Author Topic: Running  (Read 113424 times)

Offline JBoyd

• Attending CFLRS, Currently back in B.C. for the holiday break
  • Rate Post
Re: Running
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2007, 23:57:29 »
Good luck on your Phys Test Gardiners1, I have slowly tried to increase my running, after quiting smoking it has risen slowly. most of the time it is boredom that ruins my runs, so i am going to try music and see if that helps keep my mind off of any pain or fatigue. Most of my issue is cardio endurance so im also trying to control my breathing, which is also seeming to help
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein
"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." -- Henry Ford

Live your life in such a way, that when you wake up and your feet hit the floor, the Devil says "S*** It's awake!"

Nill illigitimi carborundum

Offline plattypuss

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2007, 08:21:37 »
Running with music definitely helps with the boredom of running, I believe it also helps me move a little faster. 
When I run I always try and exhale on a certain step ie when my right foot hits the ground every 3 or 4 steps, this allows me (if I start getting cramped up) to change it up and exhale of the left step which usually helps with getting rid of the crampy feeling you sometimes get when running hard. 
There are lots of programs available to get you prepared to run any distance including 5km so if you need help achieving a decent time or just a healthy way of building up to that distance take a look around the internet.

Good luck to you all.
Our plans miscarry because they have no aim. When a man does not know what harbor he is making for, no wind is the right wind.
       - Seneca

Offline Gardiners1

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2007, 09:14:04 »
Thanks JBoyd.  I always have my IPod Shuffle on for my runs.  It certainly helps, me at least, to have some music playing when I run.  The Shuffle is a great little device for running simply because of how small it is.  The thing is the size of a matchbook and clips nicely to my shorts or shirt.  I put some Social Distortion on there right now and some Dropkick Murphys and i'm good to go. :)

Offline Gardiners1

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2007, 15:32:17 »
So good news and bad news about my run today.  I was going to up the distance from the 4.1k route I had been doing, to a 5 k route.  Only problem is I forgot to run the new route I had planned so I ended up doing my 4.1k route again.  Sigh, brain is getting old.  Now the good news.  I shaved 58 seconds off my time from Wednesday.  21:50 on Wednesday, 20:52 today.  I'm pretty pumped up about it.

Scott.

Offline Rayman

• Can't decide between 89th Bty or 8 CH.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2007, 10:07:43 »
Well good job none the less. I found that my local convenience store is exactly 2.4 kms from the highway thats at the end of our street so now ive got a landmark. On the tredmill comments go figure the one I use the most has the elevation not working. Maybe a Carl Gustav will fix it.   

:rocket:
"Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank" - Peter Griffin.

Offline TN2IC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2007, 17:10:14 »
Treadmills don't offer as much "work" as running on a track or outside. They are better then nothing tho. I think people think too much and make it more complicated then it needs to be. Do what you can, then do more. You should be out of breath, you should be uncomfortable, you should want to quit the whole time (but don't!)... if that's not the case then you aren't pushing hard enough. If you're way out of shape and plain old walking does that, then keep at it. If speed walking will, or light jogging, whatever. Don't be concerned with what others do, if you're pushing your limits then thats great. Push them hard enough and long enough and your limits will expand and you'll run faster and longer.

I have to say Munxcub is bang on. I have been running outside for the past month or so, compared to the treadmill. And wow, I can see and feel a difference from the two.
Also make sure you get a jogging buddy to keep you going. Even if he/she will run you into the ground. It's a good work out.  ;)

Offline Gardiners1

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2007, 09:28:13 »
Well, I gave myself four days off from running this week because I was really concerned with the pain in my shins.  So yesterday I gave it a go again and completed a 5.2km route without much trouble. My pace was a little slower than normal because that was the longest distance I have covered but it was still in the acceptable range.  The even better news is that I had no pain in my shins afterwards. I iced them down again just in case but they feel fine.  My PT is next Wednesday and I am pretty confident right now.  Thanks as always for reading.

