Author Topic: Incindental Expense Allowance [Merged]  (Read 26524 times)

Offline Petard

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Once a gunner, always a gunner
Re: Incidentals/Claim Pay
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2007, 19:17:52 »
It doesn't matter if you're reg or reserve
How's about 2 months+ for a return?
That's how long it took for my claim for travel to KAF to be finalized
..and that's with buggin' Gagetown MPSS weekly a month after I got back (not Gagetown's fault BTW, the claim was idling in KAF).
I understand it is one helluva load for the clerks there, and in the middle of a rotation to boot, but that's ridiculous
Sometimes there's no accounting for other peoples actions (or in-actions for that matter)

aesop081

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 19:21:37 »
My previous unit and my new unit , do not give us claim advances as were are supposed to have that stupid AMEX card. I hate having the card as it seems one more thing to worry about.

I like cash advances but I just follow policy.

Local policy for sure.......

I have AMEX as well but unless its a last minute trip, i dont leave without an advance.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 19:30:14 »
OK

Time to wade in.

All members of the Reg and Res Force must now have a DWAN account.  They must have access to Outlook on the DIN, as soon as possible after they are 'enlisted'.

For you who have not yet been introduced to CLAIMS - X.......wait for it.

All members of the CF are now expected to do their own claims by using ClaimsX.  Prior to departure the member is responsible to fill out their itinerary, accommodations and rations, advances, etc.  They will then submit their 'draft' claim (Claim in progress) electronically to their authorizing authority (Usually their Unit Fin Clerk) and then PRINT it.   This printout is taken to the OR for an authorizing signature and then is used as the "Route Letter".   On their return, the member will call up their claim in progress and complete it.   They will once again print it, and attach all their receipts to it.  They submit it again electronically, and bring in the 'Finished' Claim that they printed to the OR, replacing the first page with the first page of their draft claim/Route Letter which has the authorizing signatures.  

If there is a problem with your Direct Deposit, as was mentioned in a previous post, the member will receive an email from Ottawa requesting Banking information to be Faxed to them.  In my case, my Fin Clerk had kept the samples of our VOID cheques on record and it was a simple matter of faxing a copy off to the number provided in the email.

The Direct Deposit does not take very long and is usually in you bank account in less than 12 days.  

Any prolonged delays in Claims today are not usually the result of the System, but of the member not submitting the required documentation.

For those who have yet to be introduced to ClaimsX, your day is coming soon.  It can be a very frustrating procedure when you first get into it, but in the end, it greatly speeds up the process.  When you first load it on your computer, logoff before you try to use it or you will get error messages and be tempted to throw your monitor out a window, over a cubicle or off a bridge.  Make sure you have all your Banking info ready when you first logon, and be prepared to have to Fax it off to Ottawa.  Once you are set, you can go in and review all your claims over the years.

Because of processes like ClaimsX and Security Clearances, all members of the CF must now have a DWAN account as soon as they join.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 19:33:43 by George Wallace »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

aesop081

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 19:36:19 »

All members of the CF are now expected to do their own claims by using ClaimsX.

You could not be further from the truth George.  I certainly do not do my own claims, the SOR does that.  When its ready for pickup, they email me. The only thing ClaimsX has changed for me is that now, i have to go back to the OR when the staff there are done finalizing my claim and sign it before i can get my money.  I used to just sign it when i brought it back saving everyone a visit to the OR

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007, 19:47:27 »
As I said........"Wait for it!"

You will soon be doing everything yourself, except the signatures.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

aesop081

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2007, 19:49:52 »
As I said........"Wait for it!"

You will soon be doing everything yourself, except the signatures.

Been dealing with ClaimsX for months.......

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 19:52:57 »
If you have, then you have some of the 'nicest' Clerks in the CF or one's who really don't trust you to know how to fill in blank forms.

I don't mind having a Clerk do it all for me..........I'm not a Clerk, but times are changing, and now I can control my own Claims........next my Pay!   >:D

aesop081

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2007, 20:03:58 »
If you have, then you have some of the 'nicest' Clerks in the CF or one's who really don't trust you to know how to fill in blank forms.

