Author Topic: Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs  (Read 95155 times)

Offline MedicTWO

• Rate Post
Re: Applying Med Tech waiting on PLAR
« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2014, 15:38:21 »
Got my call!! Swearing in in November 7th and St. Jean starts on November 10th!!!!

I'm very happy and super excited
Recruting Center: Edmonton
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Med Tech
Trade Choice 2: N/A
Trade Choice 3: N/A
Application Date: July. 2013
First Contact: July. 2013
CFAT completed : March. 2014
Interview completed: March. 2014
Medical Completed: March. 2014
PLAR Completed: July 2014
Merit Listed: Waiting
Position Offered: September 2014
Swear in: November 7 2014
Basic Training Begins: November 10 2014

At the stage of: Packing and Panicing

Offline mediciv

• Rate Post
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2014, 17:02:56 »
hey I just got in for basic on Nov 10!! I'm going in as a medic also. Are you flying from Edmonton to montreal?

Offline Vell

• ATIS Tech
  • Rate Post
« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2014, 21:05:37 »
Congrats on the offer! It is a good thing you only would accept what you really want to do eh?

I think however I have one of the best file managers in the CFRC. It takes an average of 30 minutes to receive an email reply and I always get called back the same day! :)

Maybe I need to transfer my file to Edmonton then lol. The normal response to my emails are an automated message telling me that X is out of the office until Y followed by no response at all. Only about half of the emails I send (once monthly / bimonthly) get answered and I have never once had my call returned after leaving a message (And yes, I give my name, file number and phone number every time).

Offline MedicTWO

• Rate Post
« Reply #128 on: October 16, 2014, 20:16:36 »
Maybe I need to transfer my file to Edmonton then lol. The normal response to my emails are an automated message telling me that X is out of the office until Y followed by no response at all. Only about half of the emails I send (once monthly / bimonthly) get answered and I have never once had my call returned after leaving a message (And yes, I give my name, file number and phone number every time).

I'm sorry to hear that! I guess I just lucked out :)

On a side note... Do not get hurt after you received your offer of enrollment. The extra paperwork sucks and may delay my going to basic.
Recruting Center: Edmonton
Trade Choice 1: Med Tech
Trade Choice 2: N/A
Trade Choice 3: N/A
Application Date: July. 2013
First Contact: July. 2013
CFAT completed : March. 2014
Interview completed: March. 2014
Medical Completed: March. 2014
PLAR Completed: July 2014
Merit Listed: Waiting
Position Offered: September 2014
Swear in: November 7 2014
Basic Training Begins: November 10 2014

At the stage of: Packing and Panicing

Offline Treemoss

• Rate Post
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2014, 23:15:48 »
So you're all clear then!?
Recruiting Centre: Formly St. John's, Toronto
Reg/Reserve: Regular
Trade choice 1: Medical Technician
Applied: Feb. 14th, 2014
Merit Listed: Yay! Oct. 2nd, 2014
Position offered: Jan. 30th, 2015
Swearing in: Feb. 18th, 2015
BMQ: Feb. 23rd, 2015
Graduation: ---

Offline RMJOE

• Rate Post
PLAR and the Forces
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2015, 18:28:24 »
Hello I have been in the application process for Refrigeration Mechanic Tech for the CF. Currently they are processing a plar for me. My question pertains to my past experience of school, work, and hours generally speaking does the CF recognize government certified experience ie ( apprenticeship training redseal trade with documented hours )? If so can you use those hours towards your doing back to back  QL3 and QL5? If you have any experience with this please reply.
Recruiting Center: Winnipeg
Trade Choice 1: RM Tech
Application Date: March 10, 2015
CFAT : April 10, 2015   passed! I was asked to be officer
Medical : June 10, 2015 passed FORCE FITT
Interview: June 10, 2015 passed
Security Screening Sept, 2015
Merit listed: Never
Position Offered: December 15, 2015
Swearing ceremony: January 13, 2016
BMQ: February 1st, 2016

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: PLAR and the Forces
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2015, 18:51:48 »
Hello I have been in the application process for Refrigeration Mechanic Tech for the CF. Currently they are processing a plar for me. My question pertains to my past experience of school, work, and hours generally speaking does the CF recognize government certified experience ie ( apprenticeship training redseal trade with documented hours )? If so can you use those hours towards your doing back to back  QL3 and QL5? If you have any experience with this please reply.

A merge is bringing all these questions together.

