Author Topic: The Martial Arts Superthread  (Read 50369 times)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
The Martial Arts Superthread
« on: March 29, 2003, 12:19:00 »
Does anyone know if theres martial arts schools in petawawa or that area?
I remember at one time there was a ju-jitsu club.
Im Hoping theres a taekwondo school or Akido school.

Thanks
There are no wolves on Fenris

babicma

Military Martial Arts
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 11:18:00 »
I‘ve been training the Russian Martial Art in Hamilton and Toronto on and off for the last year and a half and I find it to be very good. Its a ancient russian martial art that is utilized by the Spetznaz and other Russian special forces. I‘ll post the site and if anyone around the areas of the schools are interested i suggest you take a class or two to check it out. Its good, cheap and pretty relaxed atmosphere.

http://www.russianmartialart.com

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Martial arts in petawawa? (Aikido, taekwondo)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 16:26:18 »
Is there anywhere in Petawawa that has the martial arts aikido? ie a school or some guys who get together and practice it?

Failing that are their any tae kwon do schools/clubs or other types of martial arts around there that someone could direct me to?

thanks
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
Re: Martial arts in petawawa? (Aikido, taekwondo)
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 17:19:36 »
I've found this link...

http://www.psppetawawa.com/index.php?content=clubs&PHPSESSID=44d070e3df235173d40d17c6f38d7765

It states Jiu Jitsu, Karate, Ninjitsu, Boxing, and Kickboxing from what I can see. Im not seeing aikido though...

Hope thats of some help.
The true measure of a man is how well he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good

Munit Haec et Altera Vincit

"2..4..6..8..tiptoe, sneak, and infiltrate, yaaaaaay, recce!" - Kat Stevens

Offline Island Ryhno

• Rate Post
  • "Tough times go away, Tough people do not"
The Martial Arts Superthread
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 14:02:10 »
Alright so I'm moving back to Edmonton in August and I'm looking for a good gym in the North end (East or West) or possibly the West end (close to West Ed, around Stony Plain Road) I haven't been there for five years and I would like some opinions. Also I'm interested in Martial Arts as well, currently I'm doing TKD and Judo. Anybody have any suggestions on some good MMA clubs in the same aforementioned areas? Thanks to all who reply!
"A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living."
-John F. Kennedy (JFK)

bled12345

Re: Gyms and Martial Arts in Edmonton
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 14:10:34 »
panthers gym

Offline wotan

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 14:21:48 »
A few martial arts clubs can be found at http://www.discoveredmonton.com/Edmonton/BusinessIndex/MartialArts/ as well as http://www.buyitcanada.com/Edmonton/Sports/Martial-Arts/ 

As for gyms, there are a crapload around, but the Base Gym is pretty well equipped as well and a whole lot cheaper.  Depending on what unit you are being posted to, they may have a gym within unit lines, too.

Anyway, hope this helps.  Best of luck on your move and welcome to Edmonton!

You are correct, Madame, I am drunk.  But you are ugly and in the morning I will be sober.

Offline paracowboy

• I keep sayin' it...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Make The Voices Stop!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 15:34:47 »
As for gyms, there are a crapload around, but the Base Gym is pretty well equipped as well and a whole lot cheaper.   Depending on what unit you are being posted to, they may have a gym within unit lines, too.
3 VP has a better gym in the lines than the base gym, and better than some civvie gyms. If you are interested, there's a kick-*** (hey! A pun. I made a funny!) kickboxing/TKD club on base.
...time to cull the herd.

Offline Island Ryhno

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 16:28:56 »
Sorry guys, should have noted I will not be on base. (at least not for a while) I'm going in civvy land. I'm returning to the forces as hopefully and AVN Tech, but have been told it is a considerable wait. So being the unemployed bum that I am, I have to go to the great west and make some moolah along the way. So anything on the civvy side for a while. Also as an aside, does anybody know the reserve unit websites for Edmonton (Loyal Edmonton or an Armoured Res if it's out there) I may go with the reserves once I move up there, in which case I will be able to use the base stuff. But I need civvy info for know. Thanks guys!
"A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living."
-John F. Kennedy (JFK)

Offline wotan

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 17:55:21 »
LERs:  http://www.army.dnd.ca/LOYAL_EDMONTON_REGT/

SALH:  http://www.army.dnd.ca/SOUTH_AB_LIGHT_HORSE/

LFWA HQ:  http://www.army.gc.ca/lfwa/contents.html

If you are looking at going AVN TECH, you will want to bear 408 Sqn in mind as well.  They are a mixed Reg F/P Res unit flying the Griffon.  The LFWA site is good, because it lists all units, including links to the P Res units and formations.  Cheers.
You are correct, Madame, I am drunk.  But you are ugly and in the morning I will be sober.

Offline Island Ryhno

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 21:10:55 »
Cheers mate, thanks for the info. I may still go armoured regs so I might look into the Light Horse unit. Appreciate that!
-John F. Kennedy (JFK)

Offline paracowboy

• I keep sayin' it...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Make The Voices Stop!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 22:30:36 »
you dirty, greasy, sandal-wearin', granola-munchin', tree-huggin', dope-smokin', civvies are allowed to work out at the Base gym, as well. So I guess that's still an option for you. No offense.

;D  ;)

Offline Island Ryhno

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2005, 21:14:06 »
Para, now now, I'm still an ex "crunchie." What about the gym you mentioned that 3vp uses, is that available to the public as well? Also any idea on the cost for a civvy to use the cf gym? I think it may be too far for me, I'm looking at the west end for living so. Again if anybody has any suggestions on gyms in the west end that would be great, thanks!
-John F. Kennedy (JFK)

Offline paracowboy

• I keep sayin' it...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Make The Voices Stop!
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 08:27:30 »
no, it wouldn't be feasible to go to either the 3VP gym, or the base gym if you're going to the west end. I'll ask around for you, though.