George, i think i work in differing circumstances.  I dont go on TD twice a year...more like twice a month. The crew lists change right up to the day before deployement and sometimes during the night before. Whe we need a part on the other side of the planet, the poor private technician who has to fly comercial to bring them gets to have his claim and bookings done by the duty clerk. Yes, i do have some of the best clerks available. Heck, i already have my claim for next week and my advance is already DFT'ed !!

next my Pay!   >:D

Now that is crazy talk

Offline Petard

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Once a gunner, always a gunner
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2007, 21:22:15 »
Actually George for a lot of units there is no other way to make it work other than to leave the task in the OR. If you have regular access to your DWAN account, fine, but if not (for example someone returning from leave and going straight to the field or other task), then how else could it get done in a timely way?
All I'm getting at is that people need to be prepared for possible delays, but if they see them happening to not let it drift.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2007, 21:44:39 »
No ClaimsX at my last location in the Orderly Room ... although they did try to push it out to us.

But, with the head cashier being in a different province (thus one would need an entire claim all by itself just to go turn in the claim to get an advance on the advance for the advance!!), they eventually agreed that the best and most efficient system for us and the personnel we support would be to allow us to continue with our standing advance kept in civie bank account. We then draft the cheques off that account.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 21:47:19 by ArmyVern »
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline HFXCrow

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2007, 21:58:47 »
don't they push the AMEX card on you for advances! I haven't had an advance on a claim in 5 yrs.

Enjoying the ride and doesn't want to get off

aesop081

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2007, 22:01:15 »
don't they push the AMEX card on you for advances! I haven't had an advance on a claim in 5 yrs.

Nope.....my AMEX is there for those trips where i make an unplanned landing away from home or very last minute trips where theres just no time to have claims made and advances drawn.  The rest of the time i get a cash advance (for US funds) or DFT

Offline HFXCrow

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2007, 22:05:43 »
I envy you, I would like to cut the card up.

I wonder if there is a National Policy on this, or just units SOP's?

aesop081

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2007, 22:12:19 »

PO2finclerk can hopefully shed some light on that for you next time hes around. I suspect your situation is a unit SOP.

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2007, 22:27:30 »
PO2finclerk can hopefully shed some light on that for you next time hes around. I suspect your situation is a unit SOP.

Corporate VISAs are the answer for those of us in MH. All aircraft captains have had to do an expenditure management course since the new thing for us will be a Visa issued to the AC to pay for fuel, rental cars, lodgings for the crew, etc. The only thing people will be paying for will be meals, pretty much everything else goes on the Visa and it's billed to the Sqn.
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

aesop081

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2007, 22:30:12 »
Corporate VISAs are the answer for those of us in MH. All aircraft captains have had to do an expenditure management course since the new thing for us will be a Visa issued to the AC to pay for fuel, rental cars, lodgings for the crew, etc. The only thing people will be paying for will be meals, pretty much everything else goes on the Visa and it's billed to the Sqn.

Yeah , we have corporate AMEX for rental cars, hotels and stuff like that.  Usualy for fuel we have the contract cards in the AMRS book but the corporate AMEX can be used for that too.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2007, 22:33:31 »
I use my AMEX for TDs to Ottawa etc for briefings/WGs/Conferences.

Trips here and there between Gage/PEI/Halifax/Moncton ... claim or MTEC, dependant upon where I'm off to and for how long.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline FinClk

• Scallywag
  • Rate Post
  • Ahoy, the chocalate chip kind.
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2007, 08:25:14 »
Vern, I can only venture to guess that she did not properly convey her message through written format. Also know that not so long ago if a person had not finalized your claim within 14 days of your return, I gladly recovered those funds because they had been clearly advised of the time requisite, all they had to do is submit their claim within 2 weeks. However these days, although the books still read that recovery is to occur within 14 days, the kinder gentler military does not condone it. Rather we are now expected to them emails reminding them, granting them additional time, calling them etc etc All this time wasted chasing someone down when a quick recovery solved the issue. Not to mention that once they had the monies recovered once, oddly enough those folks were never late with their claims after. But I reminisce in the good ol’ Fin Clk days.

Recceguy & Roy, the vast amounts of information these days and in the way it is all disseminated truly hinders anyone’s ability to know the RMS field in great depth and exactitude. Only through the sharing of our knowledge can we hope to present accurate and timely advice. I too welcome your input which allows me to broaden my field.

also we got a whole new crew in the OR so that might have something to do with it.
Also consider that ClaimsX Web is a new application just recently launched with Clerks all but left to themselves to figure out. Those combined can be conducive to longer wait times.

The intial intent with the advent of ClaimsX was for members/claimants to raise their own claim prior to sending to be Section 32’d, and upon return to complete the claim prior to sending for Section 34. That was (and based on George’s post still is) the intent behind ClaimsX, however that has simply not been the practice in area I have ever seen or heard of. The primary duty remains with the clerk with the exception of some Executive/Admin Assistants to the upper echelons for the most part. But, before the complete devolution of this occurs, much work remains to be done on the ClaimsX Web to ensure it is “fool proof” (or realistically as much as possible) as without it wall fall back to the clerks.

