Author Topic: The Martial Arts Superthread  (Read 50366 times)

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: The Martial Arts Superthread
« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2009, 04:21:37 »
We had this discussion in another thread about TKD and Muay Thai and various other combative sports.

I am of the opinion that these sports would benefit most members, if not only for the fitness aspect of it. I can see an argument not to let members compete in such sports, but definitely think you should be allowed to train in those areas.

I am currently trying to get approved to train in Muay Thai, not compete, but just to train. It is a great workout, fun, motivational, and obviously could have it's uses, even if it's only a mental and fitness edge. If I can't get it approved, I'm hoping to get Kenpo Karate approved, since TKD and Kenpo are different arts but in competition they're nearly identical. I may also try for BJJ approval. Training in BJJ is very safe. As long as you're not stupid enough to not tap, little damage can be done. If you are that dumb, you might deserve to have your arm snapped off.

I also remember looking at the many CF Sports HOF members that are posted up at the Mega, and a large amount of them were for boxing. Boxing is such a traditional military sport too. I agree whole-heartedly you should be able to train in these areas.

It is definitely back asswards.

Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller

Offline Brodie

• Rate Post
Is there any BJJ going on at the base gym at CFB Edmonton?
« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2016, 16:56:48 »
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread.

Many bases now have BJJ clubs and I am just newly posted to CFB Edmonton and am hooping to train at the base gym.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Is there any BJJ going on at the base gym at CFB Edmonton?
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2016, 17:04:54 »
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread.

For reference, perhaps,

Is there any BJJ going on at the base gym at CFB Edmonton?

will be merged with,

The Martial Arts Superthread
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,706.150.html
7 pages.