Offline Robert S

• Rate Post
Martial Arts Prize Fighting
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 23:00:56 »
Hi guys, im just posting this to let you know that Canada is trying to ban prize fighting.
As a martial artist who likes to compete, I will post this link to a federal petition, please sign it.
If you have reasons for not wanting to sign it please post here, just so I can understand if you understand this law and the petition against it.
http://www.mikemiles.com/federalpetition.pdf
Pure Sentinel. Pure Power.
God bless Canada.

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Martial Arts Prize Fighting
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 23:06:41 »
Hi guys, im just posting this to let you know that Canada is trying to ban prize fighting.
As a martial artist who likes to compete, I will post this link to a federal petition, please sign it.
If you have reasons for not wanting to sign it please post here, just so I can understand if you understand this law and the petition against it.
http://www.mikemiles.com/federalpetition.pdf

Warvstar:

Can you expand on this issue a bit?  Did Section 83 get recently amended?  As far as I know, martial arts have been legal here so far, what prompts this petition now?
I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand.

Linus van Pelt

Offline Robert S

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005, 23:16:43 »
Warvstar:

Can you expand on this issue a bit?   Did Section 83 get recently amended?   As far as I know, martial arts have been legal here so far, what prompts this petition now?

All the Canadian martial arts web sites are talking about this, here is a qoute from Mixed Martial Arts Expo
Mixed Martial Arts Expo has learned that when Parliament reconvenes in September, 2005, the Federal Government under the direction of MP Dr. Irwin Colter, Minister of Justice and Attorney General, will table revisions to Section 83 of the Criminal Code, an old and vague piece of legislation designed to prevent prize fighting in Canada.
God bless Canada.

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005, 23:19:48 »
All the Canadian martial arts web sites are talking about this, here is a qoute from Mixed Martial Arts Expo
Mixed Martial Arts Expo has learned that when Parliament reconvenes in September, 2005, the Federal Government under the direction of MP Dr. Irwin Colter, Minister of Justice and Attorney General, will table revisions to Section 83 of the Criminal Code, an old and vague piece of legislation designed to prevent prize fighting in Canada.

Thanks.  Although I won't be signing the petition soon, I'll do some research and perhaps sign it in the future.  On the surface, this looks like horse patootie - more to follow later.
I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand.

Linus van Pelt

Offline Robert S

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2005, 17:53:06 »
Exactly Retired CC. Im not asking people to blindly write it, definetly read up on it then consider. Thanks for looking into it though.
God bless Canada.

Offline Mojo Magnum

• Mojo Magnum
  • Rate Post
Re: Military Martial Arts
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2005, 09:10:04 »
very nice,
I'm looking forward to taking every bit of martial arts I can get my hands (and feet) on.
hoo rah.
Hazaa!

Offline paracowboy

• I keep sayin' it...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Make The Voices Stop!
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2005, 09:29:36 »
Systema is not ancient. It is effective.

Offline Chimo

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2005, 13:11:14 »
I think that unarmed combat should be part of each units PT program. Of course this would take a huge cultural change in many of the units. I think it should be introduced at basic and continued through each level of training. This training would be reinforced at the unit level through competition and practise.

The younger troops enjoy the challenge and feel that they benefit from it. We need to make instructor courses readily available and then use the instructors for that purpose. :salute:
All my heroes are soldiers...and all my soldiers are heroes.

Offline Kat Stevens

Quando omni flunkus moritati.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2005, 13:24:32 »
First we need to convince the pointy heads that aggression is not a bad trait in a soldier.  I joined in '80, and even then we were getting fluffier.  I was a pretty fair amateur boxer as a teen, when I asked my recruiter about army boxing, he looked at me like a cow looking at a new gate.  Other than the LIBs, good aggressive training doesn't exist in combat arms.  It takes far less imagination to run 4 times a week than to sign out some rubber training knives and toss each other about a large mat for an hour.  Bring back boxing, pugil sticks, and bear pit.  Even a unit rugby team would instill some fight.  Hire a qualified jiu jutsu teacher at each Garrison, and for gods sake, use him/her.  We lost sight of the fact that our job, ultimately is to hurt people if we have to....my $.02

Kat
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2005, 22:11:39 »
I had the chance, about 10 years ago, to spend some time on ex with some South Korean Special Forces types.  All small men but as hard as they come.  Their nickname in the ROK is "Steel Men".

Anywhoo... they practised and swore by Tae-Kwon-Do.  For the unintitiated, Tae-Kwon-Do is a particulary vicious form of Karate.  Among some other arts, I studied Tae-Kwon-Do for a couple of years and found it particularly suited to close-in combat.

I know that the CF regularly fields and supports Tae-Kwon-Do teams in both CISM and CIOR leading me to believe that Tae-Kwon-Do is the de-facto "official"  Martial Art of the CF.  There was even a CF patron appointed, however his name escapes me.

Comments?

Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Kat Stevens

Quando omni flunkus moritati.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2005, 22:44:07 »
The CISM ninjas all do their training on weekends and evenings, I believe, ie on their own time.  Back in the early part of my carreer we also sent competitiors to judo and boxing CISM events, all training on their own time.  I think everyone in the combat arms should at least be given basic instuction.  Also keep a kubotan in their webbing, and know how to use it.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats