Author Topic: Running  (Read 110008 times)

Offline Rick Ruter

• Rick Ruter! Get it???
  • Rate Post
  • Griffon over iceberg off coast of NL
Re: Running
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 11:57:14 »
yeah the shoes where bad, I just didn't think they where THAT bad.  Before my ankles and calves where super hurting and my feet where swelling big time after only about 2k, but my last run was much much less painful right through to the end.  %200 improvement  ;D

Thanks for the support!

Johnny5, regardless of the shoe though if you change your running environment e.g. flat to hills you will likely experience soreness in your ankles and legs. That's why you should vary where you run so you get used to all types of terrain. Stay away from concrete road if you want to keep your original knees. Running on the grass boulevard (avoiding dog doodoo) is probably the best place to save your knees.
Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Offline Rick Ruter

• Rick Ruter! Get it???
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 12:07:00 »
Sorry to derail this, but just a quick question. I just applied to the CF for pilot in July, and haven't heard anything yet. I'm just wondering how long do I have to get up to shape before the testing starts? I have been running 3 times a week for 2 weeks now and am improving slowly (from abysmal to less abysmal). I can do push ups and sit ups but plan to work on them full out once school starts in a few weeks (nice free gym). I'm mostly scared out of my wits for running, and would welcome some advice regarding timelines and testing. I did some searches here and got a few results but none (that I could find) confirmed 100%. Some said the only testing was at BMQ, some said it was done at the CFRC, some it's a beep test, some it's a step test?

Any advice would be welcomed, and yes, if no one knows, I will call the CFRC. Thanks in advance.

Dave glad to hear you applied and good luck. Timeline wise, you are probably looking at a January IAP if all else goes through in time and you make the fall Officer selection. Running in the winter is awesome but can be dangerous if icy. Get some rubber grips from Running Room or similar store for your shoes. As a Reg Force candidate at CFLRS (St-Jean) you will do the 20m shuttle run the first week of IAP. It's not hard to pass if your cardio is good. We do not test Reg Force applicants at the CFRC anymore. Get your 2.4Km run down to below 10mins and you'll do fine on all morning runs.

Hope you get what you want. Cheers!
Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Offline Johnnyfive

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 15:25:01 »
I take almost the same route every time.  It has a few uphill sections and is about 2/3 on grass or dirt path.  Maybe I should note that I go up quite a long slope early on in the run.
I'm assuming the runs I do at BMQ will be fairly flat in comparison.

Offline DaveTee

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 15:27:19 »
Rick thanks for the advice. I should have mentionned that I am doing ROTP, most likely at Civie University so most likely summer course then I assume...But it's a huge relief that I have until the summer to get in shape. That means that I can whoop the minimums and not have to worry about fitness. Thanks very much.

Offline Rick Ruter

• Rick Ruter! Get it???
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 15:32:44 »
St-Jean and Farnham are pretty much flat bases so you're good to go. :salute:

ROTP selection is early Feb and yes you would do a summer IAP/BOTP. Be carefull about Civy U, you tend to do a lot of bicep curl with the guys at the local Pub and the training goes out the window unlike RMC where you do PT. Get yourself a membership at the University Gym and that way you have no excuse. Trust me, I've been there. :-[

mudrecceman

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 19:15:32 »
Rick thanks for the advice. I should have mentionned that I am doing ROTP, most likely at Civie University so most likely summer course then I assume...But it's a huge relief that I have until the summer to get in shape. That means that I can whoop the minimums and not have to worry about fitness. Thanks very much.

Not...have to worry about fitness??  In ROTP...to be an Officer in the CF?

::)

I would rethink that opinion if I were you...

Offline DaveTee

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 21:10:11 »
Mud Recce Man:
I meant really get into shape so that it's LESS of a worry. I'm well aware of the difficulty and need to be in top physical shape. That's why I'm starting now. Thanks for the encouragement anyways... :P

Offline Crisco

• Rate Post
  • I can't believe I ate the whole thing!
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2007, 11:16:30 »
I already know about the step test but a question about the shuttle.. My friend told me you have to do the beep test untill level 6.6 or something? What speed is that if anyone knows? If not no need to go out of ones way to find out, was just curious if it was strenuous enough to start working on sprinting as apposed to long distance cardio :S.
Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!