Read:  http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,115480.msg1314603.html#msg1314603
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2015, 09:32:16 »

The CF will take all the documents which you have provided (ie; Academic Transcripts, Provincial Certifications, Apprenticeship Programs, etc, etc) and compare these to the RM Tech training requirements.  They will then decide which portions, if any, of the training that you will need to complete and which portions will be granted.

All that information will be provided should you be made an offer of employment.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline Pushpin

• Rate Post
Can I turn down a PLAR?
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2015, 07:16:14 »
While I have one document to submit for my medical, I will have completed the things required on my end.  The people at my RC want to start a PLAR based on one of my trade choices (RMS Clerk) as I have a college diploma in this field and 7 years of experience.  I was initially all for it but since that, I have spent time searching for more information on PLARs.  It doesn't seem to really benefit in a new recruits case (prior military experience is something entirely different) and will only delay my application by having it processed.  I've even talked to the RMS Clerks at the RC and with very similar circumstances to mine, they were denied recognition.
It has been many years since I graduated college (I'm an old lady to some of you...) and I honestly do not mind doing my QL3's with everyone else.  I knew going into this that would start at the bottom and based on performance and time, I could move on up.  So am I able to decline the offer to start a PLAR?  Is that in my best interest?

If anyone has any insight, it would be great to hear.  Thanks for reading!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Can I turn down a PLAR?
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2015, 07:34:36 »
If anyone has any insight, it would be great to hear. 

This discussion may help.

PLAR and the Forces 
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,50652.msg1371871.html#msg1371871
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2015, 09:30:04 »
(I'm an old lady to some of you...)

And just a kid to others.

Meant, of course, in the nicest possible way...

Offline Pushpin

• Rate Post
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2015, 10:41:57 »
And just a kid to others.

Meant, of course, in the nicest possible way...

Ha!  Let's just say that should I have had a kid in my late teens, they would be eligible to join the forces no problem...  When going through my medical, I remarked how little there would be to report had I applied back in my twenties, hee!

Thank you for the above link, I went through it and it just wasn't quite what I was looking for but I appreciate it all the same.  I was just wondering if you can let the RC know that you would rather skip the PLAR and just start fresh.  If there is no perks to it (no increased wage), the PLAR in my case seems to be moot or even useless.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2015, 11:11:17 »
OR...

The PLAR results would help you move up in the list of 'most competitive applicant'.  Who knows.  Personally, in this day and age, anything that can be done/used to strengthen the application and increase the chance of receiving an offer, I would let it run its course.

I know someone who had a PLAR for an occupational transfer into a new trade and was granted a QL3 bypass based on college and experience.  Some people get it, some don't.  I doubt it will result in a big delay, but you can always ask the RC the pro's/con's.
The only time you have "too much gas" is when you're on fire.

Offline Sempai Julia

• Rate Post
  • Difficulties mastered, opportunities won- WC
« Reply #138 on: July 08, 2015, 10:35:14 »
A wee bit confused.
I was told that my PLAR is separate from my application process. That I can be chosen, sent to BMQ all while my PLAR is being assessed.
What I'm gathering here is that this is not the case.
Am I right in guessing that NOTHING happens until the PLAR is completed to?
Recruiting center - London, Ontario
Regular/Reserve - Regular
Officer/NCM - NCM
Trade choice - Materials Tech
Application date - January 2015
CFAT - March 2015
Interview - May 2015
Medical - May 2015
Merit listed/PLAR completed - June 25, 2015
Position offered - July 20, 2015
Swearing in - Aug 5, 2015
BMQ - Aug 17, 2015

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2015, 11:07:59 »
A wee bit confused.
I was told that my PLAR is separate from my application process. That I can be chosen, sent to BMQ all while my PLAR is being assessed.
What I'm gathering here is that this is not the case.
Am I right in guessing that NOTHING happens until the PLAR is completed to?

Generally speaking, you are NOT eligible for selection or enrolment if a PLAR has been initiated and the results are still outstanding.  Rarely will they make exceptions to this rule.

