Author Topic: Keeping wounded in CF - merged super-thread  (Read 131865 times)

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Keeping wounded in CF - merged super-thread
« Reply #450 on: October 09, 2017, 14:00:29 »
I too am on the fence to some degree as well.  I know there are folks who can still contribute in a meaningful way to the machine, but if those who can deploy get left holding the bag and burned out with no escape from the treadmill, they'll vote with their feet.  That, is unsustainable in a small military like ours.  It is because of this type of situation in the navy that we're in deep trouble with keeping ships at sea that we are today and it's only going to get worse in the marine engineering world.  All this trade amalgamation has done is added fuel to the fires of discontent that was already there with pier head jumping amongst the Stokers and has now spread to the ET and HT.

I think that's an accurate assessment, the fires are burning.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #451 on: October 09, 2017, 14:11:20 »
I can't say I'm thrilled by this idea. While I accept that there is a need to accommodate those pers who for whatever reason are not deployable, there is a certain threshold where it starts to impact overall operational capability. What happens when a small occupation crosses that threshold, or a unit is carrying too many people with restrictions? I foresee greater instances of burnout as the same folks get deployed even more often than they do now.

I'm also not convinced that a salary bump is going to have the desired effect. You can't cure a person with dollars. Injuries and illnesses take time, and some people never return to operation status. We (and they) should accept that this is a reality and we should invest in a robust transition programme that is more than mere words about priority hiring and so forth.

We should make much better use of things like SCAN, by turning it way from its current medical release focus, and redirect the energies to transition planning starting during recruit training. There should be a review at least at the end of each period of engagement. It's past too late to plan your civilian life when you have your release message in your hands. I recognize that it is not the job of the CF to prepare you for your second career, but I think there is a moral obligation to not release folks who are subsequently unemployable.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #452 on: October 09, 2017, 17:41:08 »
As it stands now, some folks might be retained on accommodation for up to 3 years.  That gives the CF time to recruit, train, get to OFP and beyond perhaps, the "next person" who will replace them.

What if a mbr is injured (PCAT type injury) 2 months after signing their IE25.  Then what?  We have a mbr who cannot deploy for XX years, who takes the non-deploy billets in their trade?  This will have a cumulative effect.

Bonus for staying deployable?  What happens when a small trade like mine already is maxed out and a few more people go onto the "Cl B type TOS" list. 
Pilot, RADAR...turn right, heading...3-6-5...

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #453 on: October 09, 2017, 18:55:48 »
We were briefed on ILP about this. My understanding is there will be major culture change that will need to happen. In a nutshell, they are looking at revamping the system to have a Reg Force without restrictions, Reg Force with restrictions, Res Force without restrictions and Res Force with restrictions. The main difference between with or without restrictions would be deployability and postings. Also, a financial bonus on the salary would be provided to encourage members to be in the "without restrictions" category.

Full Time Unrestricted;
Part Time Unrestricted;
Full Time Restricted;
Part Time Restricted.

Of course the greatest financial incentives will go to the unrestricted group.

Did they also brief the "CFB Canada" concept?  Federal Health Cards for all family members that will be utilized nation-wide vice having to switch up with every province (apparently having issues getting la belle province on-board with this) amongst the other items?

Indeed, the times they are a changing ...and it's looking for the better in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 18:59:36 by ArmyVern »
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #454 on: October 09, 2017, 19:03:36 »
...I'm also not convinced that a salary bump is going to have the desired effect. You can't cure a person with dollars. Injuries and illnesses take time, and some people never return to operation status. We (and they) should accept that this is a reality and we should invest in a robust transition programme that is more than mere words about priority hiring and so forth.

They aren't ignoring "transition" while they deal with the other items.  Huge change is also coming in that area.

Register here:

https://www.metforce.ca/met/en/

Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #455 on: October 09, 2017, 19:11:13 »
There is significant risk in over-promising in many areas.  When you have a potential need for legislative change, regulatory change, and policy & process changes, those take significant time to achieve; right now, there's a conceptual framework that briefs well on PowerPoint, and is about that deep.

So don't count on any of these conceptual ideas for your next few postings.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 19:14:54 by dapaterson »
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #456 on: October 09, 2017, 20:22:27 »
So don't count on any of these conceptual ideas for your next few postings.

Molasses indeed.  I'll be out before most come to fruition.  Slow and cold.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

jollyjacktar

« Reply #457 on: October 09, 2017, 21:10:25 »
They aren't ignoring "transition" while they deal with the other items.  Huge change is also coming in that area.

Register here:

https://www.metforce.ca/met/en/
I attended their career fair last month.  It was very slick, promised the sun and the moon too.  So far, l have been underwhelmed with the website.  Lots of bugs to work out.  It's felt like an election campaign, lots of promises but less substance.  If they do make it match promises, will be a fine thing to see.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #458 on: October 09, 2017, 21:29:58 »
I attended their career fair last month.  It was very slick, promised the sun and the moon too.  So far, l have been underwhelmed with the website.  Lots of bugs to work out.  It's felt like an election campaign, lots of promises but less substance.  If they do make it match promises, will be a fine thing to see.

I know a few who've registered and are very impressed ... especially those with job offers and the one with the small business mentor who is really helping him out.

It's a month old so of course there's still bugs to be worked out ... just like generations-old iphones still get program updates to this day.

It's a non-profit so the slick is quite OK with me ... because it's the right thing to do.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

jollyjacktar

« Reply #459 on: October 09, 2017, 21:38:23 »
I know a few who've registered and are very impressed ... especially those with job offers and the one with the small business mentor who is really helping him out.

It's a month old so of course there's still bugs to be worked out ... just like generations-old iphones still get program updates to this day.

It's a non-profit so the slick is quite OK with me ... because it's the right thing to do.

That's fantastic news if some are finding success.  This group's hearts in the right place.  I truly hope they are outstanding in their success rate and results.