you'll be fine, I had an absolute blast flying CAPSS and didn't want the last sim session to end! Then again I was the only one that didn't crash once the entire week.. ok ok I'll stop bragging now  ;D
Aspiring Zoomie

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2007, 13:37:22 »
I didn't crash once :D

Anyways, I never used the the rudder during CAPSS (whatever it's called).  Did just fine.

Max

Offline SF2

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2007, 08:47:45 »
you think CAPSS is fun....try the griffon sim!!

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2007, 09:46:03 »
you think CAPSS is fun....try the griffon sim!!

Try the Hornet sim :)

Max

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2007, 10:36:40 »
Bah, the Sea King sim has them all beat. No visuals at all!

We do have a virtual reality sim for deck landings, not part of the training package as of yet but still pretty cool.
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline Astrodog

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2007, 12:11:57 »
Inch,

I think I saw that sim featured on daily planet, the one in the full motion jetranger mockup cockpit? Guess it doesn't matter what it is once you strap the VR goggles on. I also caught an episode of 'truth duty valor' featuring the mighty Sea King; they dedicated a large portion to the sea survival course... I definatly have a ton of respect for anybody that can be turned upside-down in a giant cabin mockup and maintain their calm!

*end hijack*
Aspiring Zoomie