Offline Sempai Julia

• Rate Post
  • Difficulties mastered, opportunities won- WC
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2015, 11:20:48 »
well crap :-\
Thanks DAA
Recruiting center - London, Ontario
Regular/Reserve - Regular
Officer/NCM - NCM
Trade choice - Materials Tech
Application date - January 2015
CFAT - March 2015
Interview - May 2015
Medical - May 2015
Merit listed/PLAR completed - June 25, 2015
Position offered - July 20, 2015
Swearing in - Aug 5, 2015
BMQ - Aug 17, 2015

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2015, 11:47:20 »
well crap :-\
Thanks DAA

PM'd you with some more details!     :)

Offline Che85

• Rate Post
« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2015, 14:40:51 »
Once the PLAR is complete, will they contact me or will I be merit listed automatically givien that the background check is done?
Recruiting Center: CFRC Montreal
Trade Choice 1: ACS Tech
Trade Choice 2: AWS Tech
Application Date: 2014/11/04
First Contact: 2015/01/13
CFAT : 2015/03/04
Medical : 2015/04/23
Interview : 2015/04/21
Merit Listed :
Position Offered: ACS tech
Enrollment/Swear In: 2015/09/15
Basic Training Begins: 2015/09/21

Offline Leeworthy

• Rate Post
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2015, 14:43:55 »
They did not contact me once my PLAR was done. I contacted them and inquired. So I would go with that and maybe make a call to find out what the status of your application is.

Offline Armyhca

• Rate Post
PLAR - HCA process
« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2015, 23:51:06 »
Hi all,

I'm in the final stages of my application for an HCA position, DEO, Officer. I've completed: PT, CFAT, Med, Interview. The last piece I need to wait for is the PLAR. I'm aware of what a PLAR is- I'm just not sure of why I need one when I don't have prior military experience.

My education level is Masters in Healthcare Administration and a Bachelor of Science from a well known Canadian university. I'm also a Certified Healthcare Executive (CHE) from the Canadian College of Healthcare Leaders. No previous military training where a PLAR would be necessary.

I'm assuming that I am required to complete a PLAR because of my trade choice. However, it's been 3 months now and I thought that it would have been more of a "check off the box" type of formality. All of my diplomas and transcripts were enclosed with my application.

I have a few questions:

1. What could a realistic outcome be of a PLAR for an HCA officer candidate? Is it possible to have some occupation training exempt? Is that perhaps why it is taking 3 months - or is it more of a "checking off the box" to ensure that I am qualified for the role?

2. I understand that it is difficult to predict wait times for a PLAR. I was told anywhere between 1-3 months. What exactly are they doing with my transcripts/diploma? Are they checking the courses and the curriculum?

3. Does anyone have an insider perspective on the PLAR process. Is it perhaps a staffing/backlog issue?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: Prior Learning Assessment Review - PLAR
« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2015, 07:28:19 »
From a previous post:

(This applies to current CAF members who are OTing/CTing/doing whatever career move that requires the use of the PLAR system. I have no experience with PLARs for applicants/new recruits.)

Reference: DAOD 5031-1

As I posted here earlier, I’ve recently gone through the VOT process from combat arms to RMS Clk.  I’ve been combat arms for 6 years but working out of trade for the last 2.  A big part of my VOT was the prior learning assessment and recognition (PLAR) process.  My experience resulted in having all of RMS Clk QL3 written off.  However, each case is unique and you need to justify why your experience counts.

There was A LOT of confusion about this program and how it works, including here on the forums.  I thought I would provide a few tips learned through my experience:

1. Read the DAOD referenced above.

2. The purpose of a PLA is to recognize ANY relevant training, experience, or knowledge gained outside of the military in accordance with ANY formal military courses.  If you think your secret weekend ninja gig qualifies you for your underwater ninja knife-fighting course, request it.  If you think your part-time mechanic job might qualify you towards being a Vehicle Tech, request it.  If you think working at McDonald’s means you might have some credit towards being a Cook, request it.  Point being, if you don’t ask you won’t know.

3. You DO NOT need to have 100% of the experience you’d get on a course in order to have that course written off.  The CAF is willing to accept a “reasonable risk” that does not impact safety or legal requirements if you have completed at least 70% of the course’s experience.  The CAF is willing to give you the remaining 30% through OJT/your home unit/training at another unit.  In this current budget-constrained environment, you can bet the CAF is going to be very sympathetic when it comes to defining “risk” to keep members at home and avoid having to send them on TD for several months.

4. PLAR is NOT a home unit chain of command decision.  No, your Section Commander/Platoon WO/Chief Clerk etc. DO NOT determine your PLAR results.  If your Section Commander unilaterally shuts down your PLAR request because “you can’t do that,” they don’t know what they’re talking about.

5. Where your home unit chain of command does come into play is in verifying your request.  Just because you say “I worked in the Orderly Room doing releases for six months” doesn’t mean anything.  Prove it. “Proof” can include:

a. Letters of recommendation
b. Supporting letters from your CO/chain of command
c. Terms of reference
d. Your MPRR (to the extent that you were in a position for a certain number of days)
e. Course certificates/reports
f. PERs/PDRs from being in that position
g. Samples of work

Now, here’s what you need to do:

1. Learn your occupation’s managing authority.  This is usually an L2 organization and is the ONLY cell that has the ability to PLAR your experience.  For support trades, it’s CDA.

