Author Topic: Packing a Ruck  (Read 182930 times)

Offline Doug

• Rate Post
  • Paratrooper
Re: Packing a Ruck
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2004, 22:46:00 »
We have a "Trooping of The Colours" coming up in Ottawa, and a change of command shortly after.

The actual list probably weighs around 60+ lbs.  Once you take out all the crap you don‘t need, and add the "operational" stuff, it‘s usually around 80 lbs!
Every man dies, not every man truely lives...

Offline Bill Smy

• Rate Post
  • Recruit
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2004, 03:15:00 »
It‘s interesting to compare this discussion with the kit the ordinary soldier of the 13th Battalion when it crossed over to France in 1915. On 10 February, the battalion did the last packing of kit in preparation for departure for France. The scale approved for the men was:

Trews â “ 1 pair;   Drawers â “ 1 pair;      Undershirt â “ 1;   Shirt â “ 1;         Towels â “ 2; Hold-all â “1 (soap, razor, etc);Balaclava â “ 1; Socks â “ 3 pair; Boots â “ 1 pair; Housewife â “ 1; Greatcoat â “ 1; Blanket â “ 1; Rubber sheet â “ 1; Mess tins â “ 1; Haversack â “ 1; Rifle â “ 1; Ball ammunition â “ 150 rounds

The haversack also contained one day's hard ration, tobacco, and personal odds and ends. In 1914 a British hard, or iron, ration for one day consisted of:

1 lb preserved meat; 12oz biscuit;       5/8 oz tea; 2 oz sugar;  ½ oz salt;       3 oz cheese; 1 oz meat extract (2 cubes)
"I have ate of the King's salt and therefore I conceive it to be my duty to serve with unhesitating zeal and cheerfulness when and where my King or his government may think proper to employ me."

Offline WB

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2004, 04:21:00 »
...Balaclava â “ 1; Socks â “ 3 pair; Boots â “ 1 pair; Housewife â “ 1;  Greatcoat â “ 1; Blanket â “ 1; Rubber sheet â “ 1; Mess tins â “ 1...
I‘m starting to see why everyone complains that the army just isn‘t what it used to be...

Offline Scotty

• Army Chit Chatter
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2004, 10:39:00 »
Lol, you get to carry your wife around in your ruck! :D

Online Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2004, 10:51:00 »
Yes. Yes you do.

(It‘s a nickname for a sewing kit in case you‘re wondering)
Remember troops, the minimum acceptable standard is still an acceptable standard.

Offline Chop

• Rate Post
  • Military
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2004, 11:47:00 »
I agree with Doug. Onething I do is purchase the large freezer zipbags. I then put in one complete change per bag (1 sock, 1 tee-shirt, 1 underwear) that way in the dark I can find a zipbag of dry change. Garbage bags work great but you can get ruck liners from  http://www.wheelersonline.com

Offline Devlin

• Rate Post
  • Ready Fire Aim
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2004, 14:12:00 »
Wow talk about an old thread coming back to life. Chop funny you mention Wheelers, I just ordered the riggers belt from them today. Used my old combat belt to change a fuel filter on an MLVW. Turns out the filter was stronger than the old belt.

Now you‘ve got me thinking about a ruck liner...hmmm wife won‘t be happy but Wheelers and Visa will be.

I guess 2 out of 3 ain‘t bad.

Offline Farmboy

• Rate Post
  • Provider of quality gear
    • One Shot Tactical Supply
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2004, 14:34:00 »
If you do purchase the ruck liner/ dry bag be sure to use a waterproof spray on it.

It‘s not as dry as it sounds, however it really beats garbage bags.

Mine spent one day out in the pouring rain, on the ground. My tunic had a wet spot on it at the end of the day when I pulled it but that was it.

Most guys had everything wet from the holes in the garbage bags.