Offline TacticalW

• Iceman = Ninja
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2007, 05:57:12 »
I'll just mention my running plan for anyone who's interested. Just keep in mind this is going to require a gym and a treadmill.

If you're just starting from a month+ break or... just starting. Concentrate on speed-walking for the first few weeks with a bit of jogging at the end before starting up my little program. When you initially start, go from a 3.8-5.4 for the first portion, stay on a speed of 5.4 for the core running (5 minutes first) and go from 5.4-6 for the last 3 minutes. Stay on that and from there progress up until you get to 20 minutes on the core portion, 5 minutes for the final portion (which would mean going from 5.4-6.4). The first step is to get your endurance up and that's what the next few weeks is all about. Once you reach that bench-mark though increase the speed of the core/final-push by 0.1 and lower the time in those areas to a point where you're comfortable, work up from there and once you reach the maximum time increase it by 0.1 again. Don't be satisfied until you reach at least 6.4 speed for the Core Running. Remember, 1km=5minutes and taking less time to finish that and over long distances is even better. Don't be satisfied with minimum or average performance, do your damn best to be the best and encourage everyone else to take the same course. Do your best to take daily trips to the gym, try to go consistently - but a break day in-between every 2+ days is fine - especially if you're feeling soreness.

Keep in mind that it's very useful doing muscle-workouts for the legs on the side with running. Do whatever you can for Quadriceps (prevents knee pains too, at least an excercise for this is very recommended), Hamstrings and Calf if you've got the time. Always to stretches before you start anything and again after running. It's fine if you do 1 set of reps for the leg workouts but 2 is recommended with 10-15 reps. If you can't do 10 with a certain weight lower it and if you go above 15 make the weight higher.

start the treadmill
Warm-up: 5 minutes --> going from speed-walking to running (helps prevent cramps and obviously is a warmup)
Core Running: 5-XX minutes --> This is where you maintain the running pace through the core of it - obviously this builds up your endurance
Final Push: 3-6 minutes --> This would be the last portion of the run where you raise the running speed by 0.2 every minute starting at 0 - by having this burst of speed at the end, running will feel easier

Right now as an example - here's my stats at the moment - and FYI the numbers at the right represent the speed level on treadmills.
Warm-up: 5 minutes --> 3.8-6.6 speed
Core Running: 12 minutes --> 6.6 speed
Final Push: 5 minutes --> 6.6-7.6 (increasing by 0.2 per minute starting at 0)
Total Distance: 3.2 miles (5.14 kilometres)
Total Time: 27 minutes

I run daily and have been for a long time getting ready for the recruitment process and BMQ - started long before I sent in the application and I recommend the same for anyone else.

I hope I haven't missed anything or messed something up, pretty late at the moment. This has worked great for me, I used to run outside but bottomline is that I prefer the treadmill so I can gauge the exact distance/speed I'm running and keep everything organized and progress consistent. This is working "great" for me.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 20:07:04 by TacticalW »

Offline JBoyd

• Attending CFLRS, Currently back in B.C. for the holiday break
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2007, 11:51:39 »
Personally I dont like the treadmill, I find it very useless in regards to actual running. But thats just me.

I have found from personal experience that if you are having trouble in the cardio endurance department, slow down your gait. I went from long stride jogging 1 - 1.2 km and feeling it in my lungs to 2.5 - 3 km by slowing down and doing something similar to a double time march.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein
"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." -- Henry Ford

Live your life in such a way, that when you wake up and your feet hit the floor, the Devil says "S*** It's awake!"

Nill illigitimi carborundum

Offline Civvymedic

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2007, 12:04:33 »
Tactical W,

Good tips.

3.2 miles is the same as 5.14 km. Not 7, Unless I missed something.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2007, 12:36:40 »
......And I see we are rehashing what has already been posted in so many other threads on Running and Physical Fitness.  Do we really need ten thousand topics on the same thing?  Is your question so unique that you figure it hasn't been asked before?  Does the date of a post, really invalidate it?   ::)
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2008, 01:28:59 »
Jogging is all fine and good but it is not what you should be doing to get in real shape.  The problem with fitness and I have noticed this a lot within the military is people seem to think they are going to get fit just by jogging, doing pushups and situps... what you are doing crisco is fine to begin with but once you reach the 5km mark you will find that you will plateau.  As someone said on here before if you can run 5km ... you can run 10km and so forth .... this is what is known as aerobic fitness... the problem you will encounter is you will never be able to increase speed or your intensity level and this is what real fitness training is all about... The type of training you need to start doing is what we call anerobic fitness.  This type of training is simply forcing your muscles to take in more oxygen so that they can work harder for longer periods of time....

What I suggest is you find yourself a good sprint program, and do interval training and fartlekking... doing this sort of training will allow you to see real results...  Also combine this training with plyometrics, core training and weight training.... hitting the weights is so important.... you will find that you will plateau at around 40 pushups if you hit the weights you will easily add another 20 to 30 pushups to that limit.  I used to be able to do 40 pushups, and that was it i would practice but not get any better, I put 20lbs of bulk on and I can break 70 now and to tell you the truth I didn't do any pushups to increase that.... I did a combination of weight training, and core strengthening to get there and voila if you do that you will be cranking them off in no time and you will be a lot stronger to boot... 

I am lucky in the fact that I am a varsity rugby player and our team is provided access to a fulltime kinesiologist who works with us and provides us with individual training programs.  If there is one thing he taught me about fitness its all about working smarter not harder which is something I think they forget sometimes when they do physical fitness in the military.  I have noticed a trend especially when observing lets say a PAT platoon... or whatever they call it now that the fitness instructors tend to focus a lot on simply trying to get these people to pass the Expres test.... while thats fine and dandy I think if they would like to see some real improvement in these individuals they need to get them out and show them how to train properly....

Just my two cents....

Just my two cents

Offline consumed

• Rate Post
Short term running program?
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2008, 01:32:47 »
I need some advice on running and a program to work with (Short term).  I started running about a month ago when I first applied, right now I can run for about 15 minutes although I have not yet tested my time/length.  To build up my speed as I currently run at a slow-medium jog speed, what should I be looking to do?  (I run on a indoor track) My program right now is: Power walk for 15minutes to warm-up, then jog (slow-med speed) for 10-15minutes, power walk for 5, then jog for another 10-15min, then walk again for another 10 minutes.  I know I need to get my speed up, I'm just not sure which is the best route as numerous friends tell me different things.  I'm running everyday as well.

Cheers

Offline Aden_Gatling

• Rate Post
  • Action is eloquence.
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2008, 11:48:21 »
A good place to start: http://runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-380-381-386-0,00.html

P.S> Running every day is generally not a good way to start.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Offline RandomAVS

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2008, 12:22:40 »
Nope, running every day can do more harm than good. Alternate it with a long walk or a hike in the woods, does more good than harm that way.

Offline Lune

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2008, 14:22:53 »
My current program, after about a two-year hiatus from any intense physical activity is as follows:

5KM RUN @ 70-80% max heartrate (aerobic capacity). 4 minute warmup/cooldown.
2.4KM RUN @ 80-90% max heartrate (anaerobic capacity). 5 minute warmup/cooldown.

Sunday: Rest day
Monday: 5km @ 70-80%
Tuesday: 5km @ 70-80%
Wednesday: 2.4km @ 80-90%
Thursday: 5km @ 70-80%
Friday: 5km @ 70-80%
Saturday: 2.4km @ 80-90%

I just started this program so I'll see how it works. Once I get a superior time for the 2.4km I'll replace one of the 5km's with an interval run, and one with a negative split run, and possibly increase the distances.
A man with something to live for is more dangerous than a man with nothing to live for.

Offline the_midge

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2008, 03:02:21 »
Lune - for your 2.4k run, are you sprinting flat out, or are you working in intervals? If you're able to maintain pace for more than a couple of minutes at a time, you're more than likely not working your anaerobic capacity.
"Politics is for people who have a passion for changing life but lack a passion for living it" -- Tom Robbins

Offline Steel Horse

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2008, 13:42:41 »
Correct me if  I am wrong, but for a true anaerobic workout you would want to do something like:

warm-up
1 km run/jog
0.5 km print with everything you've got

I used to do something like this before I got hurt.