2. Find the training plan for your course.

3. From the training plan, you will be able to determine the course’s POs and EOs.  For example, you need to find:

PO 001: do stuff
PO 002: do things
PO 003: get creative
PO 004: lead PT
PO 005: spell your name correctly

4. This is what the course “is.”  Now you need to equate your experience with what the course is.  It’s easiest to do this through a table that clearly breaks down your experience within that specific PO.

5. Ideally, if you’re OTing, your PLAR is completed and back to you BEFORE you ACCEPT a VOT.  Part of the VOT application is “PLAR results” which means you should know those results.  However, a PLAR can be requested at any time.

6. Be specific.  Do not bullshit, but also realize that you probably have experience you don’t even think about.  The person sitting down to look at your file does this every day and does not know you personally.  They are not about to ask you for more information or ask what you mean if something is unclear – they will simply reject your PLAR for lack of substantiation.  It is YOUR job to prove your experience.  Have you been a grocery store cashier? Do you have a driver’s licence?  Were you on a university school council?  Do you write for your school’s monthly newsletter?  What did you do in these positions?

7. Include dates.  How long was your experience?  One day?  A week? Two months?  Ten years?

8. Now you probably have a big fat file of everything from your BMQ course report to the painting you did for Mother’s Day in grade 3.  Great.  This file goes to your chain of command for them to verify for your experience (see above).  They may write a letter for the CO to sign that verifies your experience and recommends your PLAR be accepted, or they may only make sure you’re not BSing about being a JTF2 assaulter on weekends.  Or they may say nothing, and submit it for processing.  Electronically copy everything before it goes up your chain of command.

9. Now you wait.  Your Chief Clk should be sending everything directly to the managing authority; electronically is the new trend because these PLARs can be several hundred pages (depending on the request) and mail is expensive.  I’d say three weeks is a reasonable period to wait after submitting your PLAR to the Chief Clk before asking if they received a response.

10. Eventually, you will receive a letter from the managing authority that says “Congratulations, you’ve been granted xxx qualification” or “Sorry, the documents provided do not prove you have the experience for your underwater knife-fighter qualification.”

I hope this helps.  If anyone has any questions please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: PLAR - HCA process
« Reply #146 on: September 25, 2015, 07:50:17 »
Sorry.  I can't be of much more help than this, having been removed from the position of a unit Recruiter for some years now, and only have a BA from the days when computers filled whole rooms, but here goes:

Prior Learning Assessment Review - PLAR;

The Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR);

Prior Learning assessment Review( PLAR );

Prior Learning Assessment (PLAR) Information; and

Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs to which this thread has been merged.

Offline ShaunaS

• Rate Post
Re: Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs
« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2015, 08:27:28 »
Hi Armyhca,

Not having prior military experience does not negate the need for a PLAR; it could actually benefit you greatly WRT training.

1. Dependant on what is determined to be equivalent prior learning(my unqualified opinion is that you have lots :nod:), you could be granted a partial or full equivalency following BMOQ. Partial would include being posted to a training establishment to complete the remainder of necessary training. Full equivalency would allow you to immediately be posted to a unit for duty, as well as grant a promotion up to and including Capt/Lt(N) as applicable, retroactive to enrolment. So yes, they absolutely want to ensure you have the proper qualifications and that the education you received on civvy street is in line with what is offered through the CAF.   

2. You will soon find the phrase "hurry up and wait" to be synonymous with military culture. That being said - The PLAR has to pass through a few hands so the wait seems reasonable. Quick and dirty: it is initiated at the CFRC, reviewed at the CFRG HQ, evaluated and recorded by the appropriate IT&E MA then the results are forwarded back down the the CFRG HQ, then the CFRC and subsequently the applicant/yourself.

3. I do not. But as you mentioned you are now on the later end of the timeframe they gave you, it wouldn't hurt to touch base with your RC to get an update on your file. Most clerks don't bite. 

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2015, 09:10:12 »
As mentioned, PLAR results might have a positive influence on how 'competitive' you are as well. 
The only time you have "too much gas" is when you're on fire.

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2015, 15:31:02 »
1. As previously mentioned above, the possible waiver/granting of some of the HCA training and maybe some credit towards pay and or future promotion.

2. They are comparing your prior education and experience against the HCA CF Training standards.

3. Yes and perhaps!

Good luck!  You have some pretty nice credentials by the way!      :nod: