Author Topic: CFB Cold Lake Thread- Merged  (Read 146703 times)

Offline BernDawg

• Wood Butcher
  • Rate Post
  • Retired... workin' harder than ever!
Re: Comments on CFB Cold Lake
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 21:05:06 »
I did get a little exposure to the "Western" mindset, reminds me a little of Texas. Pickup trucks as the family car, huntin', fishin'.
Whatdayamean??  Reminds you of Texas?  We are Canadas Texas!  The only things missing are the openly worn handguns. (mostly)
"We can't all be heroes... because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."  Will Rogers
Someone has to be last.  At least if it's me I know where all the assholes are.

Offline Feral

• Rate Post
  • Profile cleaned.
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 21:33:36 »
I've spent a lot of time up in Cold Lake for short periods of TD (from a couple days to a few months at a stretch).. These were between '99 and '04, so what I remember may be different now.

Nightlife was decent, although the bars tended to go up and down in popularity. You just need to find the one (or ones) that are hot at the time you're there. Car is very important, because, as was mentioned, it is not cheap to take cabs all the time to and from downtown. If you make some friends though you'll be sure to find some people to split the fare with. It also gives you a chance to check out stuff in and around the town (I brought my mountain bike and had some fun, but listen for the quads and the occasional bear). The golf club was nice enough, but I'm no connoisseur. Junior ranks was also pretty nice, right by the transient quarters. Good place to go play a game of pool or darts.

Mess food was really good, and they had (this may have changed) a nice a la carte menu. Most of the guys I knew were Pte/Cpl types with single rooms, typical military base fare. The transient quarters (Maple Flag Inn) are fantastic though, with your own phone line (base local, need a phone card for LD or you can call other bases for an outside line), tv with cable, bar fridge, and maid service. You have a sink in the room, and share a toilet and shower/bath (depending on the room) with the room next to you. Unless Maple Flag was on it was rare to actually have someone in the room next door though.

Offline CTD

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007, 02:02:51 »
The bars are Legends (lots of young girls and pretty gross to go to, toilets backing up), Camels Toe(lots of young girls usually not to busy), Stars the famous Gay Lesbian bar( i think it got shut down), In Bonneyville you have the Zoolander or wetlander. It is pretty good Thursday nights. 
There are numerous pubs/ drinking establishments. Wednesday nights is wing night at the Marina View, decent wings. Club 41 Fridays is Keroke.  Like I said there are alot of pubs/ drinking places.

As for the STD situation., If you must go into town, go talk to the Pre Med tech first. Yes Syphillis was a major issue last year in Cold Lake as was HIV. Dont listen to me, go find out.

As stated if you have a Vehicle bring it.

Lots of great fishing/hunting and such.

I am sorry if my view is jaded about Cold Lake, but if you have a family it is a wonderfull place to be. If you are single and there for more then Maple Flag it sucks. Plain and simple.    Simple and to the point.
For those who wonder how my views are or question me, I spent 18 months there. Living the amazing life. There is a reason why young people are leaving Cold Lake.

I hope that you have a good time there.

Offline infamous_p

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • ex-GGHG
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 03:21:59 »
Interesting. I myself am doing a CT/OT for pilot within the Air Force, with the ultimate goal of Cold Lake in mind (as it currently stands). If any others have any info or experiences (both good or bad) about Cold Lake, please continue to add... I am also quite interested about life both off and on that specific base.
Nulli Secundus

Offline Feral

• Rate Post
  • Profile cleaned.
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2007, 12:49:06 »
It's just like anywhere, it's only as good as you make it. If you go in there thinking it's going to be misery, it'll probably be misery.

Offline mover1

• Rate Post
  • I wasn't looking at anybodys birthmark man........
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2007, 13:22:27 »
Cold Lake is what you will make of it. I was there from 95-03. Just as long as you have a good click of Freinds to hang with, and your open to new experiences you will be laughing.
Rugby, baseball, hockey, fishing , hunting, going to the show, weekend trips to Edmonton or Calgary, a days drive from Banff or Jasper. Your off time will be filled with lots of things to do.
Work is steady which is good. There is always something going on.
Women....There are lots NO THEY ARE NOT ALL HIV/VD CARRIERS. Just play safe and follow your ROE's when picking up a stange piece of tail.

So go check it out for yourself.  Make your own decision.

Offline Zam 041

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2007, 15:17:32 »
Ok here is my 2 cents on the "Cool Pool" ,my memories are a little faded I was posted there from 1990 to 1994.It was a great place,lots of outdoor activities and a pretty scenic place,cept for out in the muskeg which was pretty bleak,nothing but muck and jackpines. The Base itself was pretty well run back then,I worked at PLER so I didnt really hang about on the main base. I do remember Club 41 could get rocking pretty good sometimes,not sure what the Officers mess was like but Aircrew are known to have a good time :)

I am sure things have changed alot now,more stores in town and stuff like that.
Give Cold Lake a chance its a nice spot in my opinion with lots of wildlife to see,Bears,Moose and Deer.

Have fun

Mark

Offline cadet

• Rate Post
Posted to Cold Lake.
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2007, 20:03:10 »
 Is anybody here from Cold Lake?
Or been here recently, after it is not a  remote posting anymore?
Any information would be highly appreciated, especially from Met Techs, because  I am a MetTech by trade.

Offline drs1987

• Rate Post
Re: PMQ's in Cold Lake
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 18:26:44 »
Hey I am going to be finishing up my QL3's In Shearwater around June 20th and I am curious as to how the PMQ's in Cold Lake look in comparision to the Borden PMQ's. Just curious as to what they look like.

Thanks

Offline CTD

• Rate Post
Re: PMQ's in Cold Lake
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 19:30:44 »
Same as they are in Borden. Probelly more expensive. I not in any more but I hear they rasied the rates there again.

Offline Jewls

• Rate Post
  • Home is where the Military sends you...
PMQ price... in Cold Lake
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2009, 19:25:47 »
Hi all,
Anyone aware what a 4 bedroom PMQ goes for in Cold Lake nowadays?  We've been looking on CFHA's website but nothing about the prices there.

Thanks!
Support our Troop... If you don't stand behind them, feel free to stand in front of them...

Offline Trueblue

• Rate Post
Shacks at cold lake?
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2009, 16:42:50 »
I'm being sent to CFB cold lake for OJT starting Oct. 14th - Jan 5th,

I haven't been given any particulars as to what unit I'll be helping out or anything like that.

I was wondering if anyone had a clue what the shacks were like for privates there? Like how many to a room, internet/cable access, etc.

Thanks

Offline agc

• Rate Post
Cold Lake Weather
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 10:40:12 »
Buying new snow tires in the next couple of days, and getting posted to Cold Lake shortly.  Could anyone recommend whether studded tires are needed there, or if regular snow tires would be fine?

Thanks

AGC

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Cold Lake Weather
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 21:05:07 »
Buying new snow tires in the next couple of days, and getting posted to Cold Lake shortly.  Could anyone recommend whether studded tires are needed there, or if regular snow tires would be fine?

Thanks

AGC

I was going to say studded tires are illegal, but, after a little research I find they are legal in Alberta (and most other provinces).

So, do you need studded tires? I would say no. I was in Cold Lake for five years in the '80's and I got by using all-season tires, even when I was out out hunting in the boondocks, never had any problems.  Mind you, I had a Ford Bronco II 4X4. 

However, these days the conventional wisdom says that during winter months, you use winter tires, and that's what I would suggest.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:26:53 by Retired AF Guy »
Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner

Offline Kat Stevens

Quando omni flunkus moritati.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 21:14:23 »
Studded tires are legal in Alberta, but plenty of municipalities have by-laws that prohibit their use.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline agc

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 22:48:14 »
Thanks for the info guys.  I don't think I'll be trying to make it around on all seasons in my Corolla, but I'll forgo the studs.  I also see that Cold Lake gets about 1/3 the snow that this part of Newfoundland gets.

Offline Popurhedoff

• Rate Post
  • I love my retirement
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2013, 05:01:12 »
A few things to think about while there, it get very cold and an inline water heater and a battery blanket are a must.  I was posted there for 7 years in the early 80's.

Cheers
Pop
Train to Win ~ The Life you save, just might be your own.

