Author Topic: The Russian Military Merged Thread- Army  (Read 60076 times)

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Russian T14 Armata tanks paraded in Moscow
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2015, 00:28:19 »
Armata tanks parading in Moscow:

New Russian heavy armour breaks cover 

IHS Jane's 360 - 22 April 2015

The flagship of the new armoured vehicles is the Armata main battle tank (MBT), also known as the T-14 and built by UralVagonZavod. The images show an MBT much more in keeping with recent western philosophies on tank design, appearing larger and taller than the T-72/90 it will replace.

The key feature of the Armata is its unmanned turret, with all three crew members (commander, gunner, driver) seated in a crew capsule at the front of the vehicle's hull. Although the turret is covered in the MoD image, Armata is understood to be armed with a 2A82A 125 mm smoothbore main gun fed by a bustle-mounted automatic loader equipped with 32 rounds.

The Russian Ground Forces' new Armata main battle tank (MBT) seen during rehearsals for the Victory Day Parade in Moscow. (Russian Ministry of Defence)
-

The Russian Ground Forces' new heavy infantry fighting vehicle (IFV) based on the Armata main battle tank (MBT) chassis seen during rehearsals for the 9 May Victory Day Parade in Moscow. (Russian Ministry of Defence)
Our Country
--------------------------------
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves."   - Lao Zi (老子)
-------------------------------------------
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Armata MBTs debut in rehearsal for WW2 victory parade in Moscow
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2015, 10:04:06 »
Pictures of the Armata MBTs without the clothing covers on their turrets are at the link below:

Military.com

Russia's New Armata Tank Makes Debut in Parade Rehearsal

Associated Press | May 05, 2015
MOSCOW  — Russia's new Armata tank appeared in public for the first time Monday, rumbling down a broad Moscow avenue on its way to Red Square for the final rehearsal of the Victory Day parade.
The Russian Defense Ministry last month released photographs of the tank, but its turret was covered with fabric and only the platform was visible. Monday was the first time that the tank was shown uncovered.
The Armata will be a highlight of the military parade on Saturday, the 70th anniversary of the victory over Nazi Germany in World War II. About 200 pieces of military hardware and 16,500 troops will take part in the parade on Red Square.

(...SNIPPED)
Our Country
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves."   - Lao Zi (老子)
- Winston Churchill

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Russia's new Armata tank pictures from Moscow parade rehearsal
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2015, 01:26:21 »
More pics of the Armata MBT:

Show of force: A new Russian Armata T-14 tank speeds through Moscow for final rehearsals for the Victory Day parade, where it be the highlight of celebrations on Saturday marking the 70th anniversary of the victory over Nazi Germany
-

New Russian military vehicles including the new Russian T-14 Armata tank, foreground, make their way to Red Square during a rehearsal for the Victory Day military parade
source: dailymail.co.uk
Our Country
- Winston Churchill

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
RUS Abn to get tanks? "Tank units"?
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2015, 10:40:29 »
Elsewhere in the RUS mil machine ....
Russia's Airborne Troops to Receive Tanks

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – Russia’s Airborne Troops will soon be reinforced with tank units, Airborne Troop Commander Col.-Gen. Vladimir Shamanov told RIA Novosti on Wednesday.

“In the near future we plan to receive a tank unit to reinforce our firepower,” Col.-Gen. Shamanov said.

Russian Airborne Troops have armored vehicles, but tanks have never been included in their inventory.

The elite military force, nicknamed in Russia the “blue berets” after the hats its soldiers wear, trace its origins to 1930, when the first parachute jump by the airborne troops took place.

Since then, Soviet and subsequently Russian Airborne Troops have participated in a number of military conflicts, including important battles in World War II, conflicts in Afghanistan, Chechnya and South Ossetia.
Original article (not much detail) in Russian here.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Russian Armata tank breaks down in Moscow parade
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2015, 18:37:58 »
Ha! So much "next-generation" Russian technology. A planned breakdown? Riiiiight.  ;D

Foreign Policy

Russia’s Patriotic Preparations Run Into Tank Troubles

Ahead of what’s meant to be their triumphant debut, one of the handful of Armata T-14s in the rehearsal ground to a halt directly in front of Lenin’s tomb in Moscow’s Red Square, stalling in place with the engine still running. On May 9, Red Square will be the epicenter of one of Russia’s largest commemorations ever, for the 70th anniversary of the World War II Allies’ defeat of the Nazis.