Offline Rick Ruter

• Rick Ruter! Get it???
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2007, 11:50:20 »
The level to achieve depends on your age group. Put it this way, when you reach level 8, you are running back and forth but you must keep the pace and not get ahead of the beat... or behind. The speed increases every 30secs (.5 level) and you will be in anaerobic mode pretty quickly. :pushup:

mudrecceman

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2007, 12:01:49 »
I already know about the step test but a question about the shuttle.. My friend told me you have to do the beep test untill level 6.6 or something? What speed is that if anyone knows? If not no need to go out of ones way to find out, was just curious if it was strenuous enough to start working on sprinting as apposed to long distance cardio :S.

Info on the standard required is on this thread, as well as what happens during BMQ or IAP/BOTP if you fail the testings.  Hoepfully this answers the question.  You could search under CF EXPRES TEST as well.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,64932.0.html

Offline Crisco

• Rate Post
  • I can't believe I ate the whole thing!
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2007, 12:38:14 »
Thank you very much both of you.
Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!

Offline Mustadio

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2007, 18:17:27 »
I was wondering if I could get a bit of advice. It looks like I'll be in the January course, if I'm extremely lucky I might still be able to get in the November course (would have been but an unforeseen medical problem has occurred that I need to get a note from my doctor, who is on vacation for another week).

anyways I find that when I run jog my muscles don't really tire out to the point that they make me stop, it's always my shortness of breath that makes me stop. How should I fix this 'problem' I want to run harder/faster because my muscles can take a lot more, but my lungs just can't keep up. I assume I should do slower jogs to build my cardio, but then I feel like I'm not working my muscles. Should I maybe do a lot of slower jogging to work my cardio, then do some sprints to work my muscles? Also what is the ideal speed to improve your cardio, I've heard it's at the speed where you're jogging, but you're still able to talk comfortably. Is this accurate? It seems too slow, doesn't seem to put much strain on the lungs that would help them improve.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

P.S. Currently I can run the 2.4k in about 11 minutes and 30 seconds. Like I said though, after running it, my muscles are fine, but I feel like my lungs are dead.

Offline Munxcub

• Rate Post
    • CrossFit Kelowna
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2007, 18:25:05 »
Well... I can't see running slow and long being much help at training you to run fast and long... Why not try things like several 400m "sprints" with a set amount of rest in between. Just like doing pushups is the best training for being able to do more pushups (same for situps, pullups, etc...) So don't worry about the "target ranges". Just run, run fast, run slow, run long distance, short distance, sprints, intervals, etc...

Offline Mustadio

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2007, 19:07:56 »
Sounds like a good idea, I have been meaning to do more sprint type work, since I have been working more on the slower paced running.

Offline plattypuss

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2007, 13:31:06 »
In addition to interval training as suggested by Munxcub, try Fartlek training which sort of incorporates the same ideas.  On your regular route try throwing in some sprints at irregular intervals along the way, after completing the sprint keep running but slow down into a recovery pace then when you want to do another sprint. I assume you're not a smoker, another option which may help is drop some weight if you are over weight.  You may wanna take a look at some running magazines as well - they are constantly full of running programs designed to improve your run.
Our plans miscarry because they have no aim. When a man does not know what harbor he is making for, no wind is the right wind.
       - Seneca

Offline walrath

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2007, 15:00:56 »
I have recently just got back into running from a 2 year hiatus to prepare for the PT test. I havent read every post in the thread so I may be repeating some things.

A few pointers I have learned throughout the years .

- first time out from inactivity, 2/3rds walking, 1/3rd running. keep your heart rate down and gradually work your way up to longer periods of sustained running and shorter periods of walking to recover. you'll make quicker progress

- on your days off running, find some stairs, and walk up them as many times as you can. but at a regular pace as to not risk injury.

- in the winter, either get access to a treadmill and run with an incline, find and indoor track, or find a shorter route that you can be sure it's salted and just loop it. nothing worse than wiping out on some ice after running for half an hour.

Offline Rayman

• Can't decide between 89th Bty or 8 CH.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2007, 15:09:06 »
Just my 0.02, I find that speed walking when youre first getting back into it helps too. The preset programs on most tredmills work you up to higher speeds as the workout goes on and that I found allows you to run longer when youre as out of shape as I am.
"Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank" - Peter Griffin.

