Author Topic: Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)  (Read 789998 times)

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)
« Reply #2500 on: December 12, 2017, 14:48:31 »
[quote author=medicineman link=topic=60282.msg1511452#msg1511452 date=1512228003
Question of the day - Why doesn't anyone Walt as a Spetnaz guy that was a Russian Afghan vet or something like that?
MM
[/quote]

Didn't they pose as tourists and businessmen on the day/night of the epic invasion?

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #2501 on: December 12, 2017, 17:14:21 »
Something like that...

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #2502 on: December 16, 2017, 12:38:06 »
Source: Stolen Valour - Canada Facebook page

*****UPDATE*****

Michel-Éric Castonguay

LaPresse - 16 Dec 2017

He called himself veterinarian and veteran of the war in Afghanistan. He was neither one nor the other. Although he invented a diploma and a military past, Michel-Éric Castonguay obtained a level 2 (secret) security clearance necessary to become a political attaché of two ministers in Ottawa.

In 2010-2011, Mr. Castonguay worked successively for Christian Paradis and Denis Lebel, then Conservative ministers in Stephen Harper's cabinet. Like all future federal government employees, Mr. Castonguay was investigated prior to his hiring.

Despite this investigation, no one at that time noted that his resume was full of lies.

The press reported Tuesday that, contrary to what he had argued for years, Michel-Éric Castonguay had never served in the army. Nor does he hold a doctorate in veterinary medicine from the University of Glasgow, Scotland.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Il se disait vétérinaire et vétéran de la guerre d'Afghanistan. Il n'était ni l'un ni l'autre. Bien qu'il se soit inventé un diplôme et un passé militaire, Michel-Éric Castonguay a obtenu une autorisation de sécurité de niveau 2 (secret) nécessaire pour devenir attaché politique de deux ministres à Ottawa.

En 2010-2011, M. Castonguay a travaillé successivement pour Christian Paradis et Denis Lebel, alors ministres conservateurs dans le cabinet de Stephen Harper. Comme tous les futurs employés du gouvernement fédéral, M. Castonguay a fait l'objet d'une enquête préalablement à son embauche.

Malgré cette enquête, personne n'a relevé, à l'époque, que son curriculum vitae était truffé de mensonges.

La Presse a rapporté mardi que, contrairement à ce qu'il avait soutenu pendant des années, Michel-Éric Castonguay n'avait jamais servi dans l'armée. Il n'est pas davantage titulaire d'un doctorat en médecine vétérinaire de l'Université de Glasgow, en Écosse.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:41:03 by BeyondTheNow »
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2503 on: December 16, 2017, 12:54:33 »
Maybe whoever does the investigating for federal government employees should have their screening process reviewed?

If this guy made it through I wonder who else slipped through. Time for a government-wide security screening reassessment (probably from a different organization).
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2504 on: December 16, 2017, 15:07:53 »
Or maybe he didn't include those claims when he submitted his clearance.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2505 on: December 16, 2017, 15:30:16 »
Quite possible. I'm trying to read up about it but being severely hampered by my inability to read french.

It looks like he joined the conservative circus around 2010-2011. I thought I read somewhere that the conservatives were elated to have a veteran serving as an attache but I can't find the article. 

There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #2506 on: December 16, 2017, 15:56:10 »
Quite possible. I'm trying to read up about it but being severely hampered by my inability to read french.

It looks like he joined the conservative circus around 2010-2011. I thought I read somewhere that the conservatives were elated to have a veteran serving as an attache but I can't find the article.

Google Chrome will translate almost every web page into an almost comprehensible English document.  ;D

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline Happy Guy

• Rate Post
  • Retirement is just around the corner!
« Reply #2507 on: December 16, 2017, 22:36:02 »
I still don't really understand why people pretend to be a highly decorated military soldier / sailor / airman and think that they can get away with it.  The truth will eventually come out.
Full disclosure - In my past I pretended to be a highly qualified soldier to impress girls, when in fact I had very little time in, was barely out of my teens and shaved once a week.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2508 on: December 17, 2017, 08:26:21 »
In my past I pretended to be a highly qualified soldier to impress girls....
When I was in Gagetown, I'd tell the Fredericton women that I was going to school to be a chef;  I didn't know anything  about the military.   :nod:

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #2509 on: December 17, 2017, 08:34:38 »
When I was in Gagetown, I'd tell the Fredericton women that I was going to school to be a chef;  I didn't know anything  about the military.   :nod:

We’re you Herman Nelson or Karl Gustav?
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
« Reply #2510 on: December 18, 2017, 10:59:18 »
We’re you Herman Nelson or Karl Gustav?
Hi Im Captain Karl Gustav and I fly CF98s

:D

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #2511 on: December 18, 2017, 11:27:41 »
Every ship in the fleet had a sailor names LS Kelvin Hughes...

Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2512 on: December 19, 2017, 14:34:06 »

Is there a thread about you on Chef.ca?