“The tank’s driver raised a small red flag to show he had problems but managed to drive on about 30 minutes later after an attempt to tow it away was abandoned,” Reuters reports. “The parade announcer later announced that the stoppage had been planned to demonstrate how military equipment could be evacuated from the battlefield, prompting laughter from the rehearsal audience.”

(...EDITED)
Our Country
- Winston Churchill

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
"First monument to “polite people” opened in Amur region"
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2015, 09:16:27 »
Suuuuuuuuuuuure these weren't Russian troops in Crimea ....

This from the RUS MoD:
The monument to a soldier is opened in Belogorsk city of Amur region. Solemn event took place close to city wall of fame.

The idea of the monument has being discussed for months after presidential enactment Vladimir Putin establishing new celebration date – Special Task Force Day. People call February 27 – Polite People Day.

The concept of the monument comes from photo image made by TASS reporter Andrey Ryumin. The picture shows moment when special task soldier hands over a kitten to a child.

The ceremony was attended by commander of all arms Army Lieutenant-General Sergei Solomatin, Acting Governor of Amur region Aleksandr Kozlov, representatives of regional administration, veterans and servicemen of Belogorsk garrison.
Some pix from yesterday's "Special Task Force Day" statue dedication ....

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: The Russian Military Merged Thread- Army
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2015, 09:37:03 »
That is the most heavily guarded statue of a "soldier returning a cat" I have ever seen.

BTW, the statue soldier is out of uniform: You can see his face :)

Offline Technoviking

DANCE TO THE TECHNOVIKING.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
Re: "First monument to “polite people” opened in Amur region"
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2015, 10:51:22 »

That young lad's "K": Крым (Russian) and not Крим (Ukrainian), I'm sure :P

So, there I was....

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Re: "First monument to “polite people” opened in Amur region"
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2015, 11:20:41 »
That young lad's "K": Крым (Russian) and not Крим (Ukrainian), I'm sure :P
:nod:

Also, I find it interesting that this monument went up sooooooooooooooooooo far away from Ukraine ....

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2015, 11:31:40 »
OK

Who needs the threat of NATO, the Americans, or anyone else starting WW IV, if the possibility of one Nuclear Power committing hari-kari in the center of its capital exists.

This looks like a fluid leak on fire on an Anti-aircraft Missile Launcher, with fluid dripping onto street, and ICBM Missile Launchers following.  All with full loads of missiles.  Possibilities of a catastrophe causing multiple deaths are there.   Definitely a lot worse than a tank breaking down in the parade.

https://www.facebook.com/235931176424547/videos/1028360997181557/
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2015, 12:24:09 »
A bit more detail about the T-14 Armata tank.Unusual placement of the 3 man crew up front albeit in an armored compartment.Low silhoutte.anti-missile defense and very sleek.Heavily armored.

http://www.armyrecognition.com/russia_russian_army_tank_heavy_armoured_vehicles_u/armata_russian_main_battle_tank_technical_data_sheet_specifications_information_description_pictures.html

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2015, 12:56:56 »
And here, attrached, are the RUS military Info-machine's graphics of their new hardware - more to follow ....

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2015, 12:57:38 »
.... with the rest here - enjoy!

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2015, 13:15:53 »
Right away I see two big flaws of the T-14, one huge exposure of the turret ring to the rear, two the turret being completely automated, i'd aim to hit it, not to take it out but to throw the electronics off enough that it is no longer combat effective. finally if suffers from driver error  >:D
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2015, 13:21:37 »
The big advantage the Russians have in tank design is that they dont have to worry about weight.Their tanks wont be flown for rapid deployment beyond Russia's borders.They can rly on rail or by ship.Cost is a factor as well.How many T-14's can Russia afford ?

