Author Topic: Aircrew Selection and CAPSS  (Read 79071 times)

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
Re: Aircrew Selection and CAPSS
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2007, 12:40:33 »
Inch,

I think I saw that sim featured on daily planet, the one in the full motion jetranger mockup cockpit? Guess it doesn't matter what it is once you strap the VR goggles on. I also caught an episode of 'truth duty valor' featuring the mighty Sea King; they dedicated a large portion to the sea survival course... I definatly have a ton of respect for anybody that can be turned upside-down in a giant cabin mockup and maintain their calm!

*end hijack*

Nope, it's a Sea King seat, collective, and cyclic combined with a VR helmet and sweet @ss surround sound. It's not really flyable, the flight model suffered a bit in favour of the visuals. You're able to look around the aircraft and flight deck just by moving your head, it incorporates two images, one for each eye so that you have depth perception. Designed more for reducing the shock factor when coming over the deck for the first time with the hangar face about 15ft from your rotor arc.
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline Astrodog

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2007, 12:51:35 »
Ahhhh ok, it must've been the same software just applied to different hardware. They did have a Sea King driver taking it for a hop but they also showed a JetRanger VR cockpit.
Aspiring Zoomie

Offline Quag

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2007, 14:17:48 »
Now I have aquestion - you did pass ASC, right?  See, by turning with pedals only you are using the secondary effect of rudder or whatever it is called which comes with a bit of skidding into the turn instead of clean turn.  I thought skidding/slipping is one of the negative indicators on your test along with other bad things.

Yes I realize all this, but I think that you can cheat the system this way.  I didn't use them during my turns, only during straight flight to stay on heading.

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2007, 15:03:56 »
Yes I realize all this, but I think that you can cheat the system this way.  I didn't use them during my turns, only during straight flight to stay on heading.

Uh, that's how the pedals are supposed to be used in straight and level flight. If your wings are level and you're still turning, you're yawing and need a little pedal to stay straight.
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline Quag

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2007, 15:20:14 »
Good Point! ;D

Offline benny88

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2007, 20:59:45 »
Anyone else going to ACS March 19-23? Also, any other words of wisdom? I was wondering if CAPSS involves any takeoff/landing/approach stuff, just curious. Thanks.
The people trying to make this world worse, are not taking a day off.

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2007, 21:04:16 »
Do what you are told to do is my best advise.  Put everything you know about flying aside and re-learn it the way they want you to do it....

Max

Offline benny88

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2007, 21:11:40 »
Lol I'll take that as one of those situations where you could tell me if theres takeoff/landing, but then you would have to kill me. Thanks for the advice Max. Anyone going March 19 gimme a shout.
The people trying to make this world worse, are not taking a day off.

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2007, 21:13:35 »
I guess you'll know more when you get into the sim as what you'll do over there!  I'm not sure we can talk too too much about it.. All I want to tell is that there is nothing too too hard. 

Max

Offline _Barca

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2013, 13:33:34 »
Hi,

I am leaving on Sunday for Trenton to do the Aircrew Selection as a pilot. Today I had a session with an instructor on a simulator and I have to say it affected my self-confidence. The instructor had problems starting the simulator and after takeoff and the first turn, the computer froze. On the second try, it did the same thing after 5 minutes.

The reason I am worried is because when I was flying the simulator, I had problems to level the plane and coordinate my actions with the instruments; Sometimes, the attitude kept going up when I was pushing on the wheel and it could take about 2-3 second before it responds properly. I wanted to know if this could be due to the electronics problems of the simulator or I have to expect the same reactions in the CAPSS next week?

Thank you
A good example has twice the value of good advice!

Offline lstpierre

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2013, 19:24:03 »
From what I understand, CAPSS measures your potential to succeed throughout training in all the phases, not how good of a pilot you are (since people going through CAPSS are assumed to have no flight experience). Just make sure you are making constant corrections to the ideal parameters they are looking for. Fifty feet high in altitude? Don't accept the deviation even though its small, correct back in the direction of the ideal constantly (same applies for airspeed and heading). Focus more on this than worrying about whether or not your flying is super accurate.

Keep a good disciplined instrument scan going to ensure you are watching all parameters. Learn from each session so you can be better for the next one! Worked for me... (and for what it's worth, I've tried to fly the sim at flight school before I joined the CF and I was absolutely garbage at it.)

Good luck!

Offline fireman1867

• Rate Post
  • Chuck Norris sleeps with a pillow under his gun
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2013, 20:02:34 »
I don't post very often, but I will echo Max's comments follow the instructions to a tee, and you will do fine. I was given lots of advice regarding air crew selection and ultimately I used a light touch on the yoke aka thumbs only and followed the instructions and chair flew after each sessions and passed. Here I am 8 years later living the dream. Good luck !

Offline _Barca

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2013, 21:23:58 »
Thank you very much to both of you, this is the kind of things I needed to hear before leaving! I will do my best to follow every instructions during the CAPSS, and I hope I will also be able to live the dream in 8 years! :)
A good example has twice the value of good advice!

Offline Gunshark

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2013, 15:33:41 »
OYR! Updates on progress? :)

Offline dr.phil

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2013, 18:01:55 »
I was just on the last session that completed and I'll start by saying that it was a really cool experience and you'll learn a lot about yourself regardless of whether you pass or not. Just go in there with an open mind and knowing the fact that it will be challenging, but put 110% into doing everything accurately and focus. There were 14 candidates on this course and only 4 passed CAPSS (29% successful). Two with previous flying experience and two without... so it's true when they say you don't need flying experience to succeed, but you have to be able to learn & adapt quickly and not choke under pressure. That's what will get you through.

The simulator is indeed, very sensitive. Very smooth and light movements is what will prevent you from over/under correcting. It's also very important to know how to react with your yoke/rudders when certain instruments start changing. I cannot stress enough how important it is to know every instrument, what it's telling you and how to correct it with your controls. If you don't understand your instruments or know how to react to them, it will be difficult for you. But most of all... relax. You will be nervous, but part of the challenge is being able to do your job while under pressure. Good luck to everyone heading to CFASC!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:10:46 by dr.phil »

Offline Noctis

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2013, 08:31:52 »
I was just on the last session that completed and I'll start by saying that it was a really cool experience and you'll learn a lot about yourself regardless of whether you pass or not. Just go in there with an open mind and the knowing the fact that it will be challenging, but put 110% into doing everything accurately and focus. There were 14 candidates on this course and only 4 passed CAPSS (29% successful). Two with previous flying experience and two without... so it's true when they say you don't need flying experience to succeed, but you have to be able to learn & adapt quickly and not choke under pressure. That's what will get you through.

The simulator is indeed, very sensitive. Very smooth and light movements is what will prevent you from over/under correcting. It's also very important to know how to react with your yoke/rudders when certain instruments start changing. I cannot stress enough how important it is to know every instrument, what it's telling you and how to correct it with your controls. If you don't understand your instruments or know how to react to them, it will be difficult for you. But most of all... relax. You will be nervous, but part of the challenge is being able to do your job while under pressure. Good luck to everyone heading to CFASC!

Milpoints inbound.
I assume the study guide is all you need to prepare for this? Or I should get some time on MS Flight Simulator X before  heading over?
Thanks for your feedback.
 :cdn:

Offline dr.phil

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2013, 09:16:40 »
Milpoints inbound.
I assume the study guide is all you need to prepare for this? Or I should get some time on MS Flight Simulator X before  heading over?
Thanks for your feedback.
 :cdn:

I would highly recommend playing that and doing some of the flying lessons that are provided with it as well. It will help you understand the instruments a lot better and you can get a feel of how your movements affect the instrumentation. Before I went, I had only used a keyboard to play it... so you don't necessarily have to go and shell out hundreds of dollars for a joystick and pedals either. What's more important is understanding what to do.

Offline Noctis

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2013, 09:34:11 »
I would highly recommend playing that and doing some of the flying lessons that are provided with it as well. It will help you understand the instruments a lot better and you can get a feel of how your movements affect the instrumentation. Before I went, I had only used a keyboard to play it... so you don't necessarily have to go and shell out hundreds of dollars for a joystick and pedals either. What's more important is understanding what to do.

Thank you for your response. I assume the only plane I should practice with is the Cesna?
Keyboard and mouse here too :P I guess it's great practice on crosschecking, I'll start tonight.

Offline seagull135

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2013, 17:18:38 »
Hi there. I have an AEC aircrew selections test coming up...
I was wondering if anyone had any information on it, the joining instructions didn't give me any study packages or specific information to study beforehand.
There are lots of information for people applying to be Pilots and ACSO but couldn't find anything on AECs.

Thank you so much,

Josh

Cheers.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2013, 17:37:09 »
There are lots of information for people applying to be Pilots and ACSO but couldn't find anything on AECs.

You may find some here.

AEC Aircrew Selection 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=103971.0
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 17:44:55 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline hopingfordeo

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2013, 22:05:51 »
Hi there. I have an AEC aircrew selections test coming up...
I was wondering if anyone had any information on it, the joining instructions didn't give me any study packages or specific information to study beforehand.

I did the test recently, there's almost nothing you can study for, maybe brush up a little math if you think you need to.  You either have it or you don't, just go in well rested and be prepared to think and think quickly.