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2013, 10:56:03 »
A few things to think about while there, it get very cold

That's an understatement. December - January -30/40 is pretty normal.

and an inline water heater and a battery blanket are a must.

"inline water heater'? Actually had to look that one up. Everyone I knew had a block heater, but from what I read having both is a bonus. Never used a battery blanket, but I know people who did and they are of a diffident advantage.
Having a heavy duty battery rated for cold weather is a must. Also, when the cold weather starts coming around, make sure you get a proper winter tune-up (e.g.) rad coolant is rated for cold temperatures; oil change, etc.
Make sure you have a shovel and booster cables with you. Having a little winter survival kit (e.g.) blankets, warm clothing, small stove, etc wouldn't be to out of line. Mind you, I did a lot of off-roading and hunting, but storms can come out of nowhere or you end up in the ditch, so having something to keep you warm doesn't hurt.

I was posted there for 7 years in the early 80's.

Hmm, I was there from '84 - '89.

Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner

Offline Popurhedoff

• Rate Post
  • I love my retirement
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 13:00:18 »
That's an understatement. December - January -30/40 is pretty normal.

"inline water heater'? Actually had to look that one up. Everyone I knew had a block heater, but from what I read having both is a bonus. Never used a battery blanket, but I know people who did and they are of a diffident advantage.
Having a heavy duty battery rated for cold weather is a must. Also, when the cold weather starts coming around, make sure you get a proper winter tune-up (e.g.) rad coolant is rated for cold temperatures; oil change, etc.
Make sure you have a shovel and booster cables with you. Having a little winter survival kit (e.g.) blankets, warm clothing, small stove, etc wouldn't be to out of line. Mind you, I did a lot of off-roading and hunting, but storms can come out of nowhere or you end up in the ditch, so having something to keep you warm doesn't hurt.

Hmm, I was there from '84 - '89.

I was posted there 80-87 with 419 TFTS,  January 81, the average temp for the whole month was -48 and it play hell on vehicles.  As with Retired AF Guy's post above, its all good information.  I will never forget driving with the flat spots from the frozen tires... all nice and sync'd until I hit the gas and the 4 wheel drive/limited slip differental put the tires out of sync... dam bumpy for the first kilometer.

Cheers
Pop
Train to Win ~ The Life you save, just might be your own.

Offline BernDawg

• Wood Butcher
  • Rate Post
  • Retired... workin' harder than ever!
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2013, 15:35:05 »
I ran both studded and non studded winter tires while I was posted there. Studded were far superior in my opinion. All seasons won't help you at all. The city has a minimal snow removal policy and the snow is allowed to build up on the roads until it's 3-4" thick, very hard packed and ice covered then they bust it up with a front end loader and haul it away. If you're lucky they do this 2-3 times during the winter. Usually they only do it once or twice. Also, they do not salt, sand yes, salt no.
The battery blanket is a must as well. You can plug your car in all you want but when it gets really cold the battery just doesn't have enough amps to crank the engine over. Just sitting here chuckling to myself remembering unplugging the truck and the extension cord sitting there like a cobra becasue it was so frozen (and that was a winter rated one too boot!)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 15:39:41 by BernDawg »
"We can't all be heroes... because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."  Will Rogers
Someone has to be last.  At least if it's me I know where all the assholes are.

Offline wildman0101

• Scoty Brandt
  • Fallen Comrade
  • bold and swift
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2013, 21:51:02 »
I'm from Winnipeg. I had a block and inline. Inline Antfreeze. Block Anti,, oil ,, block,, other.
Wind Chill factor -35 ,,,, trying to scrape ice off windshield,, Oh Boy. LOL.. Cheer's. Scoty B
scoty b (aka the brat)
so my sister say's
she would know as she
pointed out ,,,, quote
my lil brother is one bad "mo-fo"
dont f*** with him you'll just get hurt.

Offline eurowing

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2013, 23:06:59 »
Synthetic oil...  everywhere, differentials included. It makes a HUGE difference.
Played with RC Airplanes in sandboxes

Offline Chernoble

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 10:37:00 »
I have a garage.  Truck and car start fine :)
"Always fight, always win! The only unfair fight is the one you lose!"