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2513 on: December 19, 2017, 15:57:43 »
Is there a thread about you on Chef.ca?
Doubtful.  This was before Al Gore invented the internet.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2514 on: December 19, 2017, 16:11:27 »

So, other than you no longer being in Gagetown, what's changed?   :whistle:
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

jollyjacktar

« Reply #2515 on: February 09, 2018, 08:21:11 »
Go big or go home.   ;D

Man poses as Army Lt. Gen., goes to classified briefing and orders helicopter ride

Christian Gerald Desgroux impersonated an Army lieutenant general.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2018/02/man-poses-as-army-lt-gen-goes-to-classified-briefing-and-orders-helicopter-ride/

Offline Mason Jar

• Rate Post
« Reply #2516 on: February 09, 2018, 20:35:30 »
Go big or go home.   ;D
Now THAT is a ballsy move. Earned my respect!
Recruiting Center: Toronto
Regular/Reserve: Reserves
Officer/ NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Artillery Soldier
Trade Choice 2: Combat engineer
Trade Choice 3: Armoured Soldier
Application date: October 25, 2017
First Contact: October 26, 2017
Aptitude test: November 2, 2017 (passed)
FORCE test: November 2, 2017 (passed)
Medical: November 9, 2017
Interview: November 15, 2017 (passed)
Med approved: Pending

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2517 on: February 10, 2018, 09:10:43 »
Earned my respect!

Desgroux has pending charges, including an alleged assault on a female from April 2017; misuse of the 911 system and violating a domestic violence protection order from May 2017; felony conversion in November 2017; and interfering with emergency communications, felony fleeing to elude arrest, misuse of the 911 system and misdemeanor stalking from December 2017

"Respect"   ::)

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post

jollyjacktar

« Reply #2519 on: March 21, 2018, 21:32:31 »
This Walt was in here earlier.

Alberta man pleads guilty after posing as retired U.S. marine at Remembrance Day events
Peter Toth of Red Deer never served in military despite saying he was wounded in combat

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/stolen-valour-canada-impostor-fake-soldier-peter-toth-guilty-plea-1.4586443

Offline No Hel Like Tac Hel

• Rate Post
Red Deer, Alberta man found guilty of impersonating a US Marine
« Reply #2520 on: March 28, 2018, 02:15:13 »
Peter Toth, of Red Deer, AB has been found guilty of impersonating a US Marine during Remembrance Day Ceremonies at three local schools.  He was charged with three counts under Section 419 of the criminal code.  He plead guilty to two counts, fake medals and fake papers, after saying he was suffering from mental problems and now has PTSD.  One count of wearing an unauthorized uniform was dropped by the Crown.  Fake Soldier, Frank Gervais, famous for being interviewed on camera during the National Remembrance Day Ceremonies in 2014 received one year probation and 50 hours of community service.  During Peter Toth's trial, there were 10 veterans in the court watching him.  The judge sentenced Peter to 1 1/2 years of supervised probation and 200 hours of community service.  We would have liked more but a win is a win.  We feel the courts are seriously looking at fake soldiers and not letting them get away with it.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/red-deer-man-charged-for-impersonating-u-s-soldier-sentenced-1.3853126

Offline JesseWZ

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
Re: Red Deer, Alberta man found guilty of impersonating a US Marine
« Reply #2521 on: March 28, 2018, 02:19:46 »
This has been posted already in the Walts, Posers and Wannabes thread in Radio Chatter.
I will be seen and not heard... I will be seen and not heard... I will be seen and not heard...

Offline No Hel Like Tac Hel

• Rate Post
« Reply #2522 on: March 28, 2018, 02:32:23 »
10-4.  I was looking under Current Affairs.  I was just letting everyone know the good news.

Online Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #2523 on: March 28, 2018, 05:56:02 »
Anyone from NS familiar with a hunting store owner in Lantz that claims to be an ex SAS sniper ? 

Bought some ammo last night from a guy of CGN and started blabbering about this guy at Hnatiuk’s who is claiming to be an ex SAS Sniper. 

It sounds to me like a guy those credentials should be known by someone on this forum.

Now I am not that familiar with SOF folks but I would imagine these people are quiet professionals and don't go around advertising their qualifications, I could be wrong. 
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Nuggs

• Rate Post
« Reply #2524 on: March 28, 2018, 07:06:36 »
Anyone from NS familiar with a hunting store owner in Lantz that claims to be an ex SAS sniper ? 

Bought some ammo last night from a guy of CGN and started blabbering about this guy at Hnatiuk’s who is claiming to be an ex SAS Sniper. 

It sounds to me like a guy those credentials should be known by someone on this forum.

Now I am not that familiar with SOF folks but I would imagine these people are quiet professionals and don't go around advertising their qualifications, I could be wrong.
Peter Elliot

His self declared CV

Professional diplomas / certificates:
NS Provincial Firearms instructor. 
NS Provincial Hunter safety instructor.
British Military, All arms, Explosives, Map reading & Survival, CQB, Rappelling & Unarmed Combat instructor.
UKPSA, National instructor, Pistol, Rifle & Shotgun. 
ASLET, Police firearms and tactics instructor. 
BSAC, Sports diving instructor.
NPDS, Commercial Diver. 
Essex Police, Advanced driver, Offensive/defensive and surveillance driving. 
BAWLA, Olympic weightlifting instructor. 

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash."
Attributed to, and denied by, Winston Churchill