Author Topic: Canadian Special Operations Force Command (CANSOFCOM)  (Read 44781 times)

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
Canadian Special Operations Force Command (CANSOFCOM)
« on: December 16, 2005, 10:13:15 »
More from the CDS's SITREP No. 3:

On 1 Feb 06, CANSOFCOM HQ will stand-up and JTF 2 and the JNBCD Coy will be transferred from DCDS to CANSOFCOM.  On the same date, 427 Sqn in Petawawa will be designated 427 Special Operations Aviation (SOA) Sqn, OPCOM to CANSOFCOM.  In addition, the interim capability of the Canadian Special Operations Regiment will be established in Petawawa in early 06 and the screening and initial training of its first company group will be completed by Aug 06, when the unit strength will reach approximately 250 personnel at IOC.  While CLS will give this unit a 'kick-start' by providing a formed company group for the training, this joint special operations unit will be recruited from across the regular and reserve components of the CF.   I consider it essential that we quickly establish these new capabilities to learn the lessons and gain the insights that will shape the future expansion of these CF assets;
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline MC

• Rate Post
Re: Canadian Special Operations Force Command (CANSOFCOM)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 11:25:05 »
More from the CDS's SITREP No. 3:

On 1 Feb 06, CANSOFCOM HQ will stand-up and JTF 2 and the JNBCD Coy will be transferred from DCDS to CANSOFCOM.  On the same date, 427 Sqn in Petawawa will be designated 427 Special Operations Aviation (SOA) Sqn, OPCOM to CANSOFCOM.  In addition, the interim capability of the Canadian Special Operations Regiment will be established in Petawawa in early 06 and the screening and initial training of its first company group will be completed by Aug 06, when the unit strength will reach approximately 250 personnel at IOC.  While CLS will give this unit a 'kick-start' by providing a formed company group for the training, this joint special operations unit will be recruited from across the regular and reserve components of the CF.   I consider it essential that we quickly establish these new capabilities to learn the lessons and gain the insights that will shape the future expansion of these CF assets;

good info, does anyone know if there will be any specific comm unit attached to CANSOFCOM, or CSOR in particular?   

Offline Cool Breeze

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 13:33:46 »
Just wondering about something I saw (from a slideshow on the DIN I think or on the CDS website about CF Transformation) a while back from when this entire concept first came up. I remember reading about something called the "Special Operations Group" or SOG which will contain JTF2, JATF now CSOR, J NBCD Coy, Special Operations Aviation Squadron, a new SOF training unit, and new facilities. Pretty sure this was mentioned before (I forgot) but is CANSOFCOM the new name for SOG or is CANSOFCOM the overall command which will oversee SOG which in turn contains all these different units? Also anybody know anything about this new SOF training unit or about the new facilities (if it's safe to say with regards to OPSEC)?
You're coming in Broken and Stupid!

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 13:35:33 »
Kev T

You haven't read all 17 pages of this thread, have you?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Cool Breeze

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 15:01:43 »
Kev T

You haven't read all 17 pages of this thread, have you?

Most of it. Just that, like you said, it's 17 pages - kinda long - figured I could just get a simple answer. But I guess I'll just go back through the forum and see what I can find.  

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 15:04:02 »
Most of it. Just that, like you said, it's 17 pages - kinda long - figured I could just get a simple answer. 

You did, it was "Please read the thread."

Offline Michael Dorosh

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt!
    • CANUCK
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 15:14:10 »
You did, it was "Please read the thread."

Incidentally, what colour hat are you wearing right now? 
"So, how's your sister?" -Brigadeführer Hermann Fegelein

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com
 http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 15:47:19 »
Incidentally, what colour hat are you wearing right now? 

Midnight blue wedge, red piping, regimental buttons, embroidered badge.

Offline Cool Breeze

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 18:02:45 »

For the guy who mentioned SOG - SOG is CANSOFCOM - the reason for the change was, and I'm being totally serious, the french translation for SOG - which is GOS - which is french for testicles.
This came straight from CO of CANSOFCOM during a brief on Wednesday.

Thanks a lot for the answer and the information; interesting - and good - as to why the name was changed.

Offline Freight

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 00:08:36 »
The official Canadian Special Operations Forces Command webpage is up - http://www.cansofcom.forces.gc.ca/en/index_e.asp
Life is not a dress rehearsal. Decide, then do.

Offline Penny

• Rate Post
  • Ut incepit Fidelis sic permanet.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 06:04:51 »
 :army: Happy Birthday CANSOFCOM!  :salute:

Offline Just a Guy

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 22:59:31 »
Happy Birthday indeed !!!   Inveniemus

Offline luttrellfan

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 09:33:55 »
I thought about starting a new thread, but upon finding this topic I thought I'd ask my question here:

I was hoping someone could tell me what it's like working for CANSOFCOM. More specifically as Support staff. What do they do in Garrison and can they go on deployment?

However, it would be cool to know more about the Assaulters, but I don't expect any answers about the Assaulter trade because of the secrecy, but it's worth a shot anyway.

I've been looking for testimonials about CANSOFCOM, but I can't seem to find anything. I noticed that the Army.ca staff are current/former Canadian soldiers: Did you guys have an opportunity to work there or did you know anyone who has?

Thanks
Man, if you knew how short life was and how fast it can be snatched away from you, you wouldn’t waste one second doing anything that didn’t bring you absolute enjoyment. Period!
-   Marcus Luttrell

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 09:54:01 »
I've been looking for testimonials about CANSOFCOM, but I can't seem to find anything.

Some here,

CANSOFCOM
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?board=73.0

Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 10:03:53 »
I thought about starting a new thread, but upon finding this topic I thought I'd ask my question here:

I was hoping someone could tell me what it's like working for CANSOFCOM. More specifically as Support staff. What do they do in Garrison and can they go on deployment?

However, it would be cool to know more about the Assaulters, but I don't expect any answers about the Assaulter trade because of the secrecy, but it's worth a shot anyway.

I've been looking for testimonials about CANSOFCOM, but I can't seem to find anything. I noticed that the Army.ca staff are current/former Canadian soldiers: Did you guys have an opportunity to work there or did you know anyone who has?

Thanks

There is a quote from  Lao Tzu that you should know (or learn):

"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know."
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline luttrellfan

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 10:51:33 »
Some here,

CANSOFCOM
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?board=73.0

Thanks mariomike, I'll check these out. :)

There is a quote from  Lao Tzu that you should know (or learn):

"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know."

It was worth a shot though.

It's similar to that saying "First rule of fight club, don't talk about fight club" (I hope that's how it goes).

Thanks anyway for the reply George Wallace.  :cheers:
Man, if you knew how short life was and how fast it can be snatched away from you, you wouldn’t waste one second doing anything that didn’t bring you absolute enjoyment. Period!
-   Marcus Luttrell

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 11:00:45 »

Thanks

Fact is, you're not even in yet, and no one who works there is going to go out of their way to put reveal what day-to-day life is in any of the CANSOFCOM units other than what is already available.

Focus on getting your foot in the door, and then worry about where to go from there. Once you're in, if you're still interested in CANSOFCOM, hit up the recruiting cell or go to one of the frequent recruiting drives.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline luttrellfan

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 11:17:46 »
Fact is, you're not even in yet, and no one who works there is going to go out of their way to put reveal what day-to-day life is in any of the CANSOFCOM units other than what is already available.

Focus on getting your foot in the door, and then worry about where to go from there. Once you're in, if you're still interested in CANSOFCOM, hit up the recruiting cell or go to one of the frequent recruiting drives.

I'm not considering a career with CANSOFCOM, I'm just looking for info about it, that's all. :salute:
-   Marcus Luttrell

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 11:24:41 »
I'm not considering a career with CANSOFCOM, I'm just looking for info about it, that's all. :salute:

In that case, google search is about all you'll get.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline luttrellfan

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 11:30:53 »
In that case, google search is about all you'll get.

Alright, I'll google as much as I can then.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

-   Marcus Luttrell

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 21:08:29 »
Video - Recruiting Video presentation shown to serving members to consider at their Information Sessions:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=782401888518458

Offline DemiseZERO

• Rate Post
Questions About CANSOFCOM
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2016, 00:06:14 »
Hello!
I'm new to the Army.ca forum. I just had a few questions to ask and I thought this was the right place. I was hoping that someone could possibly tell me how the Canadian Special Forces go about recruiting. Do they come to your unit? And do you have to be recognized by an officer in order to get accepted or can you just apply/sign up somewhere? I understand you have to be in reg force for 2 years and reserves for 3 in order to apply.

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2016, 19:44:36 »
If you Googled it you would have found your answer in seconds.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/jobs-caf-unique/operations-special-forces-locate.page

Offline DemiseZERO

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 21:39:39 »
If you Googled it you would have found your answer in seconds.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/jobs-caf-unique/operations-special-forces-locate.page
I apologize if I came off as ignorant. I did Google it, I just needed a confirmation. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2017, 13:14:47 »
And for today's necro post, here is a CP story reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act in which the Deputy Commander claims that the members of CANSOFCOM face possible burn out.

Special forces operating on ‘borrowed time,’ need more troops: general
By The Canadian Press — Jul 4 2017
http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/special-forces-operating-on-borrowed-time-need-more-troops-general-1.3488314

OTTAWA — The deputy commander of Canada's special forces says his troops risk being run ragged after three years in Iraq, as well as several other lesser-known missions in other parts of the world.

Brig.-Gen. Peter Dawe says that's why the Liberal government's plan to add more than 600 additional soldiers to the elite force is not only welcome, but necessary.

Canada currently has about 2,000 special forces soldiers, many of whom Dawe says have done multiple tours through Iraq since first being sent to help fight the Islamic State group in August 2014.

But Canadian special forces have also been called upon to help train local forces facing extremist threats in different parts of Africa, Southeast Asia and Central America.

The demand doesn't appear to be letting up, as the government announced last week that Canadian soldiers will stay in Iraq for at least another two years.

Dawe says his troops continue to get the job done, but  have been operating "on borrowed time" and need the help to ensure they — and their families — don't suffer burnout.

- mod edit to add link -
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 21:00:28 by milnews.ca »