Author Topic: Paid Education [Merged]  (Read 95767 times)

koach

Re: reserve education
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2004, 12:44:00 »
First read DAOD 5031-3 Reimbursement under the CF Personal Enhancement Program (available on the internet).  Then contact the unit to which you have applied and ask them if they have any information.  I don‘t have the document in front of me but I heard that there are some recent changes to this program that affects the reserves.

This information will probably not help you because in order to be entitled to reimbursement as a member of the reserves, you must have completed either three years continuous service or four years cumulative service.

The only other thing that I can think of is CEOTP.

Offline Spartan

• Prairie Type
  • Rate Post
  • They're watching.
Re: reserve education
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2004, 15:36:00 »
thought you only had to have one yr with the unit to then apply for tuition reimbursement??
BMQ MCpl:
"Being in the army is like being a mushroom - kept in the dark, fed crap and keep coming back for more."

Offline hoser

• Rate Post
Masters Degree
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2004, 03:37:00 »
I know I‘m jumping the gun here, but I‘m curious than anything. I have to get accepted first, obviously, and then depending on the circumstances in a number of years I‘d have to see if its still feasible.  But I figure, what the heck, I‘ll ask.

I‘m referring to this:   Educational Reimbursement, specifically the officer advanced degree part time.  I‘ve thought for some time that I‘d be interested this in civilian life, and I don‘t think my decision to join the CF changes this much.  

The questions I have pertain to its availability.  It mentions in the ADM(HR-MIL) Instruction that the CF forsees a need for senior officers to have an advanced degree.  Does this mean that junior officers aren‘t likely to get this?  

It also mentions that it depends on budget limitations.  Now based on current financial issues with the forces, I could definitely understand this being such a low priority that it recieves little funding.  This also goes back to the junior officer remark in that if little funds are available then I assume they‘re awarded on some sort of seniority basis.  But I‘m more curious if this is such strictly funding-strapped that its technically available according to the books, but its really not feasible for the average officer.

I guess I‘m more curious than anything, because if its not available its still something that I‘d like to do out of my own pocket.  Its just the recruiting office really seemed to play the availability of post-graduate education, so I‘m more curious if its fill out the forms and the CO will approve it, or if its really quite competitive.  The one clerk at the place mentioned that he‘d be working on a part-time bachelors for years, and it was basically available to everybody who applied.

And just for the record, the program I‘ve been looking at is a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering through a distance learning program.

Offline hoser

• Rate Post
Re: Masters Degree
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2004, 04:00:00 »
Also, I‘m not sure if this applies to recruiting per se, but I wasn‘t quite sure where to post it.  

And I‘m thinking this topic might be a long shot to get answered, but I‘m hoping that one of the regular officers who reads this has looked into it before or perhaps knows someone who has.

Offline bossi

• "vae soli, vae victus"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • The puck stops here ('War On Ice'!) Fight Smarter!
    • My pix (on MSN)
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2004, 05:00:00 »
At this point in time, the CF helps you obtain your "first" degree without too much hesitation.

However, it‘s a little more difficult to get subsidies for a Masters‘ degree.

My kneejerk reaction is that you‘ll be busy enough/have your hands full for the first little while after you‘re enrolled - then, once you come up for air, you‘ll have been in long enough to know the ins and outs about subsidies for Masters‘ programmes.

The most conservative advice would be "don‘t hold your breath", at least not right away ...

Having said all of that, the Masters‘ you‘re considering is probably one that‘s fairly attractive for the CF - a point in your favour, but then again ... it might also be coloured by the university issuing it (I‘ve got a funny hunch they‘d prefer Canadian universities to foreign, unless there‘s some unique benefit to spending our money abroad ...)
Junior officers and NCOs who neglect to guide the thinking of their men are shirking a command responsibility.
-Feb 1955 Cbt Forces Journal
Those who appreciate true valour should in their daily intercourse set gentleness first and aim to win the love and esteem of others. If you affect valour and act with violence, the world will in the end detest you and look upon you as wild beasts. Of this you should take heed.
-Emperor Meiji: Rescript to Soldiers and Sailors, 4 January 1883

Offline hoser

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2004, 05:24:00 »
Yeah, I‘m knowingly looking into this with a little naivety.  My thinking was along the same lines as what you said, I‘ll probably have my hands full.  Plus, I‘m single and unattached to anything right now, and that could all change in three or four years (which is probably the most realistic guess of when I would look into this). These are the circumstances I alluded to originally that could very well change. Also I wouldn‘t even consider this idea until all my training is done, and thats at least two years off anyways.  