D-n-A

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2004, 15:44:00 »
I line the main compartment in my ruck with two garbage bags, and everything else with ziploc bags, I haven‘t had any problems yet, but I haven‘t been out in a heavy pour with it yet.

For the valiase(sleeping bag carrier), once you get it packed up, good way to help keep it compressed is the waist belt off the rucksack. After you sit on it, squeeze the valaise an get as much air out and tighten the cords, etc. Get the waist belt, and put it on horizantal. Works well for me.

Also, I cant wait till I get my 64 pattern ruck frame.    :warstory:

Offline Redeye

Living The Afghan National Army Dream...

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Hope Is Not A Method
    • The Unofficial Website of the Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2004, 16:50:00 »
I use a Wheelers dry bag, it‘s the most incredible piece of kit I own, though I was at their store the other day and they seem to sell a different type than mine (which I bought back in 2002).  Inside that I put everything in Ziploc 1-gallon storage bags arranged so I can pull out exactly what I want when I want it.  Usually I have a clean, dry uniform in the bottom, a couple of changes of gitch/tshirt/socks in the middle, and warm clothes and polypro most accessible on top.

I‘m a firm believer that you cannot have too many pairs of dry socks, either - they don‘t take up much space so I jam as many in as is reasonable for how long we‘re going to be away.
Palma Non Sine Pulvere - Nothing Worth Having Comes Easily!

Offline Bill Smy

• Rate Post
  • Recruit
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2004, 19:08:00 »
Remember what Kipling said in in A Boy Scout‘s Patol Song:-

Look out, when you start for the day
  That your kit is packed to your mind;
There is no use going away            
  With half of it left behind.
Look out that your laces are tight,
  And your boots are easy and stout,
Or you‘ll end with a blister at night.
(Chorus) All Patrols look out!
"I have ate of the King's salt and therefore I conceive it to be my duty to serve with unhesitating zeal and cheerfulness when and where my King or his government may think proper to employ me."

Offline .

• Rate Post
All things ruck march (what to wear, music, etc.) - merged
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2004, 01:15:00 »
What is Ruck Marching?  I hear people talk about it but have no clue what it is.  And in your Basic how much running do you do, and how long (approx). example. Run once a week for 5 km‘s or run everyday for 2 km or what?
Thanks for your help.

Justin

Offline sinblox

• Rate Post
  • PRes
Re: Ruck Marching
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2004, 01:26:00 »
Ruck = big backpack with all your kit you need to survive in it.

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2004, 02:29:00 »
Justin: a ruck march is a long walk with a heavy backback on. It‘s not usually very fast, and they will build you up to it, but it‘s pretty rough on the body. As for running, it will depend on your instructors. If they have lots of time and the inclination, they may take you for runs every day, or every other week.
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2004, 06:00:00 »
we did 6 km runs every morning.
The true measure of a man is how well he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good

Munit Haec et Altera Vincit

"2..4..6..8..tiptoe, sneak, and infiltrate, yaaaaaay, recce!" - Kat Stevens

Offline Mr. Ted

• Rate Post
  • Pvt Infantry Reserve Ret‘d
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2004, 11:27:00 »
I don‘t know about everyone else, buy my personal favourite form of PT was the ruck march.  I will take long, drawn-out fast marches with heavy packs and a C7 any day over a sprint or quick run.  I hated running, loved ruck marching.

In fact, once you‘ve been marching for a good while, you will hit a nice endorphin rush that tends to pick up your spirits. You get that good feeling when all your kit is packed tight, nothing‘s banging around, your sleeping bag finally isn‘t falling out of your valise every time you move, you realize that your C7 has a slot between the magazine and the trigger guard that fits perfectly over the mag pouch on your webbing - so perfectly in fact, that you can balance it there to stretch out your arms and relax your hands for awhile.  Everyone‘s feet are hitting the ground in unison, you‘re marching beside your buddy, you‘re 5 klicks in with 10 more to go, you‘re doing something none of your lazy friends back home will ever do, the countryside‘s beautiful and you‘re in uniform for the best country in the world.  

