Author Topic: Soldier On Sports Recovery/Rehabilitation Fund  (Read 296909 times)

Offline kratz

Fall: Sweater Weather.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Invictus Games 2017 - Toronto
« Reply #525 on: September 26, 2017, 10:38:24 »
With the Invictus Games in full swing, I'm surprised there has been no queries, comments or interest on the site ahead of the games or after the Opening Ceremony. I know some CAF members who were approved "Community Service" special leave in order to volunteer at the games. So the level of support from the military is quite high. Most events are free or cheap to attend. They've even brought in brand name stars for both ceremonies. No, the IG are not as big league as the Olympics, but the message the games sends to injured and ill members / veterans is a strong one.

#InvictusGames #IAM #IG2017 @InvictusToronto @IGTeamCanada #SoldierOn
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Simian Turner

is a veteran who enjoys oddities!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Do the right thing; do the thing right!
Re: Soldier On Sports Recovery/Rehabilitation Fund
« Reply #526 on: September 27, 2017, 09:24:27 »
The low attendance at the Opening Ceremonies despite the entertainment and the minimal tv coverage is unfortunately sending a message that although these Games are important to the participants, much like CISM or even the Special Olympics this does not have the same special meaning to the general public.  The continuing emphasis on PTSD of which more than half the Canadian team suffers is sending a mixed message. I am not aware of an international sporting competition dedicated to people with depression and heart disease.  I know some of the international participants at IG are cancer survivors or were injured in non-duty accidents so this too puzzles me.  Before anyone get excited and scream that I am comparing IG to Special Olympics, I am knowingly using it as an example of a special interest group that does not receive general public and media attention.
The grand essentials of happiness: something to do, something to love, something to hope for.  Allan K. Chalmers

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #527 on: September 27, 2017, 11:14:33 »
I'll probably get slammed for this but I saw an interview on the bus to TO and the person was reaching for a box on a shelf and it slipped and hurt her neck/back.

Well I'm sure  there's no games for hundreds of WSIB injured reaching for something on a shelf.......
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline kratz

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #528 on: September 27, 2017, 11:28:19 »
I agree with the comparisons:
- CISM athletics have led to Olympics,
- Invictus athletics compared to Para-Olympics.

I know the corporate funding (advertising, television etc...) is magnitudes lower for these games. With few exceptions, most Invictus events are free for the public, something rarely seen so broadly applied at Olympic level events. Even the recent Pan Am games (semi-professional feeder team) sold tickets to the public in Toronto, "at a low rate".

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline kratz

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #529 on: September 29, 2017, 19:29:33 »
I like seeing that final events are sold out.

Quote from: @HRHHenryWindsor, Sept 26, 2017
The wise will admire u. The wishful will envy u. The weak will hate u. This is the reality for those who dare to make a difference!#Invictus