Offline agc

• Rate Post
Rising housing costs at CFB Cold Lake prompt one soldier to busk
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2014, 20:50:13 »
http://m.edmontonsun.com/2014/01/10/rising-housing-costs-at-cfb-cold-lake-prompt-one-soldier-to-busk

COLD LAKE -- Rising housing costs at CFB Cold Lake prompted one soldier to busk for change on a town sidewalk, where dozens of supporters dropped cash into his upturned combat helmet.

Cpl. Darenn Tremblay, 25, with his guitar in hand, set up a cardboard sign outside a local store Thursday night reading: "I am in the Canadian Forces posted to Cold Lake with a family. Any spare change will help."

The young soldier -- from Jonquière, Quebec, and posted in CFB Cold Lake for the past two-and-a-half years -- said he is just trying to make ends meet while sending a message to protest the recent increase on Residential Housing Units (RHU) in the booming oil town that is also home to the military.

"I do that because we don't have any money to pay our rent basically," said Tremblay, who is married.

Part of the problem is the high cost of living in Cold Lake, driven by the area's booming oil and gas industry.

Members of the military in Cold Lake receive a $319-per-month Post Living Differential (PLD) -- an allowance designed to stabilize cost of living for military members with respect to the region they are in. But in Cold Lake, it's lower for members than other military communities, like Edmonton where soldiers receive a $684 PLD per month.

The PLD rates in Cold Lake haven't been readjusted to reflect the current economy in over three years.

Housing costs are up while "our salary stays down and like everybody, we got lots of debts," said Tremblay.

Tremblay and other members living on CFB Cold Lake recently received a letter from the federal government that stated: "Please note that should your shelter charge be reduced to less than the fair market value calculated for your unit, the difference between what you are being charged and the market value is considered a taxable benefit as per the Income Tax Act. This information will therefore be reflected in your T4 slips."

Department of National Defence communications officer, Kathy Roberge, said each year the Canadian Forces Housing Agency (CFHA) administers the shelter charge adjustment process in accordance with governmental and departmental policies and regulations. Roberge acknowledged more is needed for Cold Lake families and said several measures are in place to limit shelter charge adjustments.

"For the second consecutive year, rent increases for CAF families with the lowest income (Privates incentive 1 and 2 and Officer Cadets) will be limited to the national average increase of 2.25 per cent," Roberge said.

There was a 10 per cent reduction applied to the shelter charges in Cold Lake in 2010, authorized by the Minister of National Defence, Peter MacKay, and will continue to be applied during fiscal year 2014/2015.

"However, in spite of the 10% reduction, shelter charges for DND housing in Cold Lake will increase by approximately 6% over the 2013/2014 rates, not including last year's 10% reduction, due to the rapidly growing local economy and high housing demand," Roberge said. The annual shelter charge adjustment for 2014/15 will go into effect April 1.

Tremblay is also trying to keep up with rising bills -- including large heating bills for aging military housing -- by taking on second jobs.

"We keep paying heat bills like crazy," Tremblay said. "Basically we just keep paying more and more forever.
"This is killing me right now. I can barely pay for my food so that's where I am right now."

In 2013, the Ombudsman for the Department of National Defence, Pierre Daigle, reported that between 10 per cent to 35 per cent of CFB Cold Lake workers take other jobs to supplement their income.

Daigle also stressed that CFB Cold Lake has a "high" military release rate -- 8.33 per cent in 2012, and on track to be 12 per cent to 13 per cent in 2013 -- and some Canadian Forces members opted to retire in order to avoid Cold Lake postings.

Tremblay said he was able to manage his finances well before arriving in Cold Lake a couple years ago.

"I had money in my account, now it keeps going down and down and I can't do anything about it," said Tremblay, who witnesses said was later ushered off the sidewalk by military personnel. He has since been told by his commanders not to speak with reporters.

"I was planning on having a child, but I don't want to raise a child in a kind of place like Cold Lake and I could not even pay for feeding them."
[/size]

Online Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
Re: Rising housing costs at CFB Cold Lake prompt one soldier to busk
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2014, 20:56:00 »
Well this will get a response
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way