Now what could be better than that?

Mr. Ted
Veritas Omnia Vincit

Offline ab136

• Rate Post
  • "Running to stand still."
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2004, 15:18:00 »
Mr. Ted you sound like your really enjoyed that and it sound very appealing to me.  You should be the "poster-guy" for ruck marches.  :salute:
Proud to be an Engineer!!

Offline ab136

• Rate Post
  • "Running to stand still."
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2004, 15:20:00 »
May-be Molson could do another "I am Canadian" rant with a ruck-march-twist.  :)
Proud to be an Engineer!!

mattoigta

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2004, 16:08:00 »
Originally posted by Mr. Ted:
[qb] I don‘t know about everyone else, buy my personal favourite form of PT was the ruck march.  I will take long, drawn-out fast marches with heavy packs and a C7 any day over a sprint or quick run.  I hated running, loved ruck marching.

In fact, once you‘ve been marching for a good while, you will hit a nice endorphin rush that tends to pick up your spirits. You get that good feeling when all your kit is packed tight, nothing‘s banging around, your sleeping bag finally isn‘t falling out of your valise every time you move, you realize that your C7 has a slot between the magazine and the trigger guard that fits perfectly over the mag pouch on your webbing - so perfectly in fact, that you can balance it there to stretch out your arms and relax your hands for awhile.  Everyone‘s feet are hitting the ground in unison, you‘re marching beside your buddy, you‘re 5 klicks in with 10 more to go, you‘re doing something none of your lazy friends back home will ever do, the countryside‘s beautiful and you‘re in uniform for the best country in the world.  

Now what could be better than that?

Mr. Ted [/qb]
Yeah I totally agree, and have also come to appreciate the space between the mag housing and pistol grip!

Offline GreenFace

• Join The Canadian Forces Or Die Trying
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2006, 15:42:33 »
he would be a good spokesman for comercials with ruck marching
I'm back in the street
The fight never ends
I was born with a gun in my hand
I'll die for my country
But I'll die like a man

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2006, 19:15:34 »
The stated runs on IAP (officer basic, kind of....) are 5km in about 45 minutes. Timing is very flexible as to frequency as this depends on instructor availability/fatigue/cantankerousness. Also, some staff members run like gazelles with a lion after them, some despise running with the same passion I have. Every course is different, mostly because the staff are different.

If you train 3 days a week and work your way up to 7km in about 50 minutes, you will have very few problems on course. PT wise, at any rate.

For those that think that is fast, in the first line units (GS Battalion does NOT count), 10 km runs in 50 minutes, with push-ups/crunches/lord knows what else mixed in, are not that unusual. They suck, IMHO, but not that unusual.

Oh, and running sucks (Did I mention that already?). I much prefer a nice slow ruck march.

Now, stretcher PT (or its evil cousin, jerry can PT) is a whole different beast  >:D
Why are there swamps on top of hills?

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2006, 03:42:49 »
You may have noticed that this topic is 2 years old. Was there a reason for resurrecting it, as I'm sure the person in question has long since had their question(s) answered.
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Offline Lost_Warrior

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2006, 20:45:22 »
we did 6 km runs every morning.

Indeed we did.
=Non nobis sed patriae=
=Not for ourselves but for our country=

Offline Jonathan

• Rate Post
Ruck sack weight
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2006, 15:29:50 »
I wasnt really sure where to put this but I think this is good. I am starting to do practcice ruck marches to train for the BMQ this summer. I was wondering the exact weight of the packs they make us wear. I have searched everywhere and can find nothing. Just so you no I am  a reserve, if that changes it. I would also like to know how fast the pace has to be and the distance.

For you people that have already done the reserve BMQ I would appreciate the info.

Thanks

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: Ruck sack weight
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2006, 15:40:29 »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.