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2015, 18:08:54 »
Right away I see two big flaws of the T-14, one huge exposure of the turret ring to the rear, two the turret being completely automated, i'd aim to hit it, not to take it out but to throw the electronics off enough that it is no longer combat effective. finally if suffers from driver error  >:D

I see way too many flaws in the T-14.  They range from the number of crew, crew placement, remote control turret with an autoloader, remote control machine gun, gas turbine engine, and on and on.  Tank maintenance isn't really hard; mostly just HEAVY.  Just cleaning the main gun takes four or five people.  Russian auto-loaders are notoriously slow and dangerous.  Gas is one very volatile fuel, that most other nations have gotten away from.  There are many here who now have an opportunity to slice and dice this tank's design.

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2015, 13:14:03 »
I see way too many flaws in the T-14.  They range from the number of crew, crew placement, remote control turret with an autoloader, remote control machine gun, gas turbine engine, and on and on.  Tank maintenance isn't really hard; mostly just HEAVY.  Just cleaning the main gun takes four or five people.  Russian auto-loaders are notoriously slow and dangerous.  Gas is one very volatile fuel, that most other nations have gotten away from.  There are many here who now have an opportunity to slice and dice this tank's design.

My biggest question is ammo still stored around the turret ring? if so combined with the gas engine this thing is a driving bomb and death trap rather then a tank
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2015, 13:18:38 »
My biggest question is ammo still stored around the turret ring? if so combined with the gas engine this thing is a driving bomb and death trap rather then a tank

Agreed, but this time they have removed most of the crew from the turret and placed them in "safe" compartments.  How much confidence that builds, I am not sure.   ;D

Offline Old and Tired

• Donor
  • Rate Post
  • Just a Dumb A** radop
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2015, 13:28:51 »
You have to remember that "Gas-Turbine" has nothing to do with Gasoline. It's simply the way in which the fuel/air mix is burned and the resultant power is harnessed for use.  Most turbine engines use fuels from the lower end of the distillate column because of their inherent lubrication properties.  The only two references that I've seen so far simply say it's powered by a "Gas-Turbine Engine" that produces somewhere in the region of 1,500 HP.  Nether of them say what kind of fuel or how much.  If the fuel consumption of previous Gas-Turbine tanks (M-1 Family and T-80 family) is anything to judge from, this tank must have very large fuel reserves to have a range of 500km.
If you can keep your head while all about you are loosing theirs, obviously you don't understand the complexity of the problem.

"Hey, Andy, watch this; it'll gonna be really cool........"

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2015, 14:25:47 »
true but lets say the ammo still is around the turret ring, if that gets hit and goes up, the explosion would be powerful enough to ignite said fuel reserves to either go boom or burn off for a long time

Offline Old and Tired

• Donor
  • Rate Post
  • Just a Dumb A** radop
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2015, 14:39:40 »
True enough.  It all comes down to what the internal layout is.  How the compartments are divided and separated from each other.  I've looked over the photos as best I can, and I think there may be blow-off panels on the turret roof.  As well from the length of the bustle on the back I wonder if perhaps the 32 rds of ready load ammo for the main guns is stored there, with the idea being that it is a sacrificial storage unit that is easily replaced.  It would be the first time that the Russians make that type compromise in design.
If you can keep your head while all about you are loosing theirs, obviously you don't understand the complexity of the problem.

"Hey, Andy, watch this; it'll gonna be really cool........"

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2015, 14:55:03 »
In which case we are seeing a fundamental shift in Russian AFV designs which means unless we see these in combat we may not know what to expect

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2015, 16:18:40 »
More like an Abrams gas turbine I suspect.No Abrams was ever lost due to an enemy tank.No brew ups.Some mobility kills.

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2015, 21:43:42 »
Here, reproduced under the usual caveats of the Copyright Act, are some detailed analysis of the Armata vehicles (T-14 and T-15), Kurganets-25, and Boomerang 8×8 AFV.

New Russian Armor – First analysis: Armata

New Russian armor – First analysis Part II: Kurganets-25

New Russian armor – Part III: Boomerang 8×8 AFV

Lots of photos not previously seen and a good preliminary analysis.
Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner