Author Topic: HMCS Ojibwa sub enroute to London-area museum  (Read 48457 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Almost parked....
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2012, 22:13:42 »
The HMCS Ojibwa is nearly home.

Home, for the last of Canada’s Oberon class submarines, is the Elgin Military Museum in Port Burwell, Ontario on the north shore of Lake Erie.

When it was decommissioned from the Royal Canadian Navy in 1998, the vessel was destined to be scrapped, but a movement to save the ship resulted in it becoming the property of the museum. The plan is for the museum to turn the HMCS Ojibwa into a land-based historical artifact located next to the Elgin Military Museum of Naval History—a submarine interpretation centre—and now that plan is entering its final stage.

The sub arrived at the port November 27th. It was originally scheduled to have arrived the week before, but ongoing dredging work at the port proved insufficient to provide clearance for the sub and the barge that carried it from Hamilton, Ontario. With the work complete, and an obstruction (believed to be an old seawall) cleared, the barge and sub were free to dock.

On November 28th, 2012 the sub is to be lifted off the barge and placed into the concrete cradles that will be its permanent home ....
canadianmanufacturing.com, 27 Nov 12

“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: HMCS Ojibwa sub enroute to London-area museum
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2012, 06:49:14 »
Being hauled ashore:

Source: Brantford Expositor
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline Steelheader

• Rate Post
Re: HMCS Ojibwa sub enroute to London-area museum
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2017, 23:32:36 »
I was finally able to visit this summer. What a great experience! It was a real treat to be able to take the kids aboard, and see some Canadian Maritime history. I look forward to the extended tour next time I'm able. This sailor says BZ to the Elgin Military Museum, what a hidden treasure. Port Burwell is well worth the visit: for OJIBWA; for the beach; and, for the fresh lake fish dinners. Thanks for a great day.
"They that go down to the sea in ships
and occupy their business in great waters;
these men see the works of the Lord and His wonders in the deep." Psalm 107, v. 23-24