But its good to know that its generally more difficult than a bachelors degree.  Its not the answer I was hoping for, but at least I don‘t get too locked into the idea.

Offline Aquilus

• Rate Post
CANFORGEN - Reserve Education Reimbursement
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2003, 23:36:00 »
Education

The Canadian Forces have recently announced a plan to compensate its members, including reservists, who are upgrading their education if that education is related to the member’s trade. In brief, the Canadian Forces will repay 50 percent of all tuition, books and fees, up to a maximum of $2,000 per year. This benefit is tax-free.

Royal Military College of Canada

Check out RMC’s website for more information.
 The Royal Military College of Canada

Q. If accepted it says you do basic training in the summer previous to 1st year, would that mean after I complete high school they would send me straight to basic?

A. Yes.

Q. What should I prepare for before I apply to go to RMC?

A. Participate in team sports. Be physically fit.
There is no set minimum academic average for RMC. However, 80% is usually the lowest that will be considered. Although 90% seems to be what you should be aiming for.
Volunteer in your community. Assume leadership roles such as heading a committee or something like student council.

Q. What types of classes should I take and which are most important to get into RMC?

A. Sciences are a must for engineering applicants, but are always helpful. Take leadership courses and psychology if available.
 Take Math, English, and your Social Sciences.  

Q. How long will I have to serve with the Canadian Forces after I graduate from RMC?

A. The normal period of obligatory service for ROTP is five years after graduation, but in some Military Occupations, such as pilot, this period can be longer.

Stakhanov

Education Reimbursement
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2004, 00:37:12 »
I have heard a rumour that this is being cancelled...if it is, when is it cancelled?  Is it already?

PTE Gruending

Re: Education Reimbursement
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2004, 00:58:17 »
I have heard this rumour as well... both from members on this board, and people in my unit who have heard in a round-about way. This totally sucks....

Offline ~RoKo~

• Living the dream. I think...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Personal Text:
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2004, 01:08:11 »
What's been passed down to me is that it was a trial program, and the period for which it was supposed to last is comming to an end, and they don't know if it will be renewed or not. There has been some pressure from the brass for extending it until a replacement program can be put in place, but I haven't heard any news (good or bad).

So watch and shoot. I'd really like to see it extended, it really helps with tuition.

Offline Frank the Tank

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2004, 01:19:26 »
Heu..  Sorry to ask that, but what's about reimbursement in this tread??

R031button

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2004, 01:40:54 »
I can't believe their thinking of discontinuing the renbursment program. I mean, I know of at least 7 or 8 other recruits(to a regiment of about 100) that are joining primarily for the educational advantage. If the army wants to build up it's number, as I am sure it does, it should be pushing programs in, not cutting them back.

mattoigta

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2004, 01:42:44 »
I can't believe their thinking of discontinuing the renbursment program. I mean, I know of at least 7 or 8 other recruits(to a regiment of about 100) that are joining primarily for the educational advantage. If the army wants to build up it's number, as I am sure it does, it should be pushing programs in, not cutting them back.

Definately, this is really unwise, IMO

Offline CFN. Orange

• Rate Post
  • Proud to be Canadian ARTE ET MARTE
    • http://www.25service.ca
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2004, 02:19:11 »
This rumor isn't a rumor its true.... Our unit already started a petition within the unit about the cancellation of the reinbursement program. Because of it we have already gained 80 plus signatures I suggest doing this in your own units so it can be passed up the chain of command
Proud to drink and be Canadian.
True Blue Leafs Fan.
ARTE ET MARTE

R421 Weaps Tech (land)
25 Svc Bn (Toronto)

Offline NMPeters

• Rate Post
  • Old Soldier
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2004, 10:57:39 »
This is NOT the Army cancelling a program. This was a trial, conducted by the HR world within the Canadian Forces, that is scheduled to complete in August of this year. The Army is actively petitioning to have this program continued. The Army realizes its benefits and wants it continued as much as everyone else does. I'm sure the Navy, Air and other commands are also concerned that this trial is soon ending.

ags281

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2004, 16:50:31 »
I should certainly hope they continue it, or at least create a similar replacement. With the difficulty of getting on course and lack of a guarantee for summer work, the education bonus is just about the only thing that students can be positive they'll get sometimes. Without that program, I'm pretty sure many units would start to die, as a number of students would have to give it up for other jobs that are more reliable. Tossing out the primary recruitment demographic wouldn't be cool. I think that, right up to the very top, people have realized the value of the program during this trial and will keep it around (or at least I hope).