Offline Munxcub

• Rate Post
    • CrossFit Kelowna
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2007, 15:22:14 »
Treadmills don't offer as much "work" as running on a track or outside. They are better then nothing tho. I think people think too much and make it more complicated then it needs to be. Do what you can, then do more. You should be out of breath, you should be uncomfortable, you should want to quit the whole time (but don't!)... if that's not the case then you aren't pushing hard enough. If you're way out of shape and plain old walking does that, then keep at it. If speed walking will, or light jogging, whatever. Don't be concerned with what others do, if you're pushing your limits then thats great. Push them hard enough and long enough and your limits will expand and you'll run faster and longer.

Offline walrath

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2007, 16:28:21 »
Treadmills definitely arent as much work, that is why you need to compensate by adding incline to the treadmill as well as increasing the distance/speed. there is a formula available to figure this out. if I find it, i'll post it.

Offline plattypuss

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2007, 08:10:35 »
Munx a useful quote to reinforce your comments:

"You’ve got to drive the body to the last inch of energy then go on! You gain nothing by just going up to where your body says you’re tired. The body will build and grow only to fit the demands the mind makes upon the lazy body. If all you do is exercise until the body is tired, the body will get lazy and stop a bit shorter every time. You must go to the point of exhaustion, then go on. That way the body figures out, “We’ve got to build up more strength if that crazy mind is going to drive this hard!” If you always quit when you are merely tired, you will never gain. Once you let the body tell the mind when to quit, you are whipped for sure. You can not gain by listening to the body. We can become much stronger if we drive the body. We use about on-tenth of the available strength of our bodies and less than that of our minds."
-General George Patton
Our plans miscarry because they have no aim. When a man does not know what harbor he is making for, no wind is the right wind.
       - Seneca

Offline JBoyd

• Attending CFLRS, Currently back in B.C. for the holiday break
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2007, 11:39:24 »
A truly great peice of knowledge
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein
"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." -- Henry Ford

Live your life in such a way, that when you wake up and your feet hit the floor, the Devil says "S*** It's awake!"

Nill illigitimi carborundum

Offline Gardiners1

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2007, 11:55:07 »
Yesterday I ran 4k in 21:40 which for my 37 year old body isn't too bad, especially considering the stiff wind I was running into the teeth of most of the way.  When I started running not long ago I was pretty whipped after even 2k and I was much slower so I feel I am making good progress. 

I was really starting to feel the effects of shin splints until I read some info on here about treating and preventing them.  I stretched everything out really well before my run yesterday and altered my style so that I was hitting heel first on each step.  Instead I was running more on the balls of my feet.  I also alternated heat and cold on my shins for awhile after the run.

Lo and behold I am having very little discomfort today which is a good thing especially considering I stretched out the distance compared to what I normally do.  I am pleased but not satisfied with my level of progress.  My next run, which will probably tomorrow, I want to do 5k and try to average about the same time per kilometre. 

Scott

Offline Munxcub

• Rate Post
    • CrossFit Kelowna
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2007, 12:50:42 »
Good work Gardiners. I mentioned somewhere on here (maybe this thread) that if you can run 2 km you can run 5, and if you can run 5 you can run 10. It comes back to driving the body like Plattypuss said a couple posts back.

I have no doubt that you could keep that pace for 5km.

Offline Spectrum

sociopath since 2007.

• I'm from the government; I'm here to help you
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2007, 23:30:29 »
Yeah...Running is ruining my legs slowly,

So I only run 3 times a week, a 2.4km a 5km and a 10km.

Even limping my 2.4km is faster then the majority, so I think it comes down to like you guys said motivation and driving the body. Some guys could run half assed 2x a day everday and still get beat by a determined individual.

Offline Gardiners1

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2007, 23:33:40 »
Good work Gardiners. I mentioned somewhere on here (maybe this thread) that if you can run 2 km you can run 5, and if you can run 5 you can run 10. It comes back to driving the body like Plattypuss said a couple posts back.

I have no doubt that you could keep that pace for 5km.

Thanks for the encouragement man.  Tomorrow I am going out to do my 5k run.  I think running in the windy conditions the last few times out has been helpful because I have had to work harder to complete my goal.  Adding 1/2 k or 1k each time has been working well so I think I will continue that.