Author Topic: The Military Police [MP] Superthread  (Read 433921 times)

Offline just me...

• Rate Post
  • Soldier First
Re: The Military Police [MP] Superthread
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2003, 08:09:00 »
Hmmmmm........let‘s see what do you want to know about.  Shaun, I dont remember getting an email from you.  Send me a PM and ill try and help you out with your questions.  As for the OC Spray guys, there are many forces out there in civy land who dont really give you a choice either........sure they TELL you it‘s optional but in reality........IT‘S NOT!

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2003, 08:27:00 »
MPs i‘ve worked with in Pet have said it used to be manditory but now it is no longer a part of the course. They practice on each other with cans that contain 10% pepper spray (for aiming etc..) and let you tase the stuff/spray yourself if you want but they won‘t make you get sprayed any longer.
Theory behind it was an MP needs to know what its like to get sprayed however an MP doesnt shoot himself with his pistol to see what it‘s like so they no longer do it with pepper spray.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2003, 08:36:00 »
A few years back on the NLBP courses we used to be shot with pepper spray as well but that is no longer done. The reasoning (and it makes sense) is if you use pepper spray on someone and they are struggling you will get contaminated yourself and by knowing how it feels, you will be able to fight or work through the effects so you can put the person in restraints. (Ice cold water never felt so good and the redness lasted 3 days on me).
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline just me...

• Rate Post
  • Soldier First
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2003, 14:51:00 »
ahhhh....the burning!!!  I remember I could reheat a meal with my face for a few days after being sprayed!!!!  And yes, there is a training can of OC, usually in a green canister.  If someone ever produces a red canister, be prepared....it‘s the real stuff....

Securitas

cheechue

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2003, 02:27:00 »
My housemate is doing his MPAC in January...maybe you two will be on course together

Offline Shaun

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2003, 17:08:00 »
Cheechue,

Is it confirmed that he‘s going?  We‘ll likely be at MPAC together.  Does your housemate know where it‘s being held?  Hope to hear from you soon.

Shaun

Offline riggs

• Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • n/a
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2003, 20:45:00 »
I would like someone to tell me about the diffrent duties a MP would perform in the navy or airforce opposed to an army MP.Also being a army MP is there the chance of serving on a navy ship or at an airforce base,and vice versa for the other services. Thanks

:sniper:

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2003, 19:39:00 »
I have been with the navy now for 9 years and have never heard of MPs being assigned to a ship.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid

Offline just me...

• Rate Post
  • Soldier First
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2003, 21:15:00 »
Your duties as an MP are no different than any other MP regardless of what kind of base you work at.  I myself am an army MP at a navy base.  The only difference is at the field platoon level.  They do not do the traditional "policing" role as garrison MP‘s do but can work out of their respective guardhouse from time to time.  Happens in Pet all the time.

As for MP‘s deployed to sea aboard ships, there has been talk about this for some time but nothing concrete as of yet.  We have not deployed MP‘s out here on the West Coast but I have heard of a pilot project out in Halifax.

Securitas

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2003, 14:45:00 »
With boarding parties doing force protection work at sea would there be a need to deploy an MP onboard ship?

Offline just me...

• Rate Post
  • Soldier First
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2003, 15:26:00 »
Personally speaking my friend, I dont see a need for MP‘s onboard ship at all.  if something big happens then send them.  We had a big incident involving some guys aboard a frigate in Hawaii and we ended up sending two MP‘s down to do the investigation.

CSM Spears

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2004, 07:55:00 »
hi,
 I am an army cadet and have been for 5 years and i am hoping to join the reg force as soon as i can. I want to be an officer but i also wanted to be an MP. I was just wondering what the difference is in the job and daily routine of an MP and a Security Officer. Do Security Officers actually do MP work or are they more organization and desk work? any answers or help you can give me would be really appreciated.

CSM Spears

Offline Just A Hick

• Rate Post
  • Dirty Monkey
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2004, 14:36:00 »
Ones a Cop the other is a Rent a Cop.
The Beatings Will CONTINUE Until Morale Increases

Robert

Offline CFN. Orange

• Rate Post
  • Proud to be Canadian ARTE ET MARTE
    • http://www.25service.ca
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2004, 14:38:00 »
i think he meant MP Officers.....

there was a thread posted before check the search string to find the response
Proud to drink and be Canadian.
True Blue Leafs Fan.
ARTE ET MARTE

R421 Weaps Tech (land)
25 Svc Bn (Toronto)

CSM Spears

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2004, 14:49:00 »
i meant military police officers which are now called security officers

Offline Just A Hick

• Rate Post
  • Dirty Monkey
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2004, 15:09:00 »
I know had to poke a joke. I know a Few MP‘s, But no officers.
The Beatings Will CONTINUE Until Morale Increases

Robert

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2004, 22:31:00 »
Spears:

MP officers used to be called "Security Officer" since we used to be called the Security Branch.  Current term for officers in our Branch is Military Police Officer.  Not something I totally agree with due to the confusion this causes but I‘m not the policy maker.

As for the role of each:

MP 811 (NCMs) do the vast majority of what would be considered "police work" although we do much more than that as well.

MPO 81 (Officers) primarily do "desk work" but must do a short period of patrol and invest work as part of their Provisional Employment Period and can be posted to the NIS in Ottawa where they will do "sensitive" investigations for a period of time.  The vast majority of their career is spent riding the desk as it were.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions you‘d like answered.

cf_2000

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2002, 17:54:00 »
;)   Hey, I want to know what steps to take to be an "MP"  I don‘t want to be solely an ARMY MP, but a Canadian Forces MP !  Can anyone help me out, what to do, who to contact, and where to go?    :cdn:

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2002, 18:14:00 »
Look in the yellow pages under Recruiting and call your CF Recruiting Centre.  They will hook you up with all the info that you require.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

cf_2000

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2002, 00:59:00 »
Is a college/university diploma required to become an MP? I checked the site, and it says nothing regarding this!  Is it required?   :confused:

Offline portcullisguy

• Rate Post
  • Border Services Officer
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2002, 02:41:00 »
Only as an officer... MPs have the same requirements (pretty  much) as any other trade in the CF, as far as I am aware, for NCMs.
portcullisguy

non dormiverit gladius meus - dileas gu brath

48 Highrs

humint

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2003, 10:01:00 »
Just curious. Is there a push to get more SECUR officers in the CF or is the trade full? What are they looking for in an SECUR Officer?

BestOfTheBest

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2003, 16:18:00 »
Hello, I am planning on taking the police foundation course at a univeristy here in ottawa and was wondering if that would be a good choice for military police.
and also can any one give me any formation on military police,like what they do and how you can get in,and what you need.
thank you

DnA

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2003, 16:38:00 »
this is all the info that I know on them, I‘v only been in the army for a short while

if you want 100% accurate up to date info, contact your local CFRC

MP‘s handle base secruity, POW‘s, handling/guarding them

that‘s all I know on them

Offline Law811

• Rate Post
  • Reservist
    • http://n/a
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2003, 17:33:00 »
My turn   :cool:  

I‘ve been a MP(Reserve) for almost 2 years now so I can only give you what we train for on reserve side of house.  We are "field cops" dealing with PW‘s(yea there is no "O" anymore) stragglers, refugees, traffic control, route signing and route recce‘s.  Those are our main tasks.  For LFWA there is 15 MP Coy which has several platoons, one in Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.  If you want any more info on the MP‘s send me an e-mail.