Offline Allan Luomala

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2004, 20:02:33 »
I'm curious as to what end a petition would have on a government policy. Call me cynical, but the powers that be aren't going to be swayed by a petition. I'm sure if the members of the Canadian Airborne Regiment circulated a position to stop their disbandment, it would have received 10's of thousands of signatures (or hundred's of thousands....). I don't think that would have swayed their (the gov't) decision.

A classic line comes to mind: "We're here to defend democracy, not practice it". I'm not a barrack block lawyer (enough in this forum already....) but I think a petition could be a dangerous thing to be running around with. Let your shop steward handle the matter. Oh, I forgot, we're not in a union, either...... Holding your breath until your face turns blue won't work, either.

Learn to accept what comes your way. You're a member of the military, not an office drone, who can go on strike because they cancelled the company picnic.

Al

Stakhanov

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2004, 11:17:26 »
So it will be coming to an end in August, as the trial period is over?  I dunno, one would almost think you could get the government on false advertising, as all the recruitment posters I see on busses etc, still have that program advertised in shiny big bold letters, just waiting to sap in us poor university students!.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
CANFORGEN - Reserve Education Reimbursement
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2004, 12:26:38 »
Excuse the "all caps", that's how CANFORGENS get published.

CANFORGEN 135/04 ADMHRMIL 068 021526Z NOV 04
EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT- PRIMARY RESERVE (P RES)

UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. CBI 210.801
B. ADM(HR-MIL) INSTRUCTION 04/01

1. A FOUR-YEAR TRIAL TO PROVIDE EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT FOR THE P RES
CONCLUDED IN AUG 04. THE TRIAL WAS MOST SUCCESSFUL AND IT IS BEING
IMPLEMENTED AS A SUBSTANTIVE CF PROGRAM THAT INCLUDES BOTH UNDERGRADUATE AND
GRADUATE PROGRAMS AT CANADIAN UNIVERSITIES OR COLLEGES.

2. EFFECTIVE 1 SEP 04 IAW THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS SET OUT IN REF A,
ELIGIBLE P RES OFFICERS AND NCMS WHO HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THE BASIC
MILITARY QUAL (BMQ) COURSE REQ D BY THEIR ENVIRONMENT MAY CLAIM FIFTY
PERCENT OF EDUCATION EXPENSES TO A MAX OF $2K PER ACADEMIC YEAR AND A CAREER
MAX OF $8K (INCLUDING EXPENDITURES UNDER THE TRIAL) FOR POST SECONDARY
EDUCATION LEADING TO A DIPLOMA, DEGREE OR ADVANCED DEGREE AT A CANADIAN
COLLEGE, UNIVERSITY OR ACCREDITED EDUCATION INSTITUTION. REIMBURSEMENT IS
SUBJECT TO SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF ACADEMIC COURSES AND MAINTENANCE OF
EFFECTIVE STRENGTH STATUS IN THE P RES.

3. TO ACCESS THE PROGRAM, MBRS SHALL SUBMIT AN INDIVIDUAL LEARNING PLAN
(ILP) THROUGH THEIR UNIT TO THE W/BPSO OUTLINING THEIR EDUCATION PRIORITIES,
OBJECTIVES AND ASSOCIATED COSTS.

4. CLAIMS FOR THE ACADEMIC YR SEP 03 TO AUG 04 MAY BE PROCESSED IAW REF
B.

5. INFORMATION ON THE PROGRAM IS PROVIDED ON THE CDA WEB SITE INTRANET
http://HTTP://CDA-ACD.MIL.CA/INDEX/ENGRAPH/HOME_E.ASP
<http://cda-acd.mil.ca/index/engraph/home_e.asp> . INTERNET
http://HTTP://WWW.CDA-ACD.FORCES.GC.CA/INDEX/ENGRAPH/HOME_E.ASP
<http://www.cda-acd.forces.gc.ca/index/engraph/home_e.asp> . QUESTIONS MAY
BE DIRECTED THROUGH UNITS TO W/BPSO. A TOLL FREE NUMBER HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED
AT 1-888-541-6889 AND WILL BE AVAILABLE TO ASSIST MEMBERS FOR EXTENDED HOURS
AS PER THE CDA WEB SITE.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
CANFORGEN - Changes to CF Education Reimbursement Programs
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2004, 12:29:17 »
Excuse the 'all caps, that's how CANFORGENS get published.

CANFORGEN 136/04 ADMHRMIL 067 021555Z NOV 04
CHANGES TO CF EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT PROGRAMS

UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. DAOD 5031-3
<http://admfincs.mil.ca/admfincs/subjects/daod/5031/3_e.asp> 
B. CANFORGEN 042/01
<http://vcds.dwan.dnd.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2001/042-01_e.asp> 
C. CBI 210.80
D. ADM (HR-MIL) INSTR 17/04 EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT FOR THE REG
FORCE
E. CBI 210.802 SKILLS COMPLETION PROGRAM - REGULAR FORCE
F. ADM (HR-MIL) INSTR 06/03 ADVANCED DEGREE PART-TIME PROGRAM FOR
REG FORCE OFFICERS
G. ADM (HR-MIL) INSTR 01/99 EDUCATION UPGRADING (PART-TIME) FOR
SERVING REG FORCE OFFICERS
H. ADM (HR-MIL) INSTR 18/04 ADVANCED DEGREE PART-TIME PROGRAM FOR
REG FORCE OFFICERS
I. ADM (HR-MIL) INSTR 19/04 INITIAL BACCALAUREATE DEGREE PART- TIME
FOR REG FORCE OFFICERS
J. CANFORGEN 114/04
<http://vcds.dwan.dnd.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2004/114-04_e.asp> 
K. CBI 210.801 EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT - P RES

1. FOLLOWING A COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW OF EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT (ER)
PROGRAMS THAT ENCOURAGE STUDY ON THE MEMBERS OWN TIME, A REVISED SUITE OF
PROGRAMS DESIGNED TO PROMOTE CONTINUOUS LEARNING HAS BEEN APPROVED. FULL
TIME SUBSIDIZED PROGRAMS ARE UNCHANGED.

2. EFFECTIVE 1 NOV 04 EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT UNDER THE PERSONAL
ENHANCEMENT PROGRAM (PEP ER) AT REFS A AND B IS CANCELLED AND REPLACED BY
THE REG FORCE ER PROGRAM (REG F ER) AND THE SKILLS COMPLETION PROGRAM (SCP).

3. REG F ER AT REF D PROVIDES FOR THE REIMBURSEMENT OF EDUCATION
EXPENSES FOR OFFICERS AND NCMS WHO WISH TO UNDERTAKE PART-TIME STUDY TO
UPGRADE THEIR EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS IN THE INTEREST OF
THE CF.

4. SCP AT REF E PROVIDES FOR THE REIMBURSEMENT OF EDUCATION EXPENSES
FOR ELIGIBLE REG FORCE MBRS TO UPGRADE THEIR MILITARY SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
TO A CIVILIAN EQUIVALENT OR TO OBTAIN A CIVILIAN CERTIFICATION OR BOTH
LEADING DIRECTLY TO SECOND CAREER CIVILIAN EMPLOYMENT. MBRS WITH TEN YEARS
OF CUMULATIVE REG F SVC MAY BE ELIGIBLE FOR REIMBURSEMENT TO A MAXIMUM OF
FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR UP TO TWO YEARS AFTER RELEASE OR TRANSFER FROM THE
REG F. AN INDIVIDUAL LEARNING PLAN (ILP) SHALL BE SUBMITTED TO THE B/WPSO
FOR APPROVAL NLT 30 DAYS BEFORE RELEASE OR TRANSFER. MBRS WITH A UNIVERSITY
DEGREE, COLLEGE DIPLOMA, CURRENT CIVILIAN PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION OR
TRADE ACCREDITATION ARE NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR REIMBURSEMENT UNDER SCP.

5. THE ADVANCED DEGREE PART-TIME AND EDUCATION UPGRADING PART-TIME
PROGRAMS FOR REG F OFFICERS AT REFS F AND G HAVE BEEN AMENDED TO SET THE
MAXIMUM ER LIMIT AT TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS. REFS H AND I PROVIDE
DETAILS.

6. TO ACCESS ALL ER PROGRAMS, MEMBERS SHALL SUBMIT AN ILP AS DIRECTED
BY THE CANADIAN DEFENCE ACADEMY (CDA) OUTLINING THEIR EDUCATION PRIORITIES,
OBJECTIVES, PROPOSED COURSES AND ESTIMATED COSTS. ILP INFORMATION IS
PROVIDED ON THE CDA WEBSITE.

7. SERVING REG AND RES MBRS WHO HAVE MADE IRREVOCABLE FINANCIAL
COMMITMENTS PRIOR TO 1 NOV 04 MAY SUBMIT A CLAIM TO THE DESIGNATED B/WPSO
FOR CONSIDERATION BY CDA UNDER THE TERMS OF THE ER PROGRAM IN EFFECT PRIOR
TO 1 NOV 04. IAW REF J, FOR COURSES STARTED ON OR AFTER 20 AUG 04, ER WILL
ONLY BE PROVIDED FOR COURSES AND PROGRAMS LEADING TO A UNIVERSITY OR COLLEGE
DEGREE/DIPLOMA, SECONDARY SCHOOL COMPLETION OR EQUIVALENCY OR PROFESSIONAL
CERTIFICATE. PERSONAL INTEREST COURSES, LEISURE COURSES OR LEARNING
ACTIVITIES THAT ARE NOT IN THE INTEREST OF THE CF OR DO NOT DIRECTLY LEAD TO
SECOND CAREER EMPLOYMENT WILL NOT BE REIMBURSED.

8. FORMER REG FORCE MEMBERS RELEASED PRIOR TO 1 NOV 04 MAY SUBMIT AN
ILP TO CDA FOR CONSIDERATION UNDER THE TERMS OF THE ER PROGRAM THAT WAS IN
EFFECT ON THEIR RELEASE DATE.

9. FULL TIME P RES MEMBERS ARE TO REFER TO REF K FOR DETAILS ON THE NEW
P RES ER PROGRAM.

10. CF ER PROGRAM DETAILS ARE AVAILABLE ON THE CDA WEBSITE INTRANET
http://HTTP://CDA-ACD.MIL.CA/INDEX/ENGRAPH/HOME_E.ASP
<http://cda-acd.mil.ca/index/engraph/home_e.asp>  OR INTERNET
http://HTTP://WWW.CDA-ACD.FORCES.GC.CA/INDEX/ENGRAPH/HOME_E.ASP
<http://www.cda-acd.forces.gc.ca/index/engraph/home_e.asp>  A TOLL FREE LINE
HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED AT 1-888-541- 6889 TO PROVIDE ASSISTANCE TO MEMBERS
DURING EXTENDED HOURS SET OUT ON THE WEBSITES.

Offline Northern Touch

• Rate Post
  • Not a total FNG
Re: CANFORGEN - Reserve Education Reimbursement
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2004, 16:11:39 »
Well that's some good news for us students! :)
Never ask anyone to do something your not willing to do yourself

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2004, 04:13:01 »
Mike: you beat me to the punch! Great news! Cheers.
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline Matt_Fisher

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Former Marine
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2004, 18:01:24 »
That's great news!  I wish that program had been in place when I was in the reserves.

Offline Proud Forester

• Tenacious and Versitile
  • Rate Post
    • G&SF
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2004, 08:18:17 »
Mike: you beat me to the punch! Great news! Cheers.

ditto, well some of the guys in my mess were pretty pleases that it was back.

Offline IT_Dude_Joeschmo

• Rate Post
  • Getting 1's and 0's to flow...
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2004, 23:11:15 »
I am SOOOOO glad that the program has been instituted!!! It just makes sense!

This is a huge benefit for someone like me who has been living on thier own since 18, working full time and DOESN'T QUALIFY for OSAP!!!

Question if someone could help.

The recruiter told me this program works only if it has relevance to your job in the reserves or future career with the Forces. Understandable obviously, but would a diploma from college in Law+Security or Police Foundations be reimbursed if I'm Infantry????

Joe
 ???
"When I retire, I want to become a gay Hollywood actor, they always make more money!"... My old boss's plans ;)

ACISS-IST's, look here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/239432422884449

PS> It's not a trap!