Author Topic: Canadian Automated Pilot Selection System (CAPSS)  (Read 98950 times)

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
Re: Aircrew Selection and CAPSS
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2007, 12:40:33 »
Inch,

I think I saw that sim featured on daily planet, the one in the full motion jetranger mockup cockpit? Guess it doesn't matter what it is once you strap the VR goggles on. I also caught an episode of 'truth duty valor' featuring the mighty Sea King; they dedicated a large portion to the sea survival course... I definatly have a ton of respect for anybody that can be turned upside-down in a giant cabin mockup and maintain their calm!

*end hijack*

Nope, it's a Sea King seat, collective, and cyclic combined with a VR helmet and sweet @ss surround sound. It's not really flyable, the flight model suffered a bit in favour of the visuals. You're able to look around the aircraft and flight deck just by moving your head, it incorporates two images, one for each eye so that you have depth perception. Designed more for reducing the shock factor when coming over the deck for the first time with the hangar face about 15ft from your rotor arc.
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline Astrodog

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2007, 12:51:35 »
Ahhhh ok, it must've been the same software just applied to different hardware. They did have a Sea King driver taking it for a hop but they also showed a JetRanger VR cockpit.
Aspiring Zoomie

Offline Quag

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2007, 14:17:48 »
Now I have aquestion - you did pass ASC, right?  See, by turning with pedals only you are using the secondary effect of rudder or whatever it is called which comes with a bit of skidding into the turn instead of clean turn.  I thought skidding/slipping is one of the negative indicators on your test along with other bad things.

Yes I realize all this, but I think that you can cheat the system this way.  I didn't use them during my turns, only during straight flight to stay on heading.

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2007, 15:03:56 »
Yes I realize all this, but I think that you can cheat the system this way.  I didn't use them during my turns, only during straight flight to stay on heading.

Uh, that's how the pedals are supposed to be used in straight and level flight. If your wings are level and you're still turning, you're yawing and need a little pedal to stay straight.
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline Quag

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2007, 15:20:14 »
Good Point! ;D

Offline benny88

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2007, 20:59:45 »
Anyone else going to ACS March 19-23? Also, any other words of wisdom? I was wondering if CAPSS involves any takeoff/landing/approach stuff, just curious. Thanks.
The people trying to make this world worse, are not taking a day off.

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2007, 21:04:16 »
Do what you are told to do is my best advise.  Put everything you know about flying aside and re-learn it the way they want you to do it....

Max

Offline benny88

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2007, 21:11:40 »
Lol I'll take that as one of those situations where you could tell me if theres takeoff/landing, but then you would have to kill me. Thanks for the advice Max. Anyone going March 19 gimme a shout.

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2007, 21:13:35 »
I guess you'll know more when you get into the sim as what you'll do over there!  I'm not sure we can talk too too much about it.. All I want to tell is that there is nothing too too hard. 

Max

Offline narushima

• Rate Post
How long is CAPSS good for?
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2009, 18:28:53 »
Just want to confirm if CAPSS (the pilot selecting machine ;D)has to be redone if it was succesful and someone has had no offers in years then reapply. Would that person need to redo CAPSS after a certain time (years) or is it good for life?

I have heard different stories about that subject

Thanks

Offline benny88

• Rate Post
Re: How long is CAPSS good for?
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2009, 01:24:23 »
I want to say 2 years, but I cannot find the reference after a quick search. A thorough look through all the CAPSS threads on this site should turn up your answer. Best of luck.

Offline TimBit

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2009, 07:18:58 »
I want to say 2 years, but I cannot find the reference after a quick search. A thorough look through all the CAPSS threads on this site should turn up your answer. Best of luck.

From what I've heard, forever... know a few guys who did it before RMC, but didn't get pilot and eventually enrolled as pilot 5,6,7 years down the road.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 08:16:41 by TimBit »

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2009, 09:26:29 »
Contact your CFRC/D as they should have something in the recruiting bible about expirations of quals.
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline goodbudy

• Rate Post
CAPSS
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2010, 22:29:52 »
hey ..guys , anybody know about CAPSS ,, i have exam soon,,, they said it will be pin and paper, ..what i should study..please eamil at sono_toronto@yahoo.com..thanx for help >:(

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: CAPSS
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2010, 22:32:13 »
Say again?

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2010, 22:44:03 »
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=36026.0

That thread may help you but judging by your writing skills........
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Online NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2010, 23:35:05 »
hey ..guys , anybody know about CAPSS ,, i have exam soon,,, they said it will be pin and paper, ..what i should study..please eamil at sono_toronto@yahoo.com..thanx for help >:(

Nothing like a drive by posting.........

Date Registered: Yesterday at 23:41:46
Last Active: Today at 00:03:11

CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2010, 06:18:14 »
Buy "the little brown handbook", Fourth Canadian Edition, by H. Ramsey Fowler, University of Memphis, published by Pearson Longman, Toronto, ISBN 0-321-15611-0.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Mab163

• Rate Post
CAPSS
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2012, 12:06:21 »
Hi everybody,

I hope that you will understand me well because English is my second language.

6 years ago, I postulated for pilot in ROTP. Everything went well except for the CAPSS. I had a lot of difficulties and I failed. Since than, I have finished my bachelor degree in mechanical engineering and I want to postulate again for pilot but in DEO. Do I need a private pilot licence to pass again the CAPSS? You seem say (in 2007-2008 posts) that I need one but I spoke to a recruiter and he said no.

I'm a little bit confused. Can you provide me an answer?

Thanks a lot and congratulation for this website, it gives the taste to serve for our country!

aesop081

« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2012, 12:19:01 »
Do I need a private pilot licence to pass again the CAPSS?

Generaly speaking, Yes.

Offline Mab163

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2012, 12:31:26 »
Even if I heard that they delete your application folder after 3 years?

aesop081

« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2012, 12:37:58 »
Even if I heard that they delete your application folder after 3 years?

It is not because you "heard" something that it makes it so.

Offline Mab163

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2012, 08:50:37 »
It is not because you "heard" something that it makes it so.

Ok. Thanks!

Offline Mab163

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2012, 07:44:30 »
For those who are in the same situation as me, I asked someone of my family at the National Defense Headquarters, and he confirmed me that : '' a person who have failed CAPSS need to obtain flight skills before being eligible for re-testing''. So in my case, I need a PPL.

Offline _Barca

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2013, 13:33:34 »
Hi,

I am leaving on Sunday for Trenton to do the Aircrew Selection as a pilot. Today I had a session with an instructor on a simulator and I have to say it affected my self-confidence. The instructor had problems starting the simulator and after takeoff and the first turn, the computer froze. On the second try, it did the same thing after 5 minutes.

The reason I am worried is because when I was flying the simulator, I had problems to level the plane and coordinate my actions with the instruments; Sometimes, the attitude kept going up when I was pushing on the wheel and it could take about 2-3 second before it responds properly. I wanted to know if this could be due to the electronics problems of the simulator or I have to expect the same reactions in the CAPSS next week?

Thank you
A good example has twice the value of good advice!