Offline Fireball

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2008, 14:30:37 »
Hi,

When I was in the reserves, the summer PT during training mainly consisted of running (and 100s of pushups through out the day).  I ran "ok" but really had problems when I was running in formation behind several people, and that is what tired me out quickly more than anything else. I suspect it's because I have longer than average legs and my stride was longer than others.  What happens is when someone is out of lockstep with the group it throws the rythm off and then everyone starts going accordian-style which varys the pace trying to catch-up and slowing down, while making sure no one is stepped on.   When we formed up and I was at the front of the squad then I had no problems

My suggestion is to run with a partner if you can - or maybe a running group of sorts.  The group rythm is probably more important during long distance runs.  What killed me during the runs was the back pair sprinting to the front of the group and repeating throughout the 5-10ks.

J

Offline jacksparrow

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2008, 11:34:31 »
I plant to do 11 minutes or less for my 2.4km run this coming weekend, after only managing 22 minutes for 2.67km this past weekend. This was partly my fault, as I didn't do any warm-ups, and just started sprinting from my front door.

For the experts on here....how would you advice me to take on the 2.4km run for someone my age group, 35 and over? Shoould I Start out jogging up to a point and then sprint?

Cheers

Offline Bplante

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2008, 13:52:31 »
The best way to manage a run from 1k to a marathon, is to be able to run the second half faster than the first one. If you're running for long time you should know what's your average pace. Based on that numer run the first part at this pace and the second a bit faster.

Offline jacksparrow

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2008, 10:11:56 »
So I went out this morning, and did the 2.4km in 16:26mins, this is an improvement on my 22:01mins from last week. I am not happy with this time obviously, and want to bring it down to within the allowed time for people my age group, 35 and over.

This time around, I didn't start of sprinting, I warmed up and then started slow, before increasing my pace. The path behind my house am running on, is a long path with fine gravel. I know I can do the time expected, but running alone doesn't help when you have no one to push you.

I have 3 full marathons under my belt ( London, LA and Stockholm ).All the people here that have done the 2.4km under 11mins, was this on a threadmill or on the road? My running shoes were chosen to fit my leg posture at the running room, and they are the new balance 858 activeR.

Offline Bplante

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2008, 10:33:04 »
Training for marathon and training for shorter distance isn't the same thing at all ! As you know for marathon you have to do a lot of endurance doing long and slow run. For shorter dfistance, you have to work on interval and sprint. You body has to learn to run fast !

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2008, 10:46:45 »
JS,

You'll find that the 858 is a bot lighter than its previous models (like the 857).  I am currently training for a half (already have a few half and full under my belt).  During the week I will run 6-8 km and tend to really put it all out there for the 6 km runs.  Don't run your shorter runs the same pace you do for the long runs.  It's only 2.4 km.  Get out there and try to go a little faster than is comfortable and don't let your mind wander.  Really, for a distance like that for someone who can put otu longer distances, it really is mind over matter.  If you start thinking it's hurting, tell yourself it's only about 15 minutes.  Compared to the 3+ hrs it takes for the full marathon (5+ in my case  ;D) it really makes it that much easier!
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline jacksparrow

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2008, 12:21:54 »
Thanks fellas! I know I can do this, and in my hay days, I could have blasted thru' 2.4km in 9 mins or less. My last full 26.2 miles marathon in LA, was 8 years ago. I am now 35 and been married for 5yrs. See what marriage does to ya  ;D

Running alone doesn't help either, I know if I was in a group, I'll be pushing to finish top as long as there is a good pace.

So what happens at St jean if God forbids one doesn't manage to come in under the time specified? I just seem to have too much on my plate right now, I am learning to swim 3 days a week and trying to squeeze in running every other day. Also am on the road 4hrs a day driving to and from work.