In fact, yes it is National Policy and not a unit SOP (sorry Aviator) The intent (one of them anyways) for the AMEX DTC (not to be confused with the GTC which you may also have Aviator) was to allow individuals the flexibility to travel without the requirement for any advances. The end goal being to reduce the amount of advances which in turn severely affect a Cashier’s WCF, reducing its capability by tying up excessively large sums in Cash Vouchers. Bean counter talk aside – advances were and still are a very large liability for the CF. Through the use of the AMEX DTC (ITC was its predecessor) advances would no longer be issued reducing the liability not to mention reducing costs is some aspects – such as insurance on Rental Vehicle covered by AMEX.

The long and short of it is that pers who hold and AMEX DTC are not supposed to be issued advances unless it is for the purpose of paying off their bill due to a claim not being finalized in due time. FAM 1016-7-3 Para 30 refers.

To get back on the initial topic, as many have mentioned contact your OR (or whomever you submitted your claim to) to see if anything was missing. If not then they can query through the chain as to the status of claim. However individual circumstances by ASU’s/CFB’s, Wing’s etc can also curtail the length of time your claim takes to be finalized. Despite any references which can be quoted, some bases across Canada are as far as 6 weeks (some more) in the finalization of claims. Many reasons exist for these delays but I however do not agree that it be deemed acceptable. Ignorance is no excuse, the same applies to professional incompetence (harsh maybe but justified based on what I have witnessed in recent years).

Now that I am getting carpal tunnel, I think it is time for my morning coffee. Hoping this has helped any.

aesop081

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2007, 13:05:14 »
(sorry Aviator)

I'm just glad you came along and explained the process. What happens at my unit is how i described .

Offline TN2IC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2007, 13:21:44 »
That was a very helpful/ useful topic. I am currently on a road trip right now. And us truckers live by the AMEX card. Just as long as you submit your paper work after you fine. It is pretty helpful for those last mintue details. ie... This one.  ;D

Wow.. c'est Quebec!
au revoir!

;D

I have a village to pillage!
Arr... he har...

Offline HFXCrow

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2007, 13:43:52 »
PO2FinCLk:
Thanks for the answer on the AMEX and the National Policy. Now I can quit whining. But for the record I dont like it!

When I flew with TAL a couple of years back, the Navigator held all the cash for meals and paid for everything else! Awesome system! It seems similar to the LRP way that CDNAviator described.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 13:48:08 by HFXCrow »

aesop081

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2007, 13:52:52 »

When I flew with TAL a couple of years back, the Navigator held all the cash for meals and paid for everything else! Awesome system! It seems similar to the LRP way that CDNAviator described.

TAL used the bulk Claim concept.  Meaning there were no individual claims for TD.  The nav drew a large amount of cash and gave you your TD entitlement.  The poor guy woud have to account for all this himself, paperwork and all.

We dont dont do that. Crew memebers take care of their own TD claims and get their own money.  The crew commander has the corporate AMEX and pays the Hotel and car rental bills only.

Offline FinClk

• Scallywag
  • Rate Post
  • Ahoy, the chocalate chip kind.
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2007, 15:35:19 »
The crew commander has the corporate AMEX and pays the Hotel and car rental bills only.
Just FYI for all, the GTC (Group Travel Card) I mentioned is also referred to as the Corporate AMEX.

Offline HFXCrow

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2007, 16:20:01 »
I remember the Enroute days, but it was an option back then

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Why do we get an Incindental Expense Allowance?
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2017, 14:03:40 »
When we go away on course, or an exercise, everyone gets Incidental Expense for the entire time they are away. Claims-X automatically applies it, and I've seen it given across the board.

However, chapter 7 and 8 of the CFTDTIs start with the same requirementes for application:

7.01 — APPLICATION

this chapter applies to a member who:
(a) is on TD or on an attached posting;
(b) is travelling between their place of duty and another duty location, both of which are in Canada or the Continental United States of America (CANUS); and
(c) is authorized to occupy accommodations overnight.

The key here is "between". Once you arrive at the "other" duty location, you are no longer travelling "between" locations, and therefore, Chapter 7, and the benefits contained therein, no longer apply to you.

Since incidentals are a sub-paragraph of chapter 7 (and 8), it would then follow that you would no longer be entitled to the incidental expense allowance.

So, why does everyone I've ever seen go on a tasking or training course earning Incidental Expense Allowance when they were required to stay in accommodations? It doesn't seem to follow the official reference.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!